PDA

View Full Version : Of Mice and Monsters IC

Bennosuke
2013-06-09, 07:53 AM
Chapter 1: Introducing a Man
Scene 1

Malcolm has agreed to meet his good friend Brand for a late drink and a bite tonight. Despite being best friends, the two of you have been unusually distant for the past few months. Maybe Brand has just been busy with the development of a new bar, an adventure that he seemed to decide on out of nowhere a couple of months ago. Or maybe you have just been too busy with work. Other than a few text messages and short phone conversations, the two of you have barely been in contact.

Brand asked you to meet him at "The Discarded Image", a small unpopular watering hole in the Shopping District. You have never been, and it is unlike Brand to insist on a place that isn't the two of you aren't regulars at. This upsets you, but you push the thoughts of discomfort down. At least you are finally meeting up with Malcolm. Work has been too busy the last couple of months and things have been a little lonely, though you would never admit it, not even to yourself.

You took the T in, and are now just about a block from the bar. It's a small building nestled between two gigantic financial monoliths. The exterior is wood painted some dark color. A metallic sign flashes "The Discarded Image" above the large metal double doors. No one waits outside the bar, in fact at 11:00pm the Financial District seems quite dead.

Longes
2013-06-09, 09:31 AM
Malcolm stood a bit before the door, shifting uneasily from leg to leg.
Damn it, Brand, what are you planning now? What kind of a slum is this? That's not his usual type of place, that I'm sure of. Holy ****, is that wood? Is that bar built out of wood? In Chicago? That's a weird place for a bar made out of wood.
Malcolm straightened his tie and opened the door. Loud noises passing up for music in this place livened up the street, as did the stench of beer. Malcolm entered the bar and scanned it in search of Brand.

Bennosuke
2013-06-09, 09:52 AM
Malcolm enters the bar, and then immediately regrets it. The inside of the Discarded Image would be nice in some science fiction horror maybe, or a carnival, but you immediately decide this is the last place you want to get drink. The walls are lined with glass that has been scoured and treated, so that everything reflected is wavy, distorted and unreal. The fixtures of the bar are brushed steel and porcelain white, producing an atmosphere that gleams and appears to reflect everywhere, without reflecting any real images.

If that weren't bad enough, the patrons are equally bizarre and uninviting. The bar seems to be silent, and when Malcolm enters, he can feel the eyes of all the patrons on him. One bald headed man at the end of the bar actually puts arm against the bar as if he were about to stand, but instead just turns his head and stares at Malcolm. All the patrons sit at the bar, despite the few tables and booths scattered around the perimeter of this small bar. They are all dressed extremely well, and seem to be huddled in small pairs. Malcolm actually catches one woman in a long black dress and wavy brown hair turn to her companion and whisper. She smiles at Malcolm as he catches her eye.

But Brand is no where to be seen!

Longes
2013-06-09, 10:15 AM
Great, a freak convention. Play it cool, Mal, play it cool.
Malcolm proceeds moves to the bar, trying to make as little noise as possible. Of course, that never goes well, and Malcolm almost collides with one of the tables
-Sorry.
Having reached the bar, Malcolm takes seat and motions the bartender.
I'd better not get drunk in a place like this. That might be dangerous.
-Coffee please. Have you seen a guy named Brand here? Tall, red hair, blue eyes, a complete jackass?

Bennosuke
2013-06-09, 10:28 AM
The bartender is a thin if not severe woman with a dull smile. Despite the warm weather of Summer, she is wears a cardigan sweater over a low cut, red tank top. "Ah, you must be Malcolm, Brand said you would be coming. He must be running late, I'm sure he'll be here soon. I'll go get that coffee for ya.". She turns, and begins walks down the bar, towards a swinging door which must lead into the kitchen.

You realize you chose to sit just a few stools over from the woman in the black dress, the one who you caught whispering about you. Even if you don't turn your head, you can feel her eyes on you.

Longes
2013-06-09, 10:36 AM
Is that chick interested in me? And why would Brand leave me hanging here? That's not like him, to be late.
Malcolm tries to discretely study the woman in black.

Bennosuke
2013-06-09, 10:52 AM
The woman is long and tall, maybe even taller than Malcolm. She has long shiny brown hair that begins to get wavy as it ends near the small of her back. She Has her hair tied back with a silver clip, very regal. Her skin is pale, but not in a bad way, and her shoulders have light brown freckles on them. Her dress is black and long. Her eyes are ice blue.

You can't help but meet her stare, she has been staring at you. You almost drown in her eyes, they are swallowing you. It seems like she is about to say something, but the kitchen door opens, and the bartender comes back in with your coffee. "Here you go sir. Would you like to open a tab?". The magical moment is over. The woman has returned her attention to her companion sitting next to her.

