PDA

View Full Version : Funneling items to specific characters?

JusticeZero
2013-06-10, 03:38 PM
So we appear to be about to have four people in melee. One of them is an Armored Soulknife, which means that her class ability is mainly "I don’t have to budget for armor or a weapon". AS such, I want to pipe more useful wondrous items to her character. However, every melee character likes most of them. I'd considered fluffing one or two items as women's clothes, but next session, we are likely adding two female front line characters. Any ideas how I can get people to not mess up the WBL with wonky distribution of items?

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-10, 03:43 PM
So we appear to be about to have four people in melee. One of them is an Armored Soulknife, which means that her class ability is mainly "I don’t have to budget for armor or a weapon". AS such, I want to pipe more useful wondrous items to her character. However, every melee character likes most of them. I'd considered fluffing one or two items as women's clothes, but next session, we are likely adding two female front line characters. Any ideas how I can get people to not mess up the WBL with wonky distribution of items?

Unfortunately, the distribution of any loot found is a matter for the players to decide. It's out of your hands.

Rhynn
2013-06-10, 03:47 PM
A party should have a proper system for dividing loot, especially in D&D 3.X: calculate item value, divide items, and make up differences with coin, so that everyone gets an equal share.

But ultimately it's up to them. If you have a bunch of selfish players, they're going to come up with all sorts of (ultimately BS) arguments for why they shouldn't divide the treasure evenly.

Vultawk
2013-06-10, 03:47 PM
Maybe tell her to argue for those items more since the other stuff might not be as useful to her?

unseenmage
2013-06-10, 04:32 PM
Magic Items can be created to function only for characters of a certain race, class, or alignment.

It could even lead the players to wonder what NPC made all of these very narrowly designed items.

Said NPC could have been a prophet from a bygone era or a potential patron in the characters here-and-now.

Hope that helps.

Be warned: The above could be considered railroading of the highest order if not handled well. That's why the story based suggestions

Jay R
2013-06-11, 12:10 PM
She needs to argue for her share of the loot. If there are six players, and half the items are arms and armor, her share isn't 1/6 of the half that isn't arms and armor; it's 1/6 of the entire pile.

Velaryon
2013-06-11, 12:19 PM
As others have said, it's ultimately up to the players to decide how to divide the loot. Also, assuming everyone takes an equal share (not all parties choose to do this), the Armored Soulknife should naturally end up with a higher percentage of wondrous items since they have no need for magical arms or armor.

However, if you want to make sure that a particular item ends up in a given character's hands, my preferred way to do it is to give the item directly to the character somehow, rather than to the party. Have it be passed to them by an NPC friend or mentor. Have them find it when they're away from the others and make sure they have cause to use it before they get back to the party. Make it the signature item of a personal nemesis, so that the player will want it when their nemesis is defeated (similar to Haley taking Crystal's knife in the comic).

kieza
2013-06-11, 01:14 PM
Each party member should get an equal share of the gold value of money, treasure, and items they find. If a party member takes an item, he gets less gold. So if your Soulknife is passing on most items, they should be getting lots of gold with which to buy items that are useful.

Saph
2013-06-11, 01:40 PM
Just tell the players out of character to try to equalise WBL. If an item is particularly suited to one PC, point this out.

If they don't take your advice, shrug and move on. At the end of the day it's their decision.

Water_Bear
2013-06-11, 01:44 PM
Assuming this is a 3.X/PF game, the Wealth by Level recommendations aren't set in stone. Messing with them too much can be problematic, especially for more item-dependant classes, but as long as they're roughly within the right range there's no reason to worry.

hymer
2013-06-11, 01:56 PM
Good points have been made. One more: Give them money and stuff they won't use, but will sell. They're likely to divvy up the cash equally and spend it on things their characters can use.

Edit: One more, give them several of some kinds of item. Increases likelihood the one you were thinking about gets one.