PDA

View Full Version : wild shape communication

geekintheground
2013-06-09, 05:14 AM
is there a spell or feat that would let a wild shaped druid communicate with their party? my dm doesnt like psionics and i took vow of poverty (i know it isnt very good)

Korahir
2013-06-09, 05:17 AM
if your dm allows pathfinder material: wild-speech (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/wild-speech)

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-09, 05:21 AM
buy the party's wizard convince the party's wizard to buy a scroll each of rary's telepathic bond and permanency.

geekintheground
2013-06-09, 05:27 AM
thanks guys :smallsmile:
if we use the scroll, does he have to pay the exp?

Studoku
2013-06-09, 05:39 AM
Normally the xp expenditure is covered in the cost of the scroll. In the case of permanency, it covers up to 2000xp. Since the cost of permancying telepathic bond is 2500xp, the wizard would have to pay 500xp or ind a scroll that costs even more (about 12-13k).

One tap for yes, two for no is much cheaper.

Rhynn
2013-06-09, 05:45 AM

XP costs are paid when making the magic item (such as scroll), which makes a scroll of permanency pretty expensive. You'd need CL 13 permanency with 2,500 XP cost, which comes out to 1,625 gp plus 12,500 gp for the XP (at 5 gp per 1 XP), for a total of 14,125 gp.

NB: The SRD/DMG "standard" scroll of permanency claims its got XP costs up to 2,000 XP paid, but the price is 1,000 gp too low for that; and 2,000 XP would be useless since the scroll is only CL 9, which only allows you to make permanent spells with a 500 XP cost to make permanent... (It's CL 9th for 1st-level spells, 500 XP at CL 9th; +1 CL for each increase of 1 in spell level, and +500 XP for each increase in CL. This isn't stated, but all the examples obey that formula.)

hamishspence
2013-06-09, 05:45 AM
Or one could communicate via movements. Seems like an opportunity for roleplaying- though it could get a little silly.

With people misquoting Lassie "What's that? Timmy's down a well?"

TuggyNE
2013-06-09, 05:53 AM
MIC's Pearl of Speech might work, although some people consider that cheesy.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-09, 05:55 AM
buy the party's wizard convince the party's wizard to buy a scroll each of rary's telepathic bond and permanency.

It'd make more sense for the wizard to either cast the spell themselves or see if they can get a scroll without XP in it. Then "pay" the wizard with services for the casting (be their guard dog for a week). The wizard will make up the XP cost quickly, and may even end up ahead in the deal depending on your DM's rules for leveling up.

Khedrac
2013-06-09, 06:22 AM
MIC's Pearl of Speech might work, although some people consider that cheesy.
It works very well without cheese (though you might need to equip it after you wild shame) except the OP specified Vow of Poverty which rules it out for this particular example.

If you have an active familiar there is a lot to be said for getting a Pearl of Speech for it - enabled it to communicate with the rest of the party.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-09, 06:22 AM
What level is your party that you all don't have permanent telepathic bonds with one another?

Buy a scroll of Telepathic Bond and a Scroll of Gate. Gate in a Solar and have it use its 3/day Permanency SLA to make three of the TB's permanent and its 1/Day wish SLA to get you another Scroll of Gate. Repeat until every party member (including familiars and animal companions) has a Permanent Telepathic Bond with every other party member.

Pretty much the best investment a party can make and it has massive advantages.

TuggyNE
2013-06-09, 06:29 AM
It works very well without cheese

Yeah, I wouldn't have considered it cheese (I've seen it used in a low-op game), but others have commented on that in the past.

except the OP specified Vow of Poverty which rules it out for this particular example.

Bah, reading fail.

buttcyst
2013-06-09, 06:34 AM
look for any books that have wild feats, pretty sure I saw talking wildshape somewhere... might be epic though, take a peek there just in case

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-09, 06:44 AM
A permanent Tongues will let you speak regardless of form, so long as the person you want to speak with is capable of speech.

Crake
2013-06-09, 06:50 AM
Since you have vow of poverty, incarnum soulmelds shouldnt interfere with anything you have? Two feats from incarnum should give you the ability to get the telepathy soulmeld. The first doesnt have a level requirement, but the second requires level 6, so you wont be able to get it until level 9 if you plan on picking up natural spell at level 6.

For reference, the soulmeld is Shedu Crown, the feats are Open Least Chakra (Crown)[This is the one that requires level 6] and Shape Soulmeld (Shedu Crown).

With those two feats, you should get +1 bonus to will saves, Telepathy 100ft and immunity to all bull-rush-like effects (including bibgy's forceful hand and telekinesis when used to perform bullrush maneuvers)

Bit of a roundabout way to get it, but achievable by level 9 with natural spell which, if your DM let you pick up pathfinder's wild speech, is the same level you'd be able to pick that up anyway, you'd just need to pick up a feat earlier in your adventuring career

Chronos
2013-06-09, 06:52 AM
The first level of Master of Many Forms lets you speak any languages you know while wildshaped, as well as speak with any creatures of your form's type. The class doesn't advance spellcasting, but it offers a bunch of other goodies for wildshape.

Personally, though, with the druid I'm playing right now, I just communicate via gestures and my form's natural sounds. Which actually turns out to be better communication than when he's humanoid, due to his habit of speaking cryptically about everything.

Deophaun
2013-06-09, 07:28 AM
Aberration Wild Shape, Dragon Wild Shape. Turn in to something that can talk.

geekintheground
2013-06-09, 01:28 PM
wow, thanks guys! thats a lot of stuff, not really sure how i missed it XD

oh, and we're currently lvl 5-6

thethird
2013-06-09, 01:31 PM
You might want to get hidden talent (or be a kalashtar) for mindlink (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindlink.htm)

JusticeZero
2013-06-09, 01:38 PM
You might want to get hidden talent (or be a kalashtar) for mindlink (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindlink.htm)
Alas, as mentioned, the DM doesn't like magic systems spelled with a "P". Even though that's the only difference. :smallsigh:

Zaq
2013-06-09, 01:57 PM
Fell Conspiracy, from Exemplars of Evil, is not actually evil, and it's a really good idea to have a character with it in just about every party.

StreamOfTheSky
2013-06-09, 02:54 PM
Any (Improved) Familiar with telepathy helps.

Drow Sign Language might be an option, depending on the form you take. Party just needs to spend skill points on Speak Language.

If you can get Ghost Sound onto your spell list, that also works. In PF, there's a trait (two world magic) to do so.

my13
2013-06-09, 06:33 PM
i have a similar issue with my druid, i just realized last night while wild shaped and trying to assist a party member that couldnt understand a bird lol... we have a new party member that has a spell 'tongues' that enables her to speak any language, would she be able to communicate with animals or would that be considered not a language??

Chronos
2013-06-09, 10:22 PM
With normal animals, no. You need the Speak with Animals spell for that.

With a wildshaped druid... Ask your DM.