PDA

View Full Version : Updraft

Zombimode
2013-06-08, 06:09 PM
I'm unclear on the spell Updraft (SpC p.228). It says you gain "altitude" based on clvl and then "gently float back down". What the spell description doesn't disclose is the rate of the downward motion.

If taken literally there is no specified rate and the caster comes down again in the same round he casts the spell.
Which would be quite silly and contradicting to the "gently float back down" statement. Suppose a level 20 cleric. He casts Updraft and catapults himself 200 feet in the air only to slam down "gently" the same 200 feet a second later.

Also, what can you actually do with the spell? Could you attack or something while in the air or do you have to wait until you get back down?

Piggy Knowles
2013-06-08, 06:16 PM
I'm unclear on the spell Updraft (SpC p.228). It says you gain "altitude" based on clvl and then "gently float back down". What the spell description doesn't disclose is the rate of the downward motion.

If taken literally there is no specified rate and the caster comes down again in the same round he casts the spell.
Which would be quite silly and contradicting to the "gently float back down" statement. Suppose a level 20 cleric. He casts Updraft and catapults himself 200 feet in the air only to slam down "gently" the same 200 feet a second later.

Also, what can you actually do with the spell? Could you attack or something while in the air or do you have to wait until you get back down?

As silly as it seems, the whole thing only takes a swift action.

I like Updraft a lot. It's a nice way to trigger movement based effects (skirmish, Expeditious Dodge, etc.), or to reposition yourself as a swift action. Since you can drift 5', it's a nice low level way to get up on roofs, etc. Also, if you grapple enemies and fly up to drop them, there's nothing that says they float down gently...

TuggyNE
2013-06-08, 07:20 PM

Not like this is without precedent; a flying creature can, like any other creature, drop prone as a free action — and land immediately on the ground with no falling damage, no matter what the distance. :smallyuk:

Keld Denar
2013-06-08, 07:33 PM
Updraft build (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29151659/)

Zombimode
2013-06-09, 01:44 AM
Not like this is without precedent; a flying creature can, like any other creature, drop prone as a free action — and land immediately on the ground with no falling damage, no matter what the distance. :smallyuk:

Yeah... that instance of rule-oddity :smallyuk:
I think I houserule-fixed that by seeing the battlefield as a three-dimensional matrix of 5-foot cubes. So sure, you can drop prone in your square meaning your cube, but this way you do not change altitude and depending on your maneuverability you may start to fall for failing to maintain forward motion.

Anyway, thanks for clearing it up, Piggy Knowles :smallsmile:
I'm still considering to houserule it by making you fall as if under a Feather Fall effect. How would you feel about that?