PDA

View Full Version : [E6] You are allowed one 4th level spell known from ANY list.

Black_Zawisza
2013-06-10, 09:25 PM
Is it Polymorph? Celerity? There are the well-known possibilities, but I'm looking for something more obscure, yet just as powerful.

PS: Because I am a Chameleon, I already have some notable spells available to me at a lower level. Even those added to this list are good overall reminders of effective spells, though!

"4th Level" Spells I Already Have:
Dimension Door
Lesser Globe of Invulnerability
Greater Invisibility
Scrying
Resilient Sphere
Black Tentacles

Tvtyrant
2013-06-10, 09:27 PM
Lesser Globe of Invulnerability. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/globeOfInvulnerabilityLesser.htm) I can now use a standard action to shut down every other caster in the world.

Kudaku
2013-06-10, 09:33 PM
Lesser Globe of Invulnerability. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/globeOfInvulnerabilityLesser.htm) I can now use a standard action to shut down every other caster in the world.

I reckon you ended this thread pretty fast just now.

Black_Zawisza
2013-06-10, 10:02 PM
If I could obtain Planar Binding as a 4th level, how would that stand up to the alternatives? Can I use a lot of other 4th level spells by binding outsiders to cast them for me?

TuggyNE
2013-06-10, 10:03 PM
Black tentacles or solid fog are solid, if unimaginative, choices. C wut I did thar?

Lord Vukodlak
2013-06-10, 10:15 PM
I reckon you ended this thread pretty fast just now.
Aside from the fact that lesser globe of invulnerability has no effect on 4th level spells.

Squirrel_Dude
2013-06-10, 10:25 PM
Enervation is also an option, if I want to just be a jerk and ruin everyone's day with negative levels.

Devronq
2013-06-10, 10:28 PM
Dispel magic takes the globe out soo good not a total shutdown

Kudaku
2013-06-10, 10:29 PM
Aside from the fact that lesser globe of invulnerability has no effect on 4th level spells.

Meaning that each caster that has already made it to the E6 equivalent of Epic levels has one spell per day that he is able to affect the Globe-caster with, or else needs to rely on Dispel Magic... While the globe user can cast every single one of his spells out of the globe with impunity.

Yeah, I still think Globe of Invulnerability is a solid choice.

ArcturusV
2013-06-10, 10:36 PM
I'd pick Scry myself. Knowledge is Power. And being able to spy on someone long before you're even in insanity archer range of him is pretty danged powerful in it's own way. Break Enchantment (4th on Bard/Paladin), also a solid choice. Reincarnate off the Druid list... be the only guy in the party with a Rez? Why not? Restoration, also 4th on Paladin is another ability that would just be pretty hard to get in e6 otherwise.

flamewolf393
2013-06-10, 10:40 PM
Mass reduce person. Just for lulz.

Harrow
2013-06-10, 10:54 PM
I would choose either Reincarnate or Last Breath. Your character suddenly becomes a plot point, because everyone in the world wants a favor.

Raven777
2013-06-10, 11:04 PM
From Pathfinder: Shadow Projection (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/shadow-projection). Now my body sits in a comfortable and safe room. While my sentience plays around as a Shadow for the next six hours. With all the powers of a regular Shadow, which are, I reckon, still a pretty big deal in a world locked around 6th level. And all my skills. And all my feats. And all my spellcasting. And I just get shoved back in my body at -1 hp if something goes wrong. None of Astral Projection's silly negative levels nonsense.

/insert maniacal laughter

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-10, 11:06 PM
Planar Binding. It's a 4th level spell on the demonolgist's list. Not, lesser planar binding. The normally 6th level spell, planar binding.

I summon angels. Eat it BMX bandit.

Gavinfoxx
2013-06-10, 11:07 PM
Lessee here...

per:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12661.0

Analyze Dweomer (Bardic Sage, UA)
Animal Growth (Rgr)
Atonement (Emissary of Barachiel, BoED)
Baleful Polymorph (Hexblade, CW)
Bestow Curse, Greater (Demonologist, BoVD)
Blight (Drd)
Commune with Nature (Rgr)
Contact Other Plane (Hexblade, CW)
Cure Light Wounds, Mass (Healer, MH)
Dismissal (Clr)
Dispel Chaos/Evil/Law/Good (Pal and UA variants)
Dream (Emissary of Barachiel, BoED)
Flame Strike (Drd)
Insect Plague (Savage Bard, UA)
Legend Lore (brd)
Mark of Justice (Pal)
Mind Fog (Thayan Slaver, FR-UE)
Persistent Image (Gnome Ill, RoS)
Planar Binding (Demonologist, BoVD)
Righteous Might (Runescarred Beserker, FR-UE)
Sending (Clr)
Sequester (Thayan Slaver, FR-UE)
Summon Giants (Disciple of Thrym, FB)
Transmute Mud to Rock/Rock to Mud (Blighter, CD)
Tree Stride (rgr)
True Seeing (Urban Ranger, UA)
Unhallow (Blighter, CD)
Veil (Thayan Slaver, FR-UE)
Wall of Fire (s/W)

