PDA

View Full Version : Need a Nuke

Roguenewb
2013-06-10, 05:41 PM
So, I have a level 17 wizard who is coming to a confrontation with the BBEG, it'll fit very cleverly into the character to have a huge devasting weapon to fire off. I can retrain feats, and I have elven generalist. I tried to ponder what I know to do a ton of damage with. So far, I am not coming up well. I've got:

-the rules nebulous LCB, which also allows saves. Otherwise perfect, kills him, kills me, goes boom.
-some sort of arcane-thesised over-clocked spell attack. Over-limiting build, and is unlikely to kill me as well, while being broken otherwise.
-Cast a ton of explosive runes on the nuke ball, and then dispel it with a quickened cl 1 dispel attempt. Very limited area doesn't make it feel nukeish, unlikely to kill me.
-Breaking a bunch of staff of powers using a boosted strength score to break them all together. This looks fun, cause it does 400 damage per staff I break, makes a huge explosion, definitely kills me, probably kills the other guy. An easy reflex save makes the damage far less impressive. Also, doesn't feel like I'm doing anything.

So, Nukes seem really rare. Does anyone have a good nuke idea/execution I could use?

Desired elements:
-Kills the both of us
-Doesn't mess up my character too much, cause my DM is not gonna allow trashing the character
-Spell based, instead of item based, sufficiently nukish items would still be awesome

Thanks ahead if someone has something.

Icewraith
2013-06-10, 05:43 PM
You probably need to describe the villain so we know what he's immune to, etc.

Kevingway
2013-06-10, 05:44 PM
You have the fairly obvious Locate City Nuke... just Google it. That should be something your character can do by now assuming you have access to multiple Metamagic feats that apply.

Nettlekid
2013-06-10, 05:46 PM
Can I ask why you WANT to kill yourself, if you could have just as good an effect by blasting rather than bursting?

Renegade Paladin
2013-06-10, 05:49 PM
You have the fairly obvious Locate City Nuke... just Google it. That should be something your character can do by now assuming you have access to multiple Metamagic feats that apply.
That's the LCB (locate city bomb) he referred to in the OP.

Kevingway
2013-06-10, 05:49 PM
Haha, whoops! That's what I get for Ctrl+F instead of actually reading... I'm bad.

angry_bear
2013-06-10, 06:12 PM
Make yourself into a Lich, stash the phylactery far enough away that it doesn't get destroyed in the blast?

It's one of the unexpected benefits of Lichdom, you can basically kamikaze at anytime, with next to no drawbacks.

Would Sanctuary protect a character in this situation? I don't have the PH on hand right now...

Emperor Tippy
2013-06-10, 06:37 PM
Get 17 Craft Contingent: Maximized Fireball's, get within 20 feet, trigger them?

That should do what you want.

Icewraith
2013-06-10, 06:40 PM
But evasion. You'd want something like Iceberg, which allows no save within a certain radius from the impact point.

Invader
2013-06-10, 06:41 PM
Make yourself into a Lich, stash the phylactery far enough away that it doesn't get destroyed in the blast?

It's one of the unexpected benefits of Lichdom, you can basically kamikaze at anytime, with next to no drawbacks.

Would Sanctuary protect a character in this situation? I don't have the PH on hand right now...

He wants to die as well.

Lateral
2013-06-10, 06:43 PM
That's the LCB (locate city bomb) he referred to in the OP.
It also doesn't work as written, though you can still use it with Fell Drain to create a wight-pocalypse. Not gonna work for this, though.

One thing you can do, though: Minor Creation (antimatter carbon). Alternatively, Minor Creation (1,000,000,000,000,000,000 kg of carbon compressed into 17 cubic feet). You probably kill everything on the entire continent, and you get to slaughter every catgirl in existence as a bonus.

Also, for further research. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227513)

Renegade Paladin
2013-06-10, 06:50 PM
There's also the old core standby. Time stop, five delayed blast fireballs, kaboom. :smallbiggrin:

Roguenewb
Contingent Fireballs is not a bad idea. The bad guy is a fairly generic, Blood Knight (trope not class) Gish. I wanna kill the both of us because it is cinematic and fits my wizard perfectly in this situation, plus dieing in the trade always makes the DM a little less likely to Deus Ex Machina his BBEG out of the way. The guy doesn't have evasion (we hit him fireballs earlier). I love minor creation(antimatter) but the rules give no support.

