PDA

View Full Version : Limp lash questions

Fooliscious
2013-06-07, 10:29 PM
So this spell has given me some trouble. Couple of questions about it.
1. Once it hits, is the victim entangled/hampered in any way?
2. Can the victim just walk out of range of the spell?
3. Can I cast with one hand while maintaining the whip?
4. Does hp come back when the con damage comes back?
Thanks!

TuggyNE
2013-06-07, 11:23 PM
4. Does hp come back when the con damage comes back?

Yes; HP goes up or down with changing Con modifiers.

eggynack
2013-06-08, 12:17 AM
I can answer the first and second questions. The victim is paralyzed for the duration of the spell, so he is incapable of leaving its range. I also don't think that a third party can pull the victim out of range, assuming it works like a regular whip. The third party would probably be better off just destroying it anyway.

Fooliscious
2013-06-08, 10:38 AM
Yes; HP goes up or down with changing Con modifiers.

So what happens if they go negative hp during the spell? Do they regain consciousness when I let go? If someone were to kill the baddie dead when it was suffering all that hp loss does it stay dead when I let go?

The wording is weird on the spell. They are supposed to be paralyzed once a stat hits 1, not on initial contact. It's like they wrote the short summary of the spell into the description

Another somewhat related question, do Con modifiers start decreasing at 1 per point below 10, as does strength? Example: My Sorc's strength is 8, meaning I have a minus 2 to anything strength related.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-08, 02:51 PM
Another somewhat related question, do Con modifiers start decreasing at 1 per point below 10, as does strength? Example: My Sorc's strength is 8, meaning I have a minus 2 to anything strength related.

Ability modifiers are always equal to ([Ability Score]-10)/2, rounded down. A strength of 8 makes your Strength modifier (that's number you add to Strength checks) equal to negative one. Constitution, and all other ability scores, work the same way, like on this chart.

{table=head]Ability score|Ability Modifier
0-1 | -5

2-3 | -4

4-5 | -3

6-7 | -2

8-9 | -1

10-11 | +0

12-13 | +1

14-15| +2

16-17 | +3

18-19 | +4

20-21| +5
[/table]

There's a more complete chart on this website (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilityScores). That "ability modifiers" table goes much higher than most will need. Also make sure your Socerer is getting his/her bonus spells for having a high Charisma score.

TuggyNE
2013-06-08, 04:34 PM
So what happens if they go negative hp during the spell? Do they regain consciousness when I let go? If someone were to kill the baddie dead when it was suffering all that hp loss does it stay dead when I let go?

They start bleeding to death as usual; if they haven't died by the time you let go, the boost in HP will probably stabilize them. However, once dead, they're dead.

Fooliscious
2013-06-10, 12:01 AM
I recall reading somewhere that below 10 on a stat you gain a - modifier at per one. Weird.

So when they hit -hp they would start to bleed to death, however upon letting go they get the hp back and wake up.

Any thoughts on casting one handed? And for more fun can I cast it again on the same target?

TuggyNE
2013-06-10, 12:20 AM
Any thoughts on casting one handed? And for more fun can I cast it again on the same target?

You only need one hand free for somatic components, although it's possible that preparing material components requires another hand.

Casting it again will probably have little to no effect; the overall penalties imposed by the spell do not stack between instances, and only the highest would apply.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-10, 12:53 AM
Any thoughts on casting one handed?

You only need one free hand to cast a spell.