PDA

View Full Version : What are some of your more interesting encounter ideas?

Oko and Qailee
2013-06-08, 11:46 PM
So, I started a thing with some friends where we play "interesting" encounters. Basically the idea is to make the fight have some special quality to it. I wanted to share them (in case you ever want to try them) and also ask if you guys had any cool encounter ideas you'd like to share.

Flying Bull Rush Encounter

Description: The idea of this encounter is that there would be a room filled with pillars (spaced 5-15 feet apart) that are 15 feet tall. The party would stand on these pillars because below would be AcidFire that burns them if they fall. The enemies would be dedicated BullRushers.

Details when I ran this encounter:
Enemies: 6 Griffons (CR 4), Weapon Focus (Bite) replaced with Improved Bull Rush. Griffons were given 1 more HD of HP. AcidFire dealt 1d6firedmg and 1d4aciddmg per round.

Party at the time: Four level 9's (I think), A rouge, a Warblade, a barbarian and a sorcerer.

Balance discussion: When the party attempted this, only one player died, at the very last round of the very last gryphon, who only killed him by rolling a crit. The Rouge was really poorly geared/stated. I would make this encounter again for lower level characters, especially if the party has a cleric or something to trivialize the AcidFire Dmg.

Player Opinion and My opinion: Forgot to get feedback on this. But, given that the only death was borderline and due to a lucky roll, I'd say it was pretty effective. Griffons kept players down, but not 100% of the time. One of my favorite ideas TBH.

The Fire Elemental Maze

Description: Party begins in the center of a Maze that spawns Large sized Fire Elementals. They have to figure out the Fire Elementals don't stop spawning and then get to the end of the maze.

Details when I ran this Encounter:
Enemies: Large Sized Fire Elementals (CR 9). The maze was fairly large (I forget exact size, but ~60x60?) with six spawn points pre-set for the Elementals. The Elemental max was capped at 6, whenever 1 or more was dead one Fire Elemental/round would spawn at a maze location.

Party at the time: Was 3 level 10's. One was a Duskblade, another was a Barbarian/Ashworm Dragoon, the other was an indestructible camel.

Balance Discussion: Mixed feelings, no one came really close to dying at all. However, the Duskblade and the Barbarian both hit less than half HP. The camel was literally not capable of being hurt, even when it was 4 fire elementals pounding on him. I would try this encounter at the exact same level if spellcasters were present.

Player opinion and My opinion: Well received. Feedback I heard was positive. There was a bit of tension when I began to fill the maze with lava after one of the players found an exit (TBH the lava never presented any danger)

Star Elves on the Rooftops

Description: Party was in a section of city that had a few fires on the ground/buildings. On the ground level was a Zezir, at rooftop level was two star elf sorcerers. Party began at ground level.

Enemies: One Zezir (CR6) and two Star elf sorcerers (lvl 3). Zezir would spread flammable Goo on the party and Star elves would ignite it.

Party at the Time: All 5th level. Rouge, Sorcerer, Cleric, and a Warlock.

Balance Discussion: I think this was a good idea, just not executed perfectly. The Star elves on the rooftops gave the Rouge a very "rouge" thing to do, but they we're too week to be much of a threat. Additionally the Cleric casting protection trivialized the fight by the end of it. However the Rouge and Sorc did hit less than half HP at one point. One of the Star Elves was so pathetic on rolls, he tripped off a building, taking half his hp in dmg, casted a spell... and only hit the Zezir... and then died to the Sorcerers cat. If I were to rerun the encounter I would add one level to each star elf sorcerer.

Player Opinion and My Opinion: Positive. Rouge felt like he was a Rouge, Sorcerer enjoyed Nuking, Cleric felt useful, Warlock did DMGes. A bit too easy though, but not every fight can be a boss fight. Makes for a good fight that will use up some of the party resources.

Enter the Zelekhut

Description: Party fought a Zelekhut in a large room. On one side of the room was a "sea" of fire and the other a "sea" of fire that did ice damage. In each "sea" was a crystal, these crystals either healed the Zelekhut or enchanted his attacks.