Of those... hmmm... Planar Binding, Contact Other Plane, Commune with Nature... I'd suggest Planar Binding.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-06-10, 11:19 PM
Meaning that each caster that has already made it to the E6 equivalent of Epic levels has one spell per day that he is able to affect the Globe-caster with, or else needs to rely on Dispel Magic... While the globe user can cast every single one of his spells out of the globe with impunity.

Yeah, I still think Globe of Invulnerability is a solid choice.

I'm sorry I thought he only had one spell period.

ben-zayb
2013-06-10, 11:38 PM
Dweomer of Transference. Because Lesser Globes of Cliche gives you nothing else in return. /jk :smallamused:

The Viscount
2013-06-10, 11:39 PM
From that list above, I'm personally a fan of greater bestow curse. I think it's the greatest reduction in spell level, from 8th to 4th.

Gavinfoxx
2013-06-10, 11:53 PM
You need a bunch of associated spells for Planar Binding to work best, including things like:

Magic Circle Against Law (for the Formians and such)
Magic Circle Against Evil (for most of the evil things)
Enervation
Bestow Curse
Dimensional Anchor
Spectral Hand
Lesser Geas

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-11, 12:07 AM
You need a bunch of associated spells for Planar Binding to work best, including things like:

Magic Circle Against Law (for the Formians and such)
Magic Circle Against Evil (for most of the evil things)
Enervation
Bestow Curse
Dimensional Anchor
Spectral Hand
Lesser Geas

Or you could just call a creature that would likely be sympathetic and not treat him/her/it like an ass. Just sayin'.

Raven777
2013-06-11, 12:16 AM
Or you could just call a creature that would likely be sympathetic and not treat him/her/it like an ass. Just sayin'.

I didn't dump Charisma and spend my college years getting ridiculed by Fighters to end up needing to be nice to people!

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-11, 12:18 AM
I didn't dump Charisma and spend my college years getting ridiculed by Fighters to end up needing to be nice to people!

Heh, I dumped int and spent four years at a party school. Go Dragon Bloods!

Seriously, I play wizards when the DM's playing hard-ball. Sorcerers are usually more than adequate, IME.

Fable Wright
2013-06-11, 01:03 AM
From that list above, I'm personally a fan of greater bestow curse. I think it's the greatest reduction in spell level, from 8th to 4th.

Summon Giants matches the reduction, offers no save, isn't touch range, and summons a CR 12 monstrosity to smite anyone who stands before you.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-06-11, 01:04 AM
I suppose saying astral construct and augmenting it to 17 power points would be cheating....

Mithril Leaf
2013-06-11, 03:03 AM
I suppose saying astral construct and augmenting it to 17 power points would be cheating....

The best astral construct level I could manage was a 6th level one, assuming DSP was valid. Unless you've got some magic way to snag another 6 manifester levels, it probably would be cheating.

My vote would be for planar binding. Then you can get 7th level cleric spells. You'll either need to be quite persuasive or get magic circle against good though.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-06-11, 04:03 AM
The best astral construct level I could manage was a 6th level one, assuming DSP was valid. Unless you've got some magic way to snag another 6 manifester levels, it probably would be cheating.

My vote would be for planar binding. Then you can get 7th level cleric spells. You'll either need to be quite persuasive or get magic circle against good though.

The rules of this aren't clear to me I never saw the I presume earlier threads. Does being limited to a 4th level spell mean they're limited to the caster level necessary to access the spell?
With that in mind a 7th level wilder/4th level fighter) could combine surge(+3), practiced manifester(+4) and an ioun stone(+1) to reach fifteen power points which is enough for an 8th level one

Mithril Leaf
2013-06-11, 04:15 AM
The rules of this aren't clear to me I never saw the I presume earlier threads. Does being limited to a 4th level spell mean they're limited to the caster level necessary to access the spell?
With that in mind a 7th level wilder/4th level fighter) could combine surge(+3), practiced manifester(+4) and an ioun stone(+1) to reach fifteen power points which is enough for an 8th level one

This is E6. You have a maximum of 6 levels. Theoretically you could get a 9th level astral construct by using Quori Embedded Shards, but that's not quite a spell, more like a bunch of items and a spell. I'm primarily invested in this because I've probably spent 50% of my D&D time over the past week trying to get a manifester level above 9 in E6.

