PDA

View Full Version : low/no magic world, playing a pimp

Martial_law
2013-06-07, 08:47 PM
low/no magic world, Im told Ill be playing a human pimp because the rest of the team is new and all want to be evil and malign characters

The area is going to be focused on city environments and a focus on skills and abilities.

Im hoping for some advice on a build for a pimp would be other than maxing out leadership skills

Thanks in advance

Arcanist
2013-06-07, 09:09 PM
Play a Sorcerer that focuses on the Bigby spells. Keep yo pimp hand strong... :smallcool:

Martial_law
2013-06-07, 09:16 PM
its a low/no magic world, so only paladins, rangers etc

I forgot to mention that we are starting at lvl 15. Five of those lvls are set aside for a homebrew by the dm, and epic lvls are probable

Psyren
2013-06-07, 09:19 PM
It's hard to get more pimping than Bard.

And I'm not sure we can go very far into the subject of pimpdom beyond that.

limejuicepowder
2013-06-07, 09:28 PM
Menacing Brute is worth a look, if you want to be a psycopimp.

Yeah not really sure what to say besides that. It honestly is more of a role-play thing, IMO.

Xervous
2013-06-07, 09:31 PM
There is the option of factotum, if you don't mind being a smart pimp. Get a high charisma to go with it and pump intimidate, grab a level of marshal and the rest of the intimidation line...

eggynack
2013-06-07, 09:32 PM
It's hard to get more pimping than Bard.

And I'm not sure we can go very far into the subject of pimpdom beyond that.
When I first saw the question, my first thought was the pervirtuoso. It might be a bit too magicy for his campaign though. Thus, perhaps he can just be a bard that takes perform (sexual). That'd be neat. Really, any pimp build begins and ends with bard in some way. There's no getting around that.

Martial_law
2013-06-07, 09:38 PM
so it sounds like bard is the choice, and Ive never played a bard, any hard rules I should follow? PLus what are the any fun aspects of playing a bard

Since Im going to be the pimp Ill have NPC's for my sexing, so Im open to ideas?

Psyren
2013-06-07, 11:45 PM
There are a bunch of bard handbooks out there, but most of them focus on making it more magical, not less.

The sex thing you'll have to work out with your DM, getting too explicit with any "advice" here could easily break forum rules.

Cirrylius
2013-06-07, 11:54 PM
Urban Ranger with Favored Enemy (Bi***es & hoes)?

Oh, and take a look at BoEF, if you haven't already.

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-08, 12:20 AM
The Urban Ranger suggestion isn't a terrible idea. Urban Tracking with Gather Information is just the kind of skill set that would make a pimp effective - in both keeping track of his employees and customers. Of course, these can be picked up by a Rogue or other class as well.

Appraise, Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge Local, Listen, Search, Sense Motive, Speak Language, and Spot will all be useful to some degree in your profession. A Rogue will have the skill points to support this more than another class. Although a Bardic Knack build or a Factotum could go a long way to doing this as well.

Gildedragon
2013-06-08, 12:41 AM
Leadership to get your cohorts.

I shall now hide in shame.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-08, 12:44 AM
so it sounds like bard is the choice, and Ive never played a bard, any hard rules I should follow? PLus what are the any fun aspects of playing a bard

Since Im going to be the pimp Ill have NPC's for my sexing, so Im open to ideas?

Bard playing: Don't be the immature, disruptive jerkwad who gives Bards a bad name. Everyone thinks they're being clever when they claim to be CG (or TN, or CN, etc), start leaning on their Bluff score, stealing things, mocking people, getting other PCs to clean up your mess, and casting spells on PCs with malevolent intent. You aren't being clever. All you're doing is straining disbelief (that anyone would adventure with such a weasel) and making the targets of your stupidity despise you. Yes, you're being That Guy when you do it.

One of my PCs did kill a bard for truly outrageous shenanigans once (the Bard's player is a self-proclaimed troll, and roleplaying her gave him OOC headaches from how much of a b-word she was), she damn near killed my character then started running. Broke the campaign, but it was worth it just to stop that damn bard.

Fyermind
2013-06-08, 01:16 AM
Bards are great as buffers. If you want someone dead, don't do it yourself if you don't have to. Silverbrow humans are great as bards. You won't be doing any great shenanigans with Words of Creation, but you can still drop some serious Dragonfire Inspiration to your allies.

If it's fairly low op and low magic, taking urban tracking may actually be a good idea. Put ranks in Knowledge (Local), Gather Information, Intimidate, Bluff, Diplomacy, and the Perform of your choice. I personally am a fan of poetry, rap, and oration.

Make sure your spells are okay with the DM. They want a low magic world, so keep the cheese down. With 10 levels of bard you will have some fairly powerful spells available to be known, so make sure the ones you pick are okay. If your DM questions you playing such a caster, ask him to help you pick spells that won't split his campaign. In general, buffs like Haste will rarely break campaigns but will make you and your allies much stronger. Go for spells like that or enchantments to fall back on when your skill checks fail.

A true pimp is terrifying. Read up on optimizing intimidate. Do it. At the very least take Imperious Command. The skill trick Never Outnumbered will help with laying down the fear of your name on the street.

Leadership is the clear choice for getting the people who follow you, but having a cohort near party level may be a problem. Talk to your DM and see if that character can be someone in the justice or executive system rather than an adventuring buddy. It will make stories happen easily which DMs love, and will give you a good value for your feat without doubling your spotlight time.

Make use of Contacts as detailed in cityscape and DMGII.

As a note, if you don't want to play a bard or if your DM vetos it for being to much of a caster, consider a fighter with the Zhentarim and Dungeoncrasher alternative Class features. A Golaith Fighter 9 (Half giant works too if you can get knockback with it, as does any template that makes you large) will be quite decent. You can slam people into walls and scare the daylights out of them. Basically exactly what you want out of a pimp. Take Knockback and Knockdown if you can. They will let you get free trips and bullrushes on all your attacks (dealing over 10 damage, does anyone deal less than that anymore?) so you can really show everyone who's boss.

Martial_law
2013-06-08, 03:24 PM
Im going to be human so theres going to be little slamming people into walls outside of RP. Im thinking about the urban ranger and incorporating it into a swift hunter Ill be playing in tandem with the pimp (bro and sister both played by me)