PDA

View Full Version : How would you use a Wish to change the campaign setting?

Black_Zawisza
2013-06-08, 05:38 PM
Kind of an open-ended question, but I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I know that I'd rather not spend my wish just on raw mechanical bonuses, and I'm looking for an interesting alternative.

Bakkan
2013-06-08, 10:21 PM
"I wish for a machine that creates machines that create an unlimited supply of great-tasting, nutritious food."

Then you can sell or give these food machines to every community within teleporting distance. Everyone will love you and prosperity will skyrocket as people don't have to spend 80% of their time gathering and preparing food (actual statistic). Step 1 of becoming the well-loved and benevolent dictator of the world complete.

Krobar
2013-06-09, 12:19 AM
I had a bard that picked up the Epic Reputation feat by wishing for every man, woman and child to know that he was the greatest swordsman of all time.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-09, 12:28 AM
I wouldn't.

Tempting a DM by making a wish off the safe list just goes against my better judgement for the most part.

If you want campaign alteration, go for a miracle.

Therefore, I'd wish for a scroll of miracle scribed by a cleric of a deity who would be sympathetic to my cause. The DC's for activating scrolls of spells beyond your current level is pretty trivial.

Gavinfoxx
2013-06-09, 12:41 AM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1aG4P3dU6WP3pq8mW9l1qztFeNfqQHyI22oJe09i8KWw/edit

I'll just leave that there... you don't do this with one wish, you do it with an infinite wish loop...

Hylas
2013-06-09, 01:03 AM
"I wish for a machine that creates machines that create an unlimited supply of great-tasting, nutritious food."

Then you can sell or give these food machines to every community within teleporting distance. Everyone will love you and prosperity will skyrocket as people don't have to spend 80% of their time gathering and preparing food (actual statistic). Step 1 of becoming the well-loved and benevolent dictator of the world complete.

I would keep the machine to myself and then get myself a parcel of land to control (assuming I have reasonable influence) and hand out a week's supply of food to people every week. Perhaps hire people to do it for me. By keeping the machine to myself it keeps people reliant on me. With their free time they can make better lives for themselves, but I can't be cast aside because then they lose their food. This is how you keep your dictatorship.

Jon Everyman
2013-06-09, 01:33 AM
When I first read the title I thought you wanted to us a Wish to change your campaign setting, like from Forgotten Realms to Eberron.

That'd be a neat Wish.

Bakkan
2013-06-09, 02:16 AM
I would keep the machine to myself and then get myself a parcel of land to control (assuming I have reasonable influence) and hand out a week's supply of food to people every week. Perhaps hire people to do it for me. By keeping the machine to myself it keeps people reliant on me. With their free time they can make better lives for themselves, but I can't be cast aside because then they lose their food. This is how you keep your dictatorship.

IMO there are two problems with this approach. The first is that it oonly allows you to provide food to a very small area, assuming you haven't set up a system of Teleortation Circles (and if you have, things are heading towards Tippy-Verse anyway, so your campaign is already changing). The second is that it would make your actions much more suspicious and you would have to work a lot harder to convince people you have only their best interests at heart.

BobVosh
2013-06-09, 02:21 AM
I had a bard that picked up the Epic Reputation feat by wishing for every man, woman and child to know that he was the greatest swordsman of all time.
AND I now know my next wish. That is amazing.

As for a singular wish to change a setting, resurrect some dead hero or villain. Then arm them. As for interesting wishes, are you going for entertaining, annoying, helpful, or harmful?

TuggyNE
2013-06-09, 02:29 AM
When I first read the title I thought you wanted to us a Wish to change your campaign setting, like from Forgotten Realms to Eberron.

That'd be a neat Wish.

Especially with that particular change. </eberronfan>

TheDarkDM
2013-06-09, 04:54 AM

Five years later, you realize to your horror that everyone eating the food has contracted magic-resistant stomach cancer from it.

The unseen forces of the universe tend to react badly to people screwing with them. :smalltongue:

Hyena
2013-06-09, 06:43 AM
I wish for a lawful evil aligned candle of invocation...

Captain Kablam
2013-06-09, 07:54 AM
I'd wish for my hated enemy and/or rival to be sealed into a Harry Potter style painting where they're slapped in the face with penises for all time.

Martial_law
2013-06-15, 12:43 AM
Use it to cover the nation in a chilling snow, crops fail, people die, waters freeze and allow for new exploration