PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a new sport/hobby please

Liffguard
2013-06-10, 03:21 PM
-------------------------------------------

AttilaTheGeek
2013-06-10, 03:28 PM
What about bowling? I'm just trawling wikipedia's list of sports (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports) for things that match the description. There's also martial arts and racket sports for broader categories that you might be interested in.

valadil
2013-06-10, 03:36 PM
Weightlifting. It's not as dull as the "pick things up put them down" commercials. Olympic lifting is pretty complex and can take years to get the technique down. There is a lot of equipment required, but that's what a gym membership is for.

Taet
2013-06-10, 03:43 PM
Running with skill? That's parkour.

Mx.Silver
2013-06-10, 04:37 PM
I believe Squash can be practised solo and is can also get pretty physically active. Fairly light on the kit, as are most racket sports, although obviously you will need access to a court to actually play it.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-10, 04:40 PM
Running with skill? That's parkour.

Seconded.

For bonus points: if you get good, it looks really cool.

JustPlayItLoud
2013-06-10, 07:10 PM
It's not exceptionally physical, but basic target shooting is a lot of run and can be (relatively) inexpensive. With many states allowing target shooting on open public land you can combine it with hiking, etc. I prefer actual firearms, but air rifles and such are a lot of fun and can be sophisticated enough to take down large game, and they can be had fairly cheaply as well. Plus air rifles can be practiced in your own backyard if you observe proper safety procedures.

This, of course, is assuming you live in the United States. If you leave in another country then there can be a whole slew of additional laws, regulations, etc. to consider.

Palanan
2013-06-10, 07:54 PM
Well, I could suggest several things, each of which meets some of your criteria:

I used to love fencing, both in college and grad school. If you can join a college club or a local group, you should be able to use their weapons and practice space, so all you'd have to buy is the glove and outfit. (This is assuming things haven't changed much in the last few years.) You'll need to spend time with people for the actual fencing, but there are also some simple techniques and exercises you can do on your own--simple in concept and setup, but quite challenging in practice--which will help you refine your reflexes and your technique.

Also, climbing--another lost love of mine, and although it would probably require a membership, there's not much in the way of gear if you're with a club. Definitely involves increasing your fitness along a steep curve, and the sport encompasses a wide spectrum of styles, techniques and especially skill levels. This is something else you can do on your own, in very limited circumstances, by bouldering (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouldering) a foot or two off the ground to improve your strength, reach, coordination and general technique.

And mountain biking: requires the bike, yes, but all you need is a basic, affordable model, and you're good to go. (Also, the helmet. You do need the helmet.) Less to do with intricate skill, and more with a slow but steady increase of power--and pretty much by definition you can do it on your own. If you're not used to riding, you will hurt when you first start out, but you can either power through this or ease on by, and after that it's great.

--And, for something else entirely, which fits all of your criteria: birding.

Yes, birding. It gets you outside--often walking a fair amount--and requires little more than a decent pair of binoculars and a field guide or two. (I use the Macaulay Library (http://macaulaylibrary.org/) to help identify the birdsongs I'm constantly hearing.) There are clubs and societies if you want to join, but it's something you can do perfectly well on your own--and hoo hah, does it involve skills, both physical and mental.

Give it a try; it's curiously addictive, because there's always another bird to learn. And if you try the mountain biking as well, you can combine the two, especially if you find some good forested trails to ride.

:smalltongue:

AttilaTheGeek
2013-06-10, 08:14 PM
I used to love fencing, both in college and grad school. If you can join a college club or a local group, you should be able to use their weapons and practice space, so all you'd have to buy is the glove and outfit. (This is assuming things haven't changed much in the last few years.) You'll need to spend time with people for the actual fencing, but there are also some simple techniques and exercises you can do on your own--simple in concept and setup, but quite challenging in practice--which will help you refine your reflexes and your technique.

Fencing is very mental, but there's not much you can do on your own and gear can get expensive fast.