ArcturusV
Heck, shouldn't even be that hard to do with a "low power" spell like Meteor Swarm. So you could use some Metamagic (Metaphysical Spell Shaper for example) Cheese (Shapechange for added bonuses) to get something like 2 Standard Action Meteor Swarms, 2 Quick Action Meteor Swarms, and for a bonus, Contigencied "I cast Meteor Swarm" Meteor Swarm. Haste or Belt of Battle means you'd get 4 standard actions instead of two, but I can't even begin to think of a way to get that many spell slots at 17th level to really fill it out. Could add a few Fireballs just for extra effect with those actions.

It's a Touch Attack, so you're likely to hit. If you do, against your target in that following scheme they are taking 10d6 Bludgeoning Damage, 120d6 (No save if you hit the touch attack) damage.

Presuming you can pull it off of course. Having a dead minimum of 130 damage, to a max of 780 in a single strike against him, and doing 120-720 damage to everything within 40 feet of the target should be a decent approximation of what you want to do.

Unless you got a really high powered game going.

Roguenewb
2013-06-10, 07:04 PM
Heck, shouldn't even be that hard to do with a "low power" spell like Meteor Swarm. So you could use some Metamagic (Metaphysical Spell Shaper for example) Cheese (Shapechange for added bonuses) to get something like 2 Standard Action Meteor Swarms, 2 Quick Action Meteor Swarms, and for a bonus, Contigencied "I cast Meteor Swarm" Meteor Swarm. Haste or Belt of Battle means you'd get 4 standard actions instead of two, but I can't even begin to think of a way to get that many spell slots at 17th level to really fill it out. Could add a few Fireballs just for extra effect with those actions.

It's a Touch Attack, so you're likely to hit. If you do, against your target in that following scheme they are taking 10d6 Bludgeoning Damage, 120d6 (No save if you hit the touch attack) damage.

Presuming you can pull it off of course. Having a dead minimum of 130 damage, to a max of 780 in a single strike against him, and doing 120-720 damage to everything within 40 feet of the target should be a decent approximation of what you want to do.

Unless you got a really high powered game going.

This fits in the metamagicked overclocked arcane thesis spell, its not a bad idea, but DM might not like it, but most unfortunately, the problem with the multiaction flurry of spells is that one can't celerity it.

Icewraith
2013-06-10, 07:08 PM
Just run multiple contingency effects off the same command word/action.

Tvtyrant
2013-06-10, 07:16 PM
The easiest way to do tons of damage IMO is to drop a really heavy object on the opponent. Fly up to 1,000 ft. and cast "Invisible spell: Wall of Force." Then cast a lot of "Invisible spell: Wall of Iron" on top of it. Lure the enemy to yourself under the 10,000+tons of iron and cast Disintegrate on the Wall of Force, doing 100,000 damage to the both of you and the ground. The invisible walls or iron will make a massive explosion and crater without revealing what happened, so it looks like everything was just smashed out of existence.

If 100,000 damage isn't enough just add more iron until you get the damage you want.

Roguenewb
2013-06-10, 07:43 PM
I just found out that he's got a bunch of elemental resistance, so I think I'm gonna go with explosive runes ball x many. I dislike the idea, but untyped damage is fun.

Invader
2013-06-10, 08:24 PM
The easiest way to do tons of damage IMO is to drop a really heavy object on the opponent. Fly up to 1,000 ft. and cast "Invisible spell: Wall of Force." Then cast a lot of "Invisible spell: Wall of Iron" on top of it. Lure the enemy to yourself under the 10,000+tons of iron and cast Disintegrate on the Wall of Force, doing 100,000 damage to the both of you and the ground. The invisible walls or iron will make a massive explosion and crater without revealing what happened, so it looks like everything was just smashed out of existence.

If 100,000 damage isn't enough just add more iron until you get the damage you want.

