View Full Version : Tsriel DMs Kingmaker! - IC

Tsriel
2013-06-11, 02:09 AM
Oleg's Trading Post

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/171814/Map-OlegTradingPost.jpg
http://chaos8.com/wiki/images/1/17/Olegs1.PNG

Bulletin Board
Wanted: Bandits
You read a notice on the Bulletin Board at Oleg's Trading Post placing a bounty on bandits in the area. Taking out a number of bandits would certainly help curtail savagery and help bring order to The Greenbelt. Oh, and the gold couldn't hurt either.

Kobolds in the Hills
Traveling merchants passing through the area have posted notices in the area of increased kobold activity somewhere in The Kamelands to the south. That bodes either good or ill. It couldn't hurt to find their lair and check it out.

Wanted: Tatzlwyrm
Oleg is offering a hefty bounty for pristine tatzlwyrm skull. He thinks such a skull would be a fine addition in attracting more traders to the post, and he might be right. Tatzlwyrms are rare creatures to find out in the wilderness. Also extremely dangerous too. If you manage to find one, you can be certain that it won't go down without a fight.

Wanted: Tuskgutter
A hunter past his prime with the name Vekkel Benzen still laments about losing his leg a year ago to this locally renown pig. It would certainly warm his heart if someone could bag him and bring him back. He offers to make his famous beer-basted pork ribs in addition to passing along his prized tools of the trade to the younger generation.

It has been a long and arduous from the heart of Brevoy to the edge of its land where Oleg's Trading Post resides, standing tall against the uncharted wilderness southward. For reasons only known to you, you accepted the call for skilled adventurers to explore The River Kingdoms. In each of your possession is a charter from the Lord Reagent granting you authority to explore and map the savage lands of The River Kingdom.

Traveling to the trading post wasn't difficult. In fact, about a day's journey away from the trading post, you joined up with five others on the road, all heading to the same place as you as well as similarly written charters. After conferring, it seemed that all six of you were meant to work together in this task.

It is late in the afternoon with only a few more hours until sunset. The six of you arrive at the post tired and weary from the road. The air is warm with a gentle caressing breeze. As you step into the post, you see a large bulletin board with many notes and wanted posters attached to it. Towards the back of the post, you can hear sounds of life and the smell of a hot stew cooking.

18th Avenger
2013-06-11, 03:25 AM
After a long trek on Brevoy's dusky paths, it was the smell of stew was the first thing that caught Liam's attention and made his mouth water. He reached for his waterskin and took a hefty slug to clean his throat of road dust. Half full it might have been, Liam would fill it up before they left for any jobs they took on.

He turned back to his new companions with a grin. "So what's it to be? Should we look at the jobs they have or go get fed and watered first?" The look on his face was a dead give-away to what he wanted.

Gruzzle
2013-06-11, 07:02 AM
Skye spins his short spear lazily and saunters closer to the Jobs board, "Let's take care of the business in front of us before we enjoy the pleasure of that food, hmm?"

As the tip of his spear browses over the posts, the last few elicit a frustrated sigh. Skye looks back at his compatriots and says "Well it seems we have opportunity abounds, my friends. I'm not particularly keen on hunting down animals for a mens vanity, but what catches your interest?"

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-11, 07:50 AM
As Chimi looks over the job bulletin she grows an increasingly demented smile.

"The bandits I think. They're causing trouble for the people here, so we should cause them some trouble over there. Besides, surely a band of big tough thugs will be a little more difficult to scare than mere kobolds."

With a slight giggle Chimi begins to lovingly sharpen her scythe.

"This is going to be so much fun..."

Philemonite
2013-06-11, 09:37 AM
Halendor frowned at Skye's comment.

"Can't we have a few moments to rest? All work and no play..." He mumbled mostly to himself, since the others probably weren't listening to him.
"I'm fine with whatever job you guys pick, as long as I get to look dashing while doing it."
He started thinking if he can make enough commotion within the group to grab one ale, but quickly discarded that idea. He was trying this team player thing, and that would go against the whole idea.

Fangren
2013-06-11, 10:34 AM
It had been a long trek, but they'd finally made it to Oleg's Trading Post. Molly was very glad that she'd had the foresight to buy a set of clothes more suited for travel in uncertain terrain shortly before leaving home, as well as the fact that she'd met up with five other charter-bearers about a day ago. She hadn't voiced it, but the young woman was glad to have them along, if only so she had some protection.

The notice board at the front of the post had attracted the group's attention already. Well, most of them anyway; her adorable Jules was too hungry (and illiterate) to care about anything but the smell of food and the new surroundings. The little dinosaur was scampering around nearby, sniffing everything in reach as he waited for his master.

Molly's humanoid companions were having a discussion about what they should do first. The monk wanted to get food and rink, but the druid had ruled otherwise. Looking over the bounties and notices, Molly quickly read over the four that stood out. The first two they'd probably end up doing anyway in the course of their mission; the other two were trivial things that they shouldn't go out of their way to do (although the boar one probably had an interesting story behind it she could look into later).

The creepy half-drow girl was being, well, creepy and wanted to scare the bandits, and the aasimar was muttering to himself and showing his vanity.

"Hmm..." was all Molly said, pretending to think it over while the others came to a decision.

Gruzzle
2013-06-11, 10:47 AM
After giving the others a minute or so to simply read the posts on the Board, Skye breaks into a sudden smile and claps his hands, "Well, information gleaned, let's eat!"

Philemonite
2013-06-11, 11:29 AM
"Well that's the most sense I heard you make today." Halendor said with a smile. His friendly demeanor made it impossible to be mad at him, even if there might have been a hidden insult in his words.
"My fair lady" he called for the serving girl "My friends and I would like something fresh from your kitchen and some ale. The good kind, not that watered one you give to everyone else."

NikolaTesla
2013-06-11, 12:31 PM
"Lets not forget how big the Greenbelt is and how few of us there are. Those Kobolds could make valuable allies if convinced that their best chance for survival is a helpful relationship with us." He glanced at the prowling dinosaur, then at Molly. I have to agree with Skye about the food though. Lets eat!"

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-11, 01:10 PM
Chimi ceases to sharpen her scythe and sighs ever so slightly. "Sustenance is necessary I suppose."

After a moment she adds "Allying with the kobolds you say? That's an interesting idea... I hadn't even thought of such a thing..."

18th Avenger
2013-06-11, 01:12 PM
Before giving the bulletin board a once-over, Liam gave each of his companions a measuring look, another of the sort that he given since the day they joined forces. The preening bard Halendor, for all his vanity and theatricality, seemed a boon companion as he said what the monk very much desired. The drow-blooded Chimi (who'd given him something of a shock when they first met) was unbalanced, though more-or-less in control of her senses. He didn't know what to make of the tall and carefree druid, though Skye did give off very good vibes. The plain-faced Molly was very introverted and he honestly didn't know what to make of the elf in the black armor whose economic movements that mirrored his own.

But near as he could tell, their hearts were in the right place and were sort of like him, looking for their place in the world. Liam smiled briefly before going over the available jobs. Like Skye, the idea of killing creatures to satisfy the vanity of men did not invite his approval (though beer-basted ribs sounded like quite the treat). As he had little experience dealing with kobolds, the sandy-haired monk figured dealing with bandits would be an easier task. He said as much to Chimi and Molly, whose reptilian pet was rooting around the dirt.

"I'll make sure the others save you seats when you've had your look." With a simple salute, Liam followed Skye, Halendor and Zorren into the tavern, finding that they had already claimed a table for themselves. He grabbed two more chairs and set them around before ordering a mug of ale for himself.

Fangren
2013-06-11, 02:00 PM
After a minute or so of waiting, the druid Skye decided it was time for them to eat, and the other men quickly followed after him, with Halendor ordering for some food and ale. The black leather-clad elf, Zorran, suggested a potential alliance with the kobolds. Molly had to agree with Chimi that it was an interesting suggestion - they must certainly have some history worth learning.

The monk, Liam, suggested that dealing with the bandits would be easier before promising to save the girls a couple seats and walking off. It seemed like a pointless gesture, since it was unlikely that either would dawdle, but it didn't really matter.

Molly gave a short whistle, and a call of "Jules!" Her familiar perked his head up from whatever he'd been doing, and quickly scampered over to his master. Together, they walked after the rest of the group.

Philemonite
2013-06-11, 03:39 PM
A warm meal and some ale in his belly were just what Halendor needed. His mood improved and his snark and vanity toned down. He felt so good he orders some decent wine for the entire group (he still had some gold left over) and even pulled out his harp and sang a ballade.
"So, now that we are fed and aled, what do you guys wanna do? If we go for the kobolds I can be the negotiator. Nice or nasty, I can do it both."

Tsriel
2013-06-11, 03:46 PM
As the group makes their way towards the main cabin, a human woman (http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4631105382713304&pid=1.7) steps out into the doorway and moves to meet you partway in your path towards the cabin.

"Oleg, honey!" she calls out behind her, "We have visitors!"