Here's the E6 thread (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?206323-E6-The-Game-Inside-D-amp-D) of rules, or at least one of them.

ikosaeder
2013-06-11, 05:07 AM
Any spell list?
Bar 4: Dominate person!
One failed saving throw and the BBEG is fighting on your side.

Pandiano
2013-06-11, 05:18 AM
One level 4 spell from any spell list?

Summon Giants (Frost)
Normally a Level 8 Spell, but appears on level 4 for.the Disciple of Thyrm PrC (also Frost).

KillianHawkeye
2013-06-11, 08:53 AM
Any spell list?
Bar 4: Dominate person!
One failed saving throw and the BBEG is fighting on your side.

Bar 4? What's that, the Bar domain? Which deity has a domain for going to the bar? And where can I sign up to become a Cleric? :smallamused:

RFLS
2013-06-11, 09:26 AM
Bar 4? What's that, the Bar domain? Which deity has a domain for going to the bar? And where can I sign up to become a Cleric? :smallamused:

It's "Bard".....

Lord Vukodlak
2013-06-11, 03:46 PM
This is E6. You have a maximum of 6 levels. Theoretically you could get a 9th level astral construct by using Quori Embedded Shards, but that's not quite a spell, more like a bunch of items and a spell. I'm primarily invested in this because I've probably spent 50% of my D&D time over the past week trying to get a manifester level above 9 in E6.

Here's the E6 thread (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?206323-E6-The-Game-Inside-D-amp-D) of rules, or at least one of them.

Then a ton of these spell suggestions don't work do they as they require a being well beyond the limits set in E6. Disciple of Thyrm gets 4th level spells at 7th level but its a PrC that requires you be level 5 before hand.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-11, 04:03 PM

I'm pretty sure that around half the dwarven pantheon encourages regular bar visits. :smallbiggrin:

Harrow
2013-06-11, 04:13 PM
Then a ton of these spell suggestions don't work do they as they require a being well beyond the limits set in E6. Disciple of Thyrm gets 4th level spells at 7th level but its a PrC that requires you be level 5 before hand.

The OP is a Chameleon, a Prc that can cast spells off of any list, including lists exclusive to other Prc's.

Thomar_of_Uointer
2013-06-11, 07:47 PM
Polymorph is good if you can get some ability that lets you use Ex and Su abilities. Otherwise planar binding is probably the best route, if only for sheer versatility.

Zonugal
2013-06-11, 08:38 PM
Well for a damage-dealing summoning spell Summon Giants is likely the best you'll get as good lord is it strong.

For the ability to be a major player in the campaign world maybe Atonement or Reincarnate?

Baleful Polymorph or Polymorph can be fun as can Greater Bestow Curse.

But I think, with this being E6, you want a spell that will unlock further feats/aspects to the E6 system. And I think with that Summon Giants jumps to the lead again as it'll get you the Summon Elemental reserve feat.

Psyren
2013-06-11, 10:11 PM

Every caster that can't dispel anyway. Which is practically none of them :smalltongue:

Also, globes don't stop anything that bypasses SR, IIRC, like orbs or called creatures.

KillianHawkeye
2013-06-11, 10:31 PM
It's "Bard".....

"Bar" is not the official 3-letter abbreviation for Bard... :smallconfused:

Sith_Happens
2013-06-11, 10:39 PM
Defenestrating Sphere, for the lulz.

Lord Vukodlak
2013-06-12, 04:56 AM
Also, globes don't stop anything that bypasses SR, IIRC, like orbs or called creatures.
Where is that listed? Globe of invulnerability doesn't work on magic immunity. So it doesn't matter if a spell ignores spell resistance or not if it falls within the protected level range it won't pass into the globe.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-12, 04:59 AM
Where is that listed? Globe of invulnerability doesn't work on magic immunity. So it doesn't matter if a spell ignores spell resistance or not if it falls within the protected level range it won't pass into the globe.

The exception being dispell magic because of specific wording within the description of globe of invulnerability, this is correct. Orbs are stopped cold by GoI.

TuggyNE
2013-06-12, 06:11 AM

Globes, lacking the specific text that antimagic field has, stop SR:No conjurations quite efficiently.