PDA

View Full Version : Abundant Step(ping) [Feat]

Halcyon_Dax
2006-12-03, 01:13 PM
Ive always loved dimension door, and monks, so abundant step has always been my cup o' tea.

Abundant Step (Su (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#supernaturalAbilities))

At 12th level or higher, a monk can slip magically between spaces, as if using the spell dimension door (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionDoor.htm), once per day. Her caster level for this effect is one-half her monk level (rounded down).

AWSOME! But... Once per day? At 12th level it wouldnt exactly be broken to allow it a few more times, so.

Copious Step
Prereq:Abundant Step class feature
Benefits: You may use Abundant Step a number of times per day equal too 1+ your wisdom modifyier. You may Abundent Step once every 1d4 rounds. Your caster level for Abundant Step is equal too 3/4 of your Monk Level.

Impeccable Step
Prereq: 10BAB, Ability to use Dimension Door (or similar ability) as a spell like ability.
Benefits: You may use your Dimension Door like ability as a move action. In addition, you may take a single standard action after your Dimension Door, as if it was a normal move action.

(A pure monk could get this at level 15, earliest)

Thanks for the ideas!

ken-do-nim
2006-12-03, 02:28 PM
Reminds me of a feat I created:

Neither Here Nor There
Prerequisites: Abundant Step class feature
The character can use his/her abundant step (dimension door) as an immediate
action. Additionally, the character can use abundant step one additional time per day.

In general I'd like to see more monk-specific feats that allow them to enhance their class abilities. PHII has some flaming fist stuff, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

ampcptlogic
2006-12-03, 02:30 PM
I wonder about the impact on tactics and the consequences of stepping into (or out of) another creature's threatened zone this way. The monk could effectively teleport at will around the battlefield. Depending on its application, it would remove all AoOs. Then again, a Monk at that level might have such a high Dodge or Tumble capacity that it would be a moot point.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-12-03, 02:33 PM
The second one is pointless, since the description of dimension door states that you cannot take any actions after using it.

Edit: Okay, only almost pointless. The monk could still attack someone he was already adjacent to and then teleport away, but I have a feeling that's not what you where going for.

The_Snark
2006-12-03, 03:03 PM
There's a tactical feat in Complete Warrior which allows you to dimension door/abundant step up to an enemy and immediately make one attack, which sounds like what you were looking for with the second feat. Always made me want to use it with an Enlightened Fist.

Neither of them looks overpowered, really.

Grey Knight
2006-12-03, 06:31 PM
If you're looking for a name for that last one, how about Impeccable Step?

icke
2006-12-04, 04:03 AM
For Demons, Devils and other monsters with spell-like abilities there is the possibility to take the Quicken Spell-like Ability feat. I see no point why characters with spell-like abilities should not be allowed to use it, on the discretion of the DM.

And I don't see why a quickened Dimension Door/Abundant Step will leave your monk with no other actions as long as he sees where he's going.

If she steps to a place he doesn't see, that's a different matter, there she should be disoriented.

Lord Iames Osari
2006-12-04, 05:29 AM
it is in the rules of the dimension door spell.

icke
2006-12-04, 06:37 AM
I know it's in the rules, but if any character uses a quickened ability, I don't see why she should be denied further actions.

Dimension Door is the only teleport-like spell limited like this, so the limitation appears rather arbitrary.