In the near distance, you can see another human (http://ts2.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4846734184285325&pid=1.7) poking his head just into view behind the downward slope of the roof of the cabin. He waves at the six of you curtly from the distance before disappearing behind the view of the roof. The sound of a hammer beating on nails starts to echo, causing the woman to sigh at the slight of her husband's manners.

"That is my husband, Oleg. Please forgive him. We had a hole open in our roof recently and need to get it fixed before the next rainfall. My name is Svetlana. I welcome you all to our humble trading post. My goodness, where are my manners! You have traveled very far and must be hungry. Please, come inside. I have hot stew and fresh baked bread ready to eat."

She beckons you to follow her as she turns around and head inside. Naturally, the group follows on the promise of a good meal.

Inside you see the makings of a simple, yet elegant home (http://www.alaska-in-pictures.com/data/media/9/cabin-interior_6563.jpg). A heated stove with a stove pipe serves as the hearth and main source of heat within the room. Resting on top is a very large kettle filled with a bubbling liquid and giving off a delicous aroma. On the counter to the side is the bread, still steaming from being taken out of the oven. Svetlana pulls out several extra stools to serve as chairs for you all to sit and have a comforting meal.

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-11, 05:08 PM
Chimi is uncertain of what to do and begins twiddling her thumbs nervously, trying her best to blend in with the rest of the group.

Tsriel
2013-06-11, 05:37 PM
Svetlana hums a random tune to drown out the hammering noise as she works across to the kitchen cupboards and takes out eight bowls to serve the group, her husband Oleg, and herself. She bids you all to take a seat as she she hands each of you a bowl of roasted elk stew with a chunk of bread the size of your fist.

"I'm glad you could make it. We heard from a messenger a few days ago that Restov would be sending some people to help deal with our bandit problem."

Svetlana has a remorseful look on her face as she speaks.

"We are ashamed to admit it, but the local bandits have been taking our supplies as payment for protection for a few months now. If this keeps up, we won't have enough supplies to last through the winter. Oleg is a proud man. He has always been stubborn about asking for help. Still, he knows just as well as I do that this can't go on. Please, I beg of you, help us..."

NikolaTesla
2013-06-11, 05:39 PM
"You mean the bandits come here? That makes our job much easier. When do they arrive next?"

Fangren
2013-06-11, 06:31 PM
As expected, there was no need for seat-saving. The owners of the small trading post seemed nice enough, and Svetlana's hospitality was welcome. She took the proffered stew and bread with a smile and a soft "Thanks!" and sat down wherever there was enough room for her to easily reach Jules. She ate in silence while the others talked, occasionally fishing a hunk of elk meat out of the stew to give Jules.

Apparently, the bandits had taken to stealing the couple's supplies in the name of 'protection', and Svetlana wanted their help. Molly had no qualms about doing so, since they were supposed to deal with the bandits in the region anyway. Like Zorran said, it would make the group's job easier if they knew when and where to find the bandits.

Tsriel
2013-06-11, 06:35 PM
"You mean the bandits come here? That makes our job much easier. When do they arrive next?"

"They come once a month every month. They are expected to be here tomorrow morning."

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-11, 06:40 PM
"It looks like tomorrow morning will be a lot of fun after all, hrm?" Chimi giggles and hugs her scythe like an old friend.

"There's nothing to worry about, well... for you fine folks to worry about. We'll make sure those bandits never bother you again. I wonder if they'll scream, or just cry... or maybe they'll run away and hide, but that's not as much fun."

Chimi snaps herself out of her momentary reverie. "I, uhm... just don't worry about the bandits, okay?" She smiles, an alarming thing rather than the disarming grin she'd intended.

Gruzzle
2013-06-11, 08:18 PM
"Indeed, we'll be happy to solve your banditry problems, ma'am." Skye turns to his compatriots,"What do you fellows say to waking before the sun tomorrow to ensure we are in position and fully prepared for our... guests... arrival in the morning?"

Fangren
2013-06-11, 09:50 PM
'Well, that's convenient.' Molly thought to herself upon hearing that the bandits would be showing up tomorrow morning. She did her best to ignore Chimi's creep rambling, but nevertheless scooted an inch or two away from her.

"Indeed, we'll be happy to solve your banditry problems, ma'am." Skye turns to his compatriots,"What do you fellows say to waking before the sun tomorrow to ensure we are in position and fully prepared for our... guests... arrival in the morning?"

Molly nodded, then turned her head toward Svetlana. "Can you tell us more about the bandits?" she asked softly after swallowing a spoonful of stew.

NikolaTesla
2013-06-11, 10:13 PM
"Alright, let's figure out what our resources are and what resources the bandits have. Chimi, you're obviously good with that... weapon, I- he made an odd flexing motion and a gleaming serrated blade sprung up from the outside of his right forearm- have a few tricks, but how about the rest of you?

18th Avenger
2013-06-11, 11:21 PM
"If you consider our chat with the bandits as payment for this stew and another mug of ale, I would be more than happy to help you. Though I'm not averse to a bit of labor 'roundabouts, either." Liam gave another farmer's grin, one stained with stew.

He had been concentrating on his bowl of stew, bread and ale, filling his stomach and listening to the gentle hubbub of conversation. Svetlana's plight wasn't uncommon in out-of-the-way trading posts, but that didn't make the knowledge easier to bear.

It gave the charters they carried an importance just as great as forging a kingdom; to make a home safe and sound for all to live in peace.

Liam could get behind that idea.

Zorren cut to the meat (yes, Svetlana knew her business) of the matter; the kind of greeting they would give Oleg's unwelcome guests. The monk merely held up two open hands and slowly closed them into fists, the cracking knuckles sounding unpleasantly like breaking bones.

"I've my own tricks too..."

Gruzzle
2013-06-12, 12:08 AM
"I'm not so forward myself, but I can call upon nature to defend in dangerous moments, and mend in the aftermath." Skye gave a saddened half smile. "I suppose my aversion to confrontation is a bit silly given our undertaking, but it's just not been my forte. I truly look forward to bringing peace to the region."

Tsriel
2013-06-12, 01:59 AM
Italicized = DM speech

On the condition of general agreeance that you all are willing to help her, Svetlana offers you all lodging in the guest house. Oleg, finished with his work, comes down a little later to tell you that the bandits have decreased in number each month that they have come for supplies. Oleg counted eight on their last visit.

(off-camera group perception checks!)

@Skye & Zorran
It wasn't obvious before, but now that you've seen Oleg and Svetlana together, you notice something is missing. The two have openly stated that they are married, yet you see no wedding ring on either Oleg or Svetlana's ring fingers. Only Svetlana has the outline markings of where it appears a ring used to be.

You have but a couple hours left of daylight to prepare yourself for the coming events tomorrow.

Gruzzle
2013-06-12, 07:13 AM
Skye remains jovial in the presence of the "couple" and bides his time until the group is away from them.

Once the group retires to the guest house for the evening, Skye calls for a meeting with everyone. "Ladies and gentlemen, we may have a more pressing concern than sunrise tomorrow. I've noticed that Oleg wears no wedding ring and has no tan line indicating he ever wore won. Svetlana also doesn't wear one but there's at least signs she used to. I believe we ought to seriously be on guard to the possibility that at the lady may be a hostage here. Barring that, they may both be bandits. Can anyone here possibly sneak around tonight and spy on those two without us present, see if we can learn more? How they interact when no one else is around will be quite, telling, I feel. If either or both of them are actually bandits themselves, tomorrow's sunrise is likely to hold a surprise for us that we may not have otherwise been prepared for. What do you guys think?"

Philemonite
2013-06-12, 07:20 AM
Halendor liked Chimi's enthusiasm, but her words were kinda creepy.
"I hope so, I really need to have some fun."
"But getting up before the sun? Damn, there goes my beauty sleep." Halendor mumbled. For him morning was the hardest part of the day.
"I'm no stranger to the art of the sword. Actually, I prefer two." He said with a smile. "I also have a few magical tricks at my disposal and I can take care of any enemy wizard faster then anyone else."
He turned towards their host.
"So, Oleg, aside from the bandits do you have any other problems here?"

Sense motive check to see if Oleg is just grumpy, or if there is something else to it: [roll0]

18th Avenger
2013-06-12, 07:58 AM
"Don't feel any different," began Liam from his bedroll on the floor. "It couldn't be Svetlana. I mean, if she'd been in cahoots, wouldn't it be easier to just knock us all out and slit our throats?"

The monk shrugged. "It's that Oleg fellow, like you suspect. Maybe the missus is being held under duress?"

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-12, 08:01 AM
Chimi frowns at Skye's question. "I'm afraid that is one thing I'm no good at." She shakes her head mournfully. "Always intended to learn, just never have had time... sneaksy types are scary, I do love them so..."

Fangren
2013-06-12, 09:56 AM
"Magic." was all Molly said when asked what she could contribute to the group. She'd have given a demonstration, but it was too bright in the main cabin to use Light, and none of the other spells she'd prepared that morning would make a good demonstration. Besides, once it got darker she could just use Light outside.

