PDA

View Full Version : Movement speed optimization?

Tuki Tuki
2013-06-07, 10:59 PM
So I am playing an anthropomorphic hedgehog with stats based upon the hedgehog familiar from the dungeon masters guide and with this build i'm trying to go for nothing but movement speed. I don't care about attacks don't care about skills just movement speed. Also I'm trying to keep it natural besides magic items, so here is the build so far-

Anthrpomorphic: Allows hegehog (30 movement)
Quickened: +50% speed all modes, quickening, -2 str +6 dex, weapon finess, combat reflexes, improved initiative
Hedgehog-(Some stats modded from anthro) Hide(+16-8(size)), wis +2, dex +6, listen 4, spot 4, poisen, defensive ball

Traits- quick(-1hp/level, +1ms)

Flaws- you cannot swim because you never learned how and are just bad at it(cannot swim without life jacket)
skin pigmantation- for some reason, your skin and quills shows blue on most of your body. (-5 disguise) (-5 bluff to say you arent you)
High motabolism- you are hungrier than most (eat twice as much for your size)

Classes (not in order by taken)-
Scout (3) fast movement
barbarian (1) fast movement
Jaunter (2) fast movement
Shadow scout (1) Fast movement
fist of the forest (1) fast movement
Forest reeve(1) fast movement

Feats-
Run x5 movement speed
dash +5 movenet when sprinting

Assuming i get everything to work out, and assuming that quickened also times fast movement by 1.5 because its natural land speed, that leaves me at
155 movement and x5 as a full round action.

Any suggestions on what to do for more Movement speed?
And i thought I saw a feat that is x6 your movement when sprinting?

Deaxsa
2013-06-08, 12:02 AM
is taking templates still an option?

the shadow creature template (Lords of Madness 167) increases movement speed:

Speed: As base creature × 1-1/2.

on top of all the static buffs, that'd be quite a large multiplier

edit: nice flaw. it fits the theme, but is pretty ironic that you want to be fast but don't want to have access to other movement modes.

edit2: take a look at the Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) class, it may be something you want to get into. also, if you're homebrewing so much stuff; the flaws, the race, etc, why are you asking for RAW ways to increase MS?

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-08, 12:12 AM
Check the List of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff) and do a CTRL+F search for Fast Movement. You should find lots of goodies.

Arundel
2013-06-08, 12:28 AM
As I recall, the highest speed build I've ever seen could circle the earth 30 some odd times in a round. Let me check my bookmarks.

Edit: Oh here we go. Chuck (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=2548.0)

ddude987
2013-06-08, 01:10 AM
As I recall, the highest speed build I've ever seen could circle the earth 30 some odd times in a round. Let me check my bookmarks.[/URL]

I read this and knew where you were going with that. Ruby Knight Windicator is that broken. However this requires use of a cohort and on top of that it got errated to not work anymore (though perhaps the running part still works)

TuggyNE
2013-06-08, 01:12 AM
Those flaws are from dandwiki, aren't they? :smallsigh:

Also, what's Quickened?

Nettlekid
2013-06-08, 01:27 AM
If you can somehow wrangle it, take 10 levels of the Blade Dancer prestige class from Oriental Adventures. Take a feat like Magical Training to get by the caster level prereq. It triples your base speed over the 10 levels, which means that if you can manage to get whatever is technically your base speed up, you get a full tripling of it. It has listed speeds for original base speeds of 20, 30, and 40, but it wouldn't be hard to extrapolate.

The item Rapid Wrath, a +1 Mighty Cleaving Spear from Ghostwrack, straight up doubles the speed of anyone carrying it. Not even wielding it: CARRYING it. Stick it in a Bag of Holding and you're good to go.

Something I highly suggest is getting things that boost all your speeds, and then get one speed dependent on another. For instance, the graft Feathered Wings gives you a fly speed equal to twice your land speed. Let's say you have that, have Rapid Wrath, and are Hasted. Your base land speed is 30 ft. Because of Haste, your land speed is now 60. Because of Rapid Wrath, your land speed is now 120. Feathered Wings gives you a fly speed equal to 240, now. Because of Haste, that is now 270. Because of Rapid Wrath, that is now 540. You have a fly speed of 540. Good for you.

Also, if you're willing to be VERY cheesy (like, using a step of what makes Pun-Pun cheesy), you could try getting a Sarrukh to give you Kezef's power from Champions of Ruin. Kezef can use Greater Teleport at will, but instead of actually teleporting, he turns ghostly and runs at Teleport speed. That's probably the fastest you could go.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-08, 03:15 AM
Am I the only one that thinks this guy is making sonic the hedgehog? Even the flaws are thematically accurate.

