PDA

View Full Version : Tomb-tainted soul+Dread Necromancer? Full hp?

Ointhedwarf
2013-06-09, 04:05 PM
Technically it's not wrong I think but energy conservation-wise it's pretty lame.. What do you think? Would you I allow it? If not would you allow him to heal his undead this way?

Flickerdart
2013-06-09, 04:10 PM
Why do you think it's lame? Virtually unlimited out of combat healing is trivial anyway.

Ointhedwarf
2013-06-09, 04:26 PM
Well this is quite free though.. The rest of the party carry healing belt and the necromancer goes around taking damage intentionally :P

Flickerdart
2013-06-09, 04:30 PM
It comes at the cost of a feat, which is huge. Most characters only ever get seven of those.

Mato
2013-06-09, 04:33 PM
It's not free, it cost a feat.

Edit - ninja'ed

Zaq
2013-06-09, 04:50 PM
It comes at the cost of a feat, which is huge. Most characters only ever get seven of those.

In practicality, most characters aren't level 20, so they get far, far fewer of them, thereby making it an even BIGGER cost.

Feats are one of the most precious resources your character has. Ensuring that you start each combat at full HP is about in line with what I'd want to get out of a feat.

Vaz
2013-06-09, 05:41 PM
You're a Necromancer. It's not just you, it's your 80HD worth of necro-pokemon you keep with you fully healed.

Flickerdart
2013-06-09, 05:56 PM
You're a Necromancer. It's not just you, it's your 80HD worth of necro-pokemon you keep with you fully healed.
That is, if the party has enough time to stop between encounters while you poke your pokemon back to health one HP at a time.

ShneekeyTheLost
2013-06-09, 06:05 PM
To be honest, this is small potatoes compared to many of the optimization tricks, more along the lines of 'standard policy'.

You want fun? Try Southern Magician so you can enable Divine Metamagic. It's the gift that keeps on giving!

Raendyn
2013-06-09, 06:06 PM

He can do that already, the question is about the feat and himself being full hp. Which is minor imo, its like 1point till lvl 4 and 4 at lvl 12? wtf beyond this lvl the hitpoints are like 100+ not to mention the "undead army", If I was his teammate I wouldnt wait for all those slo heals, if I was his dm I'd teach him intenional soaking of dmg with quick combats. and thats only if he is getting everyone annoyed as I think that you implied.

Vaz
2013-06-09, 06:18 PM
@Flickerdart; you have 14400 rounds/day. Assume 2/3rd of that is awake, that's 9600 rounds. You should have time+change to heal them.

@Raendyn; Exactly my point.

He can do it all already with his minions, so if they're there, why use TTS?

A DN cannot get minions until 8th level. If you start before that, you're a gish, where you touch attack away. Charnel Touch can help you then.

However, at 2nd level (but 3rd is more effective) you can become a Necropolitan, replacing the benefits of it. There is no reason whatsoever to take TTS.

For the sake of a few extra wands for the Cleric, there's no reason to get the feat. IIRC, it's not a prerequisite for anything (or if it is, nothing spectacular).

Flickerdart
2013-06-09, 06:25 PM
@Flickerdart; you have 14400 rounds/day. Assume 2/3rd of that is awake, that's 9600 rounds. You should have time+change to heal them.
Sure, if you've got nothing else to do all day. But when your pokemon are injured, that probably means they just fought something, which means you're standing in a place where things you have to fight live. That tends to occupy free time a little bit.