~~Some Time Later~~

Once dinner was basically finished, Oleg finished his roofing work and informed the group that the number of bandits had been decreasing each month, and that there should probably be less than eight of them this time around. It wasn't the sort of information Molly had been hoping for, but she didn't have much opportunity to ask anything else.

Soon, the group was retiring to the Guest House, as per Svetlana's offer. Molly quickly claimed one of the beds for her and Jules, laying down her things and taking the two scrolls out of her back pack. She'd been given them by her master back in Eagle's Watch, but had only now taken the time to prepare them. A single spell and a couple seconds later, she'd deciphered the arcane writing on the pair of Identify scrolls.

Soon, Skye was calling for a group meeting. Apparently, neither Oleg nor Svetlana was wearing wedding rings, despite being (allegedly) married. Furthermore, only Svetlana had markings suggesting she'd once worn one. Molly mostly agreed with the suggestion that Oleg was more suspicious, and that they should try sneaking around to be certain.

"I'm bad at stealth as well." she said, more-or-less echoing Chimi. Jules gave a chirp from the spot in Molly's lap he'd taken a few minutes ago.

I used my silent Read Magic to decipher both Identify scrolls, and then ended the spell. Also, you did take into account my familiar-granted Alertness, right? For what little difference it would have made.

Gruzzle
2013-06-12, 12:43 PM
"I'm not sneaky either Molly, but can you scry? I'm not skilled with arcane matters like that, myself. Or perhaps Jules can help? Is anyone else here stealthy?" Skye glances over Zorran's blackened armor and raise a speculative eyebrow.

Tsriel
2013-06-12, 01:29 PM
Halendor liked Chimi's enthusiasm, but her words were kinda creepy.
"I hope so, I really need to have some fun."
"But getting up before the sun? Damn, there goes my beauty sleep." Halendor mumbled. For him morning was the hardest part of the day.
"I'm no stranger to the art of the sword. Actually, I prefer two." He said with a smile. "I also have a few magical tricks at my disposal and I can take care of any enemy wizard faster then anyone else."
He turned towards their host.
"So, Oleg, aside from the bandits do you have any other problems here?"

Sense motive check to see if Oleg is just grumpy, or if there is something else to it: [roll0]

Oleg strikes you as just being tired and grumpy.

Oleg continues to speak about things you have already read about on the bulletin board. He doesn't provide any new insight or information to your quests.

Philemonite
2013-06-12, 01:40 PM
"I don't know. I'm just not getting that vibe from Oleg, and I'm pretty good at reading people. Maybe Svetlana is hiding from someone and Oleg is just helping her?"

Fangren
2013-06-12, 01:41 PM
"I'm not sneaky either Molly, but can you scry? I'm not skilled with arcane matters like that, myself. Or perhaps Jules can help? Is anyone else here stealthy?" Skye glances over Zorran's blackened armor and raise a speculative eyebrow.

At Skye's question, Molly blushes and turns her head away. "I...am not yet skilled enough to perform any scrying spells." She looks down at her familiar, and scratches his neck. "Jules could probably hide, but he wouldn't be able to tell me anything more than vague feelings."

NikolaTesla
2013-06-12, 03:50 PM

Or at least, looked over at where he thought he had last seen him...

Svetlana was obviously an indoor worker, and yet had a tan line. Oleg did physical labor, and yet did not have a tan line. Zorren made as if he was examining the board again when the group was leaving, but when he exited he did not follow. Sticking to the shadows, he snuck around the back to where they heard the hammering earlier and looked for a convenient method to get onto the roof, potentially the ladder Oleg would have used. Hopefully, he could verify the hole in the roof story, and then find a good place to listen in. If not, he'd have to risk sneaking back inside...

Stealth, Climb, and Perception rolls (if necessary)

Stealth: [roll0]
Climb: [roll1]
Perception: [roll2]

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-12, 03:56 PM
Chimi sits in the guest room, apparently bored, half-singing to herself and barely paying attention to the goings on around her.

In truth she was deep in thought, considering the situation both with the bandits and the possibility that Oleg, Svetlana or both might turn against them; that all this could be a trap.

She was afraid, and so she laughed aloud.

18th Avenger
2013-06-12, 09:39 PM
From his place on the floor, Liam watched Zorren go after Skye had given him the appraising glance.

"I'm familiar with the Walk of Rice Paper, but that's as far as I go," said the monk to the druid. "I fear I'd only make things worse. Besides," the monk stretched and lay flat on his back. Liam was reaching into his pack for his flute case. "His kind prefer no company while they work."

A few minutes later, following the sound of maddened laughter, lilting flute music could be heard from the guest house's window. Then there was a noise like an out -of-tune parp then a softer 'damnit'. After that, it was gentle flute music until he finally fell asleep.

Tsriel
2013-06-15, 04:51 PM
Or at least, looked over at where he thought he had last seen him...

Svetlana was obviously an indoor worker, and yet had a tan line. Oleg did physical labor, and yet did not have a tan line. Zorren made as if he was examining the board again when the group was leaving, but when he exited he did not follow. Sticking to the shadows, he snuck around the back to where they heard the hammering earlier and looked for a convenient method to get onto the roof, potentially the ladder Oleg would have used. Hopefully, he could verify the hole in the roof story, and then find a good place to listen in. If not, he'd have to risk sneaking back inside...

Stealth, Climb, and Perception rolls (if necessary)

Stealth: [roll0]
Climb: [roll1]
Perception: [roll2]

Becoming one with the shadows, Zorren expertly moves about under the cloak of night. Without so much of a sound, you check upon Oleg's work and visually confirm where Oleg spent his time patching up the hole in the roof. The workmanship was servicable for someone that probably would rather spend more time trading goods than being a carpenter. The new roof tiles are visibly noticable and not nearly as sun faded as the rest of the roof.

Zorren climbs down from the roof and finds a bedroom window to peer through. Oleg and Svetlana appear to be having an involved discussion but you can't quite make out what they are saying. After a few minutes, the two share an intimate kiss followed by casual mutual undressing.

The Missing Wedding Band
Thanks to your keen senses, you noticed that Svetlana is missing a wedding ring from her ring finger. It's unsure as of yet how long the ring has been missing, but apparently it hasn't been long judging from the tan line still on her finger. I suppose you could just ask about it...

Tsriel
2013-06-16, 05:43 AM
OOC: Assuming all "curiosity" has been quenched, we're moving on.

The rest of the night goes by peacefully. After a full night of rest, Svetlana greets you all warmly and with a hearty breakfast of farm fresh eggs, elk sausages, and a wholesome goatsmilk gravy with buttered bread. Still, you can easily sense the tension in the air. Bandits are expected to come for their monthly haul and could arrive at any moment...

The Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=34718)

Starting from the top of the table on page 1 of OOC, place your token where you want to put it with respect for buildings and terrain. When you are finished, pass the turn and post the link in this thread.

NikolaTesla
2013-06-16, 10:56 AM
Having found nothing the previous night to implicate duplicity in Oleg and Svetlana, Zorren decided to just go along with what they wanted, for now. He ate a surprisingly large amount of food (especially meat) for an elf, though if asked about it he simply replies that in his line of work going without good food for extended periods of time is sometimes necessary, and that its good to stock up when good food is available.

(Assuming the bandits don't show up before hand) Zorren elects to take up a hidden position on the roof of the guest house so that he can have a good view of both the road and the front door.

[I'll place a token as soon as I have access to an actual computer.]

Gruzzle
2013-06-16, 06:32 PM
http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=34780

Skye is also at the picnic benches, enjoying the monks music with his breakfast.

Fangren
2013-06-16, 11:57 PM
After a good night's rest, Molly awoke and immediately set to preparing her spells. She wished she'd had some more information on the bandits, but she would make do. Her spell selection was limited anyway.

For breakfast, she and Jules joined the others outside, where she looked for omens of impending attack between bites.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=34785
(http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=34785)
We were already out-of-turn anyway...also, I updated my spells for the day. It's mostly the same as before, but with Expeditious Excavation instead of Retreat and a silent Detect Magic instead of silent Read Magic.

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-17, 02:27 PM
Chimi hadn't slept well, as evidenced by her unusually dour demeanor. Her usual macabre antics having been replaced with a simple grumpiness that neither asked nor gave much notice to her surroundings beyond the occasional grunted greeting or thank you.

New Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=34925)

I hope I did that right...

Tsriel
2013-06-17, 09:59 PM
Newest table
Placing Zorren on his behalf due to technical issues. Only Halador remains to be placed.
Current Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=34956)

18th Avenger
2013-06-18, 03:17 AM
Liam had been among the first to rise, as was his custom. It was also his custom not to be so effusive with his morning greetings or even to load up on the first meal of the day. So as the monk nibbled on a couple of the fresh eggs and half a loaf of buttered bread, he sat with Zorren and a few others to listen to what the elf had found out earlier that night.

The monk took the information in stride. "Well, if that's the case, then what must be done is clear enough." Liam took a gulp of milk and wiped his mouth with the back of a callused hand. So until the bandits arrived (and Zorren had disappeared), the sandy-haired monk sat at ease on one of the picnic tables, relishing the crisp morning air and playing little tunes on his flute.