See if you can get your DM to throw in at least one chili-dog vendor somewhere in the campaign. :smallamused:

Nettlekid
2013-06-08, 03:16 AM
Am I the only one that thinks this guy is making sonic the hedgehog? Even the flaws are thematically accurate.

See if you can get your DM to throw in at least one chili-dog vendor somewhere in the campaign. :smallamused:

No, you are not. It is very obvious that this is exactly what the OP is doing. The blue hedgehog moving at high speed was a subtle hint.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-08, 03:19 AM
No, you are not. It is very obvious that this is exactly what the OP is doing. The blue hedgehog moving at high speed was a subtle hint.

Then the suggestion of feathered wings was just an FYI for his next high-speed character?

Nettlekid
2013-06-08, 03:41 AM
Then the suggestion of feathered wings was just an FYI for his next high-speed character?

Hey, he asked for how to get speed, I provided an example of how. The general suggestion was "get movement speeds dependent on one another and then get a universal speed booster," with the wings as an example of how that could be done. Not telling him to use it anymore than I'm saying to give Sonic uncharacteristic Rage abilities. Just saying that's a good way to get speed.

Now, my advice for making Sonic is not to focus a huge amount on the actual move speed, but getting to use the speed in useful ways. Custom-made magic items of Haste, Footsteps of the Divine (used normally, not in the cheesy way), and having Rapid Wrath on your item list can increase your land speed by 160 all on their own. That's plenty. Now you want to use it. For example, there are some Tome of Battle maneuvers that let you double-move and attack (like Bounding Assault, which counts as a charge but has no straight-line limitation, or Tornado Throw that lets you run around and pick up enemies, which I know Sonic's done on occasion.) The class I think is the most characteristic of Sonic is the Dervish, which specializes in becoming a whirling flurry of death and being allowed to move up to twice its speed and taking the attacks of a full attack as it moves. This is a great way to make Sonic's Homing Attacks and Spin Dash, because it's one of few ways you can move to an enemy, attack, and keep moving. That's very characteristic of Sonic, I'd say. The Sudden Leap maneuver will also help to this end, because it's only a Swift action and with your high speed, you'll have a great bonus on Jump checks (+4 for every 10 feet faster than 30 ft you are, if you didn't know.) Similarly, the Swiftblade PrC (though the flavor of being a gishy caster doesn't fit all that well) is all about the spell Haste, giving you extra speed boosts, extra damage, miss chance, the ability to take an extra move or standard action each turn, and the ability to use Haste as Time Stop, which if you then used those time stopped turns to full out Run, would be truly Sonic-level Flash Stepping.

Tuki Tuki
2013-06-08, 01:31 PM
is taking templates still an option?

the shadow creature template (Lords of Madness 167) increases movement speed:

on top of all the static buffs, that'd be quite a large multiplier

edit: nice flaw. it fits the theme, but is pretty ironic that you want to be fast but don't want to have access to other movement modes.

edit2: take a look at the Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) class, it may be something you want to get into. also, if you're homebrewing so much stuff; the flaws, the race, etc, why are you asking for RAW ways to increase MS?

I am trying to increse my speed with magic items and fast movemnt and things because i'd rather have movement that i always am able to use instead of relying on magic and things that i have to add in

Tuki Tuki
2013-06-08, 01:32 PM
Those flaws are from dandwiki, aren't they? :smallsigh:

Also, what's Quickened?

No, I just made them up
Quickened is from book of templates deluxe edition 3.5

Tuki Tuki
2013-06-08, 01:34 PM

I was actually thinking about making a Trait that did something when I ate chilidogs:smalltongue: and yes do far you are

Tuki Tuki
2013-06-08, 01:37 PM
Okay, so what i'm getting is that class wise, i'm sound with classes, (Without spellcasting) I should just spam my character up with magic items?

TuggyNE
2013-06-08, 05:00 PM
No, I just made them up

Ah. They're not very significant, as far as flaws go; each one is worth about a third of a normal flaw. (How often will you need to make Disguise or Bluff checks to pretend to be someone else, and will the amount you eat ever matter after third level?)

Tuki Tuki
2013-06-09, 11:49 AM
Ah. They're not very significant, as far as flaws go; each one is worth about a third of a normal flaw. (How often will you need to make Disguise or Bluff checks to pretend to be someone else, and will the amount you eat ever matter after third level?)

Dm's make situations to screw you over in that situation depending on the flaw. An you've never seen the 90's sonic the hedgehog shows have you? He Disguises himself all the time and lies about everything. Hes a complete ass-hole

Pesimismrocks
2013-06-09, 03:25 PM
2 feats can grant you +60 to speed for short time. Shape soulmeld(dread carapace) and open chakra(feet)