PDA

View Full Version : Difference between E6 and a campaign that never reaches 10th level

Yora
2013-06-08, 05:09 AM
I am working on a campaign setting in which, as of now, the maximum level that NPCs reach is 10th and PCs are not expected to get that high.

Apart from the existance of 4th level spells and scrolls, and the magic items that have them as prerequisites, would there be any meaningful difference between 7th and 8th level characters and E6 characters of 6th level with one or two bonus feats?

One thing that I would see is that the legendary NPCs of power have a bit less hit points and lower saving throws. But would that really make a noticable difference?

Seharvepernfan
2013-06-08, 05:37 AM
The difference is available spells, mainly.

ArcturusV
2013-06-08, 05:41 AM
I suppose the biggest difference I can think of, is that if there are 10th level NPCs out there, that means someone out there in the world likely has "Craft: Rod" under the Item Creation feats. Meaning someone out there can go make things like Metamagic Rods. Which could have a larger impact if you have 3rd level spells being Metamagiced up, Nightsticks could be made for Divine Metamagic extension, etc. Course, they could have used some Metamagic Reduction tricks, or taken "Extra Turning" with their E6 bonus feats. So it may not be a concern. But that's the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-06-08, 07:21 AM
Long lived races, like elves, would likely surpass the 10th level cap simply because they have more time on their hands for challenges.... other than that, I applaud your endeavor.

The simple fact is, that every RPG campaign world population is pyramidal in structure. Since experience is cumulative, easily 90% of any game world's population will always be 1st level (most people died within 20 miles of where they were born in the feudal ages until the advent of mass transit). The higher the level of an NPC or PC, the higher up the pyramid they climb and reach rarer and rarer status. D&D is quite explicit in that 12th+ are already considered "legendary" in terms of being heroes (King Arthur, Lancelot, Joan of Arc, Julius Caesar, Alexander) or villains (Morgana, Hannibal, etc.)

Most of this forum is pretty cavalier about starting 10th and 15th and 20th level campaigns, and assuming that magic items are sold at some Big Box Store and you can find a Rod of Maximize Spell on Aisle 5. If the caster level to create a magic item is 12th or above, you can consider it as well, to be in the legendary/rare status as well.

So in your 10th level cap campaign world, it is not "just spells" that will be effected, but the kinds of magic items (because the crafters themselves will be rare).

Terazul
2013-06-08, 10:00 AM
Slightly higher Saves/BAB/etc. Couple more levels in a few prestige classes which in theory, could be big or small depending on the concept being achieved and the classes in there. Some really don't get their "big thing" till a few levels in, and now those will become viable options when in an E6 game a single level of it wasn't really worth it. Normally I'd say a few feats become available due to prerequisites and such, but since they presumably won't get to 9, barring some class shenanigans it won't become a thing.

But yeah, spells are the big one. Suddenly, Polymorph with an 8 HD limit. Did someone say Cryohydra?

Harrow
2013-06-08, 10:35 AM
Slower character advancement. E6 was designed to handle getting several dozen feats after hitting the level cap, and while advancement was designed to slow as you hit the level cap and got further and further into 'Epic' levels, you would still be advancing.

Unless I'm mistaken on your meaning. Are you talking about taking measures to likely prevent the PC's from getting too powerful, or are you just assuming the campaign won't last long enough for it to matter?

What I've answered for was for the former. For the latter, then prestige classes suddenly become a big deal. You could usually only get a single level of a prestige class in E6, so with early entry you could get a lot of unique features out of a prestige class by level 10.

Other than that, spells really should be the big deal. The biggest that I can think of are Reincarnate, Last Breath, Raise Dead, and Revivify.

Crake
2013-06-08, 10:54 AM
Are you talking about taking measures to likely prevent the PC's from getting too powerful, or are you just assuming the campaign won't last long enough for it to matter?

This question is probably the most important one if you want to get a meaningful answer.

Nymrod
2013-06-08, 11:05 AM
A DM who is aware of how easily the game can be broken by RAW can houserule a lot of things. No magic marts, limit selection of arcane spells, every item or spell needs to be approved by the DM and some added restrictions on what you can polymorph into or what summoned creatures are allowed to do and you can balance the game with no level restrictions. And funny enough, the DMG advises you to do that.

Yora
2013-06-08, 11:22 AM
I've been playing this game since 2000 and in all the time I saw a group reach 11th level only once. And we were really racing through that one.

Now that I run games at a considerably slower pace, making it beyond 6th level would already be ambitious (if you start at 1st). So PC power is really one of the most minor concerns. The main issue is how much would change if I make the 7th to 10th level NPCs instead 6th level character with two to eight bonus feats?
Now with about a dozen clerics in the setting who can cast 5th level spells and make scrolls of them, or wizards who can cast overland flight or magic jar, high level spells won't have much of an impact on the world as a whole, as they won't be mass producing items for the open market.

As I see it, there isn't really any need to bother with E6, and there probably wouldn't be much point in doing so. But I'd like to know if people have experienced otherwise or spotted things that I missed.