As you start to take care of the bill, the door to the bar opens and Brand walks in. He is tall and well muscled, with short dyed blond hair and blue eyes. Malcolm, Malcolm, Malcolm. Good to see you.". His grin is ear to ear as he walks up to the bar and comes between you and the woman in black. It seems like they make eye contact as he begins to sit down, but then turns to the bartender. "Tina, could we each get two fingers of bourbon, on ice?".

Longes
2013-06-09, 10:59 AM
-Brand, you son of a bitch! Long time no see. Did you die your hair?
Malcolm visibly relaxes and begins seeping his coffee.
"Say, do you know this miracle in a black dress that's behind you?" he whispers dramatically, loud enough for the woman to hear.

Bennosuke
2013-06-09, 11:41 AM
"Ya, I dyed it a while back, I guess I really haven't seen you for a while. Things have been pretty hectic." He runs his hands through his hair self consciously, his charismatic smile playing across his face.

The bartender, Tina, serves you each your bourbon, giving a doe eyed smile to Brand as she turns to walk towards another customer skulking at the end of the bar.

Brand looks quickly over his shoulder"I guess you could say I do, long story". His smile vanishes for a second, as if he were about to cry, but then it flashes back as he says, "So tell me, what is new with you? It's been too long". He takes a big sip of his amber colored bourbon.

Longes
2013-06-09, 11:47 AM
"Oh, you know, the usual. Sitting in my lab, planning to take over the world, building a hole as black as Alice's heart. We broke up recently." - Malcolm's face twists at her mention - "It seems there's a tragic story between you and my dark angel, eh? But anyway, why did you call me here? Please, tell me that you are not planning to buy this place."

Bennosuke
2013-06-09, 11:52 AM
"NO, I couldn't buy this place even if I had the money." Brand looks around at the nearly silent bar. Once again you get the feeling all eyes are on the two of you. "I know the woman who runs this place. It's pretty interesting right? I'm sorry to hear about you and Alice? Mind if I ask what happened?"

Longes
2013-06-09, 12:03 PM
"No, I couldn't buy this place even if I had the money."
Malcolm's brow arcs at the sound of that. Brand not being able to buy something? That's... just weird. And a bit wrong.
""Interesting" is not what I would say about the place. The patrons are kind of strange. And it's too quite for my tast."
"Another coffee, please, Tina!", Malcolm motions to Tina.
"Oh, you know. She kept nagging me. "Malcolm, stop starring at the paper. Malcolm, come home earlier. Malcolm, don't build radioactive robo-mutants." Women, am I right?" Bitter sarcasm seeped in those words.
"Still, why did you call me here? Did something happened? You refused to meet me a weak ago, when I offered, and now you call yourself."

Bennosuke
2013-06-09, 12:16 PM
Brand seems to ignore the last remark from Malcolm, cutting with a rather personal question, "So, did you break up with her then?".

Longes
2013-06-09, 12:18 PM
"I already said, yes."
Malcolm turns and looks Brand in the eyes.
"Brand, what's wrong?"

Bennosuke
2013-06-09, 12:38 PM
"It's nothing, I've just had a lot of obligations later. Really, it's nothing.". Almost on cue, Brand's cellphone begins to ring. He pulls it out and looks at the contact info of the incoming call. "I'm sorry, but I've got to take this." Before you can interrupt, he rushes outside, his eyes glued to his phone. You watch as he leaves, once again stranded in the bar.

Less than a few heartbeats pass before the lady in the black dress shuffles over to where Brand was sitting. You realize her companion is no longer at the bar, but before you can look for her in the bar, "your angel" locks eyes with you and again you begin to melt. "My name is Melissa, mind if I sit here?" She smiles, her ruby lipstick perfect on thin but expressive lips.

Longes
2013-06-09, 01:14 PM
Now both Malcolm's brows arced.
Brand is acting seriously weird. What could have happened to him?
As Malcolm turns, his meet Melissa's gaze and he stops breathing for a second.
-Of course, sweety. You can seat wherever you want. I'm Malcolm, nice to meet you. Do you often come here?

Bennosuke
2013-06-09, 01:22 PM
"Sweety?", her purr is almost feral, "Don't call me sweety, unless you want the same little boy." Now that she is closer, you can tell she is taller than you, at least sitting. "It appears you and Brand are good friends?"

Longes
2013-06-09, 01:32 PM
Malcolm immediately becomes weary and slides back from Melissa. Brand usually doesn't drag his enemies to his friends, but who knows what's going on here.
"Depends. Why do you ask?"

Bennosuke
2013-06-09, 01:41 PM
"I suppose you could say he is a business associate of mine, though he is also a friend". She rests a gentle hand on your shoulder, "Now you said your name is Malcolm? Brand has mentioned you many times to me." She smiles very coyly as her hand slides down your shoulder to the crook of your arm.

Longes
2013-06-09, 10:40 PM
Oh, this night is going really weird really fast.
-He did? Only the good things, I hope? He never mentioned you, Melissa. Do you mind telling me more about this bar? It seems... strange.

