PDA

View Full Version : [PF]Tattooed Sorcerer

PlusSixPelican
2013-06-09, 08:09 AM
What are people's thoughts on Tattooed Sorcerer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/sorcerer/archetypes/paizo---sorcerer-archetypes/tattooed-sorcerer)? I'm a bit unsure of if it's better/worse/more versatile than normal Sorc'ing. It does sound interesting, though. The other Sorcerer archetypes, barring Crossblooded (and Wildblooded, although I'm unsure if that's an archetype), seem rather uninteresting.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-06-09, 08:44 AM
It looks pretty awesome.
- You give up eschew materials (as a free feat, just take it again) in return for basically free spell focus and a SLA.
- You give up a bonus feat to be able to make 3 free scrolls a day for yourself or your friends. Of any level, as a standard action.
- The 9th level ability is poorly worded. I think what it's saying is to pick a spell in the same school as your magic tatoo, and get that as a spell like ability at +2 caster level. You give up your 9th level power for this.

It's nice. Maybe a small upgrade, even.

Eldonauran
2013-06-09, 10:02 AM
I'm currently playing a Tattooed Sorcerer. The tattoo familiar has saved my party at least twice since we've started playing. It's move action to turn from tattoo to physical, you cast a touch spell and then it waddles off to deliver a quick heal to a downed party member or a nice enlarge person.

If you are planning on taking Inscribe Magic Tattoo, I highly recommend the Tattooed Sorcerer, doubly so if using the Inkantations supplement. There are so many good things you can do with tattoos.

I am not progressing fully through Tattooed Sorcerer, as my character has taken a few levels of Druid to qualify for Mystic Theurge. Tattooed Sorcerer is a great way to get the most out of less useful bloodlines and you get a familiar that tends to stick around for a long time.

Soras Teva Gee
2013-06-09, 02:24 PM
I'm a big fan of the archetype though it clearly won't mesh well with all bloodlines.

If your focusing on something CL sensitive it can be a nice little boost at low levels. Not exactly a high-optimized approach but my fave is a Tattooed Draconic Sorc with a blasting focus. Since CL will mean more dice which dovetails nicely with your arcana and takes a bit of sting out of low levels before you have a lot of metamagic to play with. And you only give up iffy (at best) claws and an effectively 1/day breath weapon.

Plus all the fun of a familiar.

- The 9th level ability is poorly worded. I think what it's saying, pick a spell in the same school as your magic tatoo, and get that as a spell like ability at +2 caster level. You give up your 9th level power for this.

Yeah I've been reading it as "Pick a spell enhanced by Varsisian Tatoo, you may cast that spell as an SLA 1/day at CL +2, does not stack with Varisian Tatoo"

So a school of magic or I guess here your bloodline spells too.