Enemies: One Zelekhut (CR9) and two Crystals (AC10 HP10). Each turn of the Zelekhut the crystals could either heal the Zelekhut 2hp(not sure if exact number) or the Zelekhut could enchant each attack he made that round with either 1d6 Fire or Ice for that attack. '

Party at the Time: I forget, but I think they were all level 7 (or 6, i forget which tbh). Warlock, Warblade, Cleric.

Balance Discussion: The goal of the fight was to make a choice between ignoring the Zelekhut for a few rounds and tanking same damage to hit the crystals, or to be dumb. Fight was very long and drawn out due to the tanky nature of the Zelekhut + Crystals. Even after removing the crystals the fight took a long while simply because of the Zelekhuts healings, meaning that focusing the crystals wasn't meaningful at all. If I could change it I would increase the healing of the crystals so that their total healing is greater than normal Zelekhut healing and then remove the Zelekhuts innate healing.

My and player opinon: Fairly negative. Focusing the crystals was meaningless, the fight wasn't even hard, just very long and drawn out.

Dreamscape Room

Description: Ok this is going to be a lot. The party started on the ledge of a balcony of a room shaped like a bird. Enemies were below, 4 Tieflings and 2 "clerics" who were demons in disguise. The Party got a surprise round before a large Dodecahedron (located below Balcony, HP50 AC20) pulled everyone into a Dreamscape (no save unless Dodecahedron is destroyed). The party Strength Drained a Tiefling, Dropped another Tiefling to Negative, and insta-killed one Demon and took out 2/3 of the other Demons HP.

The Dreamscape Room itself:The Dreamscape room had multiple rules. First off it was a square-room, although instead of walls a fine mist surrounded the room. Party members who were on the bottom floor of the previous room began on the floor of the Dreamscape, those who were higher up (The Balcony) began on the "Ceiling", seemingly unaffected by gravity (so they were standing upside down), the "ceiling" appeared to be "infinitely far away and yet right next to the floor." Finally, everyones vision was tinted blue and giant numbers were floating around (could be red or green).

The Rules of the Dreamscape:
1) There is no max height of the room. A grappling flyer could potentially grab someone who does not fly and go up for eternity before dropping them. The ceiling/floor (whichever you were flying towards) would just keep seeming farther away.

2) In order to swap being on the floor/ceiling a player must succeed on a DC5 Will Save (to will themselves to the other layer) followed by a DC20 Jump check.

3) Biggest change! Any "physical/energy/whatever" attack hits someone other than the intended target based on the numbers shown. Basically two lists are made at the start of combat, one of players and one of enemies, the list can be randomly ordered or by initiative. Only the most powerful enemy is aware of the rules ahead of time.

3a) Green numbers mean you hit allies, red numbers mean to hit enemies.
Basically whoever was hit was determined like so: Who was the intended
target, go to whoever is on the same number spot on the other list if the
numbers are red, then go down the numerical value on that list.

3b) Certain effects do not hit different targets. Ex. In my fight effects that
don't require you to hit a target always effect the intended target. So
Sorrowsorn Demon's (MM3) whispers of loss, Aura of Loss, and the Spell
Weird all hit their intended targets. All other attacks had a description of
"you see your spear disappear into whiteness and reappear behind person X
instead, who gets stabbed." For AOE's like fireball, think about how the
flames travel as they can spread, if you don't want to deal with this
headache just say they don't spread after teleporting.

3c) AC/DR/SR/etc always uses the stats of the person you hit.

3d) You are always treated as flanking when your attacks teleport

3e) Partial Concealment, or any effect that occurs before an enemy hits
you, occurs for Intended targets. (Ex. Lets say I want to hit targetA and
swing at him, my attack teleports and hits targetB instead, who has
concealment, his concealment is ignored because I don't need to see
targetA to hit him.)

3f) If a party member indirectly starts hitting another party member via
multiple attacks, they must succeed on a DC20 - 5 * #of attacks made to
realize they're hitting an ally (and then choose to stop).

