PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Gestalt build?

GreenSerpent
2013-06-08, 09:56 AM
Hi all,

This time I'm building a character for a PbP game. Gestalt, 6th level, one side of the gestalt is fixed (so no prestiges on that side). In addition, only two base classes on the other side and a max of 1 unfinished prestige class. Base classes are allowed only from Core and the Complete series, though I'm unsure if Psionics is allowed. Please note that I dislike prepared casters.

I have a feeling aberrations might make an appearance or two, and magic will probably be very unpredictable in the area where we will be going. The landscape itself can apparently also be unpredictable (features can change and so on)

Does anyone have any interesting and/or unusual builds that might be fun to play in such a game? I'm considering trying to build an archer-type myself.

Vaz
2013-06-08, 10:43 AM
Druid with spontaneous divine acf www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/spontaneousDivineCasters.htm on one side? Either that or the Spirit Shaman.

Immabozo
2013-06-08, 10:45 AM
what is a PbP game?

Jack_Simth
2013-06-08, 10:48 AM
what is a PbP game?
Play-By-Post. Basically doing D&D by way of posts on forums like this one.

Edit:
As to the OP:
Base classes from Core & Complete, eh? Well, what do you want to do?
There's standards - Sorcerer-X//Paladin-(X/2)/Monk-(X/2) (Take Ascetic Mage and Ascetic Knight; Sorcerer casting when magic is available, good saves and AC, reasonable attack rolls when it's not; keep ranged weapons, such as bows, handy for non-magic areas). Druid-X(There's some variants that give you spontaneous casting)//Swordsage-X (Wis based casting, Wis to AC in light armor... such as the leather that the Druid side permits... martial manuevers for when spells aren't available, and a flanking partner).

What do you want, and what kind of Lamia (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lamia.htm) numbers are you looking for (Offence: If the Lamias just kind of sit there and soak, how many do you want to be able to kill in ten rounds? Defence: If you just sit there and soak, how many Lamias do you want it to take to kill you in one round on average?)

Immabozo
2013-06-08, 10:56 AM
Play-By-Post. Basically doing D&D by way of posts on forums like this one.

Ah, interesting. I wonder how that would work, or at least how well.

Anyway, I could suggest something if you like melee types, OP, but not so good with casters other than Druids

Jack_Simth
2013-06-08, 11:02 AM
Ah, interesting. I wonder how that would work, or at least how well.There's little need to ask, when you can have a look for yourself. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)

Immabozo
2013-06-08, 11:05 AM
There's little need to ask, when you can have a look for yourself. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)

wow, where can I find a meaning for all the text in every color of the rainbow?

Jack_Simth
2013-06-08, 11:10 AM
wow, where can I find a meaning for all the text in every color of the rainbow?Generally speaking, colored text is used for the character's speech. So something like

As the silver clad knight, Heroneous, wiped the blood from his blade, he said "You know, we really ought to invest in some archers if we're going to run into more of these things."

Immabozo
2013-06-08, 12:44 PM
Generally speaking, colored text is used for the character's speech. So something like

As the silver clad knight, Heroneous, wiped the blood from his blade, he said "You know, we really ought to invest in some archers if we're going to run into more of these things."

And different colors for different talkers? Differentiate at a glance I guess.

I am sorry for momentary thread jacking. OP, I'll take my stab at a build.

Natural Werebear Water Orc (brown bear, DM might let you fluff it polar bear, I like the white better)
Whirling Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian Barbarian 20//3 LA natural werebear/6 RHD natural werebear/Fighter 4/something else

(bear warrior would be nice if you could get you DM to take hybrid form as fine. RAW say you get the bonuses when you rage, as a separate thought, you can change x times per day into a bear, doesn't specify the two are connected)

Note: If Whirling barbie isn't allowed, oh well. it can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/classFeatureVariants.htm)

Assuming a modest 16 str, 14 dex and 14 con at character creation:

Str: 36 (+16 lycanthrope, +4 water orc)
Dex: 16 (+2 lycanthrope)
Con: 24 (+2 water orc, +8 lycanthrope)
(too lazy to figure out mental stats, spend level up stat boonuses as you please)
NA: 7
BAB: 20
DR 10/silver, Improved Grab

Feats:
Bonus: Endurance, Run, Track (werebear)
1 Power Attack
3 Leap Attack
6 Improved Bullrush
9 Shock Trooper
10 (Fighter) Knockback
11 (Fighter) Combat Reflexes
12 Steadfast Determination
13 (Fighter) Cleave
15 Combat Brute

Armor: Breast Plate +1, animated heavy shield +1 (WBL may not allow this), AC at level 6, 28 (animated shield gets it to 31)

Weapon: +1 (impact, if possible) minotaur greathammer 1D12 19=20 x4 (I believe, crit modifier might be x3)

Damage 1D12 +27 (plus rage, plus power attack and leap attack, with rage bonuses, you auto make that check on the nose)

Attack at: level 9 should look like (with pounce and this build, you should always be charging, also shown with rage): +13/+7 (whirling will be +11/+11/+6) 1D12 +30 str, +27 power attack and leap attack, 63 average damage per hit at level 9, then you knockback bullrush them, D20 +46 (+15 str, +4 size (hybrid is large size), +27 power attack).

At level 15 (combat brute is why I pick this level, if you take it earlier, then earlier levels will look similar) again, charging and pouncing every round, full power attack and leap attack, shock trooper taking out of AC instead of to-hit. Round 1 +34/+29/+24/+19 (whirling +32/+32/+27/+22/+17) 1D12 +32 str, +45 power attack and leap attack, average damage per hit round 1, 83. Knockback bullrush, D20 +65 (+16 str, +4 size, +45 power attack).