Tsriel
2013-06-18, 03:48 AM
OOC: OK, no more movement! :D Starting table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=34966)

An hour goes by after breakfast and all is quiet. The group has taken a wait-and-see approach as the time goes by. Another hour goes by, still nothing. Oleg and Svetlana continue to go about their daily routines, but it's obvious to everyone that they are tense. At close to midday, Zorren spots from the roof a single horse-drawn wagon with a green cloaked driver and four other figures in the back. Zorren alerts the group with a well placed pebble toss onto the table that Molly and Chimi shared, hoping the advancing party didn't see him do it.

The atmosphere is palpably tense as you all watch these group of men ride in. The driver looks around and calmly states that he and his men were hoping for food and a few hours rest. Oleg with haste runs our and greets the man curtly.

Sense Motive

Zorran:
Liam: [roll1]
Chimi: [roll2]
Skye: [roll3]
Molly: [roll4]
Halendor: [roll]1d20+7

Tsriel
2013-06-18, 03:55 AM
Halendor: [roll0]

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-18, 07:37 AM
Chimi idly nibbles on her breakfast as the bandits enter the trading post. She keeps her back to them, pretending to be absolutely disinterested in their business. After a moment she stands and casually walks around the building, out of sight of the bandits an enormous grin begins to work it's way across her face...

Once in place Chimi casts a quick spell, Ventriloquism, and begins shouting - the sound apparently coming from outside the trading post, behind the bandits.

"Attention, bandit scum! On behalf of the lord of Brevoy we, the Company of the White Elephant have tracked you here, and now will see you brought to justice. Drop your weapons and surrender peaceably, or we shall be forced to attack!"

Chimi will move from her seat around the building Zorren is in, she's going the long way around away from the bandits and will stop 3 squares before the corner (so they still can't see her.)

She will then cast Ventriloquism so that the sound originates from outside the gates when she begins shouting.

Rolls:
Not sure if this one is a Bluff or an Intimidate to be honest, so I'm going to roll both:

Intimidate

Bluff [roll]1dd20+4

Fangren
2013-06-18, 07:42 AM
Molly (and Jules) were grateful for the couple of hours of additional peace, even with the ever-increasing tenseness of the group. She kept looking for omens of the bandit's arrival, but it was a small pebble from Zorren's hand bouncing off the table she shared with Chimi that alerted the young diviner.

Five men in a horse-drawn wagon, these people were obviously the bandits. Hoping that none of her companions would start a fight, she performed a quick, and silent, magical scan of the men and cart. She didn't think it was likely that the bandits would be carrying that many magical items or be capable of casting spells themselves, but she didn't want to be unprepared and it would only take a few seconds anyways.

Casting my silent Detect Magic at the cart and bandits, holding it for the full three rounds of the spell - long enough for Detect Expertise to kick in, I think.

Tsriel
2013-06-18, 11:18 AM
Chimi idly nibbles on her breakfast as the bandits enter the trading post. She keeps her back to them, pretending to be absolutely disinterested in their business. After a moment she stands and casually walks around the building, out of sight of the bandits an enormous grin begins to work it's way across her face...

Once in place Chimi casts a quick spell, Ventriloquism, and begins shouting - the sound apparently coming from outside the trading post, behind the bandits.

"Attention, bandit scum! On behalf of the lord of Brevoy we, the Company of the White Elephant have tracked you here, and now will see you brought to justice. Drop your weapons and surrender peaceably, or we shall be forced to attack!"

Molly (and Jules) were grateful for the couple of hours of additional peace, even with the ever-increasing tenseness of the group. She kept looking for omens of the bandit's arrival, but it was a small pebble from Zorren's hand bouncing off the table she shared with Chimi that alerted the young diviner.

Five men in a horse-drawn wagon, these people were obviously the bandits. Hoping that none of her companions would start a fight, she performed a quick, and silent, magical scan of the men and cart. She didn't think it was likely that the bandits would be carrying that many magical items or be capable of casting spells themselves, but she didn't want to be unprepared and it would only take a few seconds anyways.

Casting my silent Detect Magic at the cart and bandits, holding it for the full three rounds of the spell - long enough for Detect Expertise to kick in, I think.

You get your actions off, but now it's time for initiative...

Philemonite
2013-06-18, 03:17 PM
Halendor woke up on time, and that was very uncommon for him. He was used to others waking him saying that breakfast is over. This was not the case this morning and he was the first one at the table. Unsurprisingly, he was the first one to leave the table, and made his way to the stables. He always loved animals and spending time with them relaxed him. He looked at his two blades. They were sharp and ready to go. He tried channeling some of his arcane power into them, and he was happy with the result. He cleared his throat, there was probably no way to reason with this bandits, but he wanted to be ready.

His thoughts were interrupted by a sound coming from the table. He could see Molly and Chimi, and as soon as he saw their expressions he knew it was time. He could see that Molly was focusing on a spell, even though she didn't produce any sound. Chimi was being weird again, trying to frighten the bandits. It's probably not going to work, but it was a good try. He would have chosen a diplomatic approach, but it looked like the others are ready for a battle and Halendor didn't want to disappoint his teammates.

NikolaTesla
2013-06-18, 05:53 PM
Keeping his belly flat against the roof, Zorren silently dipped a small dart into the vial of dark liquid he kept concealed on his arm. One good shot to the leader of the bandits (if this really was them) would likely result in the quick surrender of the rest, who could prove valuable resources. He slid the dart into the carefully carved wooden tube in his right hand and brought it to his lips, taking aim as Molly finished speaking.

Tsriel
2013-06-20, 12:36 AM
It's a trap! (http://sounds.moviesoundclips.net/movies1/starwars6/trap.mp3)

One of the men cry out, causing all others to brace for battle. The men look visibly nervous as one of them hastily makes a beeline towards Molly and attempts to backhand her.

Attack!
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

However, Molly was ready for it as the attack was easily ducked by her.

Halendor has received initiative!

Current Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35133)

Philemonite
2013-06-20, 07:11 AM
Halendor moved closer to the bandits.
"Nice, new toys to play with." He said with a grin.
With a slight movement of his hand and a little chanting he focused on the bandits.

http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35147

Casting Sleep on the driver.

Tsriel
2013-06-20, 07:19 AM
Will Save
[roll0]

OOC: OMG!

Halador's chanting takes flight as he sings a soft lullaby. It takes the driver back to the days of him being in his mother's arms and is soon fast asleep.

Tsriel
2013-06-20, 07:27 AM
Meanwhile, a man drawing a sword as he moves sees Liam and tries to cut him down...

Attack
[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

Molly has received initiative! (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35151)

Fangren
2013-06-20, 10:25 AM
On one hand, Molly's quickly found out that none of the bandits had anything magical to them. Unfortunately for her, they quickly attacked - and they went after her first! It was easy to dodge, but it left the armed man much too close for comfort.

'Nothing a little burst of light can't solve.' Quickly stepping away from the man, Molly averts her eyes and speaks the word to evoke the spell. From Jules, who had been between her legs, she could sense fear and confusion. She couldn't stop to pick him up, though, but she hoped the small, nimble, and magically intelligent dinosaur would be fine a few seconds alone.

Casting 'Flare' on Armed Man #2, the jerk. Also provoking an AoO from moving.

Concentration check for Casting Defensively: [roll0] at DC15

Edt: Crud, lost the spell. Anyway, here's the new table. (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35234) We should probably get a thing for Jules.

Edit 2: Changed to 5-foot step followed by casting Flare.

Tsriel
2013-06-20, 03:35 PM
Saving Throw!
[roll0]

Molly finishes her incantation on her spell causing a brilliant burst of light to go off around him, but he seems completely unphased and unimpressed.

Chimi has received initiative!
Current Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35255)

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-20, 04:57 PM
Chimi is obviously disappointed the bandits ignored her earlier attempt to frighten them, and instead reluctantly decides on a more direct course of action. Raising her scythe above her head she begins an incantation to call forth a creature from another plane - calling forth a fiendish eagle which she happily sics on the bandits.

Chimi is going to stay in her position, but summon a fiendish eagle to harass the bandits. The eagle will appear at the corner of the building she's next to, and charge the armed man near Liam.

Eagle stats here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/eagle/summoned-creature-eagle) - Since I'm using my class ability to cast summon monster I, it lasts 1 minute per level instead of 1 round per level.

Eagle attack roll: [roll0]
Damage roll [roll1]

I'm not sure how to add a token to the map for the Eagle, or if Tsriel would prefer to do that himself anyway.

Tsriel
2013-06-21, 12:07 AM
Chimi busies herself with magical incantations, summoning a Fiendish Celestial Eagle. The creature quickly materializes and makes a mad dash towards Liam's attacker, clawing on his eyes with its talons for 2 points of damage.

Molly's familiar, Jules has received initiative!
Current Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35292)

OOC: You can add tokens at the top-left hand corner where it says "Change map, add or remove tokens". You can also change your picture there if you don't like the one you have now.