These rules are impossible to all figure out!!!
TBH, they're somewhat supposed to be. My party is essentially 4 damage dealers, I can never make an encounter risky to them unless it's just outright unfair, this makes them much less likely to instagib my enemies. This fight also makes certain things more/less valuable.

Details when I ran this Encounter:
Enemies: 4 Lesser Tiefling Rouge/Lashers (~lvl 7). 1 Beblith (CR10), and 1 Sorrowsorn Demon (CR17)

Party at the Time: All lvl 12. Barbarian/AshwurmDragoon, Indestructible Camel, Sorcerer, and a Duskblade

Balancing Discussion: This was a bossfight. By the end of the fight the Ashworm Dragoon had died (failed Will save vs Weird), the Sorcerer was Confused, the Duskblade Dazed, his Imp familiar Died, and the Indestructible Samel actually took damage. I think the difficulty in the exact instance was perfectly fine for a boss fight, the Barbarian really only died because he never got anything to improve his will save. The Beblith was one shot in the surprise round. The Tieflings actually did ok damage (they were under-equipped though, only had a masterwork dagger whip and a belt of battle each). The Sorrowsorn demon managed to last one more round that the rest of his allies. This kind of fight, IMO, changes a lot of whats good. CC spells and Damage become a lot less valuable since the enemies (other than the sorrowsorn, and even he's nothing to write home about) do so little. In contrast Defensive Buffing becomes absurdly important and Healing actually becomes good (since, other than your allies, you will always heal more than the enemies deal). Basically the best approach to this fight is to be more defensive and less mindless. Heal up damage/buff, then do your own damage. This encounter is good vs parties of nothing but damage dealers, simply because they kill each other. This fight would have been impossible for my party (I think) if it wasn't for the fact that I gave them a surprise round (the barbarian dropped the Sorrowsorn to 109ish of his 297HP in the surprise round...).

Recommended changes: None for the mechanics of the fight. I would not ever give the enemy side a buffer/healer because the enemy has the advantage of knowing the rules. I would also swap the Sorrowsorn Demon for something much weaker (~CR12) if I am not providing the party with a surprise round.

Player Opinions: Haven't gotten much feedback. I think it was a good encounter and probably can become trivial with a good cleric. The barbarian player mentioned it was too hard and the Camel player thought it was awesome.

So, what do you guys think. Got any cool ideas? The goal is to make encounters have a unique challenge to them other than "hit them with our best spell/dmg". For example, the Zezir fight made the rouge want to go hit the star elves for massive dmg. The maze made my players think about splitting up vs staying together.

Azoth
2013-06-09, 02:04 AM
Unfortunately, as a DM, I am a bit mean to my players. So alot of Interesting fights are rather difficult for them until after when they realize the trick.

A personal favorite that brought a smile to my face, and many curses from my players was particularly such.

Devil Army of One

A few pertinant house rules are to be known.

The first is that is an object is loosed as a ranged attack it will fly in a continued path until it exceeds maximum range or strikes an object.

Second is that you attack roll for such remains the same, less range penalties, throughout its flight.

The set up: You select a fiend/devil that has the ability to see through all forms of darkness, including magical darkness. Have the entire room under the effects of a heightened greater darkness. Then place him in a room whose walls are lined with teleportation circles leading to the other side of the room. Modify them so that any momentum an object carries as it passes through one is carried over to its exit destination.

The execution: Have your fiend manifest ghost sound to seem like there are many within the room, after openly mocking the party. As the party fight blindly to kill the "enemy" they are really attacking eachother in the dark. For added benefit, give the fiend spring attack so that he can run through the room making straffing attacks at the party. This will encourage them to run around attacking one another. Or allow him to fire shots with a bow at the various circles aiming to hit the party from unexpected angles making them think they are surrounded by archers.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-09, 06:42 AM
I haven't run either of these, actually. They're for my Expedition to Castle Ravenloft PbP campaign, and will come soon, assuming my players do as I expect them to. Both of these are for a party of a goliath paladin, an aasimar shadowcaster, a catfolk knight/swordsage, a human tier-3 homebrew psionic class focusing on manipulating time and space, a drow Swift Hunter, and a dark human evolutionist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13115715) (a freaky homebrew class that can do almost anything, but she's spec'd for archery and healing).