Bennosuke
2013-06-10, 05:36 AM
"He said only the best of things", she smiles warmly. It now feels like you are the only two people in the bar, though you can't be sure, because it seems so hard to take your eyes away from her. "The Discarded Image is a specialty bar. Those who come he, come for the ambiance it provides. The owner and bartender, Misss Tina Bortz, has been quite succesful since opening this place. We just love it".

Melissa slides a little closer, "Please darling, would you tell me a bit about yourself?"

Longes
2013-06-10, 05:53 AM
We?
Malcolm shifted uneasily at his seat. There was something wrong here, but he couldn't quite put hist finger on it.
"Oh, I'm a scientist. A scholar, bravely facing the terrors of the unknown, getting face to face with horrors beyond human understanding. Reaching for the limits of knowledge in an attempt to break through."
Malcolm tried to move his gaze away from her. Little by little, step by step.
It would be alright. First, break the eye contact. Look at here nose, don't look at her eyes. Damn, that's a good nose! Now, caaaarefully... Look at her ear. What's wrong with me? Why am I so nervous? It should be a normal night, why do I feel so uneasy? And where the hell is Brand? I've always sensed trouble, but I don't see anything here! Argh! This is driving me nuts!
"I study physics at the Chicago U. And I'm a pretty good martial artist. Brand and I fought our share of fights for the hearts of beautiful dames. But enough about me. What do you do for life, Melissa? Could we have met each other before? I know some important people, and the star like you would be fitting in the high society."
Malcolm uneasily studies her and the bar, trying to notice the reason for his discomfort.

Bennosuke
2013-06-10, 06:06 AM
"Molecular biology!", she looks over her shoulder to see what you are looking around for. The bar still has other patrons, in fact it seems like many of them have not moved an inch since you entered. "You said you are studying physics? Where do you hope to go with that?"

Longes
2013-06-10, 06:14 AM
Molecular biology? Huh. That's unexpected. Maybe this place is cooler than I thought.
"Why, into SCIENCE of course! Physics is fun, and it won't run out of stuff to study for the next few hundred years. I'm mostly doing theoretical physics - quantum mechanics and the like. Lots of thinking, lots of math, lots of wasted paper and erasers."
Those people are creeping me out. And Melissa seems to avoid answering my questions. I better get a break.
"I'm sorry, physical needs. Would you kindly wait for me?"
With that, Malcolm attempts to stand up and go to the bathroom.

Bennosuke
2013-06-10, 07:33 AM
She nods and points you towards the back of the bar. The other patrons watch lazily as you make your way to the bathroom. The bathroom door confronts you with your own distorted reflection in its worked metal surface, like a carnival mirror. Inside everything is pristine porcelain and marble. It is a small but comfortable restroom that smells of some flowery disinfectant.

Longes
2013-06-10, 10:23 AM
Malcolm uses the facilities, washes his face, takes out the mobile and calls Brand.

Bennosuke
2013-06-10, 12:29 PM
You call Brand. The first time, it rings to voicemail, the secon it only rings twice. Before you can ring a third, you get a text, sorry man, something came up.

Longes
2013-06-10, 12:40 PM
Really? Brand, you bastard, you owe me a good party for this.
Malcolm stays a bit before the mirror, contemplating the situation. Then, he calls home, and leaves a message at the voicemail, explaining where he is.
Well, at least if something is really wrong and I go missing, police will know where to look.
With that done, Malcolm washes his hands once again, and leaves the bathroom.

Bennosuke
2013-06-10, 04:28 PM
As you exit the bathroom you are unable to keep your eyes off of Melissa. She is undeniably beautiful, and although her entire body could be described as distracting, you are unable to stop from meeting her gorgeous eyes as she smiles at you. Despite your desperation to escape, you find yourself smiling back, a pile of moosh inside.

She stands up from the bar, allowing you to fully grasp how tall and thin and statuesque she is. She saunters over in the most erotic manner you have ever seen a woman move. She comes close, placing one hand on your shoulder and the other around the small of your back, as if she were about to dance with you. She leans her lips near your ear. "It was lovely meeting you Malcolm. Maybe we can meet again some time". Her hand slides down your lower back, lower and lower, until she places a folded napkin in your pocket, "That's my number, call me sometime. Maybe you, me and Brand can go out for a drink, or maybe if you'd like, just you and me".

She takes several steps backwards releasing you from her embrace, and letting her eyes linger on your face, before turning around and exiting the bar.

Longes
2013-06-11, 12:01 AM
What a weird night. Well, at least I've got her number.
Malcolm sits at the bar, orders beer and some peanuts.
Tina, do you know Brand for a long time?

Bennosuke
2013-06-11, 05:42 AM
Tina looks at you with a dull stare, "Oh, Brand has been coming by for a couple months now. He's been by a few times I guess."