Round 2 and beyond (as long as you keep charging every round): +34/+29/+24/+19 (whirling +32/+32/+27/+22/+17) - if it's against the same target, +1 to-hit for every square you pushed them back the turn before - 1D12 +32 str, +60 power attack and leap attack, average damage per hit round 2 and beyond, 92 - if it's against the same target, +1 damage for each square you pushed them back the turn before. Knockback bullrush, D20 +80 (+16 str, +4 size, +60 power attack).

EDIT #2: mad props if you can bullrush and shock trooper combo to throw them off a cliff.

Before your DM sees all this, you might want to make sure that the +1 power attack ratio from combat brute and leap attack count toward your knockback bullrushes. I think they seem to, same idea, but it doesn't say that, but seems to leave the door open for it, with allowing the bonus from the 2 handed weapon.

EDIT: long post, re-reading I saw a few old numbers and Full Plate was wrong, fixed numbers, fixed full plate to breast plate

mZwerghamster
2013-06-08, 01:09 PM
My currently favorite build is not very spectacular, but effective and fun^^

Human Monk / Fighter - Reaping Mauler

Pure, uncorrupted Meleefun^^

The monk is awesome as he is empowered by ALL the feats one could wish for and full BaB :D

I personally chose Vow of Poverty (Book of Exalted Deeds) as one of my early feats, since as monk i dont need gear anyhow oO

Drop the Reaping Mauler if youre not into wrestling though

Jack_Simth
2013-06-08, 03:17 PM
And different colors for different talkers? Differentiate at a glance I guess.That'd be it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2013-06-08, 07:17 PM
Desert Half-Orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertHalfOrcs).
Optionally, combine it with Frostblood Half-Orc in Races of the Dragon (tundras are technically deserts).

Bard 20:
Savage Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) variant, optional.
Replace Inspire Courage with Inspire Awe in Dragon Magic.
Replace Fascinate with Healing Hymn in CC.
Replace Bardic Knowledge with Bardic Knack in PH2.
Replace Countersong with Spellbreaker Song in CM.
Replace Suggestion with Haunting Melody in ECS.

Combine with:
Half-Orc Paragon 3/ Paladin 5/ Nightmare Spinner 1/ Dread Witch 1/ Sublime Chord 2/ Nightmare Spinner 4/ Dread Witch 4, not necessarily in that order.
One base class (Paladin), one unfinished prestige class (Sublime Chord).
Take the Half-Orc Paladin 1 and 3 substitution levels in Races of Destiny.
Take the Underdark Knight ACF in Dungeonscape.
Use all of your Paladin spell slots to prepare Rhino's Rush (SC), and carry some 1st level Pearls of Power to recover them between encounters. A Wand Chamber + Wand of Rhino's Rush is highly recommended.

Starting at 6th level, I'd go Bard 6// Half-Orc Paragon 1/ Paladin 5, and be sure to get Devoted Performer (CV). Take the first level in each of Nightmare Spinner and Dread Witch asap, and finish out Half-Orc Paragon before Sublime Chord. Your feats should include Melodic Casting (CM), Dreadful Wrath (PGtF), Nymph's Kiss (BoED), Imperious Command (DotU), Fell Frighten Spell (LM), Obtain Familiar (CA), and Improved Familiar (DMG/CW, Krenshar). Absolutely get Ancestral Relic at 3rd and make it a custom Runestaff (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267805#4). Say you visited the Otyugh Hole in Complete Scoundrel to get Menacing Demeanor without spending a feat on it.

Take two flaws (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) if possible, I'd get Bravado (Dragon 328, can't gain Dodge bonuses to AC, can't use the withdraw action) and City Slicker (Dragon 324, -4 to Handle Animal, Kn: Nature, and Survival checks). Note that flaws must be taken "when creating a character" so RAW starting at 6th level your flaws can show up at any level from 1st-6th, so they don't necessarily have to be used to gain 1st level feats. If you can take two traits (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm) get Abrasive and Unnatural Aura (Dragon 356, -2 to all interactions with animals and vermin, +2 to Intimidate checks and +2 to DCs for spells with the [Fear] descriptor).

For items, plan on getting a +1 Mithral Breastplate with the Fearsome property (DotU, +5,000 gp), a Circlet of Rapid Casting (MIC, 15,000 gp), a Mask of the Matriarch (DotU, 9,000 gp), and a Shadow Cloak (DotU, 5,500 gp). Don't forget those 1st level Pearls of Power for Rhino's Rush, and a decent two-handed weapon with a Wand Chamber from Dungeonscape for a Wand of Rhino's Rush. That Ancestral Relic Runestaff can be enchanted/upgraded as a quarterstaff, but wield it as a two-handed weapon instead of a double weapon. You can put two wand chambers on it and make the offhand side +X Defending and put the full bonus toward your AC. Also plan on getting an Eternal Wand (MIC) of Hound of Doom (CW), mostly because it's just so awesome.

Read the Fear Handbook (http://web.archive.org/web/20120520034053/http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809.0) to better understand what this character does. Remember your familiar can use your own skill ranks, so it can make Intimidate checks to demoralize opponents in combat.

GreenSerpent
2013-06-08, 07:59 PM
Ironically enough, I was reading that handbook earlier! Fear stacking, plus the goodness of Sublime Chord and if all else fails there's bardic buffs to fall back on.

Though my other idea was going to be a fairly standard Inspire Courage Bard. That might work too.