(Obviously no peaking, guys.)

A Haunting Melody
Enemies:
2-4 Babau demons
1 haunting presence spectral lyrist

The setup:
The party needs to get up a hill and stop a coven of witches from summoning Chernobog to Barovia. They're opposed in this by some of the witches' hired help.

How it'll go:
The babau demons will try to ambush the party while the spectral lyrist fascinates them and tries to get them to do suicidal things. She'll also animate the trees on the hill. Since she's a haunting presence, the paladin will have to spend time completely unable to defend himself to make her manifest.

Biting them in the Ass
Background:
At one point early on the paladin had a boss that they wanted alive (a corrupt and Corrupt tainted priest) in a grapple, but wasn't having much luck knocking him out and was taking serious damage from the priest's blade of pain and fear. The shadowcaster cast a mystery that did 2 Constitution damage, which he hoped would bring the priest to the point where the non-lethal damage knocked him out. At that point they still weren't aware of how taint works and definitely didn't know that the priest was at maximum Corruption levels, and the Con damage killed him. Unfortunately (for them; not for me :smallamused:), they thought that one of the villagers burned the body while the villagers thought they'd burned the body. It raised as a tainted minion (HoH). Later on, the shugenja's player disappeared, so I drove her insane with Depravity taint and Wisdom damage, and she ran away.

Enemies:
1 tainted minion cleric/prestige paladin of tyranny
1 tainted raver shugenja/mahou tsukai
1 zombie murder of crows
4 zombie children (mechanically halflings)

The setup:
At some point the party will learn that children are disappearing from the village of Barovia. The most recent was seen by another child going toward the church with the dead priest. When they investigate, they'll find the priest alongside their former ally, who has the child naked and spreadeagled on a hideous altar that's already been stained with blood. Also four children that have already been zombified.

How it'll go:
The cleric will charge at them with a blade of pain and fear and an array of natural attacks (claws from template, bite from deformity feat, sting from tongue worm symbiont), through which he'll channel swift action inflict spells. The murder of crows will peck their eyes out. The zombie children will swarm them (not really doing much other than horrifying them) and blow up when killed. And the shugenja will stay in the back casting spells enhanced with the child's blood. They'll have to take her out before she manages to drain the kid dry, which will be complicated by her throwing around Invisible Spelled walls of bones.

Oko and Qailee
2013-06-09, 12:28 PM
I like the devil army of one and the haunting one. May I steal them and mae edits later? ;)

The Devil Army of one I'd think of some change since nearly all the party is melee/aoe casters in general for my group.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-09, 12:35 PM
Of course! Spectral lyrist and haunting presence are both in Libris Mortis; the former with monsters and the latter at the beginning. Just be sure one of the party members has a high enough Knowledge (religion) check to reliably hit DC 20. I'm having to reduce the DC to accommodate for the fact that only the paladin has it trained and he only has a +6 modifier.

Azoth
2013-06-09, 12:41 PM
Of course, feel free to steal it.

The teleportation circles are great for messing with mele. They run off after a sound/would be attacker, get teleported across the room, and run up on the party thinking it is the enemy and attack.

I may share some more of my particularly fun ones tomorrow when I am off work and can gather my thoughts. I tend to run enemies in a Tucker's Kobolds sort of way, so my players have dealt with many an unfair game of strategy. To me it is great fun watching them squirm against terrain and tactic making an otherwise pushover encounter into a deadly game.

yougi
2013-06-09, 03:01 PM
The Fire Wall (7-8th level party)
The PCs enter a room divided in half by a few lines of small holes in the ground that goes straight to the door, with a very high ceiling (100') and two lit brazeros on the far wall.

