PDA

View Full Version : Help With Gods?

Weirdlet
2013-06-10, 10:34 PM
Hey, all- wanting to pick the brains of the Playgrounders again, this time with help creating a religion and god/gods therein.

In the gritty semi-urban campaign I'm percolating, there's an organization of temples/a church that has a great deal of power in the world, operating much like Medieval and Renaissance Catholicism or, as I ripped the idea off of, the Chantry of the Dragon Age games. They rose to power in the wake of the Ancient Sorcerous Empire's collapse, taking up the missions of keeping those extradimensional nasties like elves and demons out, collecting, protecting and passing on knowledge, and providing succor to the human masses. Other races have their own gods, and are looked at askance for it.

The collective temples have a great deal of political and monetary clout, but do not rule the various kingdoms (nor the free city-state the game will be centered on) as theocracies. Further, they are considered the arbiters of magic, having a very strong say in the wizarding colleges, the licensing of practicing mages, and having carte blanche to cart off sorcerers both for their own protection and training, and the public good (uncontrolled magic being a capital-P Problem). Part of where they get their money is in the production of magic items, which are a certain amount of the makework and dues of mages-in-good-standing. There's a maxim (again, taking inspiration from Dragon Age) that magic must serve man and not rule over him- which has worked out to its practitioners having a lot of their freedoms on a very short leash, and plenty of tensions regarding same.

That said, the religion itself needs to be a functional one that fills enough roles to take the place of a single-all-powerful-deity church. My initial thought is four gods and four goddesses, take up the quarters of the year. There also needs to be a sort of Heaven or Hall of Heroes included- as seen in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284501), it does not accept all comers. One of the things I've thought about regarding 'where souls go' includes emotional frequencies- orcs have too much rage and despair and just don't 'fit' the sort of energy that the Hall of Heroes accepts, so they (and those who reach a similar level of soul-battered in their lifetime) don't get to go there, and reincarnate again and again.

So- I have partially-formed ideas of the logistics of things, but I need to figure out the deities that humans call upon themselves, and I'm open to suggestions. If there are some interesting pre-fab pantheons out there, I'm also all for looking into those.

Rhynn
2013-06-10, 11:10 PM
A classic pantheon of eight, seasonally:

Spring, the Lord of Healing: Rebirth, healing, youth, mercy
Spring, the Lady of Paladins: Glory, protection, just war, honor
Summer, the Lion: Sun, warmth, courage, strength, fierceness, royalty
Summer, the Shining Lady: Joy, dance, festivals, happiness, love
Autumn, the Harvest Queen: Harvest, nurture, hearth & home, birth
Autumn, the Bull: Strength, loyalty, stubbornness, hard work, common men
Winter, the Grandfather: Knowledge, lore, records, stories, teaching
Winter, the Blind Lady: Visions, prophecy, judgment, impartiality

These are, of course, ideals. In a gritty setting, the existence of these gods would probably be indeterminate (maybe clerical magic is just magic like any other). Priests can be human and corrupt, but people are probably more likely to follow deities that embody admirable ideals and things to strive for, and are supposed to care about them and provide them good things.

Weirdlet
2013-06-13, 01:54 PM
The clerical-magic-being-just-magic-like-any-other is entirely possible, but there's definitely stuff *out* there. I'm wondering if the gods of the new religion are more like very highly-regarded saints of an over-arching power instead of gods-proper- the reality may be different than what is believed by peasants and low-level clerics, and the doctrine they follow.

Edge of Dreams
2013-06-13, 03:03 PM
There's a book, "Curse of Chalion" that has some similarities to what you're describing. The gods are like a family...

The Lady of Spring - spring, joy, female youth
The Mother of Summer - fertility, female maturity
The Son of Autumn - hunting, war, male youth
The Father of Winter - death, ending, male maturity
The Bastard - all things out of season, untimely deaths, natural disasters, orphans, that which is rejected

When someone dies, there's a ritual in which a sacred animal from each god's temple is brought to the funeral - whichever animal lies down next to the corpse willingly is taken as a sign that the god they represent has claimed the dead person's soul. If none of the gods, not even the Bastard, makes a claim, it is taken as a very bad sign and assumed that the person is doomed to become a ghost or some similarly horrible fate.