PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Fiendforming into an Imp ... and casting its SLA's!

Miss Disaster
2013-06-07, 08:29 PM
Let's say a PC with the following build:

Human Fighter 2 / Sorceror 10 (has a magic item that gives +1 CL to all Necromancy spells)

... casts a Fiendform (http://dndtools.eu/spells/complete-arcane--55/fiendform--544/) spell (this link is for the CompArc version, not the SpC) and assumes the form of a Bloodbag Imp (Fiend Folio p.98).

When it comes time for this character to cast the Bloodbag Imp's 1/Day SLA of Vampiric Touch (Necromancy spell), what will be the Caster Level of this specific SLA?

* The Fiend Folio has the Bloodbag Imp's SLA CL listed as 6th level.
* The character has a Character Level of 12.
* The character has a Caster Level of 10 ... and 11 for Necromancy spells.

Thanks for your help!

Venger
2013-06-08, 02:21 PM
you retain your own HD with fiendform, so you would use 12 (your number of HD) for the cl, dealing 6d6 points of damage.

your magic item does not apply since it applies to necromancy spells. SLAs are not spells.

Miss Disaster
2013-06-08, 09:41 PM
you retain your own HD with fiendform, so you would use 12 (your number of HD) for the cl, dealing 6d6 points of damage.

your magic item does not apply since it applies to necromancy spells. SLAs are not spells.Thank you, Venger. I appreciate the clarification. :smallsmile:

Venger
2013-06-08, 10:05 PM
Thank you, Venger. I appreciate the clarification. :smallsmile:

you're quite welcome

Crake
2013-06-09, 10:15 AM

your magic item does not apply since it applies to necromancy spells. SLAs are not spells.

Actually, since the bloodbag imp has a set caster level of 6 (which has no ties to it's HD of 4) you would cast at CL 6 regardless since the bloodbag imp's spell like ability section has no mention of CL scaling with HD

Miss Disaster
2013-06-09, 08:32 PM
That's interesting. Is there a rule precedent for this type of circumstance that I can be linked to in the SRD?

Thanks again, everyone.

Crake
2013-06-10, 01:37 AM
That's interesting. Is there a rule precedent for this type of circumstance that I can be linked to in the SRD?

Thanks again, everyone.

This (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm) section of the SRD, under spell like abilities, specifies that they are cast at a creature's HD by default, unless otherwise specified. Since the bloodbag imp specifies CL6, it stays at that. If it was left unspecified, then it would have scaled with HD as venger said.