PDA

View Full Version : How I Met Your Mother - Season 8 Finale

Cikomyr
2013-06-08, 08:41 PM
I just watched the episode for the fisrt time... and... :smalleek:

I don't.. I mean... what should I...? :smallfrown:

It's good. It's damn good. I love it, and I want more of it. But.. I don't know if I should feel happy.. or sad.. How I should feel about Ted and his wedding gift, or Marshall's decision... ......

When did that sitcom became so.. complex? And not just "complex and heavy storyline", but actual situation where you just feel torn emotionally in ten different directions at the same time? Where you feel happy but crush about the same damn thing?!

Kato
2013-06-09, 04:43 AM
Homestly? I don't feel quite that strong about it. I don't think I ever felt that strongly about the show. Well, maybe on a few occasions but not now. Yeah, I am curious how a few things will turn out but in the long run... I'm in it for the better half of the jokes. Not for the emotional drama.

Spacewolf
2013-06-10, 04:59 PM
I thought that was the Finale of the entire show as well?

Helanna
2013-06-10, 05:13 PM
I thought that was the Finale of the entire show as well?

Nope. One more season to go.

I'm assuming we'll see the courtship, which pleases me. I always thought it would kind of suck if the show went "And then I met your mother!" and then ended. I mean, we've spent eight seasons waiting for her to show up, I'd like to actually see her as a character, at least for a bit. :smalltongue:

Cikomyr
2013-06-10, 05:21 PM
Nope. One more season to go.

I'm assuming we'll see the courtship, which pleases me. I always thought it would kind of suck if the show went "And then I met your mother!" and then ended. I mean, we've spent eight seasons waiting for her to show up, I'd like to actually see her as a character, at least for a bit. :smalltongue:

Food for thought: Victoria and Steela were both the "backup mothers" in case the show wouldn't had been renewed. And in both case, the story was more about how Ted won them over than just "meeting" them.

Victoria's case was quite obvious.

navar100
2013-06-10, 06:24 PM
I've read the entire last season will be about Barney and Robin's wedding.

Avilan the Grey
2013-06-11, 03:02 AM
Indeed. It will be a "24" kind of thing,

The entire season will be about the 48 hours before and during the wedding, each episode covering about 2-4 hours of "real" time.

As for this season finale... My wife was all teary eyed and emotional and urged me to watch it (I would have, anyway, I love the show) but for me it was... okay, as a season finale. Maybe because both she and others having hyped it so much.

And I freely admit I am a crybaby. I am easily moved to tears by all kind of media, be it books, movies, Tv or games.

navar100
2013-06-13, 08:45 AM
I have a horrible cynical fear that when the show does end we learn the real reason Ted tells his children how he met their mother is because they just got back from her funeral.

Kato
2013-06-13, 09:53 AM
Nah, the mood seems much to cheerful from what we've seen of the future kids... I don't know what the occassion is, though. Maybe he wants to punish them for something.

navar100
2013-06-13, 11:23 AM
Nah, the mood seems much to cheerful from what we've seen of the future kids... I don't know what the occassion is, though. Maybe he wants to punish them for something.

8 years of telling the story could be the punishment. :smallbiggrin:

Burner28
2013-06-13, 03:05 PM

Don't forget the lame jokes they had to suffer through. "Shredded Tweats", indeed!:smalltongue:

Avilan the Grey
2013-06-14, 04:02 AM
I love all seasons, but for me the funniest joke is the one where Future!Ted fools the kids into thinking their mom was a stripper.

Cikomyr
2013-06-14, 04:15 AM
I am not sure if I like the idea of a "continuous 48h" season. I hope there's gonna be a good amount of flashbacks, because there is one unresolved plot thread still hanging that I doubt will be explained at a wedding:

Robin became a bull fighter. that has been said, and Future!Ted said "we'll get to that later". I WANT THAT RESOLVED!! :smallfurious:

Kato
2013-06-14, 08:11 AM
That... was kind of what I was going for...

I am not sure if I like the idea of a "continuous 48h" season. I hope there's gonna be a good amount of flashbacks, because there is one unresolved plot thread still hanging that I doubt will be explained at a wedding:

Robin became a bull fighter. that has been said, and Future!Ted said "we'll get to that later". I WANT THAT RESOLVED!! :smallfurious:

Meh, It's HIMYM. They will find some way to fit it in.. at the wedding, if necessary.

LaZodiac
2013-06-14, 08:38 AM
I've always been a big fan of this show, loved the premise. I'm excited to see how it ends. A small part of me is thinking it might stretch into movie territory, or atleast an hour long tv special detailing their wedding day, or how things were until the kids were born.

Because remember, she isn't technically their mother until they are born.

Cikomyr
2013-06-14, 12:11 PM
I've always been a big fan of this show, loved the premise. I'm excited to see how it ends. A small part of me is thinking it might stretch into movie territory, or atleast an hour long tv special detailing their wedding day, or how things were until the kids were born.

Because remember, she isn't technically their mother until they are born.

They will sleep together on the first night and she becomes pregnant. Thus fulfilling the prophecy that she's a huge slut :smalltongue:

Avilan the Grey
2013-06-15, 01:21 PM
I used to play with the thought (up until season 7) that the mother and Ted actually are divorced, and that he now was married with Robin.

navar100
2013-06-15, 08:16 PM
I used to play with the thought (up until season 7) that the mother and Ted actually are divorced, and that he now was married with Robin.

At the end of the first episode future Ted told the kids that's how he met Aunt Robin.

