PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Best sources for details on magic traps and such

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-07, 11:56 PM
Actually, traps of any kind. Is there a handbook? I'm particularly interested in magical traps with self-resetting stuff. I just need a source, but if you also want to chuck in your favorite trap scenario...hey, it's good reading.:smallcool:

EDIT: Also...spell clocks? Where are those from, pray tell.

Agincourt
2013-06-08, 12:04 AM
I think Dungeonscape and the DMG are the main culprits.

Jack_Simth
2013-06-08, 12:10 AM
Actually, traps of any kind. Is there a handbook? I'm particularly interested in magical traps with self-resetting stuff. I just need a source, but if you also want to chuck in your favorite trap scenario...hey, it's good reading.:smallcool:
That section of the DMG made The SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/traps.htm). You're looking for the magic device trap rules.

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-08, 11:31 AM
Thanks. The stuff in both of these books looks usable. I'm going to try to create a version of the TARDIS, so our stupid party, fleeing across the Omniverse from Cthulhu/Tharizdun, will have a decent HQ. Really sucks when all the stuff we keep making gets nuked by epic-level badass enemies.:smallfrown: One day we'll have a nice fleet of ships, but right now it's just a big, bad bull's eye.

Arundel
2013-06-08, 11:39 AM
Warning: This way be Dragons!

Frankly, from what it sounds like you need you may want to ask Tippy. I don't really understand half of what Tippy says, but from what I gather he has broken, abused, and reinvented traps more than anyone else I have heard of.

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-08, 12:40 PM
Warning: This way be Dragons!

Frankly, from what it sounds like you need you may want to ask Tippy. I don't really understand half of what Tippy says, but from what I gather he has broken, abused, and reinvented traps more than anyone else I have heard of.

Well, the abuse of self-casting traps, intelligent traps, self-resetting traps, spell clocks, and the like is pretty self-explanatory. But Tippy knows all of the juiciest combos, for sure. I don't really want to spring the Single Malt Tippy on our DM, though, and this campaign doesn't really call for it, as it's relatively role play heavy, plot-based, with less emphasis on mechanics and optimization. The players have lots of space to do their own projects, but the plot is moving ahead at it's own pace, only so much we can do about it (Tharizdun, primordial annihilation force of the Omniverse, who whacked our boss, Ao, when we were 24th level, is rather soul-crushingly powerful, as are many of his minions). So optimization can help us deal with present threats and ensure long-term survival, but we can't really jump ahead in the plot, especially as we can't freely move about the various multiverses without divine assistance from some refugee gods we've been tagging along with.

Never thought I'd be running away as a 27th level character. Yet it happens all of the time! Sephiroth-clones bent on our destruction? Time to run. Gundam-sized Cthulhu/Tharizdun lops off Ao's head? Time to run. PCs just helped the bad guys destroy this multiverse? Aww, hells, time to run.:smalltongue:

Phelix-Mu
2013-06-10, 12:18 PM
Self-bump. I'm wondering if there were any dragon magazines that expanded on magical traps, and also a source for these "spell clocks" that I've heard bandied about.