PDA

View Full Version : Generic Maneuver Selections for a Swordsage 11

Kazyan
2013-06-08, 09:02 PM
I'm designing an encounter involving a Ghost Gray Elf Sorcerer 4/Swordsage 11. It won't be using those sorcerer levels, because of reasons, but they give it access to Ascetic Mage and +2 IL. What would be some fair maneuvers and stances to give this ghost, that won't be redundant?

Nettlekid
2013-06-08, 10:01 PM
You want ghostly flavor? Let's see...
The breakdown for this is, on your 11th level of Swordsage,
Maneuver Level: Maneuvers Known (factoring in trading up maneuvers)
1/2:7-4
3:2+1
4:2+1
5:2+1
6:2+1
7:1

Now personally, to try and combine ghost flavor with effectiveness, my choices would be:
1:Wolf Fang Strike, Sudden Leap, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Distracting Ember
2:Shadow Jaunt, Cloak of Deception, Emerald Razor
3:Insightful Strike, Shadow Garrote
4:Bounding Assault, Mind Strike, Hand of Death
5:Shadow Stride, Bloodletting Strike, Leaping Flame
6:Moment of Alacrity, Greater Insightful Strike, Shadow Noose
7:Shadow Blink

Stances:
Flame's Blessing, Island of Blades, Pearl of Black Doubt, Hearing the Air

Third level wasn't too impressive, so trade up those and Sapphire Nightmare blade for the higher-level maneuvers. I think all the prereqs work out, but to be honest I didn't put too much effort into checking. Swordsages get so many maneuvers that if you stick to one or two schools (Diamond Mind and Shadow Hand here, with a tiny bit of Desert Wind and Tiger Claw) then the prereqs aren't usually an issue.

Kazyan
2013-06-08, 10:10 PM
And there we go; Shadow Hand works out really well for some other flavor attached to the ghost. Big thanks.

avr
2013-06-08, 10:22 PM
Attacks from Setting Sun, Stone Dragon and Tiger Claw are probably too physical in nature to be used by a ghost IMO. The Diamond Mind attacks need Concentration and so Constitution, I'm not sure how they'd work without that ability. Desert Wind attacks are not level-appropriate abilities by this level.

Shadow Hand looks like it'd be the discipline used most for attacks then. Death in the Dark, Stalker in the Night and Bloodletting Strike to be precise. Your ghost is an ambush predator.

Defences on the other hand could come from many places. Setting Sun provides Counter Charge, Baffling Defence and the stance Shifting Defence. If the ghost has a ghost touch weapon, Scorpion Parry may also apply, I don't think it'd work with just an incorporeal touch by the fluff. Shadow Hand provides teleports, Desert Wind has Zephyr Dance. Even Tiger Claw's Sudden Leap may be handy.

Edit: Swordsaged, as may be appropriate.

rweird
2013-06-09, 09:13 AM
Depending on terrain you fight it in, Shifting Defense might be good, especially if that allows it to 5 ft. step through walls, though that might be too difficult.

avr: Undead use Charisma for Concentration checks so Diamond Mind could be feasible.