And mountain biking: requires the bike, yes, but all you need is a basic, affordable model, and you're good to go. (Also, the helmet. You do need the helmet.) Less to do with intricate skill, and more with a slow but steady increase of power--and pretty much by definition you can do it on your own. If you're not used to riding, you will hurt when you first start out, but you can either power through this or ease on by, and after that it's great.

It's also worth it to note that learning to bike can be a really handy skill to have, depending on where you live. I've put off getting my driver's license for years; I don't need it, since I bike everywhere.

Partysan
2013-06-10, 08:24 PM
My standard suggestion for people with too much time on their hands is to learn a martial art, and in your case this actually fits your criteria rather well. In your case something east Asian seems the better fit. It requires both skill and physical activity, if you don't spar there's no equipment required and you can do form training on your own. You'd need a teacher though. (If you don't mind learning things wrong and most skills being useless you can also train by video, as a sport activity that's perfectly fine. There's a school for karate or some kung fu style almost everywhere though.)

Palanan
2013-06-10, 08:34 PM
Originally Posted by AttilaTheGeek
Fencing is very mental, but there's not much you can do on your own and gear can get expensive fast.

In my experience there's a lot you can do on your own, from basics like stretching and footwork to practicing lunges and strikes. As for gear, though, I always fenced basic dry foil, so I never looked into the lamé jackets and so forth. I could see how those could get pricey fast.

I've put off getting my driver's license for years; I don't need it, since I bike everywhere.

Good on yer for this. I always wish I could do something nice for the Netherlands, since they gave us the bicycle.

:smalltongue:

Originally Posted by Partysan
My standard suggestion for people with too much time on their hands is to learn a martial art, and in your case this actually fits your criteria rather well.

Seconded, definitely.

...but you can do birding and Tai Chi at the same time, right?

:smallbiggrin:

Moriwen
2013-06-10, 08:55 PM
Is swimming feasible for you? No equipment except a swimsuit (which you may well already have) and goggles (if you like them), and (while I was never serious about it) I get the impression there's a big skill component.

I see a lot of votes for fencing, and while I've been a fencer for half my life now, I don't think it's all that enjoyable solo. If you do decide to go with it (and please do!) the best solo thing, IMO, is just get a foil, learn how to hold it properly (important!), and use it for everything. Flip light switches with it, pick random things and try to hit them, hang a tennis ball from a string and try to stab that.

Pie Guy
2013-06-10, 10:56 PM
I'd recommend Diaboloery (also called Chinese yo-yo). Inexpensive, easy to pick up the very basics, and very fun.

SiuiS
2013-06-10, 11:30 PM
Larping! Dagorhir, amtgard, and the like are semi competitive, team & solo boffing with some regs to ensure safety and standards. Amtgard in particular has a focus on technique as much as power and speed, to the point that kingdom-wide tourneys at the champion level require high speed cameras with slomo playback.

At the low end, it's getting together with some friends and spending a few hours creatively thwacking each other with padded sticks while role playing (if you're lucky; sometimes it's just thwacking) and that's basically what most adult get togetherness are, just with more beer.

Hbgplayer
2013-06-11, 02:44 AM
I second the swimming. It's pretty easy to pick-up the basics, but takes time to really master the different strokes and improve your times. You can certainly go it on your own, or if there's a Masters group in your area, I would suggest going to that. They put you in a group/lane that fits your skills/speed, and there is a coach to give you the work-out routine and any critique of your stroke that may be needed.
Plus, it is an excellent workout that takes a lot of energy.

Don Julio Anejo
2013-06-11, 03:54 AM
Well, most of the things I'd recommend have already been mentioned.

Fencing/martial arts I would actually NOT recommend. They're activities where the entire point is to spar with other people. Sure, you might be able to do drills on your own, but they would get very boring, very fast. Unless you routinely spar, the only exceptionally mental component to either is making sure you do the motions properly (i.e. have the correct form/technique). You also run into the problem that no amount of drills will prepare you for a real fight, but may leave you thinking otherwise (obviously applies to martial arts, unless you're a renaissance noble who likes to duel).

For the same reason, ixnay on the weightlifting. While it's something I personally enjoy, it's usually just as mindless - you're basically doing the same motions day after day and daydreaming to keep yourself from yawning.

