PDA

View Full Version : Disarming in rage

Bagger
2013-06-08, 09:31 AM
can a barbarian use imp. Disarm and do a disarm atempt when he is in rage?

Xervous
2013-06-08, 09:40 AM
Sure he can, no rules saying he isn't allowed to. The only feat that Rage calls out as unusable is combat expertise.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-06-08, 09:44 AM
Although "Sunder" might be more narratively appropriate for a raging barbarian. Remember, they're supposed to be a mountain of volcanic anger who reacts without thinking.

Disarming is more of a... thinking person's maneuver?

Xervous
2013-06-08, 09:49 AM
Although "Sunder" might be more narratively appropriate for a raging barbarian. Remember, they're supposed to be a mountain of volcanic anger who reacts without thinking.

Disarming is more of a... thinking person's maneuver?

That's just your flavor. I picture this mountain of berserk fury swinging a near comically over sized sword down at an enemy soldier. The soldier tries to block, but his sword/shield is wrenched from his grip by the force of the blow.

CaladanMoonblad
2013-06-08, 11:16 AM
That's just your flavor. I picture this mountain of berserk fury swinging a near comically over sized sword down at an enemy soldier. The soldier tries to block, but his sword/shield is wrenched from his grip by the force of the blow.

Not really "my flavor." Historical examples follow;

Disarming an opponent in fencing was critical in winning a duel (and often resulted in the opponent yielding than continue and face poor odds). This was an honorable move used by superior fencers.

Disarming was also taught to the nobility of many Eastern Asian nations, such as the royal family of the Kingdom of Ryukyu (Okinawa) that practiced "Palace Hand."

A light and heavy shield, as in your example, has "straps" (a larger forearm strap, which can be buckled or lashed tightly, and a hand grip). Some even have their own gauntlet welded to the shield and you slip your arm into it. It is nearly impossible to disarm a shield in real life, and easier to simply sunder it, especially with a big hammer.

Even the rules in the SRD state that Disarm only works on weapons or worn items (to steal something from a belt, or backpack). It says nothing about a shield.

And... here's the text on a locked gauntlet.

Note: A defender wearing spiked gauntlets can’t be disarmed. A defender using a weapon attached to a locked gauntlet gets a +10 bonus to resist being disarmed.

So... no. Not "My flavor" as if this is just opinion. My suggestion is based on historical uses of weaponry and shields. Mechanically, the Rage ability for barbarians do not cite any other feat, but there is this curious line exempting a barbarian from...

or any abilities that require patience or concentration

Which, depending on the GM, may include Disarm. There are caveats/exemptions to the "no Dex, Int, Cha" based skill sets, but Disarm is not on the list, nor is Sunder. But to my mind as a GM, Sunder is more appropriate to a raging barbarian than Disarm, and both are less appropriate to simply killing the opponent outright and ignoring any weapon or shield the barbarian's opponent might be wielding.

Arundel
2013-06-08, 11:27 AM
Not really "my flavor." Historical examples follow;
(...)
So... no. Not "My flavor" as if this is just opinion. My suggestion is based on historical uses of weaponry and shields. Mechanically, the Rage ability for barbarians do not cite any other feat, but there is this curious line exempting a barbarian from...

Now we just need some historical examples of dragons and drunken monks using 500 foot ropes to trip everyone in a few square acres to compare to.

I find the fluff of Conan brute forcing the weapon out of his opponents hand more than appropriate for the situation rendered.

Gildedragon
2013-06-08, 11:39 AM
Note that shields, except for bucklers & tower types are weapons. Can be found under 1 handed martial.

ericgrau
2013-06-08, 12:44 PM
I think they'd still count as "well secured", requiring a pin before a disarm.

Xervous
2013-06-08, 01:24 PM
Cite me the practicality of big twohand swords in history... this will just spiral down into nitpicking of nitpicking with one person's opinion weighted against another and supporting details will be used as munitions.

RAW, it works.

+A shield must count as either a worn item or a held item, otherwise there is no qualification of possession on it and it should be labeled as "Unattended"