Longes
2013-06-12, 04:01 AM
Oh, so he is not a patron in this place? Interesting.
"And what about Melissa? Does she visit this place often? What kind of public usually gathers in this place?"

Bennosuke
2013-06-12, 06:45 AM
"Melissa comes about once every week or so. Our customers tend to be very loyal, though The Discarded Image clearly isn't for everyone."

Please roll perception=will + composure in the OOC. I will ask you to make rolls in the OOC in general.

Bennosuke
2013-06-12, 09:21 AM
As you speak with Tina, you notice the drink Melissa left, maybe a gin and tonic, is full, the ice still melting. Then as you look along the bar you realize that no one has touched their drinks.

You can feel the eyes of every patron on you, and your heart racing in your chest. It feels hard to breath, and it is too hot. The room seems to be closing in.

Longes
2013-06-12, 09:42 AM
Weird. Why are they not drinking? What is this, a zombie bar?
Malcolm tries to remember, if there was a window in the bathroom.
If there was: Malcolm leaves the money for the coffee on the bar, and goes to the bathroom with the intent to sneak out.
Otherwise, he leaves the money and goes through the front door.

Bennosuke
2013-06-12, 04:35 PM
As far as you remember, there was no window in the bathroom. d

Malcolm goes to pay for his drinks, but Tina says, "Oh, they were already payed for, by Melissa of course". She makes kissy noises as if to tease Malcolm. Hurriedly, Malcolm steps out of the bar, very uncomfortable with the whole experience. A quick neurotic check shows that the streets are empty and no one has followed from inside the bar.

OOC: Please state what Malcolm will do at this point

Longes
2013-06-12, 11:33 PM
Malcolm is going home, trying to free his head from sudden nervousness.

Bennosuke
2013-06-13, 01:05 PM
You walks as fast as he can to the train station. It feels like you can't breath fast enough, and you can feel your heart pounding in your chest. Every few seconds you check over your shoulder, swearing you can hear footsteps behind you, only to realize they are only your own. By the time you arrive at your apartment, you are exhausted. But sleep does not come easy to Malcolm, and when he does it is wrought with nightmares.

Scene 2

The next day, Friday, is a blur. Having not slept well you stumble through your usual work routine. Please describe what Malcolm does during the day Friday, and what he plans to do Friday night (contact Melissa, Contact Brand, or do something completely different).

Longes
2013-06-13, 11:35 PM
Malcolm sits in a laboratory, going over the papers.
Ugh. What the hell happened yesterday? This bar was wrong! Like, seriously wrong. I've never had such a nervousness before, not even when Alice and I were jumped by the mugger. It's like I was about to die!
"I need a coffee. Or ten."

It's night, and Malcolm is ordering his documents, and cleaning up his table. Having done that, he goes to a dojo in which he studies Kung-Fu in a hope to calm down, and maybe meet Brand.

Bennosuke
2013-06-15, 09:24 AM
Malcolm finishes his work at the university before taking the train to Bei Lou's Kung Fu gym on the South Side of Chicago. He brings his equipment bag with his gloves, headgear and shinguards.

Brand is at the gym tonight. He immediately greets Malcolm upon seeing him, apologizing profusely for last night. "I'm really really sorry. I hope you'll let me make it up to you with a few drinks. Anything happen with Melissa?"

As the two of you chat, you begin warming up and stretching.

Longes
2013-06-15, 10:22 PM
"You invited me to a bar, and then just left! You bastard, you."
Malcolm throws some punches trying to catch Brand off guard.
"You owe me an explanation, and some of your treasured brandy (http://instantrimshot.com/). No, nothing happened between me and Melissa. Seriously, that bar creeps me out. Why did you chose that place?"

Bennosuke
2013-06-16, 11:08 AM
Brand seems pretty off today in sparring. His punches are sloppy and telegraphed, his combos short, and he seems to gas after just a few minutes. In between rounds he struggles for breath as he tells you. "I can't even begin to explain to you how screwed up and busy my nights have been. Look, I owe Melissa a few favors. She said she wanted to meet you. That said, well... can I take you out tonight. Melissa wants to meet up, she has a business proposition for you."

The round ends, and Brand is too tired to continue. You should rotate to another partner. You can either finish this conversation now with Brand, or finish it after practice.

Longes
2013-06-16, 11:26 AM
Curiouser and curiouser! Well, I'd better live him to his 'problems'.
Finishing the training, Malcolm takes a shower and calls Melissa after getting dressed.
"Hi. Brand said you want to meet me?"

Bennosuke
2013-06-16, 02:13 PM
"Yes, maybe the three of us; I, you and Brand could meet for a drink?". Her voice is velvety over the phone. "Why don't you and Brand choose the location, I can understand how last night may not have been your 'scene'. But make sure it is some place intimate. I have a proposal for you, and would prefer my... privacy."

