PDA

View Full Version : Best build for fighter (D&D 3.5)

mohammed315
2013-06-11, 01:05 PM
Hi everyone

I play with a bunch of friends a custom campaign of DnD. My archivist died last game and I now want to try the fighter class. In the group, we have a Warmage, a Cleric/Warpriest, a Monk, a Rogue/Assassin and a Wizard focused on everything but evocation.

So a tank seemed like a good idea.

My character would start at level 8, and I think getting only fighter level isn't the best of ideas. So what would you recommend? Which feats should I use? Which prestige classes are interesting and rewarding?

Fyi, here are my stats

Race: human

Strenght: 18
Dexterity: 16
Constitution: 15
Intelligence: 14
Wisdom: 13
Charisma: 12

(Oh and if someone think I should move around these values, go ahead)

P.S. I almost forgot: We are a neutral-aligned group, with some good-aligned elements.

Silvanoshei
2013-06-11, 01:14 PM
Hi everyone

I play with a bunch of friends a custom campaign of DnD. My archivist died last game and I now want to try the fighter class. In the group, we have a Warmage, a Cleric/Warpriest, a Monk, a Rogue/Assassin and a Wizard focused on everything but evocation.

So a tank seemed like a good idea.

My character would start at level 8, and I think getting only fighter level isn't the best of ideas. So what would you recommend? Which feats should I use? Which prestige classes are interesting and rewarding?

Fyi, here are my stats

Race: human

Strenght: 18
Dexterity: 16
Constitution: 15
Intelligence: 14
Wisdom: 13
Charisma: 12

(Oh and if someone think I should move around these values, go ahead)

P.S. I almost forgot: We are a neutral-aligned group, with some good-aligned elements.

You should go here (http://diceofdoom.com/blog/2009/11/powergaming-making-a-powerful-fighter-or-monk-in-core-3-5-dd/).

Happy gaming. :smallredface:

kreenlover
2013-06-11, 01:21 PM
or go warblade.

eggynack
2013-06-11, 01:21 PM
You can run straight fighter and still be halfway optimal. You just need the help of fancy ACF's. The first is dungeon crasher from dungeonscape. It basically lets you bull rush your enemies into walls for damage, and keeps the fighter viable till level 6. The second is zhentarim soldier from the champions of valor web enhancement. Unlike dungeon crasher, which trades away two feats, zhentarim soldier is a pure gain. It makes the fighter into one of the most impressive bases for an intimidation build in the game, and keeps the fighter running to level 9. For tanking, you're generally going to want a combat reflexes tripping build. That means improved trip, knock down, combat reflexes, and maybe EWP: spiked chain. You can probably add on a standard power attack and shock trooper build without losing much. Along that route, I'd advise a two level dip into barbarian for pounce, whirling frenzy, and prerequisiteless improved trip.

Medic!
2013-06-11, 01:26 PM
If you want to be a "tank" and have access to Tome of Battle, take a good hard look at the Crusader class, there's pretty much no way to "do it wrong" and it's a ton of fun right out of the box. One thing to look at with your DM is fixing the stance progression so it lines up with when you have access to your new stances though.

mohammed315
2013-06-11, 02:14 PM
Along that route, I'd advise a two level dip into barbarian for pounce, whirling frenzy, and prerequisiteless improved trip.

Okay, I found the book where they talk about whirling frenzy, but for Pounce, all I can find is feats that require shapeshifting. As for the prerquisiteless improved trip, could you just explain to me how that is? Is that a part of a variant of the core barbarian class?

And thanks to everybody for the answer, I am using all your answers to build something that, I hope, will be decent

eggynack
2013-06-11, 02:20 PM
Okay, I found the book where they talk about whirling frenzy, but for Pounce, all I can find is feats that require shapeshifting. As for the prerquisiteless improved trip, could you just explain to me how that is? Is that a part of a variant of the core barbarian class?

And thanks to everybody for the answer, I am using all your answers to build something that, I hope, will be decent
You get improved trip from the wolf totem ACF, which is in unearthed arcana. Pounce is in complete champion, and you get it from the spirit lion totem ACF. Barbarians get sweet ACF's.