When the PCs walk in, fire blows out of the holes, creating a type of holes: 4d6 damage, Ref18 for half. I also ask players to write on a piece of paper if they dodge left or right.

The encounter is then divided in two parts by the wall of fire. The Brazeros each summon a large fire elemental on the first round, once again on the second round, and then a small one each round until they are destroyed (IIRC, they had AC12 (touch 5) and 30hp, and obviously immune to fire). Also, a Half-Red Dragon sorcerer (lv6) was flying over them, breathing and fireballing those under him.

Any Encounter trap from Dungeonscape

The Lightning Coach (adapted from a published module, Whispers of the Vampire's Blade)
The PCs are looking for a Vampire who they saw get on a Lightning Coach (train from Eberron). They get on the coach, except for the Paladin who gets there late and follows them on his horse, and go through it to find him in a private room. During that time, the Coach is attacked by former enemies of the PCs who are here to get the Vampire too: 2 Griffins, each with an Archer and two Barbarians on it (Orcs IIRC, but maybe Hobgoblins) led by the PCs' nemesis, a flying, multi-armed giant with a cold weapon.

First, the Paladin is attacked by the Archers, who blow right past him, and is tackled off his steed by the giant. Then, they start attacking the coach, leading to a panic. The PCs start fighting the Barbarians, while the Archers shoot in through the windows. Some PCs get on the coach's roof to fight the Archers, and are attacked by the Griffins. One of the PCs, the Bard, dimension doors to the Paladin to help him. A Cohort sorceress is thrown off the coach by a Griffin, then receives three confirmed criticals on a claw-claw-bite full attack which bring her to about -54hp. The Fighter and Rogue deal with the Barbarians, and the Rogue shoots at the Griffins who try to claw at him through windows while the Fighter tries to figure out why the coach won't stop, finds the driver dead in his seat, another Orc (a Rogue/Assassin) in there, attacking the Fighter who realizes the coach is going off a cliff in a few rounds, with them and numerous innocents with them. At this moment, they see the vampire escape in gaseous form. The Orcs and Giant give chase, while the Fighter and Rogue stop the coach, the Bard goes back to the coach and the Paladin follows his nemesis.

It was quite awesome.

Silverbit
2013-06-09, 05:04 PM
I've never run this encounter, but I've got a feeling it'd make an interesting dungeon room.

The Garden of Elements:
The party stumbles into a room. In this room is a rockery, a fountain, an open fire and a stiff breeze. Of course, the fountain is in fact a water elemental and the open fire is a fire elemental. However, the earth elemental is buried beneath the room, not within the rockery, and there is no air elemental. Watch your players try to find it :smallbiggrin:.

Dramatic Addict
2013-06-09, 09:40 PM
I played with my group ( a group of friends not randoms), and played it extremely serious one night. Not many jokes like we usually do. They all thought I was pissed off. That is until they met their Sub-Boss; A Huge Sized Pink Dildo Animated Object. I gave a lot of suspense beforehand.
Once they finally busted down the door (the barbarians doing), they were greeted by this 20ft. long ****. Even better, I had a picture to go along with it just to bump up the laughs more. XD EVEN better, the rogue and druid decided it would be a good idea to attempt to climb it with dual daggers. EVEN BETTER? They succeeded all 3 rounds of climbing. XD Once at the top, they beat the **** out of it, and it came crashing down right on top of the barbarian, which caused a whole 20 minute spectacle on how to get this thing off of him. XD After the battle and recovery of the Barbarian, they loot they got (along with the usual gold and exp) was a unique helmet...that looked exactly like a pink ****-head. XD It gave +1 to AC but -2 to CHA.... the barbarian immediately put it on. XD -sigh- Good times.

Oko and Qailee
2013-06-09, 09:53 PM
One of my players read this thread and veto-ed me stealing the Devil Army of One (politely of course). I have a more interesting one though.

TheMogget
2013-06-09, 11:43 PM
I had a somewhat interesting idea for a three-stage boss fight against a giant, winged creature.

Stage 1: The fight is sort of as normal, but they have to, for some reason, get on its back. The creature then takes off into the air.

