PDA

View Full Version : Bonus spell by level clarificiation

Pembinasa
2013-06-10, 09:57 AM
There's something about the ability score bonus spell list that's been bothering me for some time. I understand that stat-boosting magical items generally mean more bonus spells unless specifically stated otherwise, but what about level progression?

Which is to say, is it one bonus spell slot (of the appropriate spell rank) every time you increase in character level, or just a single bonus spell slot that you can achieve by being able to cast at that rank?

I've looked through the PHB and various supplements, online discussions and so on, but this one really never was clear for me- and I don't want to push around my newbie DM by just going for the most favorable option. Anyone able to help on this?

Arc_knight25
2013-06-10, 10:09 AM
Let say your a lvl 1 Wizard with 18 int.

You can only cast lvl 1 spells. And due to your int bonus you get a bonus lvl 1 spell.

Lets say you make it to lvl 3. You can now cast lvl 2 spells. Due to your in bonus you can cast 1 bonus lvl 2 spell.

Lets say your still lvl 3 and find a +2 int boosting item that brings you to 20 int. You can now cast an additional (that is 2) 1st lvl spells.

Pretty much you get a bonus spell to the lvl of spell equal to your Casting modifier(in the case of the wizard its Int). You start getting additional Bonus Spell to your lower level spells when your Modifier hits 5(i.e Int 20= Modifier of 5)

Hope that sets things alittle straighter?

Pembinasa
2013-06-10, 10:30 AM
Yes, thank you, that's EXACTLY what I wanted to know. Bonus spells are one apiece, not one extra every level.

Much obliged!