PDA

View Full Version : Magic in the Gilded City

Morgan_R
2013-06-09, 12:31 AM
So, I'm working on a high-magic/'clockpunk' setting, and I'm trying to figure out how the magic should work.

Things I want to integrate into the setting:

1) Magic-powered clockwork machinery (of course)
2) Biomancy, i.e., the magical equivalent of genetic engineering
3) Some vaguely plausible reason for the city to be gilded

And here's my first stab at it:
http://thegildedcity.wikidot.com/magic

I'm not completely happy with it, although it technically supports the three items listed above. (Well, sort of. Using gold for the ideograms that link each block of each tower to a more physically plausible scale model of itself is a little gratuitous.)

I'm also wondering if I'm getting hung up on building a cohesive system, at the cost of character archetypes that the players will actually want to play. If the core idea is that magic takes the place of technology in this world, it makes sense for it to be more about crafting and manipulating biology and things like that, versus personal power... but will that make for a fun game?

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated!

the_david
2013-06-09, 04:54 AM
The gold is magical and is used for runes in wards, clockworks and biomancy. Now you just have to add a magic goldmine.

themourningstar
2013-06-09, 12:29 PM
Im not going to touch any part of your magic system. However, if gold exists to such an extent that it is utilized in almost every level of their technology, I think it would be good to make it nearly valueless. Otherwise, the poor people in the Tarnished District are going to be trying to pry it off the walls. Base your economy off of something else basically.

Landis963
2013-06-09, 10:40 PM
Simple, have a magic foundry that doubles (or more) the molten gold in the vats. 1 bar's worth of gold goes in, the filigree'd spell works its magic, 2 bars come out. Agreed that gold should not, therefore, be the basis of the economy.

Morgan_R
2013-06-09, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the input, folks! Still mulling things over...

Elemental
2013-06-09, 11:42 PM
I can see two possible reasons as to why a city should be gilded (I'm assuming here that it's not that every building is plated with gold over every surface, but it still works if that's the case):
An ostentatious display of wealth and power. The city is so rich that in the past the rulers decided to spend vast sums decorating the buildings of the city with gold. So, like Fiery Domed Matherion, only with gold instead of mother of pearl.
Alternatively, they have an over-abundance of gold, and rather than allow pollution to erode the decorative stonework of the past, they just decided to coat the lot in a readily available material resistant to corrosion, thus preserving them.

Gildedragon
2013-06-11, 03:15 AM
Gold need not be the only thing that conducts magic; just the best. Precious metals and their alloys (especially gold, silver and copper; allowing lead for the cheapest magics may be of use) might be useful for magic.

Magic has a corrosive effect; thus copper, silver, gold and the like are used to have spells that will not erode. Enspelling a steel sword might leave you with a clump of rust after a few months (if not weeks) of use. Unscrupulous merchants might sell enchanted pyrite items; which will crumple into dust after a short time.

Brass and bronze are then used for most magical weaponry and mundane magics. Bronze is often used for weapons, costlier ones have gold or silver traceries to enhance the magic. Brass is used for architecture and display, because of its bright gold-like color. These metals need washing every so often to keep the magic effective; restoring the brightness restores the magic.

The city's lower wards are covered in brass to provide protection in the case of attack; it is that purpose that keeps the poorer wards covered in shining metal and not allowed to go dull. The benefits of water, light, structural stability and some pest control are ancillary to these wards,.

Middle and upper wards are gilded with tumbaga and electrum or even gold; each providing more powerful enchantments. Music, light, and powerful defenses.

The city is not entirely covered in the metal; merely traceries on the district walls, aqueducts, towers, and reservoirs, as well as wealthier homes and civic structures. The traceries are so tight and on such a large scale that from a distance the city looks like an upended bowl of gold, but upclose the ashlar walls and stone buildings betray the veneer of gilt. Only the most important streets are extensively coated in the metals.

Morgan_R
2013-06-11, 01:39 PM
Thanks, that's definitely helpful, Guigarci!

Gildedragon
2013-06-11, 07:50 PM
More than glad to help. It sounds like a promising setting