Stage 2: Some other semi-powerful enemies fight the party on the back of this creature. They take them out, and the enemies, being evil, set fire to the wings of the creature, causing it to fall.

Stage 3: The creature, thinking that the party did it, fights the party as they are plummeting to the ground.

I haven't thought out exactly how it would go yet, but that's a rough idea of it.

Azoth
2013-06-10, 12:22 AM
One of my players read this thread and veto-ed me stealing the Devil Army of One (politely of course). I have a more interesting one though.

Wow...and Devil Army of One was one of my tamer encounters for my group. Guess that goes to prove that I am more evil than anything. Though my group likes my games enough that combats like that aren't so bad. Every once in a while they get a simple smash the brute, but they are so paranoid that when it happens they go at it more cautiously than anything else.

Vknight
2013-06-10, 01:26 AM
The Headhunter.
-The party gets to spend the night in a lords home they trust.
-Part way into the night the home starts too fill with smoke. And silently a party member is attacked in there sleep.
-The Headhunter uses smoke, shadow, and any other ways of hiding to stay out of the parties senses. He should use a Large Sized Greatsword and, using a massive move speed to run around the house to avoid the PC's, retreat, or prepares a counter attack.
-Make a big house map and have fun playing fog of war with the nobles family, guards, some minor thugs, and the Headhunter.
-Works best if the hunter is not hired by the noble whose house the PC's currently reside in
-Boost his speed. I believe I had him going at 75ft a round or better
-The Headhunter should constantly be moving. The ability to blink would help him to make it even harder to know if he could step through that wall or is still there

Me rambling a bit about the build and things
Somewhere I have a Scout/Rogue/Fighter/Avenging Executioner
His combat strategy?
Drops Eversmoking Bottles in the building the PC's are in. 100ft cubes of smoke.
The Headhunter is quiet and then shoots through a room or down a hallway, striking a PC in the smoke, triggering all of his bonus damage. Hit and runs.

So simple hard too see foe with various gimmicks to stay hidden.
Moves fast so he can quickly get away or out of sight.
As the Headhunter bounces around hitting them its proven a fun encounter in concept but never actually run it.
Now I just need is someway of giving him pounce so he can full attack. And or Assassins Stance for 2d6 more sneak attack.

Psyren
2013-06-10, 02:26 AM
Wow...and Devil Army of One was one of my tamer encounters for my group. Guess that goes to prove that I am more evil than anything. Though my group likes my games enough that combats like that aren't so bad. Every once in a while they get a simple smash the brute, but they are so paranoid that when it happens they go at it more cautiously than anything else.

I don't get it though - don't they get suspicious every time they roll for damage and someone else at the table is losing that much health?

Azoth
2013-06-10, 02:49 AM
That is meta game knowledge. If you can't see the one you are attacking or being attacked by the most you can assume in character is that the yelp of pain is familiar. Most people also aren't going to call out "I am hit! Felt like a ggreat sword cut me from my right shoulder to left hip!"

If you are worried about this even further, keep track of the damage behind your screen. Wait until the enemy initiative, roll out your attacks and damage then give the narrative of that round of combat. At that point you describe the wounds they receive and damage they take in the darkness all at once.

It isn't fool proof, and the party is supposed to figure out the trick eventually. The part that makes it tricky and interesting is how they in character come to realize that they are attacking one another and doing the fiend's work for him. Once they know this secret, they are still fighting blind in a room of indeterminate size against a foe that can see them. They also have to learn that any attack launched at range stands a chance to hit them.

In the end the party has to stop killing each other, come up with a way to locate the fiend, and even after all of that...kill it.

This encounter forces alot of thinking, suspense, and even fear into a group that isn't used to it. Also, a fair number of tactics are out right bad or not possible. Torches, liquid sunlight, daylight won't reveal the fiend due to using a Heightened Greater Darkness. Darkvision doesn't work in magical darkness. Spot/listen checks can easily be fooled by ghost sound and a few other low level spells put on the fiend's SLA list as substituions for existing SLAs. Pinning him down doesn't work easily with Spring Attack or Shot on the Run as he can continuously move around even while attacking you. Clever use of the teleportation circles can even let him maneuver around you flawlessly.

