PDA

View Full Version : Lilliput and Brobdingnag?

Bogardan_Mage
2013-06-09, 03:51 AM
I'm looking for 3.x creatures that are mostly humanoid but on a different scale. Preferably with as few "unusual" features as possible (I'm sure there are lots of Fey that look like Tiny-sized humans, but they have a lot of other features as well, for example). I suppose it would be too much to ask for a setting explicitly inspired by Gulliver's Travels, but failing that what would be the closest thing in the game?

hamishspence
2013-06-09, 05:22 AM
Mountain Giants in MM2 are probably the closest to the residents of Brobdingnag- in having no special powers and being humanlike and very big.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-09, 05:59 AM
Lilliputians are going to be more difficult, though. They're supposed to be 1/12 the height of humans, or ~5.5 inches tall. That puts them firmly in "fine" territory, and I can't think of any fine creatures, let alone humanoids. Even spider swarms are made up of diminutive spiders.

hamishspence
2013-06-09, 06:00 AM
Hengonkai (sic) in Sparrow form, in Oriental Adventures.

I think there's also a fly swarm, with flies counting as Fine, somewhere, possibly Libris Mortis.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-09, 06:50 AM
Hengonkai (sic) in Sparrow form, in Oriental Adventures.

What is a Hengonkai? My copy only has Hengeyokai. And where are stats for sparrows? There's a thrush in the DMG (with the alternate familiars) but all but the smallest species of thrush are big enough to be diminutive.

hamishspence
2013-06-09, 06:55 AM
What is a Hengonkai? My copy only has Hengeyokai.

I couldn't remember the spelling- which was why I put (sic) since I knew whatever the spelling I used was, it would be wrong.

Page 12 of Oriental Adventures provides stats for a person taking the form- but not for the form itself- though it could be reverse-engineered from those stats- probably as a 1/8 HD animal.

The Viscount
2013-06-09, 11:01 AM
Jermlaines are fairly humanoid in appearance, though they are only tiny. You could have them all be victims of some mass curse manifested as permanent compression. That'd make them diminutive, which goes down to 6 inches, about the size of the Lilliputians. Their only special abilities are low-light vision and speak with rats, though they are Fey.

Flickerdart
2013-06-09, 11:27 AM
Arguably, because return to nature is instantaneous in duration, it will stack with itself when used repeatedly on a giant, thus decreasing them to an arbitrary size. Cast it on whatever you pick for your Brobdingnag to make them as small as you need and then you are done.

Cog
2013-06-09, 02:18 PM
I put (sic) since I knew whatever the spelling I used was, it would be wrong.
Slightly off topic, but (sic) means the opposite of that - it's what you put when what you've written is correct but looks like an error. (Sp) is more common for questionable spelling.

hamishspence
2013-06-09, 02:24 PM
I see. Maybe I was thinking of its usage when an exact transcription involves transcribing a known error:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(sic)

Lateral
2013-06-09, 02:39 PM
I see. Maybe I was thinking of its usage when an exact transcription involves transcribing a known error:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(sic)

Well, that's what it is, but that's not what you did. Sic would be used if, say, there were a piece of text that you were quoting that included the sentence 'whails are enormous', you could quote it as, "Whails (sic) are enormous".

hamishspence
2013-06-09, 02:41 PM
I get you. I'll remember next time I'm stuck on a word that's not easy to look up.

Bogardan_Mage
2013-06-09, 06:41 PM
Arguably, because return to nature is instantaneous in duration, it will stack with itself when used repeatedly on a giant, thus decreasing them to an arbitrary size. Cast it on whatever you pick for your Brobdingnag to make them as small as you need and then you are done.
The trouble is then I'm left with a Fine Giant with 30 hit dice. Which, if I'm following the RAW correctly, is technically still CR 26. What I'm looking for here is a convenient pre-existing statblock I can refer to. I could simply homebrew Colossal and Fine humans, and will probably end up doing so, but it's nice to have something that already exists to refer to.

The Mountain Giant seems ok, its Int is a little low but that's not hard to fix. Can anyone think of anything else for Lilliput?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-09, 06:45 PM
The trouble is then I'm left with a Fine Giant with 30 hit dice. Which, if I'm following the RAW correctly, is technically still CR 26. What I'm looking for here is a convenient pre-existing statblock I can refer to. I could simply homebrew Colossal and Fine humans, and will probably end up doing so, but it's nice to have something that already exists to refer to.

The Mountain Giant seems ok, its Int is a little low but that's not hard to fix. Can anyone think of anything else for Lilliput?

A return to nature'd Half-Giant (XPH)?

Bogardan_Mage
2013-06-09, 06:58 PM
A return to nature'd Half-Giant (XPH)?
Even disregarding the psionics, the problem is still there just less obvious. I don't need a spell to be able to arbitrarily set the size, I was just looking to see if there was a creature already statted out that would work. If there isn't, that's fine, but a spell that changes a creature's size isn't appreciably different from a DM fiat that changes a creature's size for my purposes.

Metahuman1
2013-06-09, 07:08 PM
As far as creatures, I really, truly don't think there are any in this edition. An oversight in dealing with classic literature.

You could perhaps start with awakened constructs built at fine size, and then use that spell in Savage Species to turn them into normal versions of what ever it is they were built to resemble. (I.E. if it was built to look like an elf, it's an elf with some modified stats. Same with a dwarf if it was built to look like a dwarf. Or a human if it was built to look like a human. )

That would give you Fine humanoid's if I'm remembering right, with a built in excuse of a wizard did it.

As for a stat block, just fill one out for a human or what have you with the appropriate class levels and money and such, and then add the modifiers for moving it to Fine (Big strength penalty, meaningful con penalty, Massive dex boost, penalty to intimidate, bonuses to stealth skills.) and the modifiers form the spells noted above.

Flickerdart
2013-06-09, 07:44 PM
It may be best to model liliputs as Swarms, rather than distinct creatures.

Bogardan_Mage
2013-06-09, 10:35 PM
It may be best to model liliputs as Swarms, rather than distinct creatures.
That is even more helpful than you know. Thanks, I think I'll do just that.

The Viscount
2013-06-09, 11:06 PM
That sounds like a good idea, especially since there are only 4 single, non-swarm creatures of diminutive or smaller size that I know of: The bat, toad, and crawling claw (all diminutive) and the hairy spider (fine).
Cityscape has rules for mobs, which might be useful if they can scale down.

Dire Duckybunny
2013-10-29, 11:02 PM
I can't help you with the Lilliputian issue (That is why I came here, to get help on that.) but I have found stats for Yahoos and Houyhnhns here http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=1447
http://creaturecatalog.enworld.org/cc/converted/view_c.php?CreatureID=2065

Uhtred
2013-10-30, 01:24 AM
Are Petals fine-size? And I know they are distinct creatures rather than swarms, although the Will save to resist their song gets higher the more of them there are.

Uncle Pine
2013-10-30, 04:35 AM
Green Ronin's "Advanced Bestiary" has the miniature template: it basically decrease the size of anything you like by four categories, but also goes on defining how the new decreased size affects things like spells' range, DR, fast healing abilities and so on. I ran an adventure as a DM a couple of months ago in which all the PCs were using the miniature template and it worked out really well.
Plus, the same book has the gigantean template, which is more or less the opposite of the above template. I didn't actually had the chance to try this yet, but it should be viable.

Anyway, do note that the Advanced Bestiary is 3rd party material, just in case you want to avoid this sort of things as a DM. Also, if you don't have it, you should be able to find a legal preview of the book online, if I remember correctly.