PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Shadow Conjuration Possibilities?

OverdrivePrime
2013-06-10, 04:31 PM
Hey all, I'm new to playing spell casters in Pathfinder, and I've got a witch who (eventually) will be able to cast shadow conjuration, thanks to the Shadow patron.

From what I'm reading, shadow conjuration (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/shadow-conjuration) can mimic any Summoning or Creation type Conjuration spell of 3rd level or lower.

Shadow conjuration is a V,S spell with no material component. There doesn't seem to be any restriction on material components for the spell being copied.

Does shadow conjuration allow the caster to conjure expensive-to-cast spells like sepia snake sigil (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/sepia-snake-sigil) at no cost?

I realize the hijinx for illusion abuse in Pathfinder is pretty different (and weaker) than what was available in 3.5. I've tried to find a good Pathfinder illusionist's handbook without much luck. Does such a thing exist? If not, what does the playground think the best uses of shadow conjuration are in Pathfinder?

Cheers,
ODP

Squirrel_Dude
2013-06-10, 04:41 PM
Yes, you could indeed do that with the spell, but the Sigil would only be 20% likely to actually work if they pass the will save from interacting with shadow conjuration, and still get the save from Sigil, and SR would apply.

Shadow Conjuration only creates partly real things, so creatures could disbelieve that what they are interacting with (like say a weapon you wield) and it suddenly only be 20% as effective as before.

But still, you are correct in that it could be a very powerful tool.

OverdrivePrime
2013-06-10, 04:56 PM
Yeah, I'm not super worried about opponents making the save all that often, thanks to fun witch hexes and Spell Focus + Spell Penetration. What I'm most looking for is the utility that Shadow Conjuration (and to a lesser extent, Shadow Evocation) provide.

Sepia snake sigil, cast through shadow conjuration, provides a low-cost way to capture low-level foes and pick them up later. It's not something I'd be using in battle (or at least, I hadn't planned to).