PDA

View Full Version : Soulbow build advice

Samalpetey
2013-06-08, 03:20 PM
Sup playgrounders, I'm looking for some advice on a character I'm thinking of making. So far, my concept is a ranger/soulknife/soulbow zen archer, possibly with some levels of scout in there for skirmishing. Is there anything that could make this better, in concepts, dips etc. I want to be a credible threat to spellcasters at range, with disrupting and the like. I already have the Arcane Hunter acf, anyone got any other ideas to go onto this?

Flickerdart
2013-06-08, 03:36 PM
A threat to spellcasters? That could be tricky. You'll need a whole bunch of things to truck with even low-op casters.

Range: A spellcaster can easily have incredible senses, movement speeds, and movement modes. If you want to be a threat, you have to be able to shoot far. Far Shot and the Distance enchantment help there.

Defenses: Wind Wall shuts you down. You will need to be at least Huge size to defeat Wind Wall, meaning that Psychic Warrior (for Expansion) is a better choice of class than Ranger. Ballisteer (an online PrC for psionic archers) is a good way of finishing the build, but it's 3.0 material.

Damage: An archer relies on many attacks to be effective, so damage reduction will make you cry. Look into a 1 level dip of Shiba Protectoe for +WIS to attack and damage, and consider the Collision enchantment.

Samalpetey
2013-06-08, 03:45 PM
Damage: An archer relies on many attacks to be effective, so damage reduction will make you cry. Look into a 1 level dip of Shiba Protectoe for +WIS to attack and damage, and consider the Collision enchantment.

Hm, Shiba Protector is nice, but it does have some crappy prerequisites. Any good ways of getting them easily? I can think of the Otyugh hole for Iron Will, but that's about it

EDIT: and I probably won't need to worry about wind wall much, knowing my DM. I might alter my character when he first starts using it, but I want to stay clear of psionics for as long as possible

Flickerdart
2013-06-08, 03:56 PM
Hm, Shiba Protector is nice, but it does have some crappy prerequisites. Any good ways of getting them easily? I can think of the Otyugh hole for Iron Will, but that's about it
You get Awareness for free if you have a familiar, so any way of getting one of those fulfills that prerequisite. A single level dip into Wizard with the Martial Wizard ACF gives you both a familiar and a bonus fighter feat you can use on Combat Expertise, plus you can now use Wizard wands without UMD, which is quite a valuable thing to have.

Samalpetey
2013-06-08, 04:31 PM
You get Awareness for free if you have a familiar, so any way of getting one of those fulfills that prerequisite. A single level dip into Wizard with the Martial Wizard ACF gives you both a familiar and a bonus fighter feat you can use on Combat Expertise, plus you can now use Wizard wands without UMD, which is quite a valuable thing to have.

Well, that was a fair bit simpler than I thought it would be. Thanks for that!