PDA

View Full Version : Achieving Mid-Attack Action Battlefield Movement?

Caligstro Smith
2013-06-09, 11:11 AM
So, inspired by this (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a) thread, particularly by the idea that you can use the Psychic Warrior level 1 power Call Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/callWeaponry.htm) to call a Monk's Unarmed Strike to effectively "summon" some random monk from somewhere or other in space and time, I had the idea that it could be possible (with still more stinky cheese, but still possible) in fact summon yourself, and even potentially, in the middle of other actions during which you'd not normally see such effects occurring.

Unfortunately, I'm not quite well versed enough to know exactly how such a thing would work, but have a general idea, and I was wondering if anyone could help fill in the blanks to get it working?

The premise:

The core idea is to be able to manifest Call Weapon an arbitrarily large number of times instantaneously, and then cancel them again instantaneously.

You want to cause this to occur continuously upon some trigger, until the calling randomly selects to "Call" YOU, perhaps specifically designated from even temporally "other you's" as "the being which most recently, with respect to the source of the manifesting effect, activated this item/effect/whatever."

The vague idea I had how to do this involved somehow combining psionics manifesting and and a carefully event-triggered permanent/continuous runecasting rune? Am I just crazy, or is this a potentially useful track to try following?

Though I suspect there might be other ways to do it as well? It would probably be expensive and require some yet other means of breaking action economy to get the continuous manifestation and dismissal of the effect though?

Anyway the way it'd be mid-attack action and movement-causing would be by doing something like having the rune on a thrown weapon that's multi-triggered, one of the triggers being, "when this is thrown as an attack and strikes an enemy."

With something like that you could take something like JaronK's Build 2: The Bulldozer from this thread (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1532.0;wap2) and give it such a weapon (returning? or a set of them?) and have it be able to target the same single target more than once in it's full attack routine by knocking it back, using the next attack in the attack routine to throw the weapon and hit the same target, and thus "teleport" (really be "summoned/called") adjacent to the target again, but in the middle of your full attack, where you can then knock it back again, and then throw again, etc until your attack routine is done. If you somehow squeezed a monk level into the build that is.

Variations of such a knockback build that squeezed in a Master Thrower level and had Blood Wind and applied the rune to a "thrown" unarmed strike simultaneously w/ the knockback effect could use every attack in the attack routine to knockback and the teleport to the target immediately.

A final interesting note: Because the theoretical item would be refraining from dismissing the effect when you're called, but you could choose to dismiss the effect freely, you also have the ability to freely teleport back to any one of the locations you were "called to" before the durations of the effect start to wear off, at which point you'll automatically get dragged back to the original location.