PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Should my Monk multiclass to Rogue?

Calinero
2013-06-07, 09:23 PM
Just hit Monk level six and picked up Improved Trip. So far I've gotten some pretty good usage out of it, and am at the point where my Flurry of Blows is getting 3 to 4 attacks per round, depending on whether or not I use a ki point. Right now, though, I am considering taking a level or three in Rogue.

The reason for this is that I like opening up my flurries with trip, and hope one day to get Greater Trip. I also hope to get Vicious Stomp. This would mean that, in addition to my 3 or 4 flurry attacks (one of which is used for a trip, admittedly) I would be getting two attacks of opportunity. I'm thinking it would be pretty cool to add a d6 or 2 of sneak attack damage onto that combo.

The only real downside I see is that it slows down my progression of getting more attacks in my flurry, and increasing the damage die I get for unarmed attacks. Also, I can't really get Medusa's Wrath until I hit Monk 10, so that's a little unfortunate. Any thoughts?

StreamOfTheSky
2013-06-07, 09:41 PM
I think I missed the part where dipping rogue would actually help you with tripping or acquiring the feats earlier/faster.

I would suggest you get out of monk (maybe go back for levels 7-8 later on for another flurry attack) and go into whatever archetype of Fighter tickles your fancy the most. Lore Warden is quite good at the whole "doing maneuvers" thing.

Axinian
2013-06-07, 09:54 PM
Well there's a rogue talent that gives you a combat feat, but yeah going fighter for 2 levels or something is probably better. Better HD, better BAB, bonus feats earlier.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-06-07, 11:46 PM
In essence no, rogue really isn't going to help you. Sure its some extra dice when you stun a foe but power attack could add extra damage too without requiring you stun them or flank. As a monk your BA is your monk level when you flurry so going rogue is bound to hurt that.

Monk is not really a class that lends its self to well to deviation.

Axinian
2013-06-07, 11:52 PM
Yeah telling him to completely abandon his character is really helpful....

He said nothing of the sort, he was just saying that it's not a good idea in a slightly abrasive manner.

If the OP has some reason that it HAS to be rogue he should say so. As it is, a monk/rogue really isn't gonna be all that different from monk/fighter, but fighter accomplishes what he wants a bit sooner.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-06-07, 11:55 PM
He said nothing of the sort, he was just saying that it's not a good idea in a slightly abrasive manner.

If the OP has some reason that it HAS to be rogue he should say so. As it is, a monk/rogue really isn't gonna be all that different from monk/fighter, but fighter accomplishes what he wants a bit sooner.

I misread his post, I thought he said he should go back 7-8 levels and remove monk all together.