Fangren
2013-06-21, 01:11 AM
Jules was having a rather odd morning. He knew Mistress had been feeling tense since the night before, he'd felt it through their link, but he didn't really know why. He'd stayed between her legs throughout breakfast, eating the little bits of odd meat Mistress gave him happily.

And then a bunch of other humans showed up, and their were loud noises, and one of them even tried to hit Mistress! Mistress had made light flash before the human's eyes, but Jules could see it didn't do what Mistress had wanted - a fact verified by the frustration he could feel from her. Part of him wanted to bite the man for trying to harm Mistress, but the smarter part of him knew that Mistress would not approve right now.

Instead, he ran as fast as he could away from the man (and, sadly, Mistress). He decided to hide behind one of the really big kind-of-tree-kind-of-not things in the area.

Jules is taking a full round action to withdraw. No attacks of opportunity for you, Mister Scary Armed Man!

New Table. (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35306) Zorren's up next.

NikolaTesla
2013-06-21, 01:46 AM
Well, with the driver put to sleep by Molly, there wasn't much point in using up some poison to knock out another. He'd just have to be careful handling that particular dart in the future...

Clasping his blowgun in both hands, Zorren leaps from the roof with a quarter backflip, landing behind the man attacking Molly on his hands in feet in a crab like position. Then, with a powerful push from his hands, he kicks out with both feet at the bandit's spine.

SNEAK ATTACK!

I will be making the following rolls in the rolling thread:
Acrobatics: get off the roof safely (if necessary, I don't know how high the edge of the roof is)
Stealth: To get the bandit flat-footed if he hasn't already seen Zorren.
Attack Roll: This gets a flanking bonus
Damage roll: Mwhahaha...

New Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35308)

Tsriel
2013-06-21, 01:46 AM
OOC: We had three combatants with 10 init, the order goes Zorren -> Liam -> Thug 3.

Tsriel
2013-06-21, 02:31 AM
Well, with the driver put to sleep by Molly, there wasn't much point in using up some poison to knock out another. He'd just have to be careful handling that particular dart in the future...

Clasping his blowgun in both hands, Zorren leaps from the roof with a quarter backflip, landing behind the man attacking Molly on his hands in feet in a crab like position. Then, with a powerful push from his hands, he kicks out with both feet at the bandit's spine.

SNEAK ATTACK!

I will be making the following rolls in the rolling thread:
Acrobatics: get off the roof safely (if necessary, I don't know how high the edge of the roof is)
Stealth: To get the bandit flat-footed if he hasn't already seen Zorren.
Attack Roll: This gets a flanking bonus
Damage roll: Mwhahaha...

New Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35308)

Boldly, Zorren jumps from his perch on top of the roof of the guest house and falls roughly 10ft to land a strike with the measure of grace and precision of practiced martial artist. Zorren deals 8 damage to the swordsman's spine, causing him to crumple and writhe in pain as he clutches his back.

"Ma war wound! ARGH!"

OOC: Actually, you never did have flanking to start with. You *did* have a height advantage, however. He wasn't flat footed because he had already acted in this combat, but he wasn't aware you were there on the roof. Sneak attack still counts.

Liam has received initiative!
Current Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35323)

18th Avenger
2013-06-21, 03:43 AM
Things To Remember
Liam, HP: 11, AC: 15
Action: Flurry of Blows (full attack action)
Target: Armed Man#1
To Hit: Disarm: [roll0]
Unarmed Strike: [roll1]
Unarmed Strike Damage: [roll2]
It appeared that, for all intents and purposes, that when the sandy-haired monk was caught up in his flute-playing when the bandit advanced on him with the intention to cleave life from his bones.

How surprised the bandit must have been that not only did Liam dodge the incoming blow, but suddenly reach to pull the blade away from his grasp while aiming a short sharp punch at his midsection.

Tsriel
2013-06-21, 05:19 AM
The bandit found himself more concerned about keeping his weapon handy as opposed to feel the crushing force of Liam's punch. The hit causes the bandit to double over as the wind is knocked out of him as well as consciousness.

Meanwhile a thug with a blade drawn advances upon Halendor having seen what he did with his incantations. He lines up his strike and tries to cut Halendor down...

Attack

[roll0]

Damage
[roll1]

As this happens, the last thug yet to move draws a weapon and proceeds to step in front of the sleeping driver. He charges directly at Liam from this position complete with obnoxious war cry...

Attack

[roll2]

Damage
[roll3]

Skye has received initiative!
Current Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35328)

Tsriel
2013-06-24, 03:16 AM
i think I'd like to forgo using a spell and close with the driver, so he wakes up to my spear to in his face. Getting answers and stuff would be nice.

Halendor has received initiative!
Current Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35521)

Philemonite
2013-06-24, 12:37 PM
Halendor was happy, he managed to disable the driver, who was probably their leader.
"That was pathetic." He said as he easily avoided the thugs attack.
"My turn." He said as he drew his other blade and attacked the thug.

Main hand attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]
Off-hand attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

I have Two-Weapon Fighting and a light blade as my off-hand weapon and -2 penalty is negated by my STR bonus, so it's a straight d20.

Tsriel
2013-06-24, 01:05 PM
The thug snorts at your lack of finess on your sword strikes.

Chimi has received initative!
Current Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35521)

OOC: I can't view the table while I'm at work (:smallannoyed:) so I'm working under the assumption that Thug 1 is unconcious. If this is the case, Chimi is back in her *rightful* place in initiative

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-24, 03:51 PM
Chimi rushes around the building to reluctantly join the fray while the celestial eagle continues it's assault on the armed man.

Chimi is taking a double move, 30ft from where she was to the corner of the building, and another 30ft south toward Armed Man 4, but she'll come up a couple squares short this turn.

The celestial eagle will continue it's attack on Armed Man 4:

[roll0]
[roll1]

Latest Map: here (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35564)

Tsriel
2013-06-24, 04:27 PM
The eagle continues to claw and rake at its enemies, this time targeting the newly approached combatant. Having seen what it did to his ally earlier, he wasn't about to lose an eye as he lifted up his arm to protect his face.

Molly has received initiative!
Current Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35564)

Fangren
2013-06-24, 04:38 PM
The sudden felling of Molly's attempted assailant was very much welcome. 'I'll have to thank Zorren for that later.' she told herself, briefly looking around. Jules had run off somewhere, and most of her allies were engaging one of the only two bandits left standing (one had been put to sleep, another lay unconscious at the monk's feet).

It was somewhat disappointing that she wouldn't be able to help them much, especially as she wasn't going to risk shooting an attack spell when her allies and enemies were clustered together. Still, she could at least do something.

For the second time that morning, Molly spoke the words and evoked the burst of light, this time making it appear in front of the bandit that was fighting the monk and the summoned eagle.

Casting 'Flare' at Armed Man 4, the one fighting Liam and the eagle. No need to worry about attacks of opportunity this time, and I have no real reason to move.

Current Table. (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35572)

Tsriel
2013-06-24, 04:48 PM
Saving Throw

[roll0]

Once again Molly conjures another burst of sensory overwhelming light. It goes off without a hitch save for the fact that the intended target is still actively fighting.

Tsriel
2013-06-24, 04:52 PM
Meanwhile, the driver is still dealing with his restful slumber along with the horse. They continue to sleep as if nothing could go wrong, even with Skye standing next to the driver, spear in his face.

Molly's familiar, Jules has received initiative!
Current Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35572)

Fangren
2013-06-24, 05:10 PM
No sooner had he left Mistress' side did Jules hear some loud shout from where Mistress. It definitely wasn't Mistress, but she did seem to be a bit shocked, so Jules decided to turn around and check it out.

He slowly, quietly peeked out from behind the building, and as stealthily as he could he dashed forward to one of those weird sitting-log-things.

Stealth check: [roll0] (+8 for being Tiny, +2 for Dex)

Two move actions at half speed or less for no penalty to stealth.

Current Table. (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35576)

Zorren's turn.

NikolaTesla
2013-06-24, 06:58 PM
His opponent finished, Zorren slipped past Skye to where the rest of the fighting was going on. What should be his luck but to come across another bandit with it's back turned! He charged up to the bandit, and with a leap fired a powerful kick at the base of the bandit's head.

Zorren is flanking with Liam, so this is a sneak attack and he has a +2 bonus to hit. In addition, he is charging, so he gains another +2 bonus to hit and a -2 penalty on his AC till his next turn,

Attack Roll:[roll0]

Unarmed Strike Damage: [roll1]
Sneak Attack Damage: [roll2]
Total Damage:10

New Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35579)

Next up is Thug 3 and then Liam.

Tsriel
2013-06-25, 07:21 AM
His opponent finished, Zorren slipped past Skye to where the rest of the fighting was going on. What should be his luck but to come across another bandit with it's back turned! He charged up to the bandit, and with a leap fired a powerful kick at the base of the bandit's head.

Zorren is flanking with Liam, so this is a sneak attack and he has a +2 bonus to hit. In addition, he is charging, so he gains another +2 bonus to hit and a -2 penalty on his AC till his next turn,

Attack Roll:[roll0]

Unarmed Strike Damage: [roll1]
Sneak Attack Damage: [roll2]
Total Damage:10

New Map (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35579)

Next up is Thug 3 and then Liam.