Longes
2013-06-17, 12:54 AM
Oh, what the hell. I can't let paranoia controll my life, can I?
"All right. I'll call you in about an hour when I've chosen the location. How about meeting at nine?"

Bennosuke
2013-06-17, 06:26 AM
"Sounds good." She hangs up without saying goodbye.

Longes
2013-06-17, 11:55 PM
Malcolm chooses one of the better clubs he knows, leaves a note at his home, in case he goes missing, calls Melissa and Brand.

Transition to the club, I guess?

Bennosuke
2013-06-18, 07:39 AM
You tell Brand to meet you at 8, to give you plenty of time to chew him out, even if he comes late. You meet him at Jumanji 88, a relatively intimate club with a small dance floor, dark lighting, and a live band. Tonight the band is Carl's Mystery Trip, a colorful Funk and RnB trio. Their music is decent, but maybe a little loud.

Brand is already at Jumanji when you get there. He's grabbed a booth and a drink. "Hey man. I guess I owe you a couple apologize, huh?"

Longes
2013-06-18, 08:23 AM
"Apology accepted, bro. But a drink and an explanation would be nice. Some background on Melissa would be even nicer."

Bennosuke
2013-06-18, 09:06 AM
Brand takes a deep swig of his beer. "Man, I don't even know where to begin.". He looks around the room cautiously, making sure no one is around to overhear. "She's invested a lot of money into my upcoming project, to the point where she may as well own the damn bar we're building. She's got a lot of money, though I don't know where it comes from. You'll think it's stupid, but I feel like working with her is like making a deal with the devil. She's so beautiful, but I can't help but feel that... well, that she's dangerous." He takes another long drink from his pint, putting it down almost empty. "I know it sounds stupid. I told her about you a while back, it seemed like she was interested in the fact that you do physics over at the university. I didn't mean to get you involved... though if anyone will be taking her to bed, there's no way you're getting there first." He smiles wryly at his challenge.

Longes
2013-06-18, 11:19 AM
Oh, boy.
"I have a feeling that you owe me much more than a beer. I take you up on that challenge though! Maybe, if you've finished your degree, you'd have hot chicks asking for you as well."
Malcolm shows him tongue :smalltongue:, teasing Brand.
They sit and chat, until Melissa shows up.

Bennosuke
2013-06-18, 11:56 AM
The two of you continue to chat for some time, till the doors to the bar swing open, revealing the tall and beautiful Melissa. Like in a movie, the entire bar quiets as she enters, and she literally turns heads. She is in a dark red dress with laces up the front of her cleavage and a diamond of cloth missing from the lower back. She makes her way first to the bar, slowly, as if enjoying the stares. She orders a drink, and then without waiting for it, walks over to the table where you and Brand sit. "Hello boys, how nice of you to start without me." She smiles like the cat who caught the canary as the the bar tender leaves the bar to deliver her martini to the table.

Longes
2013-06-18, 12:35 PM
"Hello, sweety. And here I was, entertaining our mutual friend, and not being drunk enough. Or at all. How was your day?"

Bennosuke
2013-06-18, 12:45 PM
"You can't imagine how much of a bore it was. I may as well have slept all day. And yourself?"

Longes
2013-06-18, 12:57 PM
"Oh, you know. Lots of thinking, lots of coffee, not enough beautiful ladies."
Malcolm keeps up the chatter for a few minutes.
"Well, you wanted to talk about something? Or was that just a cunning way to get me into a bar?"
Malcolm smiles slightly.

Bennosuke
2013-06-18, 01:14 PM
"Maybe a bit of both", she smiles. "I have a favor to ask of you, something that I believe will be in both our best interests, but something I would be willing to repay you for. I am sure you are familiar with Dr. Francis Gregard?"

You are. In fact, he is one of the top engineers and theoretical physicists in your department at University of Chicago. Everyone in the department, including the undergrads knows of him.

"He is currently working on a machine that will purify weapons grade Uranium twice as fast as Americans are currently capable of. While the science behind it is quiet impressive, the last thing this country needs is increased capacity for production of nuclear weapons.

" Brand here tells me that you are very familiar with the campus and enjoy playing stealth games. My hope is that you would be willing to break into his laboratory and sabotage the machine."

Longes
2013-06-18, 01:16 PM
"What?"
WHAT?!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!!!???

Bennosuke
2013-06-18, 01:31 PM
"Shhhhhhhh", she looks at you sternly. "It is for the betterment of society and the planet. That sort of technology is just too dangerous. The last thing this world needs are more nuclear weapons. The majority of his funding is coming from none other than the US military, you can see why they would be interested in this.

"Brand told me that you believed in doing what is right for society, that those with a strong moral fiber and the ability to act had a responsibility to protect others and do the right thing. If you cannot handle this responsibility, I can find someone else."

