PDA

View Full Version : Disarming; how to cut off someone's fists?

Vaz
2013-06-10, 11:03 AM
Disarm is frequently considered underpowered as a PC option compared to tripping and grappling due to a) lack of support and b) lack of power concerning non-humanoid/weapon using opponents. Most just use their unarmed strikes/natural weapon or spells past ECL10

I know there's no such thing as called shots, but is there anything that can disable such attacks, like Sundering enemy jaws/claws/fists etc?

hushblade
2013-06-10, 11:43 AM
As far as I know, there is no mechanism for removing a limb, which makes me a bit confused as to a troll's ability to reattach a severed limb if nobody can cut it off to begin with.

Arbane
2013-06-10, 11:57 AM
As far as I know, there is no mechanism for removing a limb, which makes me a bit confused as to a troll's ability to reattach a severed limb if nobody can cut it off to begin with.

I know AD&D had the Sword of Sharpness, which could indeed de-limb people on a 20. More than likely this is Yet Another Legacy Rule.

Curmudgeon
2013-06-10, 12:46 PM
You can't do that. Unarmed strikes are made not just with fists, but all striking surfaces of the body.
Unarmed Attacks

Striking for damage with punches, kicks, and head butts is much like attacking with a melee weapon, except for the following: If you've got the Vorpal weapon property you maybe can deal with head butts. :smallamused:

Mr. Zolrane
2013-06-10, 01:02 PM
If you've got the Vorpal weapon property you maybe can deal with head butts. :smallamused:

Finally, a counter to all those gamebreakingly OP headbutt builds. :smalltongue:

Slipperychicken
2013-06-10, 01:13 PM
Unarmed Strikes can be made with any body part. No matter how many limbs you sever, a character may always perform an Unarmed Strike so long as he possesses a body.

3.5 has few rules for severing limbs, because it tries to be a more forgiving system than its predecessors.

The Viscount
2013-06-10, 03:21 PM
The only rules for sundering body parts I've seen are for a few tentacled monsters.

Amnestic
2013-06-10, 03:29 PM
The only rules for sundering body parts I've seen are for a few tentacled monsters.

Hydras too.