PDA

View Full Version : Clumsy Claws, Spellbooks, and Learning to Smith

Yogibear41
2013-06-11, 12:47 AM
So in my current game I am playing an Ambush drake using the savage progression for racial hit die currently 3rd level. At level 8 when I can take my first class level I plan on taking wizard, now I already have some background story on how I learned to be a wizard( I was more or less raised by one for most of my life), however for RP reasons I told my DM that I would like to create my own spell book from scratch using specific materials. ( I want to make it out of dragon skins/scales I carve off the corpses of dragons I kill, the character has a serious vendetta against "true" dragons.) However he told me that basically my hands/claws are to large to hold a needle and thread that would be required to sow the book up, as well as other things involved in the crafting of the book. ( I also mentioned that I would be creating a larger than average book for use as my spell book probably around the size of ryze's from League of legends spell book maybe a little bigger.) I'd go find some tape and measure it out but its getting close to bed time ha

I suggested perhaps using the prestidigitation spell to do the sowing/ etc. work for me and without getting down to it and flat out reading the spell description he said thats probably not going to work, (we were finishing up for the night when I ran these questions by him so his opinion could change later.)

I'm looking for any support I could throw in behind the Presdigitation idea, or another alternative idea so that I could create my spell book.

Now after this level, when I reach level 9 I plan to go into the dragonslayer class (kinda of ironic isn't it? lol) at this point I will gain armor proficiencys and want to try and craft myself my own set of mithril breastplate (going by the rules for horse barding basically)

Now the Dm has asked me, well sure but even after you acquire the tools/materials, how do you know how to make the armor? My answer was well I have ranks in craft blacksmithing :smallsmile: and he laughed and said well, yeah but you still don't know how to smith you have never been taught. (darnnit I think to myself lol)

so without having to go and hire a smith to teach me how to smith (probably would be scared out of his mind cuz ya know im a dragon...) what would be the best way to learn how to do this kinda of thing? I doubt they have how to books lying around. If it helps in anyway I will have 2nd level wizard casting at this level also.

Thanks for your time and the help :smallsmile:

Flickerdart
2013-06-11, 12:53 AM
Build a Dedicated Wright to craft things for you. Or just use Unseen Servants.

ArcturusV
2013-06-11, 12:55 AM
... but... if you have the Ranks... you know... that's what the ranks mean...

Though wouldn't it be "Craft (Armorsmith)" and if you want weapons to go with it, "Craft (Weaponsmith)"?

Anyway, most of it doesn't seem to make sense to me. I mean if your claws are too big, you'd just make a larger sized object. If you can't work fine detail you'd work in large detail.

Might want to consider, instead of Prestidigitation for binding a book for you, something like Unseen Servant instead. I mean that's basically what the spell is meant for. An invisible guy who does grunt labor for you.

Edit: Ninja'd on the Servant.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-11, 12:58 AM
Is there a fighter in your party? If so you can just handwave the smithing thing by saying you've been discussing it with the fighter and can hardly wait to try your claw at actually working with the medium.

Tvtyrant
2013-06-11, 12:59 AM
Sounds like your DM is trying to stop you from crafting but doesn't want to flat say no. I doubt anything we tell you won't be vetoed by him/her.

That having been said you can simply buy a Skin of Proteus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus), which would allow you to turn into something with hands (or use alterself, polymorph, etc.)

Fable Wright
2013-06-11, 01:10 AM
... but... if you have the Ranks... you know... that's what the ranks mean...

This. Maybe he read about the process in a Wizard's book and tested it out, learning how to smith in his backstory?

Also, Dragons' claws are capable of fine manipulation by RAW, as they can cast spells with somatic components. Therefore, an ambush drake should very much be able to just sew the pages like anyone else, though perhaps with a specially made needle.

Urpriest
2013-06-11, 10:38 AM
This. Maybe he read about the process in a Wizard's book and tested it out, learning how to smith in his backstory?

Also, Dragons' claws are capable of fine manipulation by RAW, as they can cast spells with somatic components. Therefore, an ambush drake should very much be able to just sew the pages like anyone else, though perhaps with a specially made needle.

A ball of light with no hands can still cast spells with somatic components if it has innate spellcasting. That doesn't make it suddenly prehensile.

This sort of thing is why Ambush Drakes originally didn't have LA. If your DM is using the progression from online he needs to modify the race to be a suitable PC race, which includes adding prehensile hands.

That said, this really feels like the sort of thing an Unseen Servant should be able to do. Prestidigitation probably can't though.

Yogibear41
2013-06-11, 08:57 PM
Its not that my hands aren't prehensile (he showed no objection to me being able to weild smithing tools for crafting armor) he just said that I wouldn't be able to handle a normal sized needle and thread, too which I responded I'll just use a larger version! Which got me one of those looks lol.

But I think unseen servant solves the problem well enough to be honest. The only problem is im not sure I want to waste one of my starting spells known on it, then again its not really difficult to learn new wizard spells espeically 1st level ones so im really not sacrificing that much.

Flickerdart
2013-06-11, 09:01 PM
You get 3+INT spells known at level 1, surely you can spare one.

Annos
2013-06-11, 09:08 PM
Prehensile tail feat anyone :smallbiggrin:

Flickerdart
2013-06-11, 09:11 PM
Also consider checking out the Spare Hands and Arms of Man items.

Humble Master
2013-06-11, 09:30 PM
Yah, either Unseen Servant or ask your DM about using Mage Hand or Prestidigitation to make the book.

Kelb_Panthera
2013-06-12, 03:13 AM
Its not that my hands aren't prehensile (he showed no objection to me being able to weild smithing tools for crafting armor) he just said that I wouldn't be able to handle a normal sized needle and thread, too which I responded I'll just use a larger version! Which got me one of those looks lol.

But I think unseen servant solves the problem well enough to be honest. The only problem is im not sure I want to waste one of my starting spells known on it, then again its not really difficult to learn new wizard spells espeically 1st level ones so im really not sacrificing that much.

Really. Google an image of a leather working needle, then realize you're talking about making your book out of similar materials and have your DM tell you exactly what's wrong with this idea.

You don't bind regular books with a sewing needle and thread anyway.

Flickerdart
2013-06-12, 08:59 AM
You don't bind regular books with a sewing needle and thread anyway.
Indeed - dental floss is cheaper, and also mintier.

Rabk
2013-06-17, 05:58 PM
For reference: Ambush Drake (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dx0728fc_fightclub_ambushdrake.jpg) (directly from from WotC's site).

I'm just having a hard time seeing those claws doing any fine manipulation. I think Unseen Servant would be the best bet.