PDA

View Full Version : Some simple little riddles i want to test.

Yeturs
2013-06-08, 02:27 PM
These should be pretty simple. I thought these up mainly as world building, so i hope they are super simple to solve.

Feedback on better ways to word them would be nice, but i want the answers to say the same.

!: "Come to me to bedless lie
Ignore you now your loved ones cry.
Ne fear, no more,
for here you are Nevermore."

Where am I? Graveyard, or grave, or coffin. Anything along those lines will be acceptable.

2: "A gaze of granite, ever unblinking.
With chains of Marble, ne'er unlinking.
I stand testimate to anothers will.
That is, if they can pay the Mason's bill!"

Who am I?Statue, or something sufficiently similar.

3: "I light your path, if I am fed.
But never should you take me into bed.
I beam like lightning of oncoming storm,
but if tamed i shall keep you warm."

What am I? A fire, a torch, or a lantern. Anything involving fire.

Lastly, these answers all form the key to a puzzle later, wherein the party will find themselves in a graveyard. Searching the large yard, they will find a statue with a lantern extended before it. If they light the lantern, they will get bonus stuff from a hidden chest or whatever.

How can i let on that the answers will matter later, without outright saying it? (Rhymes are best, of course)

Flickerdart
2013-06-08, 02:31 PM
A mason doesn't work on statues, so that doesn't really make sense.

big teej
2013-06-08, 03:02 PM
A mason doesn't work on statues, so that doesn't really make sense.

meh, depending on the definition you look at it's vague enough to include statues and whatnot.

source because they beat it into you in college
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/stonemason

"a craftsman who works with stone or brick"

Flickerdart
2013-06-08, 03:03 PM
I would never describe a sculptor as "a craftsman who works with stone or brick", unless I wanted to get stone or brick thrown at my head. Sculptors are artists, not craftsmen, and work with a huge range of materials.

ShriekingDrake
2013-06-08, 03:24 PM
On the third one, I'd recommend "I SHOW the path" rather than LIGHT. I think that the latter gives it away too easily.

Also in the 2nd one, regardless of whether you go with mason or not, I'd recommend saying "another's".

Fun project, this.

Yeturs
2013-06-08, 03:35 PM
I could swap mason to chiseler or something. Or craftsman. What would be a vague enough word, but one that still fits, I could use?

Also, thanks for the feedback. I will swap light over to show. I think that one is by far the easiest as is.

elvengunner69
2013-06-08, 03:38 PM
Artisan is a good word too.

Some good ones though. Riddles are always fun if they are good and gives you a 'AHH I should have got that one!' moment.

Gildedragon
2013-06-08, 03:39 PM
The Wizard's bill: its a stone golem now

The first one: a dread necromancer's living room

FleshrakerAbuse
2013-06-08, 04:26 PM
Guigarci brings up a point: in D&D-verse, you have to take into account the addition of magic. Most otherwise logical puzzles are left befuddling with the introduction of polymorph, illusion spells, and conjuration spells.

BWR
2013-06-08, 04:32 PM
You can never go wrong with the classics.
Some hopefully (http://www.public.asu.edu/~aarios/formsofverse/furtherreading/page3.html)useful (http://www.catb.org/esr/riddle-poems.html)sites (http://www.abdn.ac.uk/english/beowulf/riddle.htm).

ArcturusV
2013-06-08, 04:35 PM
Exactly. Due to it being a DnD verse, for example your "Statue" clue could mean anything from a Gargoyle Monster (First thought actually on my part), to something like Stone Golems or Gorgons. This becomes doubly a problem because there are some monsters that are just a TPK waiting to happen unless you know specifically that you're going to face one. So most adventure modules and DMs will provide "Riddle" clues to let you know what is coming. So a player may be expecting that.

Instead of thinking "Fire", he's thinking something like a Lantern Archon. Instead of "Graveyard" he might be thinking something like a Magic Jar, particularly since in DnD "being dead" isn't exactly the End of anything. Not like Speak with Dead isn't a Low Level Cleric spell.