Longes
2013-06-18, 01:43 PM
I guess I was unclear on that. No quotations and in italics - thoughts.
"So, you meet an unknown man in the bar, and you offer him to sabotage a nuclear equipment? What's the catch and what do I get out of it?"
if you do something good - never do it for free.

Bennosuke
2013-06-18, 02:30 PM
You have it once in plain text without quotations and once italics with.

"No no," she laughts, "Brand has told me all about you. In fact, I came up with this very plan with you in mind". You turn to Brand who shrugs and takes another hard pull from his drink."The equipment itself isn't nuclear, it just prepares the isotopes. I can pay you with money if you'd like, name your price. Otherwise, let's just say me owing you a favor can go a long long way."

As she says this last part, you can feel her now unshoed foot sliding up the side of your leg under the table. "It would mean so very much to me."

Longes
2013-06-18, 02:42 PM
Ugh. Go for the italics.

"Well, let's stop at the favor. Care to give some more details about what I should do?"
This is peeeeeerfectly normal. Just smile and don't make sudden movements. And who exactly needs this? I somewhat doubt she is just THAT much of an ecology freak.

Bennosuke
2013-06-18, 04:26 PM
"You will need to break into his lab at night. I don't have a key to his door, so you will have to find some way around that. After that, it is very simple. I've had a friend design a little DexM virus based around the software used to run the machine. Load the virus onto whatever computer the Doctor uses to run the project. The virus should be relatively untracable, but when he starts up the program again, it will cause the machine to run particles at dangerously high speeds, essentially melting the machine. Does this mean you are in?"

Longes
2013-06-19, 05:52 AM
"Eh, I just can't say no to a lady like you"

Bennosuke
2013-06-19, 08:05 AM
"Excellent," she purrs, her foot now having reached the proximal length of your inner thigh, quickly retracts. "I've always believed that a strong man has the ability to mold the world for a better future. Thank you for proving this to me. I will have the DexM disc in your mailbox tomorrow. How does 100,000,000$ sound, or would you prefer something else?"

Longes
2013-06-19, 02:52 PM
Sure. Better future. Better for whom, I wonder.
"Oh, just your eternal friendship"
Malcolm smiles as charmingly as he can.
"And how will you know the results?"

Bennosuke
2013-06-20, 09:05 AM
"It should be big enough news that even if it does not make it's way into the headlines, people will be talking about it all over campus."

"is there anything you think you will need that I can get you?"

Longes
2013-06-20, 10:51 AM
Making some sense would be nice. Who offers such money to a stranger in a bar? Why am I agreeing? How is Brand related to all this? Is the moon actually made out of cheese? Mmm... cheese...
"Che..." Malcolm abruptly stops and coughs. "Nothing I can think of right now. Let's just have us a nice evening. Vita nostra, viva la revolution and stuff."

Bennosuke
2013-06-20, 02:35 PM
The three of you spend the night drinking and talking. Much of the conversation continues to circle around the idea of morals and moral responsibility. Eventually, Melissa lays a strong hand on your arm, and says, "Honestly, it sounds like most of your views come from Nietzsche. Please tell me you've read Zarathustra."

In OOC please roll stamina+composure (4d10) to see how well you are handling your alcohol. Also, I'm looking forward to exploring your views on the Ubermensch

Bennosuke
2013-06-21, 06:08 AM
You competently hold your liquor down without much more than a buzz. Please respond to Melissa's question.

Longes
2013-06-28, 02:02 PM
Ugh. Philosophy - thou ist my mortal enemy.
"Sure I did. It's a rather interesting book, I think. Although, I somewhat disagree with Nietzsche on his beliefs about individualism. Ubermench may be a perfectly selfcontained individual, but a human might not. And we, sadly, are all still humans. Man is a pack animal, and selfishness destroys society. I believe, that to reach a better future man must be selfless, and care about the others."

Woohoo, I'm a Bachelor of Technology now!

Bennosuke
2013-06-30, 08:22 AM
"That seems rather self evident, don't you think? To have a better future, we must strive to better ourselves?" Melissa teases. "Anyways, I suppose it is getting late, and it is time for me to return to my lonely little bed."

Aye, but you wanted the themes of this story or the character's struggle to be based on said philosophy :smalltongue:.

Longes
2013-07-01, 11:27 AM
I roll for Seduction?

Bennosuke
2013-07-01, 12:26 PM
"I could join you", you say all too eagerly. There is an awkward silence at the table. Brand gives you an embarrassed look. Melissa looks at you blankly. That didn't come out right!

Then a wide grin spreads across Melissa's face, and she starts laughing, a hearty deep throated laugh. "How cute." She stands up from the table and begins to walk away, "Maybe some other time, if you're lucky."

Brand just nods his head, a mix of shame and amusement playing across his face.

Longes
2013-07-01, 01:53 PM
"Oh, never hurts to try. Not my best day though. I'll meet you tomorrow, I hope."
Malcolm smiles and moves home.

Bennosuke
2013-07-02, 07:39 AM
Scene III

It's almost a week before you hear anything from Melissa, enough so that you can almost begin to believe that she was just playing with you. Brand has been around more regularly and the two of you have been able to go out for drinks twice this week.

You return home on a Friday evening to find an envelope on the door mat inside your apartment. Inside is a CD with "Instructions included" written in sharpy on it. Feel free to describe anything important that Malcolm has tried to accomplish this week in preparation for his mission, and what you plan to do now that you have the CD.

Longes
2013-07-02, 11:20 PM
Malcolm has a lot of things to do:

Befriend a campus guard
Steal one of the keys to the lab
Make and remember the map of the lab and it's surroundings
Make a copy of the CD and try to analyze it. Make a backup of the PC, in case the virus goes nuts.
Work

Bennosuke
2013-07-03, 07:48 AM
Please roll presence+ socialize 5d10 to make friends with a security guard. You only get one attempt at this. If you succeed you may then roll larceny+ dexterity 3d10 to try and steal a security key.

Longes
2013-07-03, 09:38 AM
Friendship roll
[roll0]

Longes
2013-07-03, 09:39 AM
Phew. That was close.
Larceny roll:
[roll0]
EDIT: Bingo!

Bennosuke
2013-07-03, 09:53 AM
After classes is the morning you manage to snare one of the campus security officers, Officer Shultz. He is a tall man, with weathered dark skin and a graying mustache. You act like you need help getting into your office by locking the door and pretending like you don't have the key. You engage him in a friendly conversation about basketball and follow him back to the security office. After a friendly conversation about family, he has to run to go take care of a fire alarm in another building, leaving you in his office with enough time to find a spare key to Dr. Gregard's office.

You quickly leave the security office, hoping you didn't miss any security cameras.

You next make a couple of laps around the Engineering building, familiarizing yourself with the indoors.

Finally you come back to your office where the DxM CD is waiting at your desk. Please roll intellegence+ computer 5d10 with a need of 3 successes. 0 successes will lead to a negative outcome, as you are trying to download a computer virus onto your computer without activating it.

Longes
2013-07-03, 10:27 AM
Oh, this is going to be trouble...
[roll0]

Longes
2013-07-03, 10:31 AM
10-again roll:
[roll0]
~rumble-rumble-duplicate-post-rumble-rumble~

Longes
2013-07-03, 10:32 AM
Woohoo! Malcolm is da 133t haxor!
10-again-again roll:
[roll0]

A good plan can have only two interesting outcomes - it either goes off perfectly, or it crashes and burns in the most spectacular fashion.

Longes
2013-07-05, 06:21 AM
Charsheet copy, so we don't loose it: http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/26516?message=true

Bennosuke
2013-07-05, 01:26 PM
OOC: I'm back, sorry to be out so long

With surprisingly minimal effort, Malcolm is able to transfer the program onto his personal computer. You store it in an encrypted file for examination later. Looking back, you are quiet impressed by everything that you've been able to accomplish today, and it's been relatively fun, like a game.

You wait until evening to begin your "mission". Looking around your room you start deciding what you will bring with you, how you will dress, and how you will go about accomplishing your task.

Longes
2013-07-06, 02:12 PM
Malcolm picks dark gray clothes to blend into shadows. Malcolm also wears gloves, to not leave the fingerprints. He takes the disk, a flashlight and his lock-picks.
The plan seems relatively simple: go in, avoid the guards, use the PC, go out.

Bennosuke
2013-07-08, 08:15 PM
Your heart is racing as you set off. In a way this is no different than the hide and seek you've played with John, but now the stakes are so much higher. You casually make your way through campus towards the Engineering building. While there is no rule against walking around campus this late, your attire and rather questionable gear would raise suspicion, please roll dexterity + stealth (3d10) to avoid detection. This may be worth a Willpower.

Longes
2013-07-08, 09:42 PM
Spending willpower
[roll0]

Longes
2013-07-08, 09:43 PM
10-again:
[roll0]

Bennosuke
2013-07-09, 09:32 AM
The trek to the Engineering building is relatively uneventful. You mostly stick to the shadows. You have done this a hundred times, and know several routes to take. Crossing between the Performing Arts Center and the Music Studio, you overhear two campus safety officers trying to one up each other with sex stories, "I'm telling you, five times in one night. She was crazy!".

You backtrack and go around the Music Studio from the other direction, sticking to an unlit side path as you come out the other side of the two officers, "Each one was the size of a cantaloupe!"

As you near the science building you a young couple intertwined on a bench. You go around behind them, but as you pass you realize one of them is Thomas, the young student who you have both been mentoring and hoping would simply drop dead, preferably after being exposed as a cheater. The girl is beautiful too, long blond hair and eyes that you think are green, though it's too dark to tell.

If you want Malcolm can interact with them in some way (listen, prank them) or just move on your merry way.

