PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a Rogue/Swordsage build

SirTrocvis
2013-06-08, 01:36 PM
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here, so I hope you will forgive me if there's something wrong with it or the formatting is awful.

As the title implies I need help with my build. We recently started a level one campaign for which I picked Rogue we then leveled up and are now level two. I have two levels of Rogue and am looking to go into Swordsage. (My ability stats will be at the bottom of this post)

I am a Halfling, the bonus to Dex and Hide made it a very nice pick for a Rogue.

My main question is what level would you recommend I go into Swordsage? From my understand from what I've read in ToB no matter what level you go into it, you still only have access to first level maneuvers, but other people have implied otherwise. Does anyone happen to know which is correct?

Also just any general advice would be greatly appreciated. I only discovered the Swordsage class a couple days ago and could greatly use some advice from more experienced people.

My ability stats are:

Str: 12-2 for being Halfling

Dex: 17+2 for being a Halfling

Con: 15

Int:14

Wis: 17

Cha: 15

Thanks

Norin
2013-06-08, 02:08 PM
Rogue (penetrating strike acf) 3/sa fighter 1/swordsage x/something else x?

That was an alt char draft I set up for my current game. Shadow hand focus, twf, craven, shadow blade, darkstalker, etc.

Have not really fleshed it all out yet, but that is the gist of it.

Are you going for a swordsage dip or more?

SirTrocvis
2013-06-08, 04:07 PM
I plan on going at least two levels to get the Wisdom modifier to AC.

I'm also definitely picking up Shadow Jaunt just for the ability to teleport all the time out of combat.

Your build seems pretty good! Can I ask why you went SA Fighter? Was it just for the extra SA dice?

Norin
2013-06-08, 04:15 PM
I plan on going at least two levels to get the Wisdom modifier to AC.

I'm also definitely picking up Shadow Jaunt just for the ability to teleport all the time out of combat.

Your build seems pretty good! Can I ask why you went SA Fighter? Was it just for the extra SA dice?

to get an even number of levels before swordsage for maximum initiator level, 1 bab, 1 sa dice, good HD. If i was focusing on skills i would probably not take that fighter level, but something else instead.

If anyone has more suggestions on builds like these, feel free to add, im interested in more ideas too.

Humble Master
2013-06-08, 04:21 PM
To determine the max level maneuver that you can get you take you level in a ToB class (in your case Swordsage) and then add half of all your other class levels. You take this total and compare it to the chart in the Maneuvers section.

For instance a 4 Rouge/ 2 Swordsage would be a 4th level initiator and thus could learn up to 2nd level maneuvers.

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-06-08, 04:22 PM
I'd suggest going with Norin's build, but also take the halfing substitution level. This will provide you more sneak attack.
Norin, your build won't get him assassin's stance yet though. I'd suggest going rogue 5 or rogue 3/ SA fighter 2 before swordsage so you get the stance most efficiently.

Get Craven, and Two-Weapon Fighting, and Shadow Blade.

EDIT: Humble Master, isn't it 1/2 of each other levels (eg, Rogue 3 and Fighter 1 means 1/2*3 and 1/2*1, aka 1)?
And taking rogue 5 is better for the Sneak Attack.

Norin
2013-06-08, 04:27 PM
I'd suggest going with Norin's build, but also take the halfing substitution level. This will provide you more sneak attack.
Norin, your build won't get him assassin's stance yet though. I'd suggest going rogue 5 or rogue 3/ SA fighter 2 before swordsage so you get the stance most efficiently.

Get Craven, and Two-Weapon Fighting, and Shadow Blade.

EDIT: Humble Master, isn't it 1/2 of each other levels (eg, Rogue 3 and Fighter 1 means 1/2*3 and 1/2*1, aka 1)?
And taking rogue 5 is better for the Sneak Attack.

sure. Ny build assumed more than a dip in swordsage though. If you are only dipping or splashing, get enough levels before you go SS to allow use of assassins stance. Of course. :smallsmile: