PDA

View Full Version : Building a half-phoenix

hushblade
2013-06-09, 07:59 AM
Good morning Playgroung. Let's say I want to build a humanoid that I fluffed as a half-phoenix half(probably human or elf) What would the best way of going about that be? My first thoughts wereRaptoran sorcerer/swordsage/jpm. Maybe a Wu Jen with fire mastery would do it better? The only problem is the lack of healing/resurection. Can anyone throw out a few idea or do it better?

And yes, I know focusing on fire is very sub-optimal.(isn't there a feat that let's you bypass fire immunity with spells?)

Waker
2013-06-09, 08:05 AM
The only problem is the lack of healing/resurection. Can anyone throw out a few idea or do it better?
Domain Access ACF or Arcane Disciple feat to grab Healing Domain. Not sure of any domains that grant resurrection though. Divine Companion ACF can also grant a bit of self-healing. Not to mention with JPM you can grab Devoted Spirit maneuvers.

And yes, I know focusing on fire is very sub-optimal.(isn't there a feat that let's you bypass fire immunity with spells?)

Searing Spell metamagic feat from Sandstorm.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-09, 08:09 AM
What level?

EDIT: And do you want this as a race or as your entire build?

hushblade
2013-06-09, 08:51 AM
That's is the entire concept of the build, and let's say I want it to be recognizably flavorful as a phoenix themed bird-person from level 5 onward.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-09, 08:58 AM
Let's see.

Start with an Elf or Human (depending upon what you want the base to be).

Now apply Divine Minion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) (Isis) for +1 LA.

Now get Mantle of the Fiery Spirit (Sandstorm) cast on you to gain the fire subtype.

This gives you a bird form that you can shift to as a free action, it's a hawk but you can refluff that, and immunity to fire in all forms.

Now add in Half-Celestial. That gives you wings and a ton of thematically appropriate SLA's and other abilities (including 1/day Resurrection at 19+ HD).

Class wise, Cleric, Wu Jen, Psion, or Sorcerer could all work pretty well.

thethird
2013-06-09, 09:09 AM
I'm pretty sure there is a template for that...

I was misremembering, there are phoeras phoenix descendant creatures in monster manual 3 though, or phaethons from races of ansalon (dragonlance book, thus 3rd party), the giant also brewed the Fenixborn (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10546572#post10546572).

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-09, 09:12 AM
I'm pretty sure there is a template for that...

Don't think that there is a half-phoenix one, or a half-magical beast template either.

DMVerdandi
2013-06-09, 10:29 AM
Impossible.
Phoenix is an asexual creature that produces it's own egg during it's death.

But let me stop...
Barring Homebrew, I would go for a Lesser Fire Genasi.
As far as class goes, I would either Choose Spirit Shaman or Cleric. Preferably a Cleric.

I would use the Cloistered Cleric Variant, and the Spontaneous Domain Casting ACF.
Pick the fire domain so that you can cast fire spells at any time. You are still able to fill up your domain slots with healing spells, so that works out fine. Remember this, don't heal in battle unless someone is dying. Heal after, fight during.
With the fire domain, you should be able to blast pretty well.

As far as feats go, I would choose Academic Priest, so that you can put that +2 Int to use. Also nets you hella skillz.

If you were to choose spirit shaman, you can simply prepare the fire spells of choice, other useful. I would still pick up academic priest for this one. Spirit shaman basically requires two stats to get the most out of casting. Academic priest gives it Int for casting and bonus spells.
Remember, a spirit shaman prepares the spells it casts spontaneously, so if you have a favorite spell, prepare it, but you can be flexible, so know your list.
Have maybe two go to blasty spells, and have the rest be utility. Summoning is also a good choice.

Larkas
2013-06-09, 10:45 AM
Let's see.

Start with an Elf or Human (depending upon what you want the base to be).

Now apply Divine Minion (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20050209a) (Isis) for +1 LA.

Now get Mantle of the Fiery Spirit (Sandstorm) cast on you to gain the fire subtype.

This gives you a bird form that you can shift to as a free action, it's a hawk but you can refluff that, and immunity to fire in all forms.

Now add in Half-Celestial. That gives you wings and a ton of thematically appropriate SLA's and other abilities (including 1/day Resurrection at 19+ HD).

Class wise, Cleric, Wu Jen, Psion, or Sorcerer could all work pretty well.

What about those winged elves from... Damn, forgot the book... It was something from Forgotten Realms, IIRC.

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-09, 10:49 AM
What about those winged elves from... Damn, forgot the book... It was something from Forgotten Realms, IIRC.

Doesn't give you all of those thematically appropriate abilities like half-celestial does.

Larkas
2013-06-09, 10:53 AM
Doesn't give you all of those thematically appropriate abilities like half-celestial does.

Hmmm, indeed... Must have a better LA though, no? Scratch that, the difference is only one LA.

Mr.Bookworm
2013-06-09, 10:55 AM
The Phoelarchs are from MM3 and are literally phoenix-people. The HD and LA kind of suck, though.

Deadline
2013-06-09, 10:56 AM
While it's not all that great, there is an existing race for this. The Phoelarch, from Monster Manual 3. Seven Racial Hit dice with +5 LA on top, but it's definitely phoenix-y.

The other option is to go with Sorcerer 6/Your Choice of Initiator 1/Jade Phoenix Mage from Tome of Battle. That will make you a decent melee and caster character with Phoenix flavor (including the ability to immolate yourself to ash and rise unharmed).

Edit - Swordsaged! Also, you could use the Raptoran as a base race if you want wings. I believe the winged elves (Avariel) were already mentioned.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-09, 12:30 PM
Lix Lorn did a "lesser phoenix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13761574#post13761574)," but you could refluff as a half phoenix.

Gildedragon
2013-06-09, 02:56 PM
Half celestial has a hard to swallow LA; though getting Res as an SLA is cute. The celestial creature template is less punitive; if less powerful.
My personal choice would be a (lesser) celadrin with the divine minion template on. Alternatively a Raptoran, or Fire Elf, or Lesser Aasimar.

If one could convince the DM to allow JPMto advance divine casting it would be sweet; otherwise there are a few ways to get [healing] spells in.

Otherwise sorcerer might be the way to go; and 1 level in crusader.

Fable Wright
2013-06-09, 03:39 PM
If you can, I'd recommend trying to build a Kineticist gish instead. Fiery Discorporation is just too fitting for the concept to pass up. Also, access to Control Body from an optimization standpoint is very nice. Also, things like Body Adjustment fit well, too.

Rubik
2013-06-09, 09:46 PM
With LA buyoff, I'd suggest a divine minion (Isis) raptoran kineticist/ToB class/psionic adaptation of jade phoenix mage (which is easy to port over). Use your power and maneuver choices to give yourself "racial abilities" that improve as you level.

Make sure you use Expanded Knowledge to grab a few powers of interest, such as Psionic Revivify and a magic mantle'd spell-to-power erudite's version of Heal and (later) Mass Heal. There are hoops to jump through for the erudite (Extra Spell feat), but then it's a psionic power and thus, all yours.

Ace Nex
2013-06-10, 02:58 AM
You may want to check out from MMIII Phoelarch. It's like a hybrid phoenix human... that may work flavor-wise but in actual effectiveness it's not that great. The LA of +5 hurts and you have 7 racial HD sooo it's probablynot your first choice. Still, you may want to check it out.

ArcturusV
2013-06-10, 03:53 AM
Hmm. I was thinking a Druid Chassis myself. That way Reincarnation is on your spell list. If you went into a Druid/Wizard Theurge you could end up having a Contingency Reincarnate on you at all times. Or you could use the Power of Money to get that going as well.

But the Druid just makes good sense to me. You automatically get various bird forms (And Fire Elemental Forms). The druid spell list has quite a lot of Fire based spells on it that can fit, healing, reincarnation. It's not a perfect fit. But a close enough starting point for me to consider.

Jeff the Green
2013-06-10, 05:22 AM
For classes I like wu jen/swordsage/jade phoenix mage. Mostly because once you hit level 19 you can cast transcend mortality followed by JPM's Emerald Immolation. Basically, for 17 rounds you're invincible, and then you explode, only to be reborn from the ashes.

Waker
2013-06-10, 07:05 AM
For classes I like wu jen/swordsage/jade phoenix mage. Mostly because once you hit level 19 you can cast transcend mortality followed by JPM's Emerald Immolation. Basically, for 17 rounds you're invincible, and then you explode, only to be reborn from the ashes.

I've always liked the idea of Body Outside Body being used in conjunction with Emerald Immolation. Just gotta convince the DM that each clone gets 1/week uses.