PDA

View Full Version : Magic items that emmulate class features

swankjon
2013-06-08, 02:54 AM
Obviously there is monks belt, and a host of other magic items that modify class features in some way, but how do you guys handle creating magic items that grant class features when these items don't give much of a clue to a pricing pattern? If you allow it at all?

For example, how would you price an item that grants trapfinding?

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-08, 03:42 AM
I'd advise against it. There are, as you've noted, a few items that do this already but they are -very- few in number and grant only the lowest level class features. Going beyond this puts you into the realm of making low-power classes completely unnecessary since their iconic abilities can simply be bought.

Rather than a magic item that grants trapfinding, how about a magic item that produces the effect of a trap discerning spell?

Gildedragon
2013-06-08, 03:50 AM
There is an item that grants trapfinding: Keeper's Guide in Dragon Compendium, it costs something in excess of 20kgp, and grants a bonus to search.
A bit pricey if the party doesn't have a rogue. If intended for rogue replacement I'd give it to them for 6-8kgp and drop the bonus to search.

Fizban
2013-06-08, 06:57 AM
Find Traps is already a spell, formula wise the price to start working from would be 24,000gp. Honestly, I hardly even consider trapfinding an ability: it's a 1st level on/off button that you can dip from a number of classes with almost anyone who's not dedicated to maximum caster levels. You could make it a feat and almost no one would take it. But that's just the example you gave.

From what I've seen, a feat in item form usually runs around 20-50k, depending on how good it is and how many prerequisites you're ignoring. And most class features you might want in item form could be made into feats. There aren't many items that just straight up grant feats because most writers know you're not supposed to do that, and there are a number of feat items that cost many times what an equivalent bonus item would just because they have "feat" written on them.

As with everything in DnD, just compare to spells. Even if there's not already a spell that duplicates the class ability (there is), you can probably guess what level spell it would require, and then just price it as an item from that and round to a pretty number.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-06-08, 07:08 AM
I am always leery of any sort of "magic automation."

The simple fact is, "Hirelings" have been around since forever in the D&D game. If a group needs a particular special ability, temp it! Don't just rush to the nearest magical item shop and ask around for an uber expensive substitute for a living breathing NPC that the GM can use for plot hooks.

In terms of game balance, any magic item that emulates a class ability... probably requires the crafter to actually HAVE those abilities in the first place, which means someone who multi-classed into a magic class enough to get Craft Wondrous Item and to reach the appropriate caster level. These people are rare... like super rare. This is like a professional football player who had made millions retiring to get a PhD in particle physics.

Tuki Tuki
2013-06-08, 02:03 PM
That sounds cool, but pricing should be more than fair. Like if you were to give someone the factotums class ability of Cunning Brilliance where you can simulate the class features of other classes, i'd be surprised if you'd make that for less than 900k

Flickerdart
2013-06-08, 02:10 PM
In terms of game balance, any magic item that emulates a class ability... probably requires the crafter to actually HAVE those abilities in the first place, which means someone who multi-classed into a magic class enough to get Craft Wondrous Item and to reach the appropriate caster level. These people are rare... like super rare. This is like a professional football player who had made millions retiring to get a PhD in particle physics.
It's possible for multiple people to each contribute something to crafting, so you could just have the crafter bring in a guy with the ability and have him sit in the room until it's done.