PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Arcane NPC Class?

HylianKnight
2013-06-09, 05:00 PM
So I was reading Ultimate Campaign and was interested with playing around with the young characters rule. Specifically the idea of starting out as a juvenile Sorcerer seems cool and obviously pops up a ton in popular fiction. However Pathfinder has you choose a NPC class, but there are none for arcane casters! You have Adepts for your divine casters, but nothing for amateur/novice Bards/Sorcerers/Wizards.

Does anyone know of any PF fix or 3.5 import to use? It seems bizarre that there is none for Arcane casters in the first place given that in a world of magic you would think novice spell casters would be a thing.

Coidzor
2013-06-09, 05:06 PM
Magewright, IIRC, is 3.5 content from Eberron is an NPC, intelligence-based arcane caster. I think they're in the Eberron Campaign Setting book along with Urban Adepts.

I can't remember if the Urban Adept switches anything up other than its spell list, but there's that.

So I can't think of any Cha-based NPC casting classes from Dragon Magazine offhand, but there might be some there. Pretty sure there's none in content that's both 3.X and non-Dragon Magazine.

Other than that... I believe some of the people working on E6 projects around here have had NPC classes they've made. The Gleaner (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/gk7uKJeF296jRcx1NJw.html) by Keith Baker exists for would-be Druids as an alternative to the adept, while I'm at it...

The quick and dirty thing to do would probably be to change the Adept's familiar into a choice between various things such as an animal companion or bonded item and just make the Adept's casting stat and the question of arcane vs. divine dependent upon the highest mental stat a character possesses or their choice of mental stat. Less quick, but still dirty would be to switch up the adept's spell list a bit by whether they were arcane or divine; or even based upon their casting stat.

Though, really, unless it's some kind of sanctioned play where you can't deviate from RAW in the slightest... Just conveniently ignore the section that forbids PC classes. :smallwink:

Kudaku
2013-06-09, 05:36 PM
I believe the main reason why there isn't a caster class available for youths is the time frame involved - wizards and clerics are described as taking years of training and study, while the sorcerer normally discover their powers at puberty.

Since the young characters rules cover roughly 9 years of age and up, they just don't have the time available to finish their studies.

That having been said, we live in an extraordinary world. The wikipedia article on child prodigies (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_child_prodigies) is an incredibly interesting read, and we don't have wizards, dragons, or the assorted other marvels of the typical high fantasy world. If you want to play a young wizard, I'd ask your GM and link him that article if he's skeptical. Considering the typical wizard intelligence, it even makes sense that you're a cut above.

HylianKnight
2013-06-10, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the comprehensive list. I guess I just still find it weird on a DM level. I can stock the Cleric temple with a bunch of normal Adepts, but everyone at the Wizard school has to be a Level 1 Wizard or bust. Usually my campaigns tend to work as, if you have levels in a PC class, you're already set apart from the vast majority of people.

Kudaku
2013-06-10, 04:38 PM
I realize this is not exactly what you're asking for, but it probably wouldn't be too hard to homebrew an NPC arcane caster. I'd take some features from the witch and the wizard, mash it together with the adept, base casting on intelligence and call it a day. Really the only thing that'd take real time would be to sort out the spell list.