PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Write My Paladin's Code of Conduct

MidgetMarine
2013-06-08, 07:57 PM
I'm playing a Paladin in an upcoming campaign, and the characters are all made, but we don't start for a few weeks.

I'm using that time to actually write up my Paladin's code of conduct. Of course, knowing the problems I'm likely to encounter I figured I should come to you ideas.

Basically, what I need from you guys is things to address in the code of conduct.

The basic idea so far is to separate acts of evil into separate 'levels', so to speak, from Insignificant to Minor to Moderate to Major to Unforgivable.

Any ideas?

Kudaku
2013-06-08, 08:08 PM
First of all it might be an idea to decide what kind of paladin you are?

Do you have a deity? If so, who is he/she? That'll probably affect your code, possibly significantly.
Are you a Greater Good or Immediate Good-kind of paladin?

ArcturusV
2013-06-08, 08:13 PM
Well, a basic one that is easy to follow, very "Paladiny" and likely to score points is the old marine line. First to Fight, Last to Leave. Your Paladin Code requires you to be the first one to enter danger, you will not order other people into wars and fights that you're not already involved in, and will lead from the front. And you won't leave a man behind or abandon the field of battle as long as allies remain to defend.

It's also a pretty common Code bit, and where a lot of jokes about "Don't got to outrun the Dragon, just point the Paladin towards the Dragon" and such come from.

Otherwise, you might want to look at making sure basics are covered. Lying, cheating, stealing, cold blooded murder, etc.

Other bits of Code I've adopted and used over the years includes things like being an Examplar. A Paladin is to maintain a proper bearing of the ideals of humanity (Or I suppose in 3rd edition Dwarfity, Elfity, Half-Elfity, etc), not just in morality. So maintaining proper appearances, etiquette, "knightly" appearances, charity, etc.

Thus even though they are the same bonuses, my Paladin would rather have Chainmail armor than Leather Armor +3, as the Chain provides proper "Knightly" bearing over bandit leathers. I tithe to worthy causes, because it is the duty of all men to give to those who need it and care for those who cannot care for themselves, etc.

I'd focus less on "Thou Shant Nots", and more on "Thou shouldest try..." Thou Shant Nots get you in trouble. DMs if they are sadistic will use them as Fall Bait. If they're not sadistic? It usually doesn't matter too much as you weren't planning on doing a "Thou Shant Not" anyway. So I'd aim to keep my code to "Ideals I'd like to live up to".

BowStreetRunner
2013-06-08, 08:25 PM
The one tenet I've always found crucial in maintaining a code such as that of the paladin is to always remember you are accountable for your own actions and not those of others. I've seen too many paladin-types taken down by some form of coercion, where the BBEG threatens to do such-and-such unless the good guys do some evil act. The correct answer to this form of coercion is to always do what is right and make sure the BBEG knows you will hold him responsible for his actions. Doing something evil in the hopes the BBEG will hold up his end and do something good in response is neither wise nor good.

Logic
2013-06-08, 08:56 PM
You could have degrees of virtues and vices.

For example, striking first in battle could be a lesser sin.
Lying would be a greater sin.
Murder a forbidden sin.

While virtues could be:
Modesty could be a lesser virtue.
Charity could be a greater virtue.
...etc.

Categorizing them helps to establish just what your character considers the most important parts of his Code.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-08, 10:14 PM
Here's some ideas. Not polished, though.

Minor (might not fall if you are otherwise completely pure, although you're very likely to fall anyway. Even if you don't, three minor violations add up to a fall. Atonement usually isn't terribly difficult. Might change the definition here later):

Deception about "small" things, when they matter to other people. (Silence and intentional half-truths count. A Paladin must be forthcoming in the truth)
Accepting dishonorable allies when their aid is not completely essential.
Refusing surrender.
Refusal to aid those in need.
Allowing the wicked and unrepentant to go free.
Dishonoring the spirit of the Paladin's Code ("rules lawyering" through them, twisting their words to allow vile acts. GM's discretion.)

Major (will fall, but can Atone through extreme trial):

Theft.
Corpse-looting for profit or convenience.
Lying and deception, even through silence, word-twisting, or half-truths (GM discretion).
Needless killing (hunting non-sentient creatures for food and eliminating harmful pests is permissible).
Harming the defenseless and innocent.
Allowing torture to occur (i.e. "looking the other way").
Tapping into evil power. This includes things like casting [Evil] spells and using evil artifacts.
Coercion, intimidation.
Bribery.
Dishonoring your patron god. This includes, but is not limited to, insulting, slandering, defiling him or his teachings and holy objects.

Unforgivable (will fall, cannot atone):

Knowingly summoning, aiding, or making deals with a Fiend or other truly irredeemable creature (they are exempt from a Paladin's mercy and are to be destroyed).
Harming or hindering any Angels or other divine agents of goodness.
Rape or sexual violence.
Murder for convenience, profit, amusement, or other vile purpose.
Torture.
Creating or aiding the undead.
Starting a war, genocide, or other mass slaughter.

