PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Stargate game

Immabozo
2013-06-07, 07:43 PM
I, personally, absolutely LOVE Stargate SG-1, Atlantis was a decent spin-off, but not as good as the first, Universe was a completely different show and almost nothing like it's namesake.

I was thinking, for a game in the Stargate universe, AC, HP and damage would have to completely change from 3.5. I was thinking HP would be a fixed value, and then an additional effect per weapon if the head or torso is hit. Like class's hp + con, a bullet does 4 damage, if it hits upper torso, it does 6 damage, head is 8 damage, with a head shot, a staff weapon does 2 damage, but causes morale damage, possibly making people run away.

AC would be from tech and then miss chance. A personal shield should be VERY difficult to get and then would stop anything, but would have limited juice, a flak jacket would be rated on how big of bullets it could stop. Knowledge (tactics) would be vital to setting up an ambush, which would allow you concealment, a surprise round, first action, etc.

A soldier class would be able to train in the use of weapons, train in sharpshooting, etc. A sharpshooter would be required to intentionally score a head shot. A soldier gaining levels would "gain ranks" and would dictate who he can give orders to. A soldier would be required to set up a half decent ambush.

A scientist would be required to specify specialties and could identify languages, communicate, find hidden clues, learn the alien technology, remember the gate addresses to more planets, etc.

A medic would be able to heal their allies, would be trained in firearms, but not as specialized as a soldier.

A Jaffa would be trained in the use of Goa'uld weaponry, they would speak Goa'uld, have increased strength, increased regeneration, resistant to disease, poisons (but susceptible to symbiote poisons), radiation, increased lifespan, but dependent on a symbiote in it's incubation pouch. The effects of a shot to the stomach kills the symbiote, potentially killing the Jaffa, or seriously wounding him and with no replacement symbiote, killing him a few days later.

What do you guys think?

eftexar
2013-06-07, 07:49 PM
If you have d20 future, or d20 modern, I would start with it as a base (or at least to compare notes to). It's abilities don't really scale by level and the progression/bonuses are kept more in control than 3.5.

Grinner
2013-06-07, 07:51 PM
Or try Traveller or D6 Space. D&D 3.5 is a terrible choice.

Edit: Also, it might be wise to describe the setting first. This will both pare down what your priorities are and also help those unfamiliar with the franchise contribute.

eftexar
2013-06-07, 07:54 PM
I've never played D6 but from what I've seen, and heard, it looks to be a pretty good system.

Also, I forgot nWoD might be even better yet. It lacks rules for future tech, at least as far as I am aware, but is perhaps the most 'realistic' system I have ever seen. It's particularly good for the horror genre.

Immabozo
2013-06-07, 08:34 PM
I've never played D6 but from what I've seen, and heard, it looks to be a pretty good system.

Also, I forgot nWoD might be even better yet. It lacks rules for future tech, at least as far as I am aware, but is perhaps the most 'realistic' system I have ever seen. It's particularly good for the horror genre.

I'm unfamiliar with the "nWoD" acronym. Whats it mean?

Talya
2013-06-07, 08:36 PM
I'm unfamiliar with the "nWoD" acronym. Whats it mean?

New World of Darkness? Should be NWoD.

eftexar
2013-06-07, 10:53 PM
Yeah, World of Darkness is what I was thinking of. It uses the storyteller (or was it storytelling) system if you want to Wikipedia it.

Tovec
2013-06-07, 11:13 PM
There is a Stargate RPG out there. Might be a little trouble to get the pdfs but they certainly exist. I don't know how good the system is but I know it exists already. As far as I know it was even modeled by season; giving plots based on episodes, if I recall correctly.

Immabozo
2013-06-08, 06:44 AM
There is a Stargate RPG out there. Might be a little trouble to get the pdfs but they certainly exist. I don't know how good the system is but I know it exists already. As far as I know it was even modeled by season; giving plots based on episodes, if I recall correctly.

I knew of one game modeled after a specific episode, I have heard of others, that one sounds great and I'd love to find it, but I have never been able to find the PDFs, or even somebody's text on the internet talking about it, or even off hand mentions of rules or how they work. I thought I was getting invited into a group that did, at one point, but it turned out to have nothing but teasing descriptions of the game, but no rules themselves.

But I would love to learn more about all of the above systems.

I think someone mentioned the other night about the NWoD system about attacks having X many dice of damage and armor being rated at Y, where Y was the number of dice it blocked, so you only did damage if your weapon did more dice in damage than the armor blocked (the example was "my blaster does 7D6 damage and your armor blocks 2 dice, so only 5 dice are rolled for damage").

Debihuman
2013-06-08, 06:19 PM
Have you checked here: http://www.stargate-rpg.com/

Debby

Immabozo
2013-06-08, 06:22 PM
Have you checked here: http://www.stargate-rpg.com/

Debby

Off a quick glance, this seems to be exactly what I am looking for, thank you

Tovec
2013-06-16, 11:40 PM
So, have you had any luck? I saw that link but couldn't find any links to actual pdfs to buy.

For my two cents I have a buddy who wanted to run a SG game and started doing work for it.. that he decided to use WOD in some sense is all I know for sure. He said, and I agree, that it probably works better to model a "human" experience closer than a d20/3e system would.

Immabozo
2013-06-17, 12:34 AM
I agree. I would work it that HP is a fixed value, does not increase with level, and skills in marksman, languages and things like that would be super duper important. But I haven't sat down and done any work on it yet.

I want to work it so that having a scientist/linguist is vital. It would start out with you being unable to speak a language not found on earth and learning to communicate beyond basic thoughts would be highly difficult and then hugely rewarding (as it was in the show) for figuring out how to communicate with them.

And then combat would be something that a high level has an edge in, but a level 20 should still be shaking in their boots when faced by 10 level 5s, but a proper ambush wouldn't be scary and how it works setting up an ambush.

I've got some good ideas, I'll just have to sit down and type them out.