Longes
2013-07-09, 11:23 AM
So, Thomas, we meet again! You made a fool on that science expo, you've called my research hogwash, but now it's time to avenge my pride! From hell's heart I stab at thee! Mwhahahahahah!!!
Malcolm hides and listens for a girl to say something. Then he makes his best impression of her voice. "Help! Help! Rapist!" Immediately after that he moves to a different position and watches.

[roll0]
I spend 1 Willpower on this, and probably regain 1WP from Vice? The roll is Manipulation (3) + Subterfuge (2)?

Bennosuke
2013-07-10, 07:56 AM
I would say manipulation plus subterfuge is fine, but even with a willpower that's 8d10 not 15.

Longes
2013-07-10, 08:31 AM
I would say manipulation plus subterfuge is fine, but even with a willpower that's 8d10 not 15.

It's a dice pool. I roll 15d10, and we pick first X dice. This way I don't have to roll 10-agains in a separate post, and if you think that Attribute+Skill should be different, or if there is some sort of modifier in play - no need for reroll.

Bennosuke
2013-07-12, 06:12 AM
Immediately after you call out, both Thomas and the girl he is with jump up and begin looking for whomever 'called rape'. They aren't given much time, as despite the fact that campus seems pretty vacant, a Campus Security Officer comes running.

He holds Thomas at gunpoint, until he and the girl convince him that it was some kind of prank, and they don't know who made the plea for help. After much coaxing, the officer leaves, and Thomas and the girl part ways, both rather frustrated and confused.

Longes
2013-07-12, 06:17 AM
My pranks suck. Boooooring. Well, better get on with the mission!
Malcolm sighs and continues sneaking to the laboratory.

Bennosuke
2013-07-12, 12:58 PM
Malcolm makes his way to the Engineering Building, "Swain Hall". Your ID badge will swipe you in, and you have the key to the doctor's lab. Everything should be a piece of cake so long as no one catches you.

Please make a perception check wits + composure (plus one because this should be easy to spot) 5d10.

Longes
2013-07-12, 01:56 PM
5d10 roll:
[roll0]
Two successes :smallsmile:

Bennosuke
2013-07-15, 07:59 AM
As you come upon the building, you realize there is a camera in front of the enterance, and you remember there is another one down the hallway!

Longes
2013-07-15, 10:43 PM
Malcolm stays out of cameras sight and keeps moving.

Bennosuke
2013-07-16, 10:38 AM
Staying out of sight of the camera will be a hard wits+dexterity roll requiring three successes, though it is considered a continuous action. The other option is to disguise your face and just try and be quick about things, or destroy the camera somehow... or any other solution you can think of.

Longes
2013-07-16, 11:18 AM
Malcolm ties a handkerchief around the lower part of his face and sneaks out of the vision field
"Continuous action" meaning what?
4 dice
[roll0]

Bennosuke
2013-07-17, 08:43 AM
Excuse me, I mean extended action, which means you roll until you accumulate the neccisary number of successes or you fail. It is supposed to simulate a process that would take continuous effort, such as sneaking through an entire building filled with security cameras, or painting a masterful painting.

So you get 2 successes for your first round of rolling, please roll again.

IC: Malcolm ties the handkerchief around his face, thank god he brought it, and enters the building. He moves quickly, hustling when a camera turns away, and peeking around corners before moving down the next hall. You can feel your heart racing in your chest, and your breath is heavy, but so far so good.

Longes
2013-07-17, 10:22 AM
I dunno, handkerchiefs seem like a thing you always have with you, no?

4 dice
[roll0]

Bennosuke
2013-07-22, 01:12 PM
Sorry for the long away. Life has just been very busy. Honestly, handkerchiefs are not very commonly toted in America, except during formal occasions. Regardless, I'm fine with Malcolm having brought one.

IC: You make your way up to the second floor, timing the cameras with ease. Fortunately, this is something you have practiced on several of your many adventures with John. The lights are off in the building, but having scoped things out earlier, you know exactly where the Doctor's office is. At several points inside the building it sounds like someone else is in the hallway. You've noticed this about laboratory buildings, they always seem alive, even when they are empty. Some machine activates on another floor, or a fan activates all the way down the hall, almost as if the building is haunted.

The door to the lab is some sort of metal, painted over with a rather unappealing bone white enamel. The small window port shows only a small light coming from inside the lab. Using the key you pilfered, you let yourself in. Even though the lights are off, you can see that the room is massive, housing a large set of some sort of tubing similar to those seen in particle accelerators. Looking up you realize that the lab actually takes two floors and that there is a cat walk around the perimeter of the second floor. The machine hums and clicks rather loudly, even though it is not actively running. Over in the near corner is a desk with a computer, that appears to be hooked up to the machine. It's too dark to see if there are any cameras without really trying.

Longes
2013-07-23, 05:05 AM
Malcolm really tries to see the cameras