PDA

View Full Version : possibly stupid question

Immabozo
2013-06-10, 02:49 PM
do racial bonuses satisfy PrC entry skill requirements?

Humble Master
2013-06-10, 02:50 PM
I don't think so. Most PrC's say x number of ranks in the skills, not just the total bonus.

gurgleflep
2013-06-10, 02:51 PM
do racial bonuses satisfy PrC entry skill requirements?

I don't see why they wouldn't, if they fill requirements they should.
Maybe a case-by-case basis? :smallconfused:

Immabozo
2013-06-10, 02:57 PM
I don't think so. Most PrC's say x number of ranks in the skills, not just the total bonus.

I was afraid of that.

While I agree, possible DM discretion may be advised, That wording is what I thought killed it from a RAW point of view. Thanks

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-10, 03:22 PM
Yeah, you need the ranks. And getting around that requirement early is a pain. Basically, get extra temporary HD from something (such as a Bard) and then use Psychic Reformation to up your skill ranks for the skill in question before losing the HD (you keep the higher skill ranks).

It rates about a 7 on my scale'o'cheese.

Immabozo
2013-06-10, 03:57 PM
Yeah, you need the ranks. And getting around that requirement early is a pain. Basically, get extra temporary HD from something (such as a Bard) and then use Psychic Reformation to up your skill ranks for the skill in question before losing the HD (you keep the higher skill ranks).

It rates about a 7 on my scale'o'cheese.

Well, a 7th or 8th level druid could turn into a dusk giant and get the skills of a level 24 or 5 (or whatever it is exactly) HD dusk Giant!

that is pretty cheesey.

Rating a 7 on Tippy's cheese scale is impressive on a scale from 1 to 10. On a scale of 1 to 5... watch out! On a scale of 1 to 100, you're probably playing Truenamer and getting consolation points to make you feel better

EDIT Druid/ MoMF

Devils_Advocate
2013-06-11, 06:42 PM
Take a look at test-based prerequisites (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/testBasedPrerequisites.htm) from Unearthed Arcana for an alternative approach to prestige class requirements. Even a Dungeon Master unwilling to adopt it wholesale might be interested in altering things along those lines.

Immabozo
2013-06-11, 07:40 PM
Take a look at test-based prerequisites (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/campaigns/testBasedPrerequisites.htm) from Unearthed Arcana for an alternative approach to prestige class requirements. Even a Dungeon Master unwilling to adopt it wholesale might be interested in altering things along those lines.

Sweet, thanks

Tragak
2013-06-12, 08:28 AM
I don't see why not: if learning certain techniques require being good at doing certain things in particular, and certain species are better at doing those things, wouldn't they be better at learning the techniques that use them?

Immabozo
2013-06-12, 11:44 AM
I don't see why not: if learning certain techniques require being good at doing certain things in particular, and certain species are better at doing those things, wouldn't they be better at learning the techniques that use them?

I'd think so, but RAW requires skill ranks, so I guess my DM might have to be asked

Urpriest
2013-06-12, 02:45 PM

They don't require being good at it, they require knowledge. A fish doesn't know how to do the backstroke. That's why they're generally based on ranks.

Chronos
2013-06-12, 03:54 PM
Looking at it from a gaming perspective rather than a storytelling perspective, the reason is to prevent entry into the class before some specific character level. You can get the total bonus to a skill really high at a really low level, but it's almost impossible to get your skill ranks higher than 3 plus your level.

Immabozo
2013-06-12, 04:01 PM
They don't require being good at it, they require knowledge. A fish doesn't know how to do the backstroke. That's why they're generally based on ranks.

Looking at it from a gaming perspective rather than a storytelling perspective, the reason is to prevent entry into the class before some specific character level. You can get the total bonus to a skill really high at a really low level, but it's almost impossible to get your skill ranks higher than 3 plus your level.

Thats true, early entry is hard. You both make point so good, you could stab someone with them.