PDA

View Full Version : affection system

johnswiftwood
2013-06-08, 01:26 PM
i made a system for my 9 alignment 4e game,and created a system that involves different traits attracting the attention of npc's in a good way,the only problem is that it's impossible for those npc's to know a characters alignment without magic,i have two temporary fixes,the first more unsuccessful one was to revert back to the point where certain characters were forced to be certain alignments,then where chaotic characters got visually sucky armor which would work the same as normal but had a lower cost,but that was too confusing when my aesthetic upgrade (where you spend more for cooler personalized armor) came into play,can someone help me polish this stuff?

Glimbur
2013-06-08, 02:29 PM
How do you decide if you like someone in real life? Things they say, what they do, how they look, etc. Why can't the NPC's be the same way?

Having run a number of sessions of a game where relationships are important (Wuthering Heights (http://www.unseelie.org/rpg/wh/index.html)) I can say that it is very difficult to keep track of what each NPC thinks of each PC. So I give each of them a score card. Help the lady exit an awkward social situation, get an arbitrary number of points. Step on her foot while dancing, get a negative point or two. And so on. With this fast and loose system, you can just add a few points based on how close the alignments are. The NPC's don't have to consciously know someone's alignment in order to like them because of it.

johnswiftwood
2013-06-08, 02:35 PM
well many times first impressions are based off of vanity,i want that to reflect in my campaign,those with lower charisma will obviously lose the girl/guy,plus i already have characters that are attracted to certain things,like a 7 year old princess (there is a time skip planned in my game) who is attracted to chaotic 'tanks' for instance, tanks being any class that has a base hit point score of 15 or higher,and sorry i have a habit of uselessly jabbering

DMMike
2013-06-08, 08:00 PM
well many times first impressions are based off of vanity,i want that to reflect in my campaign,those with lower charisma will obviously lose the girl/guy,plus i already have characters that are attracted to certain things,like a 7 year old princess (there is a time skip planned in my game) who is attracted to chaotic 'tanks' for instance, tanks being any class that has a base hit point score of 15 or higher,and sorry i have a habit of uselessly jabbering

Here you go:
Matching alignment: +2
Similar alignment: +1
Same race: +2
Similar race: +1
Matching charisma: +1
High charisma: +2

Scores:
7: Uber affection.
6: Lotsa affection.
5: Some affection.
4: No affection.
3: No affection.
2: Some aversion.
1: Lotsa aversion.
0: Uber aversion.

johnswiftwood
2013-06-09, 06:31 AM
Here you go:

Scores:

a few problems, due to the nature of my campaign every race is compatible with eachother except dragonborn because they're lizards,aside from that it seems a little easy to get 7 (6 if you remove the all races are compatible thing)

Kadakism
2013-06-10, 03:24 PM
Perhaps take DMMike's idea and simply increase the range to a system from 1 to 100? Make most NPCs start off with a base of 50, which is more or less indifference. How the PC treats them from there on out influences how the NPC's Affection score for that character moves. For every ten higher or lower than 50, the NPC's attitude is permanently better or worse to that degree.

This could also bring a lot of social ideas into a campaign, such as interracial coupling or homo/hetero/bisexuality. A woman who has a fondness for dwarven men might be subject to the "same race" bonus when your party's Gimli stand-in makes a move on her.

Likewise, it would be relevant to add in negative modifiers for races/sexes/etc. that the NPC finds unattractive. The same dwarf-loving woman might have a distaste for anything with fur on more than just its face (sorry Frodo, that's a -2).

johnswiftwood
2013-06-10, 05:34 PM
Perhaps take DMMike's idea and simply increase the range to a system from 1 to 100? Make most NPCs start off with a base of 50, which is more or less indifference. How the PC treats them from there on out influences how the NPC's Affection score for that character moves. For every ten higher or lower than 50, the NPC's attitude is permanently better or worse to that degree.

This could also bring a lot of social ideas into a campaign, such as interracial coupling or homo/hetero/bisexuality. A woman who has a fondness for dwarven men might be subject to the "same race" bonus when your party's Gimli stand-in makes a move on her.

Likewise, it would be relevant to add in negative modifiers for races/sexes/etc. that the NPC finds unattractive. The same dwarf-loving woman might have a distaste for anything with fur on more than just its face (sorry Frodo, that's a -2).

okay now we're getting somewhere

Zweisteine
2013-06-10, 08:39 PM
those with lower charisma will obviously lose the girl/guy

That's just mean... :smallfrown:
Some people find awkward stuttering in social conversation to be endearing, and some will look past ugliness to see the kind heart within... Charisma doesn't equate to chance of falling in love (though it does up your chances of getting random guys/girls to ask you out :smalltongue:).