SaintRidley
2013-06-16, 02:27 AM
I'm most looking forward to the fate of the two remaining slaps. November 19 will be the seventh slap, and you just know that slap number eight will have to be during the wedding. Perhaps, say, right as Barney is going to say "I do-OWWWWWW!"

Cikomyr
2013-06-16, 06:39 AM
I'm most looking forward to the fate of the two remaining slaps. November 19 will be the seventh slap, and you just know that slap number eight will have to be during the wedding. Perhaps, say, right as Barney is going to say "I do-OWWWWWW!"

Actually, if I had a guess, it'll be Barney having a panick attack just before going on the Altar and he gets slapped into his senses.

Avilan the Grey
2013-06-16, 01:50 PM
At the end of the first episode future Ted told the kids that's how he met Aunt Robin.

Yes? That does not invalidate that...

Invader
2013-06-17, 08:35 PM
Does anyone else think it should have ended two seasons ago? I used to really like the shows but it's felt so forced and unnecessarily drawn out for quite a while now.

Hawriel
2013-06-18, 01:21 AM
Does anyone else think it should have ended two seasons ago? I used to really like the shows but it's felt so forced and unnecessarily drawn out for quite a while now.

It should have ended at least one season ago. With the mother character already introduced by at season 3. With at least 3 season of development with Ted and his future wife. Victoria was a perfect character for this. Then her story line got stupid.

Avilan the Grey
2013-06-18, 01:50 AM
It should have ended at least one season ago. With the mother character already introduced by at season 3. With at least 3 season of development with Ted and his future wife. Victoria was a perfect character for this. Then her story line got stupid.

No, three seasons development does not work, since Ted is only telling the story how he met her, not how they lived together.

However my two favorites were Robin* and Victoria.

But yes, it needed to be shorter, because somewhere around season 3 it just became... the story about everyone but Ted. At that point I fully understand why his kids are annoyed. Yes it was fun to watch, but Lily arguing with her mother-in-law? How is that relevant to the story Ted tells his kids?

*I am not shipping them, I know already in episode 1 it was clear it wasn't her but I really like her character, and the chemistry with Ted. She is great with Barney too, that is not my point btw.

Kato
2013-06-18, 03:25 AM
Yeah, I mostly agree... but they need to milk the cash cow. I'm not sure how they planned the story to got at the beginning but now they are just dragging it out to make money. It is still mostly funny but it could have easily ended on a much higher note two or three seasons ago. I really don't care with which mother, though. I did like Victoria but that doesn't mean it had to be her.

Burner28
2013-06-19, 10:08 AM

Personally, I don't but I do believe they shouldn't have continued the whole Robin-Ted dilemma again especially considering how many times it was supposed to be resolved (and that we know that it wasn't going to work out!)! The worst part is that as this issue is still going on just before Ted meets the mother, the inevitable love between the mother and Ted wouldn't really feel that convincing at all.

Olinser
2013-06-20, 08:19 PM
Interesting trivia fact:

The show has already shot footage of the 2 kids for the final episode years ago. They saw far enough ahead to avoid suddenly having different actors, or kids that magically morphed to 10 years older.

Kato
2013-06-21, 04:13 AM
Interesting trivia fact:

The show has already shot footage of the 2 kids for the final episode years ago. They saw far enough ahead to avoid suddenly having different actors, or kids that magically morphed to 10 years older.

Wow, I'm impressed... I guess that means they knew for a while where they were going... Now I think I need to watch all the clips with the kids and try to figure out which they made in advance and which not...

Connington
2013-06-21, 06:21 AM
Good luck with that. They haven't used any new footage of the kids since the second season, just some short cuts from the first episodes trotted out when they need reactions. Which is kind of a shame. And they can't do too much with the kid's reactions in the finale, since they have to be appropriate for both Stella and a bass-playing college student.

Anyways, I really do like the show, but it's dragged on past its prime and needs to be put to rest. Just hope that they do a good job with the mother. The fact that she should be introduced in the beginning of the season is good, but I hope they don't make her a bland wish-fulfillment character.

LaZodiac
2013-06-21, 08:57 AM
Considering how the show has always been about how bland wish fulfillment is bad, and how life isn't always perfect but it is YOURS, I'm pretty sure the Mother will be handled well.

navar100
2013-06-21, 12:53 PM
While love at first sight would be shmaltzy, I do hope they don't use the opposite trope of loathing on first sight and then fall in love.

LaZodiac
2013-06-21, 04:08 PM
While love at first sight would be shmaltzy, I do hope they don't use the opposite trope of loathing on first sight and then fall in love.

After his last experience I'm not surprised if he'd be a little hostile towards non "the group of friends" women.

VanBuren
2013-07-06, 03:31 AM
Indeed. It will be a "24" kind of thing,

The entire season will be about the 48 hours before and during the wedding, each episode covering about 2-4 hours of "real" time.

As for this season finale... My wife was all teary eyed and emotional and urged me to watch it (I would have, anyway, I love the show) but for me it was... okay, as a season finale. Maybe because both she and others having hyped it so much.

And I freely admit I am a crybaby. I am easily moved to tears by all kind of media, be it books, movies, Tv or games.

Was that ever confirmed? Last I heard that was still a rumor.

Avilan the Grey
2013-07-06, 03:35 AM
Was that ever confirmed? Last I heard that was still a rumor.

As confirmed as it can get for being the big twist of the last season. The studio nor actors can confirm it.