PDA

View Full Version : Ideas on modifying a composite bow.

Qintopon
2013-06-10, 07:19 PM
I want to make a composite shortbow into something thats really really awesome and I would like to know if there's anybody out there with ideas on it. The DM seems really open to just about anything.

Coidzor
2013-06-10, 07:45 PM
What are you looking for here? Magical weapon properties? Mundane weapon enhancements? Materials to make it out of?

Qintopon
2013-06-10, 08:16 PM
I would like to make some mundane modifications to it. Using more physics based logic that can't be found in any book. While magical properties won't be ignored, the character is more of a tinkerer/inventor type than a magical type and would more than likely take the device apart play with it and rebuild than enchant it.

Carth
2013-06-10, 08:39 PM
Have your character invent compound bows? Or takedown bows? Compound bows would probably just have bonus damage as though from a high strength rating. Perhaps 2 points of bonus damage per strength rating bump, instead of +1 like regular composite bows get?

Kuulvheysoon
2013-06-10, 08:42 PM
Well, you could see if your DM would let you apply a weapon template (from the DMG2) to your weapon.

Coidzor
2013-06-10, 09:16 PM
So you want to design your own weapon essentially? That's tricky, though there's some homebrew around the site that might be of use as reference material.

Other than that, the dragon magazine mundane enhancements, DMG2 weapon templates, a few more weapon templates from dragon magazine(IIRC), and special materials are all you've really got there, and they're mostly not that spectacular for bows.

I suppose there's the elven bow that can be used as a melee weapon or the yuan-ti bow that can be used as a melee weapon too.

rollforeigninit
2013-06-11, 10:55 AM
I would like to make some mundane modifications to it. Using more physics based logic that can't be found in any book. While magical properties won't be ignored, the character is more of a tinkerer/inventor type than a magical type and would more than likely take the device apart play with it and rebuild than enchant it.

Those poor catgirls!

TuggyNE
2013-06-11, 05:24 PM
Those poor catgirls!

Twang, headshot.

Gavinfoxx
2013-06-11, 05:53 PM
Eh, I just make a Dragonbone Elvencraft Long Range Mighty +# Composite Longbow, and that's usually good enough for me, before I enchant it...