But..

Biking. Mountain biking has the extra challenge of "can I go up/down that, or will I fall off a cliff and die." You don't need much beyond bike/helmet and you can use the same bike for other things, or even riding around in the city. Nothing special in terms of technique beyond basic leg fitness, challenge comes from the trail.

Shooting. If you combine it with a hiking component and go far enough, you can easily set up targets a few hundred meters away and practice your leet sniper skills. I tend to do this on a regular occasion (in Canada, you can shoot on Crown land without restrictions). Interestingly, none of my manly man friends even care, but I've taken more than half of my female friends and a gay dude shooting, which kinda goes against the stereotype. Also, a .22 rifle or a surplus SKS, a scope and some ammo can be had for less than $300 (cheaper than a mountain bike)

Parkour. I haven't done it myself (and don't want to risk it thanks to a bum knee), but my former roommate swears by it. For extra points, combine it with urban climbing. Then, buy a white hoodie and carry a wrist-mounted knife.

Climbing. Haven't done this either, but seems like something quite enjoyable, and easily done solo.

Extremely expensive (just to get started is probably ~$1500), but... extreme landscape photography. Can be combined with any other way of moving around like mountain climbing, but you also have some awesome pictures to show later. Not physical in itself though and obviously requires mastering photography itself too.

AttilaTheGeek
2013-06-11, 05:42 AM
In my experience there's a lot you can do on your own, from basics like stretching and footwork to practicing lunges and strikes. As for gear, though, I always fenced basic dry foil, so I never looked into the lamé jackets and so forth. I could see how those could get pricey fast.

The place where I used to fence was really competitive, to the point where I left because I got glared at for not going to nationals, so it was pretty much expected that everyon had 3-4 epees, 2-3 body cords, a mask, a jacket, a glove, an underarm protector, knickers, 1-2 pairs of fencing socks, fencing shoes, and a bag to carry it all in. So that's what I meant when I said it could get really expensive really fast.

JustSomeGuy
2013-06-11, 07:14 AM
+1 for weightlifting

Silverrida
2013-06-11, 10:30 AM
I would certainly support the parkour/freerunning suggestions. Although it takes a while to get used to it, it can be a lot of fun. I never was particularly good at it, but climbing things quickly and doing tricks feels incredibly reward. It will also keep you fit if you work at it enough.

Palanan
2013-06-11, 10:31 AM
The place where I used to fence was really competitive, to the point where I left because I got glared at for not going to nationals, so it was pretty much expected that everyon had 3-4 epees, 2-3 body cords, a mask, a jacket, a glove, an underarm protector, knickers, 1-2 pairs of fencing socks, fencing shoes, and a bag to carry it all in. So that's what I meant when I said it could get really expensive really fast.

...wow, that does sound competitive. That must have been a hardcore crowd. I pretty much had a glove, and never competed in anything, so we were in very different groups. Definitely a concern that newcomers should be aware of, then.

Originally Posted by Don Julio Anejo
Fencing/martial arts I would actually NOT recommend. They're activities where the entire point is to spar with other people.

Fencing, to a point, but perfecting a kata can be something that takes years, with a great deal of solitary practice. From one perspective it's very repetitive--but it does involve improving skills to a very high standard, requiring ever-greater physical and mental discipline.

Originally Posted by Moriwen
...hang a tennis ball from a string and try to stab that.

I used a ping-pong ball for this sort of exercise. Hitting it the first time isn't too difficult; but once you have a nice pendulum motion going on, then it gets to be a challenge. Combine it with lunges for full-body madness.

Arkady
2013-06-11, 11:46 AM
Geocaching. You need some form of GPS, but it can be really fun.

If you haven't heard of it, the basic concept is using a GPS to navigate to a specific set of coordinates where another geocacher has hidden a container that contains a logbook and sometimes some little goodies. The fun is mostly in getting to the geocache, as it can lead you on some very interesting hikes. There are geocaches for everyone, with various difficulty ratings. Check out any geocaching website for more details, like geocaching.com (http://geocaching.com).