Zorren's tactics prove effective as a swift kick takes consciousness from his flanked foe.

Liam has received initiative!
Current Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35611)

18th Avenger
2013-06-25, 12:30 PM
Things To Remember
Move Action: Adjacent to Armed Thug#3
Standrd Action: Disarm
Target: Armed Thug#3
To Hit: Disarm: Post#3 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288454)
As far as Liam could tell, this encounter was clearly in the bag. All that was left was Halendor's opponent, who seemed to be fighting desperately in an attempt to get away.

The monk easily strode towards him. To be honest, Liam thought as he reached for the thug's sword to pull it out of his grasp. I'd be running too, if it were me. With the weapon firmly in hand, Liam shifted his grip and began to twist the weapon away.

Tsriel
2013-06-26, 07:21 AM
Liam's cat-like reflexes strip away the bandit's blade from his grip, leaving only humiliation and a stupid looking grin. He attempts to climb over the cart that's in his way of escape, drawing opportunity for both Halendor and Liam.

Current Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35611)

18th Avenger
2013-06-27, 02:46 AM
Things to Remember
Standard Action: Unarmed Strike
Target: Unarmed Thug#3
To Hit/Damage: Result (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15510149#post15510149)
New Table (http://pyromancers.com/media/view/main.swf?round_id=35844)
As the bandit attempted to escape from their wrath by climbing over the wagon, Liam literally sprang to action. With an easy-looking twitch of his lower body, the young monk took the air, his foot lashing out in a sharp kick to the thug's jaw.

Philemonite
2013-06-28, 04:17 AM
Halendor smiled as the thug tried to pass him.
"Why such a hurry?" he asked as he raised his hand and tried to the thug with his blade.

Attack [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Tsriel
2013-06-28, 04:14 PM
As Liam strikes the thug from behind at the base of his skull, a well-placed rapier strike punctures his midsection, causing a rapid sputtering of blood from the wound. This foe is quick to lose conciousness.

END COMBAT

A short while later, the driver finally comes to. He looks around in horror and panic as his allies lie defeated or dead while the rest of you surround him with spears and blades (and fists) drawn.

18th Avenger
2013-06-28, 08:12 PM
"Care for a spot of breakfast?" Liam asked politely as if caught by a guest when he'd just come from one of his morning routines. "The bread's still fresh at around this time. Throw down some of those elk sausages and maybe some eggs and milk. There are worse ways to start the day."

He smiled brightly up at the driver, as if the monk didn't just trounce two of the driver's allies in oddly humiliating ways. He remembered that he still had the sword in hand and casually dropped it. Liam then made his way towards the man and helped him down (which is to say he grabbed the reins while the man was still staring at them goggle-eyed and pulled him to the ground by the front of his tunic).

Tsriel
2013-06-29, 01:48 AM
The driver goes wide-eyed as he's slammed to the ground. Oleg, who had ran for cover and watched from a distance, finally came out of his hiding spot to rejoin the group. The driver looks around while pinned to the ground and sees him.

"**** you, old man," he growls through gritted teeth, "When they realize I'm not coming back, more will come. They will take what they want. Even your lovely little wife."

He cackles at the rest of you.

"They'll kill the men and rape the women. The six of you won't be nearly enough to defend this place. You'll never get out of this alive!"

mistformsquirrl
2013-06-29, 04:43 AM
Chimi steps toward the swearing driver, scythe poised. She slips the blade underneath his neck, but takes care not to actually cut him... yet.

"Sir" she grins ear to ear while staring him in the eyes "Given how very very easily we put your men down here, and hehe given that I haven't even begun to have my fun yet... given that I haven't even displayed the barest fraction of what I can do yet, what odds do you really think your pathetic bandits really have against us?"

Chimi casts Mage Hand, and her smile softens ever so slightly, becoming almost... amorous, though probably in fact more disturbing now than before.

Slowly she works the invisible hand up the inside of his leg to his unmentionables.

"I do hope your men have the, aha, balls, for such an operation. I'll enjoy every minute." She squeezes him telekinetically, gently at first but slowly ramping it up to the maximum force a Mage Hand spell can deliver, twisting and crushing his nethers as much as possible. She laughs, just a bit, then dismisses the mage hand spell.

Chimi is using Intimidate on him. She's also immensely disturbed by his threat and has decided to give him a taste of his own medicine just to ratchet up the intimidation factor. Believe it or not she's really not enjoying this at all.

Intimidation roll 1d20+9[/roll

Fangren
2013-06-29, 12:54 PM
The skirmish had only lasted a few seconds before the bandits had all been taken care of. Although Molly was relieved that she, Jules, and her new-found companions hadn't been hurt, she was incredibly frustrated that she hadn't been able to do anything useful. Both of flares she'd used had been utterly ineffective, and had it not been for her allies she'd probably have been...

Molly shook her head, forcing those thoughts, as well as thoughts of the bandit's threat, from her head. It was terrifying, but it would not happen. She would do better next time, and she wouldn't have to be saved.

Collecting herself, she looked around for her cute familiar. Not seeing where he'd run off to, but knowing he was feeling worried, she gave a quick whistle. "Jules! You can come out now!" From behind the other picnic table, the Compsognathus peeked his head up and gave a short chirp. In seconds, he'd dashed to his mistress' side.

Molly took the little dinosaur to sit at the table he'd just come from, trying to get some more distance from the thug who'd attacked her. With one hand she rubbed Jules, the two reassuring each other, and with the other hand she prepared to...deal...with her attacker, should he make another threatening move.

She smiled at Chimi's counter-threat. Men like those were terrifying, and as far as Molly was concerned they didn't deserve their lives.

Philemonite
2013-06-29, 01:09 PM
The battle was over quickly, and Halendor was a bit disappointed that he didn't have a chance to show everything he can do. Still, a victory is a victory. He was about to check if anyone was injured, but Chimi's little display caught his attention and he decided to have some fun of his own. He approached the bandit leader trying to hide the smile on his face.
"Well, this is a problem. I don't really know her that well, but she is really creepy, and I hate to think what she might do to you. Now, I can't promise anything, but I might be able to calm her down if I get your full cooperation."

Diplomacy roll, just for fun.
[roll0]

18th Avenger
2013-06-30, 12:54 AM
As he watched Chimi and her exetrion of arcane forces, Liam had that particular expression of bland cheerfulness that usually served to mask an uninterrupted stream of internal screaming.

But that wasn't the only thing that bothered the young unworldly monk. He snapped back to reality then turned to Oleg and asked him if he could spare a few yards of rope. "We can't have your guests underfoot." Then Liam turned and knelt by the man, whose morning had just gotten infinitely worse.

"My friend Halendor here has the right of the matter. None of us honestly want any trouble and goodsir Oleg and goodwife Svetlana deserve none of that. They're only folks making their own way in the world. Surely you can see a big fight is not something any of us want."

Diplomacy - Aid Another
[roll0]

Gruzzle
2013-06-30, 08:48 AM
Skye steps back from the crush around the driver, and moves to the top of the building Zorren was on top of earlier, keeping a look out for any "friends" that may be arriving unexpectedly early.

NikolaTesla
2013-07-01, 01:05 AM
Zorren listened to the interrogation from the other side of the cart where he quietly climbed in, taking advantage of the driver's temporary distress as a distraction. He chuckled to himself a little as he listened to the different tactics being used, harmonizing surprisingly well, but he quickly got to business going through the contents of the cart.

Tsriel
2013-07-01, 03:51 PM
The driver grunts in pain while maintaining a chuckle and a coy smirk.

"You can't threaten me with a good time. Do your worst."

Meanwhile, Zorren inspects the cart and finds it completely empty. Skye repositions himself just in time to see a small cloud of dust in the distance. It appears to be horses with riders.

Gruzzle
2013-07-03, 10:23 AM
"Heads up, my friends" Skye calls from the rooftop. "Riders are approaching on the horizon. I estimate they're about five or ten minutes out. Might want to ask our new-found compatriot if he's expecting company..."

Tsriel
2013-07-03, 05:52 PM
Your newfound compatriot laughs with delight. "See? Right on time."

(Inconspicious die rolls)

Skye continues to look out over the advancing group (Taking 20 with Perception) with the rest of the party checking over the defeated foes. You find that two of them has stopped breathing, the others are alive but in bad shape. On each of the men are masterwork longswords, masterwork studded leather armor, masterwork longbows, 80 arrows, and 40 gold pieces.

After a few minutes, you can make out what appears to be a banner. It has the look of yellow and blue checkered background with a silver colored lion poised in a striking action.

Knowledge Local or Nobility
(assuming Skye announces what he sees)

mistformsquirrl
2013-07-04, 06:02 AM
Chimi waits patiently for the new arrivals, ignoring the jerk lest she split him open.

18th Avenger
2013-07-04, 06:33 AM
Liam looked up at Skye's called warning, his boyish face serious.

There is not enough time to prepare for anything, his mind cried out at him. By all that's holy this is the end!