Conspiracy to commit any of these violations is itself a violation of one step lower (an Unforgivable violation becomes a Major one, and a Major one becomes Minor), but cannot reduce violations below Minor, and includes allowing such acts to occur. Ordering or encouraging (whether implicitly or explicitly) these acts is a violation one step higher (Minor violation becomes Major, Major becomes Unforgivable).

Kudaku
2013-06-09, 09:59 AM
wrote lots of awesome stuff

This is why I asked for your deity and what kind of character you want to play - Chicken's post is excellent for a typical paladin, but you're not necessarily making a typical paladin!

You didn't mention which gaming system you play so I'll use PF as an example: A paladin serving Sarenrae and a paladin serving Torag are both Lawful Good, but they'll have dramatically different codes of conduct.

Sarenrae would consider Redemption a major feature of her code of conduct, and could require you to offer each enemy you fight a chance to redeem himself or at least surrender. On the flip side, Sarenrae is Neutral Good. She probably isn't too fussed if you occasionally fib a little in order to do good.
Edit: Huh. Sarenrae, a NG deity, has Honesty in her portfolio? I would have tied that to Iomedae or Abadar myself. Oh well, ignore that bit :smallsmile:

Torag would probably consider Sarenrae's mercy a weakness and would require you to put all your enemies to death in order to protect the greater good. On the flip side, Torag considers burrowing creatures holy, and absolutely loathes bats. His code could very well have a note that it is a transgression to strike a creature of the earth in anger, or that you should take any chance you can to slay the foul flying foes, the winged rats.

MidgetMarine
2013-06-09, 12:25 PM
I don't serve a deity per se.

My character is the last of his race and is following the code of his ancestors to leave a mark upon history, making the final chapter of his race's tale an honourable and good one.

The code is supposed to be pretty much for the ubiquitous paladin.

As for the character I want to play, he's definitely a high-honor, follow the code to the word sort of character, but he's got this very primal and savage side buried under his honourable behaviour.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-09, 12:30 PM
As for the character I want to play, he's definitely a high-honor, follow the code to the word sort of character, but he's got this very primal and savage side buried under his honourable behaviour.

You mean that he's got a "tribal" sense of honor, or that he's a rampaging tornado of indiscriminate violence?

hamishspence
2013-06-09, 12:41 PM
Quintessential Paladin 2 had some interesting guidelines to writing a Paladin's Code. It also had a more graduated system of Falling- instead of losing all your powers, the severity of the act (with there being various mitigating and aggravating factors) determines exactly how much of your powers you lose.

Sgt. Cookie
2013-06-09, 12:46 PM
I'd avoid having anything that means you must always fight honourably. You should fight with honour, but passing up an advantageous opportunity is stupid and does more to serve Evil than Good.

Slipperychicken
2013-06-09, 01:10 PM
I'd avoid having anything that means you must always fight honourably. You should fight with honour, but passing up an advantageous opportunity is stupid and does more to serve Evil than Good.

Depends on what "fight with honor" means.

I think they should be allowed to fight however they need to as long as they exercise discretion in targeting. Ambushing, feinting, disarming, or tripping an opponent is just part of the art of war and is permissible. However, if he slaughters a hostage to demoralize the enemy, the Paladin should fall for doing so.

I guess it's because I see the Paladin as an unwavering beacon of righteousness who knows there can be no sacrifice of virtue for expedience. Way he sees it, if the gods truly favor him, servants of goodness won't have to commit villainous acts to prevail. Either that, or righteous defeat is better than dastardly victory.

Note to self: I probably should modify the code I wrote so a Paladin could withhold vital strategic information when captured.

Temotei
2013-06-09, 01:15 PM
Zaydos made the runebound knight (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13606660&postcount=9) a while ago for the MUHA contest. It has least through grave violations, which come with some examples of acts that are such violations. You could draw some inspiration from there, at least.

Captain Kablam
2013-06-09, 01:44 PM
I think given the brevity of time you have to work with, the best way to write up a code is to ask yourself a wide variety of morally ambiguous questions.

For instance: you have caught a thief who uses his stolen wares to feed his family. The law demands you turn him in, which will most likely lead to an execution, however he cannot afford to quit his thievery even if you let him go. What do you do?

Another good one is: on the way to a major battle, a soldier under your command is caught trying to desert, depriving his fellow soldiers of precious supplies and potentially putting the entire army at risk. His explanation is that he was terrified of dieing. As his commander, it is your duty to decide his fate. Letting him go invites further desertion and weakens the army, endangering lives. Executing him sends a message to potential deserters and can instill your men with a fear of you (not entirely a bad thing). Having the man publicly beaten works, however he then can live to sow dissent amongst the ranks.

How you have your character answer questions like these, and having the situations change, you can then pick out certain repeating themes and ideals that you can then forge into a code of conduct.