Palanan
2013-06-11, 11:53 AM
If you have access to a climbing wall, I would definitely recommend you give it a try. It's an excellent workout, and there's a real mental component as well, planning your route and working out what techniques to use.

And there's a deep satisfaction to finishing a route, something physical and powerful I can't really describe. It's worth pursuing.

The Succubus
2013-06-12, 09:38 AM
Become a part time superhero. Plenty of physical activity, can be done solo and it's something you can slowly work at and become better and better. :smallsmile:

paddyfool
2013-06-12, 09:44 AM
Cheers all for the various suggestions. Martial arts are certainly fun but it's also the activity I'm currently burnt out on. Parkour looks interesting but I live in a pretty open rural environment which somewhat limits it. Climbing actually seems like a strong shout. There's a wall on base and an indoor centre with a bouldering section about a 40 minute drive away. Plus I already have a bit of experience through work.
Posted from Giantitp.com App for Android

I was going to vote for climbing :)

Serpentine
2013-06-12, 10:03 AM
Learn fire-twirling :smallbiggrin: Maybe throw in juggling, some gymnastics and other circus-type tricks, if you feel like it. I can tell ya now, they're a very sexy set of skills :smallwink:

TheThan
2013-06-14, 08:45 PM
For shooting sports, I’d normally say go for it. But with the ammo shortage that on right now, I’d say you’re better off picking up something other than a gun. Maybe a bow or crossbow, Or heck get a sling and try slinging out.

Urist
2013-06-15, 12:27 PM
Although it requires a lot of equipment, if you have a rowing club nearby, singles rowing would be a great sport to pick up. Easy to become competent, but it takes years to become good, let alone master. It can be done alone, on your own time(at least, whenever the club is open). It's also incredible exercise; long rows give you cardiovascular and endurance training, while sprints are about the best thing possible for anaerobic and VO2 Max training. Plus, a membership and renting a boat are usually fairly inexpensive, although buying one is a much different story.

Deepbluediver
2013-06-15, 12:36 PM
- Something physical and active.
- But also has a skill component.
- Can be done solo.
- Not too much equipment required.

Rollerskating/blading

It hits all your most important points- the only part that might be questionable is the equipment. You can get a cheap pair of rollerblades for about $100, (I've seen shoes for more) but moderately decent pair will probably cost you about $130-160. At least that's what I was looking at. Whatever prices you find, I would buy 1-2 steps up from the cheapest. Plus you'll want at least wrist-guards, maybe knee pads and a helmet, too. What you DON'T need is an entire skin-tight spandex outfit that I see a lot of bikers wear.

I started skating last spring, because I wanted a better way to explore the city than walking. You can do it anywhere there is a paved road or path, it doesn't require a lot of room to store things, and it gets you a pretty good workout.
Skates are great for getting around- I can move as fast as a jog with as much energy as it normally takes me to walk, and as fast as a sprint with as much energy as it would take to jog. :smallsmile:
Plus, I find it more exciting than just running, and I can keep it up for a lot longer.

You can vary the pace to be whatever you like, from casual to intense. It's also (mostly) low impact, in case thats a concern for you. I picked it up pretty quickly, I think, but I still fall occasionally, and I brake on the downhills; there is definitely room to improve the skill-set, without even getting into things like jumps or tricks.

Edit: When you say "rural" what kind of area are we talking about here? If this is Oklahoma-flat, then Rollerblading might get boring after a while with nothing new to see, but at least you won't have to worry about dodging cars, chocking on bus exhaust and crashing into pesestrians at every crosswalk. :smallwink:

But hills are fantastic- you get the workout on the way up, then the roller-coaster on the way down.

Serpentine
2013-06-15, 10:08 PM
Soooo what about the firetwirling I mentioned? *le feeling ignored :smallfrown:*

McBish
2013-06-16, 01:52 PM
Juggling while on a unicycle. Juggling fire while on a unicycle if you want to make Serpentine happy. I too love circus hobbies, started juggling about a year ago, bought my first unicycle this winter. Still need to learn to ride it.