PDA

View Full Version : Concentration Check for continuing spells while moving/searching?

BenShums
2013-06-09, 06:01 AM
Is there a concentration check to taking a move action while you're concentrating on a spell? E.g. let's say I want to maintain a wall illusion (with silent image) while I'm running away?

Also, since I'm the group's trap finder, is there a concentration check for a) searching for traps while b) maintaining a spell whose duration is concentration (again, such as silent image)? Would there be a hit to my character's searching check?

Curmudgeon
2013-06-09, 06:11 AM
No.
Concentrating to maintain a spell is a standard action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity. Anything that could break your concentration when casting a spell can also break your concentration while you’re maintaining one, causing the spell to end.
You can't Search for traps while maintaining a spell, unless you have a way of getting both a full-round action and a standard action every round.
Action: It takes a full-round action to search a 5-foot-by-5-foot area or a volume of goods 5 feet on a side. Searching will definitely break your concentration on the existing spell.

buttcyst
2013-06-09, 06:24 AM
cast haste first

TuggyNE
2013-06-09, 06:34 AM
cast haste first

What good will that do? 3.5 haste doesn't give you a standard action. (Good thing too; that was absurdly broken in 3.0.)

Sonorous hum might help, though, or whatever that other spell is that has your familiar take over concentrating.

buttcyst
2013-06-09, 06:37 AM
maybe it was allegro...

Allanimal
2013-06-09, 09:37 AM
Just somehow get 10 levels of Spirit Shaman and you can concentrate on spells while doing anything else.

A 10 level dip isn't too much, is it?

mattie_p
2013-06-09, 09:42 AM
Familiar concentration feat from Lost Empires of Faerun allows you to transfer concentration to your familiar as a free action, who maintains it for as long as you like, up to the duration of the spell.

Also, swift concentration skill trick from Complete Scoundrel allows you to concentrate as a swift action for one round, long enough to do your search check.

Deophaun
2013-06-09, 02:23 PM
Extraordinary Concentration Feat in Complete Adventurer lets you maintain concentration as a move or swift. Requires 15 ranks in Concentration though, so not until level 12.

TuggyNE
2013-06-09, 07:14 PM
Familiar concentration feat from Lost Empires of Faerun allows you to transfer concentration to your familiar as a free action, who maintains it for as long as you like, up to the duration of the spell.

Ah, yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. Sonorous hum should still work without a feat slot, though.