Just sayin'...

TuggyNE
2013-06-10, 09:47 PM
Some people find awkward stuttering in social conversation to be endearing, and some will look past ugliness to see the kind heart within... Charisma doesn't equate to chance of falling in love (though it does up your chances of getting random guys/girls to ask you out :smalltongue:).

Whatchu talkin' about Willis, everyone knows you need at least 18 Cha to even have a chance to get married!

Kadakism
2013-06-11, 03:12 AM
I would say that as the NPC gets to know the characters, charisma means less. After a while, you stop looking at the honeyed words and start looking at the personality that they are attached to. even if the bard has a 25 charisma, if he flirts with every piece of ass he sees he won't be endearing himself to the duke's niece.

Truthfully, no numbers are needed. If the DM feels that your character and an NPC are growing closer, then do we really need numbers to quantify that?

But I understand that some folks need an identifiable goal to work towards, and numbers help create that.

Hanuman
2013-06-11, 03:49 AM
This is hilarious.

Alright, alright, so basically what I'm seeing is an optional rule add-on for the Book of Erotic Fantasy supplement, so you might as well put in Appearance attribute in the system as well lol.

Keep in mind, social dynamics are incredibly complicated, you will never ever have a system like this taken seriously... but then again we are talking about DnD players here-- a pretty mixed lot.

That's just mean... :smallfrown:

Just sayin'...
"Some people" sounds like a variable, and you know how we handle variables around here :roach:

johnswiftwood
2013-06-11, 05:48 AM
This is hilarious.

Alright, alright, so basically what I'm seeing is an optional rule add-on for the Book of Erotic Fantasy supplement, so you might as well put in Appearance attribute in the system as well lol.

Keep in mind, social dynamics are incredibly complicated, you will never ever have a system like this taken seriously... but then again we are talking about DnD players here-- a pretty mixed lot.

"Some people" sounds like a variable, and you know how we handle variables around here :roach:

the apearence attribute won't work well,in my campaign appearance is more or less a minor thing to consider when looking for someone,more commonly in my campaign,people would look for alignment,the 6 basic attributes (all amazons want hercules for instance),bravery,class,and on very rare occasions race

Hanuman
2013-06-11, 05:22 PM
the apearence attribute won't work well,in my campaign appearance is more or less a minor thing to consider when looking for someone,more commonly in my campaign,people would look for alignment,the 6 basic attributes (all amazons want hercules for instance),bravery,class,and on very rare occasions race

Alignment is determined by actions, results, and how a character makes decisions and feels about it, it is a field which radiates invisibly like an aura which interacts with different energies such as magic and divine.

What this reads as, is that creatures can naturally see this aura in your campaign. This is similar to all creatures being empaths... which is interesting but has profound ramifications on a world.

Kyuu Himura
2013-06-11, 08:11 PM
Alignment is determined by actions, results, and how a character makes decisions and feels about it, it is a field which radiates invisibly like an aura which interacts with different energies such as magic and divine.

What this reads as, is that creatures can naturally see this aura in your campaign. This is similar to all creatures being empaths... which is interesting but has profound ramifications on a world.

I think OP means that you get the pluses to affection if the target npc sees you act in a way that matches his alignmet, i.e. if a lawful person sees you acting lawful he gets a better image of you.

Hanuman
2013-06-12, 05:17 PM
I think OP means that you get the pluses to affection if the target npc sees you act in a way that matches his alignmet, i.e. if a lawful person sees you acting lawful he gets a better image of you.

If that's true, then it's a circumstance modifier to diplomacy based on perceived action and intent.

Dethklok
2013-06-13, 12:59 AM
Here you go:

Scores:
This looks great to me; are you the same DMMike from EN world?

anddrival
2013-06-14, 11:31 AM
Affection and love are a natural thing. I love my mother and have strong affection and attachment to her.Social people have love and affection with the poor and needy people of the society.

View More (http://concept-designs.com.au/)

Hanuman
2013-06-14, 04:58 PM
Affection and love are a natural thing. I love my mother and have strong affection and attachment to her.Social people have love and affection with the poor and needy people of the society.
And yet socialites don't :smallbiggrin:

<3