In the end the Fiend you use doesn't have to be a major threat, but one suited to this job and in this environment. His main weapon is the confusion he sowes and his mobility.

Doorhandle
2013-06-10, 04:16 AM
I have 3 encounter ideas I will share, although their advantage is more in surprise and being a setpiece rather than clever mechanics, except for number 2.

1. "Humble" merchants.
A merchant caravan reveals itself a deadly threat as everything within a 10-meter radius of it starts trying to kill you. Werebeasts pulling the car shift into battle mode along with a druid, siege weapons unfold form within the cart as one of them reveals itself to be a golem. Any merchants that are not actually some sort of monster in disguise or retired adventurers ether have a vast store of magical items and aren't afraid to use them, or are the wizards that actually made them and are pissed someone trying to steal their stock. so on and so forth.

Whether theses are honest, if overpowered merchants or whether they're bandits that do a little black market on the side is up to you.

2. Destructive fury.
A medium sized room, mostly filled by a lone, huge-sized frenzied berserker and his threatening area. He will always power attack and full attack to the maximum, but he won't be optimised with shock-trooper or whatever you need to use A.C for power attack instead of to-hit: thus ensuring his blows are monstrously strong, but inaccurate.

In the room under the one with the berserker is a lava flow/gigantic drop/gigantic eldritch frickanable, and their is a comparatively weak layer of marble between the group and said undesirable location. now whether the berserker hits or misses, it will damage that square of floor as well.

The trick to the fight (which may require some fiat/magic items to ensure it plays out that way) it to avoid the yawning pits the giant berserker opens while trying to make the largest of said pits so it can be effectively destroyed. ranged attackers and mages will have to be carful to stay out of holes and out of reach.

3. Hell's harem.

A small harem room/den of ill repute filled with as many variants of "seductive shapshifting monster" as will fit. Season gender to taste of players. Bonus points if it's within the BBEG's castle, and he/she is still stronger than his/her entire harem.

Averis Vol
2013-06-10, 04:34 AM
One I have yet to use but am incredibly proud of is at the entrance of a warring gnomish nation. These people are mountain dwellers who live as normally peaceful miners who are currently under siege by something they unearthed. Well, a few gnomes who were outcast by society but so fiercely loyal to their home that they continued to guard the entry ways.

Defenders of Vedisparde (CR 9):

The PC's enter a cave system with a small note carved into the stone wall that says, "Those unloyal flee with thy lives" in Gnomish. If they flee, mission over. If they don't, they make their way into the snaking cave system where three die hard gnomish warrior lie in wait for their enemies (one a normal Warblade 9, one a whisper gnome rogue 1/swordsage 8, and the last a chaos gnome sorcerer 8/shadow craft magi 1.)

Room 1: death from above

This unassuming hallway is considerably taller and wider than the rest of the cave system as of yet, being about 15 feet wide and 15 feet tall. Absorbed into the stone of the roof via custom ring of meld into stone, the warblade with battle jump waits just above the surface staring out into the hallway once the alarm spell in the front of the area had been set off. Bram (the warblade) is about halfway through the tunnel, while Vada (the Swordsage) is 1/3 the way in ready jaunt in (or whatever the move action travel maneuver is called) while Angya (the Sorc) is at the end ready to activate her staff (glitterdust). Once they go below Bram he ends the effect on his ring and charges one of them, preferably the one wearing robes or with an obvious holy symbol, while the other two use their held actions.

From there combat begins, and if any of them lose more than 25% they will flee down an illusionary corridor just big enough for a gnome to move freely before going to the next room in the cave.