MidgetMarine
2013-06-09, 03:04 PM
You mean that he's got a "tribal" sense of honor, or that he's a rampaging tornado of indiscriminate violence?

He's got a tribal sense of honor.

But also that should he fall, it will likely be because something made him snap.

MidgetMarine
2013-06-10, 11:39 AM
Chicken's post actually does really well in describing the sort of idea I want.

Though I also want to have punishments outlined for those who commit those actions.

Aotrs Commander
2013-06-10, 12:34 PM
I would - and of course, talk to your DM for approval - have a clause that you are not completely and unilaterally prohibited from dealing with Evil creatures. (Because sometimes even Superman has to grudgingly get help from Lex Luthor to take down something worse.) I have a paladin in the game I'm running, and I made sure to explictly tell the player this.

As much as anything, not being able to do so may prevent you (and moreover, the party) from partipating some interesting roleplaying scenarios; which is a Bad Thing in my book.

(Of course, as always, check with your DM. That's probably the single biggest thing to do with your code is make sure you and your DM are on the same page on what is acceptable behavior for your paladin.)

Slipperychicken
2013-06-10, 12:59 PM
Though I also want to have punishments outlined for those who commit those actions.

For atonement quests? You can often find koans or other stories where some monastic order makes offenders' punishments "fit the crime", while also serving to rehabilitate the offender. I mean, dealing with consequences like that is cool in a story, but can be awful for actual play as your character is "lost" for in-game weeks (or more!) at a time. So here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

Murder- Must work as a servant for the victim's next of kin, doing anything they command, for at least a year, until they're satisfied and forgive you. You took away their family, so you must understand their loss by becoming part of it. If the victim's next of kin are unavailable, then the fallen Paladin shall work for a similar family who has lost someone they hold dear.

Theft- Must do demeaning manual labor until you have enough to replace the item(s), preferably in the victim's occupation. You may only buy a replacement with money earned in this hard work. You must realize how hard your victim worked for what he has, and how hard it is to lose it.

Dishonoring the gods- Work in a church for some time (months?), attending lectures, reciting through all the holy texts and teachings, scrubbing floors, perhaps even doing teaching for small children, etc. Must learn along with the smallest children, since the Paladin has clearly forgotten. He must be reminded of the glory of the gods, before he can be forgiven.

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?

Zubrowka74
2013-06-10, 01:10 PM
I recall a pope - what it John XXII ? - that believed he could only eat white-colored food. That would make a wu-jen-styled taboo that's not too much of a pain for other party members and still oddball LG-freak.

MidgetMarine
2013-06-10, 02:43 PM
For atonement quests? You can often find koans or other stories where some monastic order makes offenders' punishments "fit the crime", while also serving to rehabilitate the offender. I mean, dealing with consequences like that is cool in a story, but can be awful for actual play as your character is "lost" for in-game weeks (or more!) at a time. So here are some examples of what I'm talking about:

Murder- Must work as a servant for the victim's next of kin, doing anything they command, for at least a year, until they're satisfied and forgive you. You took away their family, so you must understand their loss by becoming part of it. If the victim's next of kin are unavailable, then the fallen Paladin shall work for a similar family who has lost someone they hold dear.

Theft- Must do demeaning manual labor until you have enough to replace the item(s), preferably in the victim's occupation. You may only buy a replacement with money earned in this hard work. You must realize how hard your victim worked for what he has, and how hard it is to lose it.

Dishonoring the gods- Work in a church for some time (months?), attending lectures, reciting through all the holy texts and teachings, scrubbing floors, perhaps even doing teaching for small children, etc. Must learn along with the smallest children, since the Paladin has clearly forgotten. He must be reminded of the glory of the gods, before he can be forgiven.

Is this the kind of thing you're looking for?

These are all great ideas.
But I was referring to punishments for others who commit acts of evil.
So, in what cases can they be redeemed, in what cases must they be brought before a court, and in what very rare cases must they be killed.

I was thinking Insignificant means they can be easily redeemed.

Minor means use of violence is prohibited. And can be brought before court on the Paladin's judgement.

Moderate means use of nonlethal force is permitted, however, only if they either attack first OR if negotiation and diplomacy do not work. They must be brought before a court for their crimes.

Major means nonlethal force is permitted, not only must they be brought forth to face the punishment for their crimes. If no judicial system is in place, or it fails to convict the transgressor, he is to carry out the transgressor's punishment on his own. Lethal force may be allowed on rare occasions, but unnecessary use results in falling.

Unforgivable means lethal force is permitted. The paladin must, at all costs, bring those who commit an Unforgivable act to face the full repercussions of his actions. This may mean life imprisonment or perhaps removing their source of power.

In the case of a being that has repeatedly committed Unforgivable acts with no remorse or regret, should it be the only option left, he is permitted to use lethal force to cleanse the world of this evil. He must, however, in all cases of using lethal force, he must treat the deceased with the utmost respect after they have passed.