PDA

View Full Version : worthless ocular adept?

CyberThread
2013-06-10, 05:41 PM
So the ocular adept from faiths and pantehons is such a yummy unique PRC, sadly though it seems not much is happening with it, you get 4th level casting, and a few SLA's that are decent and at least go above your casting abilties.

The only other thing it seems to have going for it , is easy as hell to get into , so am stuck with the question.

Discounting that tier are built from full 20 base class builds, if you use a tier 4 or 5 class, and go into this PRC , does it raise it above the meger standards the base class is stuck in ?

Also can this prc be saved at all?

Piggy Knowles
2013-06-10, 05:45 PM
I'm away from my books right now, but doesn't it give you 5th-level cleric casting in ten levels?

If so, 5th-level cleric casting and some useful SLAs certainly isn't BAD, unless it's diluting some other form of casting progression.

CyberThread
2013-06-10, 05:59 PM
It gives the same progression as a 10th level cleric would have, including domains of Law, Tyaranny , Strenght, Evil, Hatred. No turning or rebuking.

The eyeball gives a +4 spot bonus.

The only thing I utterly have no clue happens is the special column, as the text gives nothing about it, and says the SLA's can each be used twice a day.

As far as entering it, I think it is +4 fort, +8 concentration and an endurance feat.

So any build would need both CHA and WIS to be effective , and maybe a lil CON as it has a d6 instead of d8 like the cleric.

Amnestic
2013-06-10, 08:57 PM
3/4 BAB, good fort+will, up to 10th level cleric casting*, with "eh" domains.

*Ocular Adept adds to spells per day of a cleric if you already had cleric levels too, so it essentially doubles your 0-5th level spells/day if you went Cleric 10/Ocular Adept 10.

The only thing I utterly have no clue happens is the special column, as the text gives nothing about it, and says the SLA's can each be used twice a day.

There's a typo in the table. All the spells per day levels are shunted one column to the left, meaning that 'Special' has the orisons per day.

What should be the 'special' column is simply listed under 'Save'.

All in all, I'd say it's a pretty cool PrC. The PrC tier list (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5198.0) rates it at a -1, but I suppose it really depends on your entry. Casting spells as a 10th level cleric isn't stupendous, but it doesn't exactly hurt, you know? Plus the 2/Day SLA list is decent enough.

Also you have an eye in your forehead! :smalltongue:

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-10, 09:31 PM
I would enter as a factotum using able learner to effectively keep my class skills. Using a decent wisdom to get self buffing casting and acting as a party scout. Divine power and Guidance of the avatar are both within cleric 10.

Basically you trade factotum abilities for half cleric casting. Good if the party needs healing and stuff, and if you wanted a focused on self buffing and skill silliness.

CyberThread
2013-06-10, 10:38 PM
Hmm maybe, I would maybe use a stronger melee type or a dragon shaman.

Amnestic
2013-06-10, 10:48 PM
Hmm maybe, I would maybe use a stronger melee type or a dragon shaman.

Any class can grab Concentration as a class skill via Martial Study, so you can enter at 6th level assuming a good Fort skill with pretty much anything.

CyberThread
2013-06-11, 02:47 AM
ick what a weird feat....

feels like it would benfit most from small lil 1 or two level dips, that gain it up, factotum, I think suffers from a huge case of MAD , if did that as a base class.

Fouredged Sword
2013-06-11, 07:57 AM
As a factotum you wouldn't be to mad really. It benefits from the ability to spread out a bit without getting hurt too bad. Int and wisdom are nice, but not vital past 15 or 16 each, and with + items you really just need 11-13 wisdom, just enough to get full casting with a +4 item.

Then you are the normal strength / dex / con divide, but you get to count on +6 strength from divine power, and maybe +4 more from might. Dex can be good without being great.

So really you are looking at

Extra points go to int.

CyberThread
2013-06-11, 04:49 PM
Hmm..that would be interesting as an entry, as would ranger I think.