And that was as for as he allowed himself to dwell on that line. He looked up at Skye, who was watching the so-called approaching cloud of horsemen with interest. Then at Chimi, who was simply standing around, waiting on the promise of more bloodshed. Liam coughed and turned to those who remained. "Everyone, we don't have enough time! Get the carriage across the entrance, make it as narrow and annoying to enter! Tie up those more or less alive! We've to try and ready this place for defense!"

The monk in blue started to move, intent on grabbing more rope to help tie up those bandits who might be a problem in the coming proceedings.

Gruzzle
2013-07-04, 01:04 PM
Once he's certain of the banner's content, Skye will shout down the details, see if anyone has an inkling of what it represents, while he mulls it over himself.

Knowledge Local [roll0]

Tsriel
2013-07-04, 04:07 PM
Molly & Skye
Both of you recognize the coat of arms as guardsmen from Brevoy. Possibly from the town of Restov, the closest town available from Oleg's Trading Post and the Greenbelt.

Zorren
These men have the colors of the Lord Regent of Brevoy. These are likely his men.

Fangren
2013-07-04, 04:56 PM
It had only taken less than a minute for Molly to become convinced that the bandits were no longer a threat. In her boredom, she and Jules began walking around, giving the fallen bandits a glance to see if they had anything particularly interesting on their persons. It was a disappointing effort, as all they had were weapons and armor, useless to a young wizard, and some gold pieces.

With little better to do, she looked out to where Skye had seen approaching riders in the distance. Liam had begun tying up the remaining bandits, but Molly was too busy figuring out who their latest guests were.

"Brevan guardsmen?" she said, brow furrowed. Her eyes widened as something clicked, and she turned back to face the driver with a cold look on her face. "It looks like your allies aren't coming after all."

Tsriel
2013-07-04, 06:09 PM
(Inconspicious die rolls)

The color drains notably from the driver's face as you see his jaw tighten and his brow furl.

"Fine," he bluntly states, "I'll make you a deal. I'll tell you where the rest of the bandits are camped in exchange for my freedom."

Oleg growls angrily, "Why you backstabbing curr! After all you've done, you just expect to get away?"

"Shut up, old man," the driver snaps back, "I know when I'm beat. None of those bastards are worth dying for."

18th Avenger
2013-07-05, 12:16 AM
Liam looked up from tying up a bandit.

"Brevan guardsmen?" He let out a breath of relief as he finished up on the last bandit. "Thank heaven."

He pulled up his current prisoner and sat heavily on his back, looking at the collection of strangers he'd only just met a few days ago. "We did good. All of us." Liam smiled brightly.

Gruzzle
2013-07-05, 11:45 AM
Skye grins and sighs, as he recognizes the riders' colors. He squats down comfortably on the rooftop, and remains on guard for further approaches, none the less.

Philemonite
2013-07-08, 07:20 AM
"So, what do we do now? We can take his offer and hope he doesn't betray us, or hand him to the Brevan guardsmen. What ever we do we should make the decision quick, before the guards arrive."

Gruzzle
2013-07-08, 09:57 AM
Skye walks to the edge of the roof top and sits down, legs dangling over the edge. "Hey!" He offers a friendly grin to the driver, "I have a counter-offer, scum." He says cheerfully with the grin still on his face, "How about you tell us and we'll put in a good word for you with the guardsmen? Because you are going to answer for your crimes. Frankly, you fools drove a horse-drawn cart here. I could track that back to where you came from in my sleep, so we don't NEED your help. You NEED to help us though. You'll feel better after you do, son. Come on now, tell us what you know." He shifts his head to the side as if to listen intently.

mistformsquirrl
2013-07-08, 02:17 PM
Chimi has been pacing back and forth in place, almost scowling while deep in thought.

"I agree with that plan... tracking the wagon back should be easy, and I don't want this kind of excrement running loose. I'm tempted to just feed him to one of my pets, to be honest; but that would not be very nice and I should not think that way. Tempted though." She glares at the man, no trace of her usual dark whimsy on her face.

Philemonite
2013-07-08, 02:28 PM
Halendor puled out both of his blades and smiled.
"You know, I could just have some fun with him until he tells me everything. There aren't many people who know how deep to cut without leaving any permanent damage, but I'm one of them."
He pauses for a second.
"That is, if you guys agree, I wouldn't wanna do anything that group is against." He added.

Intimidate roll, just for fun [roll0]

Fangren
2013-07-08, 03:44 PM
Molly stayed by the cart, alternating her attention between the approaching riders and her companions. Their attempts to intimidate the bandit-driver were certainly amusing, regardless of what they got from him. She privately agreed with Skye's plan of just tracking the cart's trail back to the bandit camp if possible, but was smart enough to know additional information would only help them. With nothing to add, though, she stayed silent.

Jules, meanwhile, had gotten bored again. He'd already investigated most of the area, and had finally turned his attention towards those strange men who had attacked. They hadn't moved in quite some time, so he thought it would be safe to give them a sniff.

NikolaTesla
2013-07-08, 09:46 PM
Zorren leaned over the driver so that he was upside down by his perspective. "If you can track the cart, I see no reason to bandy with this guy at all."

18th Avenger
2013-07-09, 11:32 AM
At Halendor's prompting of any objections, Liam raised his hand. "I honestly think there's no need for torture..."

Throughout the 'interrogation', instead of internally screaming, he was basically hoping none of what he was hearing from the others was true.

Rising from his sitting position, his boyish face was furrowed in thought. These men had threatened Oleg and Svetlana with the eventual loss of their livelihood (a great loss, the monk thought sincerely) and had even attempted to kill them. But he wasn't exactly sure if those warranted the poor treatment his new comrades were displaying. They won, with the only loss of life being on the bandits' side. Surely, that was enough, right?

"If we can track them, let's leave it at that." Liam looked at the bandit coolly. "We shouldn't make deals with scum."

Intimidate
[roll0]

Fangren
2013-07-09, 08:31 PM
Watching the incoming Brevans, Molly was hit with a sudden thought. Without saying a word, she slipped back towards the guest house, and where she'd left most of her current belongings. It had occurred to the young wizard that the Brevan guardsmen may want proof of who Molly and her associates were; and even if they didn't, it couldn't hurt to be prepared.

Quickly retrieving her copy of the Charter from her scroll case, Molly went back out to sit at the tables, facing the gate.

NikolaTesla
2013-07-13, 12:35 AM
Zorren is struck with a sudden thought: "Hey, guys? How are we going make sure the Brevan guardsman don't arrest us for being bandits that just murdered two people from a lone wagon and beating up the rest?

Gruzzle
2013-07-13, 03:10 PM
Skye blanches for a moment before smiling again, "I think our Charters will suffice to prove our intent and permissions, my friend."

18th Avenger
2013-07-13, 07:52 PM
"And even without the charters, they hit us first," Liam added. He gestured towards the first man he and Chimi's eagle put down, who was bound in an embarrassing kind of manner. "That one right there just lunged at me while I was playing my flute. Besides," The monk's eyes flashed briefly. "We have the testimony of Master Oleg and Goodwife Svetlana." He nodded. "We're in the right, you all mark me."

Philemonite
2013-07-14, 04:15 AM
Halendor was watching the discussion and he couldn't get rid of one simple thought that was in the back of his mind. After some thinking he decided to share it with the group.
"Are we even sure those are Brevoy guardsmen? If this bandits are so numerous and organized enough, then assaulting a patrol would not be such a big problem for them. I hope I'm wrong, but we should be prepared for worst."

Tsriel
2013-08-02, 06:12 PM
After much group delegation, the guardsmen rumble into the training post. The men appear visibly aghast at the carnage laid out before them. The driver grits his teeth as the men from Brevoy stride in. In a mix of calculated cleverness and desperation, a cunning idea comes to his mind.

"Thank the gods you're here! These thieves were going to kill me!"

Before Oleg could even object, one of the riders, a man in his late 30s to early 40s wearing a notably dinged, yet polished suit of breastplate armor adorned with the markings of someone prominence in rank dismounts from his steed.

"Is that so?" The commander states in a sardonic tone. Without having to issue a single order, the rest of the men seal off all exits, effectively trapping the group inside the trading post. "Here, let me help release you from your bonds, Happs...and straight into hell!"

Happs's face turns instantly flush as a sword removes it along with the rest of his head from his shoulders. He then turns his attention back to the party. "I hope the rest of you got somethin' to say who ye are. Otherwise, ye might as well kneel now so we can get this over wit."

Fangren
2013-08-02, 07:06 PM
Immediately, Molly dashed forwards, clutching her copy of the Charter. Forcing down her anxiety, she handed it to the man who was apparently in charge of the group. "I am Molly de Thukyd," she began, "and we are one of the groups commissioned to explore the Stolen Lands. That Charter is my proof." She pauses, waiting for the man to answer, or for her companions to do something.

NikolaTesla
2013-08-02, 07:34 PM
Zorren also holds out his rolled up charter, but doesn't bother getting closer. "She's right, commissioned to explore these lands and begin the process of making them livable, including dispatching bandits like these."

