PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]DM finally playing!

giovaneduca
2013-06-08, 04:57 AM
Hello,
after many years DMing at last I can play, so I decided to create a Sorcerer/mage of arcane order/Incantatrix
It's a solid build, as far I can see, and I'll start at lvl 10 so it'll be:

Sorc 5/MotAO 4/Incanatrix 1 and than all incantatrix till the end.

First of all Sorc 1st lvl sobstitution level as in Races of the Dragon (lose familiar, gain dragonblood subtype, the acces to some nasty feats and Draconic Heritage). After this I think that I'll go with Cooperative spells (sucks but for the MotAO), Iron Will gained trough the Oytugh Hole (dirty!), Empower spell, Persistent Spell, skill focus (spellcraft).
This leave rooms for more meta or draconic feat like: Twin Spell/Repeated Spell, Accelerated Metamagic (+quiken spell), Draconic Aura (shaken enemy with every spell), some other feat to boost Spellcraft.

As for the wealth chart I'll start with 49K so:
-3K for the Hole
- 6K+ for mitrhil twiligth chain shirt +X
- meatamgic rod(s)
- some 1/day spell item to persist/metamagic

Ok, go for the suggestions!!! ^_^

MrNobody
2013-06-08, 06:33 AM
The problem with this build is that the Requirements to access the "Mage of the arcene order" prestige class explicitly state "Able to prepare and cast 2nd-level arcane spells."
Sorcerer is a spontaneous caster so it's not eligible for that class. Only wizard and other prepare&cast classes are allowed.

giovaneduca
2013-06-08, 06:42 AM
You are, sadly, right.
Didn't notice that line, and just read "cast 2nd lvl spell"...
Ok time to reboot :(

Are there any good PrC to boost spell known?
Otherwise other Prc good for Sorc/incantatrix (other then IotSV)?

Amphetryon
2013-06-08, 06:48 AM
There's a Feat for that: Arcane Preparation.

giovaneduca
2013-06-08, 06:55 AM
There's a Feat for that: Arcane Preparation.

This feat could qualify me for the MotAO?
It states:

Benefit
Each day, you can use one or more of your spell slots to prepare spells you know. (Usually, you do this in order to apply a metamagic feat to the spell.) Thereafter, you can cast that spell as a standard action even if you apply a metamagic feat to the spell as you cast it. Preparing a spell uses a slot of the appropriate level. Once the spell is prepared, you can't use that spell slot for anything else until you cast the prepared spell.

Amphetryon
2013-06-08, 07:12 AM
This feat could qualify me for the MotAO?
It states:

Benefit
Each day, you can use one or more of your spell slots to prepare spells you know. (Usually, you do this in order to apply a metamagic feat to the spell.) Thereafter, you can cast that spell as a standard action even if you apply a metamagic feat to the spell as you cast it. Preparing a spell uses a slot of the appropriate level. Once the spell is prepared, you can't use that spell slot for anything else until you cast the prepared spell.

Thus, it is allowing you to prepare and cast spells. You'll need the other qualifying conditions for MotAO, of course.

giovaneduca
2013-06-08, 07:18 AM
Of course i'll need cooperative spell also.

So..quite feat intensive, surely fun but... it'll work? As far I can tell yes: Buffing and damaging quite well (don't want to cheese or 110% optimizing, just good)

giovaneduca
2013-06-10, 04:55 AM
So, now I've to decide my prohibited school for the Incantatrix pre-req.
What will you suggest?

Waker
2013-06-10, 07:27 AM
So, now I've to decide my prohibited school for the Incantatrix pre-req.
What will you suggest?

The popular choices for that tend to be Enchantment, Evocation and Necromancy. The first because so many creatures are immune, the second because it's schtick is handled by Conjuration and the third because some people don't like debuffs.

Amphetryon
2013-06-10, 07:30 AM
The popular choices for that tend to be Enchantment, Evocation and Necromancy. The first because so many creatures are immune, the second because it's schtick is handled by Conjuration and the third because some people don't like debuffs.

The other reason folks often recommend banning Necromancy is that the school selection is relatively small compared to the others, though splat support helps this out.

Waker
2013-06-10, 07:38 AM
The other reason folks often recommend banning Necromancy is that the school selection is relatively small compared to the others, though splat support helps this out.

Quite so. The Big Three that you almost never want to ban are Conjuration, Transmutation and Divination (although you can't ban the last one). Abjuration is kind of an odd one, I've seen some people say it isn't great, but I rarely find people suggesting to get rid of it.

giovaneduca
2013-06-10, 07:49 AM
I was toward banning Enchantment, because I plan to use the Spellpool to gain the utility spells from Conj and Evocation

Big Fau
2013-06-10, 08:03 AM
Abjuration is kind of an odd one, I've seen some people say it isn't great, but I rarely find people suggesting to get rid of it.

Really? Because 90% of the people I've heard talking about banning schools recommend you ban Abjuration if there is another spellcaster in the party capable of using Abjuration spells.

Chronos
2013-06-10, 08:48 AM
Yeah, there are some abjuration spells that you absolutely must have somewhere in the party, and if you're the only spellcaster, that means you have to keep abjuration. But those must-have abjurations show up on pretty much every class's spell list, so if there's (say) a cleric in the party, he can cover all of the abjuration needs. Just make sure that the rogue has a few scrolls to UMD, in case the cleric is ever the one who gets Feebleminded or petrified or whatever.