Room 2: Pitfall

as they continue on, assuming they don't interact with every wall, they are systematically led to a room covered in Angya's illusionary floors. all about this squat square room are 40 foot drops with poison covered spikes (doesn't matter which, use what works best vs your group.) At the end of the room stands Bram (should he still survive) and he bellows in gnomish "Leave now or face the full unrelenting force of Gnomish fury" as he points forward with his greataxe. He doesn't stay around to speak, but instead leaves to go through a small tunnel around the corner, and hides in wait behind a thin veil of earthsilk cloth meant to blend in with the surroundings.

All three of the Gnomes watch from various place (Vada being hidden within the shadows at +27 hide and Angya invisible) as the party moves about the room. if the party falls Vada cuts strings that are tied to jars of grease left over from their breakfast along with ever burning torches that activate and light up the grease in the hole, doing minimal damage. (no more than 1d6 I'd think, this is just to show the dire straits these three gnomes are in with no external supplies)

Room 3: the living quarters: final confrontation

After escaping the pit room the caves split, swirl and wind throughout the mountain, all eventually coming to rest at the defenders final outpost; their living area. This cave has been hollowed with several shelves made into makeshift cubbies that the gnomes assumedly live in. theres 9 in all with tunnels leading to each, and theres a defender hiding in different holes, waiting in ambush, with bram again melded into the ceiling. from here the fight is pretty straightforward. Vada gets hit with blink from Angya who is hiding around various cubby's drops the occasional spell, mostly BfC but a few shadow evocations, while the rogue dances around dropping full attacks and maneuvers, with Bram playing caster hunter. All in all it should challenge the party without completely destroying them. (at least this is the case for my group. if you would like to use this adjust classes to taste for your group.)

Oko and Qailee
2013-06-10, 05:05 PM

I mean, it probably has to do with the fact that they're kinda in the middle of a "we hit our own teammates" encounter. TBH I think it's going very well, but one player did complain. I have a neat idea, but I'm afraid I can't share it here yet.

Psyren
2013-06-10, 07:56 PM
That is meta game knowledge.

Not necessarily. Say I'm firing Holy or Silver arrows - the sort of ammo you'd expect to be using against a devil. It's a pretty safe bet a devil wouldn't be using this kind of ammo itself - fiends "hate and fear" any material that can overcome their DR. So if I started taking holy damage I'd be a bit suspicious.

There's also the matter of less common forms of ammunition - say we have a ninja in the party and I start getting hit with shuriken and kunai, or we have a gunslinger and I'm getting shot.

killem2
2013-06-10, 10:28 PM
I had a sea encounter that was based around the players helping this captain, get his chip across the sea.

The came across what looked like a destroyed ship, their were pieces of debris, and these sea wolves were transformed and screaming for help, when they stopped to help, a couple dozen climbed aboard and transformed and tried to drag them into the sea.

LordHenry
2013-06-12, 04:34 AM
I once had my plaers encounter "weak" ghuls. However, it was indoors and very dark. Turned out, that they were invincible in darkness. In light, you could damage them and also kill them. However, once every 1d4+1 rounds, a ghul could extinguish a light source. Also, I gave them a few shadow hand maneuvers. I'd recommend not to let them encounter too much of these at once , as it then could get a rather long and tedious encounter.

Oko and Qailee
2013-06-12, 09:46 AM
I once had my plaers encounter "weak" ghuls. However, it was indoors and very dark. Turned out, that they were invincible in darkness. In light, you could damage them and also kill them. However, once every 1d4+1 rounds, a ghul could extinguish a light source. Also, I gave them a few shadow hand maneuvers. I'd recommend not to let them encounter too much of these at once , as it then could get a rather long and tedious encounter.

This reminds me a lot of a LoZ mini-boss fight (OOseasons I believe). It's also a super cool idea. What was player lvl and Ghoul CR?

LordHenry
2013-06-12, 12:22 PM
3 player, around lvl 6. Ghuls (3) were a little buffed statwise, but overall not too strong, since the players have to figure out first how to harm them. They did, however, have a few shadowhand maneuvers which they cleverly used (combined with hiding behind pillars in a pitch-black room)

flamewolf393
2013-06-12, 02:12 PM
Ancient Dire platypus. That is all.