18th Avenger
2013-08-04, 12:40 AM
"My commission is back in the guest room, lord, but these good people can vouch for me." Liam was holding both his hands up in a gesture of submission.

When the leader of the Brevan guardsmen had lopped off the bandit's head, the young monk's face briefly lit up in fear and horror before he mastered it. "There are others we've managed to dispatch with no need for harsher action. Them, you can interrogate."

Gruzzle
2013-08-04, 05:02 PM
"Well that concluded fast." Skye mused, looking on while sitting crosslegged near the edge of the roof. "I, too, have a charter in the guest house."

Philemonite
2013-08-05, 03:43 AM
"I have a charter too, I would be happy to show it to you, if you so desire." Halendor said, trying to hide his surprise and fear.
"And you are welcome." He added with a smile, trying to remind the commander that they have helped him.

mistformsquirrl
2013-08-06, 12:52 AM
Chimi produces a slightly rumpled piece of parchment (her charter), but doesn't say much, just giving the guardsman a sour face.

Tsriel
2013-08-06, 04:01 AM
After examining everyone's written credentials, the commander eyed everyone over like a reprimanding father.

"The name's Sargeant Kresten Garess. I command this dispatch of troops to hold the fort, leaving the rest of you to do your duties. Fine piece of work you did today, but let me give you abit of advice... These lands are cutthroat. Mercy, like keeping bandits alive, will only get you killed in the long run. If something happens to you, no one will come to aid you. You're on your own out here. You are the law. I suggest you all start acting like it."

Briefly, the commander turns from the group to issue orders to secure the trading post and to dig graves outside the trading post walls for the slain bandits. With orders given, he turns his attention back to the group only to inform you that he needs to go assist his men. Before leaving, he also tells you that a group of tethered horses are nearby off the road. Sargeant Kresten didn't think that their owners would be needing them anytime soon. Oleg, thrilled that the bandit menace has been neutralized for now, runs up to the group.

"Oy, you folks gave those bandits what for! My wife and I are in your debt. Anytime you need to trade supplies or a place to stay for the night, you're always welcome to stay here free of charge. We'll be happy to buy whatever goods you bring here to trade too. Oh, and there's also this!"

Oleg hands Halador a moderately sized bag. Inside the bag contains 100 gold pieces and three potions (2 Cure Light Wounds potions and 1 Shield of Faith +2). The bag itself is a type II Bag of Holding.

With the bandit problem at the trading post resolved, the group can now continue it's primary mission, exploring the Greenbelt.

NikolaTesla
2013-08-06, 10:37 AM
Zorren grins widely as the bag and it's contents are inspected. Thank you very much Oleg! I have no doubt that we'll make great use of these very soon.

He turns to the group. Well then, let's get down to business.

"Our primary goal is to explore and chart this wilderness, eventually allowing it to be settled. But in order to get people willing to live here, we have to eliminate the dangers to the common people who cannot defend themselves." He pauses for a moment, looking at each party member. "I think we all know what the biggest threat to potential residents is, case in point being this trading post's situation before today. And personally I'd like to minimize our chances of being stabbed in our sleep."

Philemonite
2013-08-06, 11:03 AM
Halendor takes the bag while thanking to Oleg and then turns towards the others and asks with a smile:
"Did you guys promote me into a group leader while I wasn't looking?
Or, am I just a treasurer and spokesman?" He adds, still smiling.

18th Avenger
2013-08-07, 10:08 AM
The young monk tried to say something about how they were only doing what any one else would have done but was talked over by Oleg's effusive praise. Instead he said, "So long as you and Svetlana keep cooking that way you do, that'll be thanks enough."

To Halendor, he said, "You're the most personable out of us, Master Halendor," the monk gave one of his customary smiles. "That gives you plenty of pull, I believe."

"But on the matter at hand, I share Master Zorren's opinion. We keep up with exploring the 'Belt. While we're at it, we try to hunt out the bandits or even those kobolds mentioned on the board."

Fangren
2013-08-07, 08:27 PM
Taking back her copy of the charter, Molly listens to the group's discussion of what to do next. Silently, she agrees with Zorren - the exploration of the area will be much more enjoyable without the threat of organized banditry looming over their heads. If that means she has to take a life, then so be it.

She does not voice her opinion, though, feeling no great need to do so unsolicited. Instead, she devotes her mental energy towards planning ahead.

Incidentally, Jules was somewhat afraid of all the Brevan guards, and retreated to the bed Molly had slept in last night. He is currently taking a nap.

Gruzzle
2013-08-08, 06:20 PM
Skye has hopped down from the roof, and smiles passively while offering agreeable nods throughout the exchange. He seems content with the direction the others are proposing.

18th Avenger
2013-08-08, 10:13 PM
"Well, seeing as that's past us," began Liam, flexing his fingers and stretching his arms. "I figure we should get going. Day is long, after all." The monk turned to Chim, who'd been stewing sullenly since the action wound down.

""Miss Chimi? What do you think?"

Tsriel
2013-08-10, 07:24 PM
OOC: Keeping the game flowing on the account of Mistformsqurrl's message in her siggy

"Well, seeing as that's past us," began Liam, flexing his fingers and stretching his arms. "I figure we should get going. Day is long, after all." The monk turned to Chim, who'd been stewing sullenly since the action wound down.

""Miss Chimi? What do you think?"

Chimi doesn't say anything, but the dour look on her face tells you enough. She'd be happy to leave as it seems like she has taken a disdain towards Sargeant Krestin.

18th Avenger
2013-08-11, 12:06 PM
Whoops, shoulda paid attention.
Liam took note of her silence and left it at that. Much as he tried to keep relations friendly with the group, Chimi still seemed too much of a wild card.

Clapping his hands once he turned back to the group. "Shall we get on, then? If we hurry, it'll be easier to track those bandits back to their hideout while we map the 'Belt. And if we do," his face flashed briefly. "Persuade them to take up better occupations..."

He then went to grab his backpack and things for the journey ahead.

Philemonite
2013-08-12, 05:05 AM
Halendor was surprised by monk's answer, he wasn't used to being appreciated for his talents. The expression of slight confusion changed to an evil grin, as he hears the comments of his companions.
"I like that idea, my blades can be very persuasive."

Fangren
2013-08-14, 08:03 PM
"Very well." Molly whispers to herself before returning to her belongings. Smiling softly at her sleeping familiar, she gently wakes him up. "We'll be on the road again soon, Jules. Many new things to see and hear and smell." The dinosaur chirrups, and hops to the floor. Silently, Molly replaces the Charter amongst her other things, and takes inventory.

If I'm right, that bag should prove very useful. she thinks to herself. I should really put some of my extra clothes in it, they've been weighing me down the past few days. Having checked everything else, the young mage puts on her backpack and with her old outfit in her arms, returns to the group.

She quickly approaches out Halendor, who still holds the bag. "That is a bag of holding, correct?" She asks of Oleg before returning her gaze first to the bag in question, and then to the bard. "May I put these extra clothes in it? I don't want the weight slowing me down."

Tsriel
2013-08-15, 01:38 AM
"Yes Ma'am. That should prove useful in carrying whatever it is you might find out there. Just remember, whatever you bring back here to sell to 'ol Oleg will cut you a square deal!"

Oleg beamed with pride at his statement, still glowing from happiness that the party had taken care of their bandit problem and that his trading post would now be guarded by trained soldiers. A part of him wished it wasn't men from Brevoy and that they were his personal guards. He thought to himself that maybe someday, in good time.

18th Avenger
2013-08-19, 01:33 PM
A few minutes later, Liam had returned to the grounds with his backpack hiked up.

"If nothing's keeping us, I think it's time we be on our way, right?" The young monk smiled and jogged in place for a few minutes. "Day's quite young and plenty to do, after all."

Gruzzle
2013-08-20, 07:24 PM
"Indeed, lets set forth!" Skye says, packed and ready to go.

Tsriel
2013-09-08, 05:06 AM
*tons of inconspicuous die rolls*

Heading out from the safety of Oleg's Trading Post, and taking the advice of Sergeant Kresten, you head a ways down the road west to claim the deceased bandits horses (light horses, five in total) and begin following the trail leading southward on the outskirts of the forest.

The day goes by uneventful. As dusk approaches, you come across a radish field in an arrowhead shaped clearing. Skye identifies these as Moon Radishes. They are spicy to taste, but a delicacy when prepared properly. Especially so to kobolds.

Shortly after, the party discovers just that. Four kobolds lie on their back in the field. Their bellies protruding outward as if they had eaten too much.

New Map

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/shinmafox/Greenbelt_zps64bdc98b.png (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/shinmafox/media/Greenbelt_zps64bdc98b.png.html)

18th Avenger
2013-09-09, 09:06 AM
At his place near the head of the group, Liam spied the sleeping humanoids and silently called a halt. It was past time for a break anyway, now that they had horses.

"They appear to be asleep, so it wouldn't take much to get past them." Liam noted as he rubbed his horse's strong neck. The young monk was already thinking of a name for the animal.

NikolaTesla
2013-09-21, 09:03 PM
So, do we slit their throats, chase them off, or pull a "Take me to your Leader"?