THIS is the easiest way you can think of doing a lot of damage? :smallconfused:

Tvtyrant
2013-06-10, 08:32 PM
THIS is the easiest way you can think of doing a lot of damag? :smallconfused:

Of doing 100,000 damage with no save and no resistance? Yes. It requires 1 feat and three spells and has no questionable rules interpretations.

Invader
2013-06-10, 08:52 PM
Of doing 100,000 damage with no save or resistance? Yes. It requires 1 feat and three spells and has no questionable rules interpretations.

Your estimate of 10,000 tons seems a bit high then there's the problem of luring the guy underneath the trap you laid and Reeses pieces aren't setting appropriate. You have less than 300 feet of range on Disintegrate not a 1000 and wall of Force only lasts a round per level so you have to do all this in 17 rounds without the guy noticing.

And you have to succeed on a ranged touch attack on an invisible object.

Tvtyrant
2013-06-10, 08:57 PM
Your estimate of 10,000 tons seems a bit high then there's the problem of luring the guy underneath the trap you laid and Reeses pieces aren't setting appropriate. You have less than 300 feet of range on Disintegrate not a 1000 and wall of Force only lasts a round per level so you have to do all this in 17 rounds without the guy noticing.

Permanent wall of force (I assumed that was understood, my bad) and you keep adding more walls of iron on top to taste. I picked 10,000 tons worth because it leads to 100,000 damage, but the amount is based on how many you throw up.

You aren't going to be on the ground; you are a wizard! And any enemy that can't fly you could sit back and strafe regardless of their other powers. I picked 1,000 ft. because it is less likely to be noticed that high up, and you fly up and shoot it.

Alternatively to luring an enemy to you, you could do the whole thing while applying greater invisibility to yourself and do it above their fortress. Enough weight and you can destroy anything.

"Reeses pieces aren't setting appropriate" I do not know what this means.

MeiLeTeng
2013-06-10, 09:10 PM
"Reeses pieces aren't setting appropriate" I do not know what this means.

It's a family guy reference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Ps2L46dUs)

ArcanistSupreme
2013-06-10, 09:17 PM
It's a family guy reference (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90Ps2L46dUs)

Originally E.T. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKYeBE8lTr4)

TuggyNE
2013-06-10, 10:04 PM
Of doing 100,000 damage with no save and no resistance? Yes. It requires 1 feat and three spells and has no questionable rules interpretations.

There actually are saves, considering falling object rules in I think it's Heroes of Battle. DC 15 reflex. However, since each object checks separately, you can assume at least 1/20 of them hit unless the target has rerolls or an immediate action spell/ability to block them. And, needless to say, 5000 damage still kills things just as dead.

Kane0
2013-06-10, 10:12 PM
Pick your favourite spell and stack on as much metamagic as possible?

Eg. Intensified Maximised Empowered Twin Searing Fireball (Probably not achievable but you get the idea)

Xervous
2013-06-10, 10:24 PM
I think I found something golden (http://dndtools.eu/spells/shining-south--25/mycontils-last-resort--3276/)

If you have a good number of spell slots left, this is probably going to bring more damage than any other singular spell. You don't need to metamagic it, its just going to dish out 300+ damage on a failed save.

Roguenewb
2013-06-10, 11:25 PM
I think I found something golden (http://dndtools.eu/spells/shining-south--25/mycontils-last-resort--3276/)

If you have a good number of spell slots left, this is probably going to bring more damage than any other singular spell. You don't need to metamagic it, its just going to dish out 300+ damage on a failed save.

Oh man, this spell is amazingly what I need. I have like 55 spell slots. So, use 1, and we're looking at 432 damage to someone next to me. And luckily, I can use my far better save DC to make resisting way harder. I wonder how this could be pumped up. Item of metamagic twin? hmm....

Arundel
2013-06-10, 11:36 PM

You know, I am really disappointed that this wasn't at all based on spell levels. So be it I guess.

Oh, if you're going to go for this spell, may I recommend a few shinies (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#wizardry) for you? There is probably other ways to boost first level spell slots too.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-11, 12:11 AM
Add Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer to that. Convert as many 4th level and higher spell slots as you dare into three first level slots each. Big boom becomes even bigger boom.