PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone else noticed that it's Mundane vs Spellcasters

Oko and Qailee
2013-06-10, 07:05 PM
Just an interesting thought. The 4 LG members are all Spellcasters and only one of the OotS is , but as well all know, Elan doesn't count.

Guess Roy is really gonna have to prove how awesome fighters are.

King of Nowhere
2013-06-10, 07:12 PM
not-spellcasters being useful has been a teme of the comic for a long time.

Bird
2013-06-10, 07:27 PM
Yes, absolutely -- although what we're also seeing now is the group leaning more on Elan's spells & songs since the primary casters are gone. Roy apologized for snapping, and Elan does, in fact, count.

Oko and Qailee
2013-06-10, 07:28 PM
Useful yes, but not quite on par with spellcasters still. V microwaves a black dragon alone, which the party couldn't beat. Xykon defeats the entire Mundane Sapphire Gaurd. Etc.

They're still outclassed, just useful (something I never questioned.)

Oko and Qailee
2013-06-10, 07:29 PM
Roy apologized for snapping, and Elan does, in fact, count.

I was just trying to be funny :*(

Fish
2013-06-10, 07:43 PM
There could be a deeper meaning to Roy's statement that Elan doesn't count. It's possible that Girard exempted his own magic -- illusions -- from whatever defenses are active. We don't know yet.

Kish
2013-06-10, 07:43 PM
Actually, I think that's part of the mirroring here. The leader of the Order of the Stick discounts Elan as a spellcaster; the leader of the Linear Guild inflates his own spellcasting abilities to being the implicit equal of Malack, Durkon, and Zz'dtri.

Obscure Blade
2013-06-10, 07:46 PM
I recall someone pointing this out, mentioning that despite Nale boasting that they'd "finally shaken that ridiculous evil opposites theme (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0883.html)" they are still, in fact, evil opposites. Just opposite in a different way.

Lvl45DM!
2013-06-10, 08:42 PM
That is not what the word opposite means

Belkar<3
2013-06-10, 09:17 PM
above posts= debate on definition of opposite.

Seriously though, its kind of been that way since original LG was introduced.

Kish
2013-06-10, 11:27 PM
TALKY-MAN BROKE THOG's TUSK!

Dire Moose
2013-06-10, 11:40 PM
Well, it would seem Roy will get to try out his anti-spellcaster feat after all.

Bird
2013-06-10, 11:45 PM
I was just trying to be funny :*(
I know. I wasn't putting your joke down; paraphrasing the line again was just a rhetorical flourish. :smallsmile:

Well, it would seem Roy will get to try out his anti-spellcaster feat after all.
Great point! For some reason that completely escaped me until you brought it up.

Copperdragon
2013-06-10, 11:56 PM
Re: Has anyone else noticed that it's Mundane vs Spellcasters

It's not. The majority of the enemies are spellcasters, but it's no theme, it's not what this is about.
If anything, it's about that "all classes can be useful", that "what players might think about this or that class being superior is often wrong" or "in regard to the story that is told, the power of classes do not really matter - what matters is what interesting (or annoying) abilities they bring and how it affects the character".

ti'esar
2013-06-11, 12:19 AM
It's not. The majority of the enemies are spellcasters, but it's no theme, it's not what this is about.
If anything, it's about that "all classes can be useful", that "what players might think about this or that class being superior is often wrong" or "in regard to the story that is told, the power of classes do not really matter - what matters is what interesting (or annoying) abilities they bring and how it affects the character".

Of course, "Team All-Caster" losing to "Team No-Real-Casters" could be used to further that point.

NobodyWasTaken
2013-06-11, 12:24 AM
This worries me that Elan's going to be incapacitated somehow.

Cavenskull
2013-06-11, 12:40 AM
This worries me that Elan's going to be incapacitated somehow.
Um, he always has been...

Oh, you mean physically? Never mind then. :smallwink:

Copperdragon
2013-06-11, 05:33 AM
Of course, "Team All-Caster" losing to "Team No-Real-Casters" could be used to further that point.

Yes, but I think this point would be "all classes are worthwhile and it's more about what you do with the character anyway, in this instance we see it on a caster-party vs. a non-caster-party", not "mundane vs. caster" in general.

137beth
2013-06-15, 07:15 PM
No, he was referring to the ultimate battle between the evil opposites of Tarquin's greataxe vs Roy's greatsword.

martianmister
2013-06-16, 08:18 AM
Even if you count Nale a spellcaster, and not Elan, V is still there.

CRtwenty
2013-06-17, 02:28 AM
Even if you count Nale a spellcaster, and not Elan, V is still there.

V is not presently with the party, and therefore doesn't count for this any more than Tarquin does.

What cracks me up though is that technically Belkar is a spellcaster. Even though his Wisdom score is too low to actually prepare or cast any spells.