Sir_Thaddeus
2013-06-11, 02:22 PM

Pounce comes from the Spiritual Totem ACF in Complete Champion. Pick an animal, get cool abilities from trading away Fast Movement. Lion Totem gives Pounce. It's a pretty good trade.
Improved Trip comes from the Totem Barbarian variant class in Unearthed Arcana. Again, pick an animal, get abilities in exchange for other abilities. Wolf Totem gives Improved Trip as a bonus feat at 2nd level and Track as a bonus feat at 5th level in exchange for uncanny dodge, trap sense, and improved uncanny dodge.
So, a 2-level dip in Barbarian can net you Pounce and Improved Trip. Overall, a good deal.

EDIT: Accursed ninjas!

Gavinfoxx
2013-06-11, 02:31 PM
A tank is a great idea!

However, Fighter is a terrible, terrible tank.

You want a class like Crusader, Cleric, Druid, or Warblade to be a good Tank. Barbarians are decent tanks too.

For example, in core only, THIS is a good tank, since they can lock down enemies and prevent them from attacking their allies:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415

Or just Druid, be an armored bear with a pet armored bear who summons 1d3 unarmored bears; by level 8, you can be Wild Shaped 24/7 with essentially no problems.

Archivist can be a great tank, IF you do it correctly, which means 'lots of buff spells'. See this:

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=363718

As an example.

ArcturusV
2013-06-11, 02:31 PM
It sounds like, from the class mix, you're not exactly playing an ultra high powered game either. So you don't need to quite go all out on things with a solid Lock Down Tripper to be effective. Having a Fighter -> Zhent ACFs, into something like a Scarlet Corsair PrC can be fun. Won't be "OMG!" effective. But you will have a lot of fear on the table, and be able to fear lock entire areas at once.

Similarly you could run something like Monk 2/Ranger 2/Barbarian 2 into Leviathan Hunter, "tank" via suplexing Dragons into the ground and the like.

Eslin
2013-06-11, 02:46 PM
If you're going to take a bunch of levels in fighter be a changeling and take kobold fighter substitution levels for bonus stats =D

Malroth
2013-06-11, 03:09 PM
"Tank" as in I take hits meant for the party, is not a valid party role. A wand of cure light wounds is a better damage sponge than a fighter of any level. Fighters however can make either great damage sources via dungeon crasher or decent crowd control via improved trip, Just be aware you're at the point in the game where both Huge damage numbers and the ability to knock something down are both beginning to become irrelevant. If you're not 100% dedicated to being a member of the "fighter" class I'd strongly recommend being a bard4/crusader 4 focusing on white raven maneuvers and Inspire Courage optimization to be both a fearsome melee presence and a useful skill monkey as well as a solid buffer.

Immabozo
2013-06-11, 04:37 PM
Contrary to what most of the advice in this thread gives you, I beg to differ. Fighter can be very effective tank and damage dealer, both.

Take a large race. Half Ogre and Half Minotaur from Dragon Magazine are the best candidites, if your DM will approve them. They are easily balanced (or at least brought closer to balance) by forgetting the "in addition to size increases as per the monster's manual". Since both of those are templates, you can still choose a race, like Human for another feat.

Str 15
Dex 16
Con 18
Int 14
Wis 13
Cha 12

Combat Reflexes, Power Attack, Leap Attack, Imp. Bullrush, Shocktrooper, Knockback, Imp. Sunder (you might be able to get your DM to let you forgo this prereq for not being able to execute the "Sundering Cleave" combat maneuver), Combat Brute and Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Minotaur Greathammer) - 8 or 9 feats.

Fighter 6/Barbarian 1 (Whirling and Spirit Lion Totem ACF) grants 8 feats (4 from character levels, 4 class levels) full BAB, pounce, Rage 1/day that grants str and other goodies.

Minotaur Greathammer sized to a large creature, 3D6 +1 1/2 str 19-20 X3

Attack:

(at level 11, assuming about a 4 LA/RHD, allowing Fighter 6/Barbarian 1)

Assuming a str of 24 (28 raging, nat 15, +8 racial, +1 for level, +4 rage), Armbands of Might (MIC, pg 72) +2 damage if a -2 or more penalty is taken while using power attack.

Rage, charge, pounce, +14/+14/+9 damage 3D6 +13 (str) +23 (power attack + Armbands of Might, taking a -7 to AC from Shocktrooper) any landed blows are eligible for a knockback bullrush, +9 (str) +4 (size, assuming large) +14 (power attack, its not RAW, but allowing the extra bonus from using a 2 handed weapon seems to allow a very compelling RAI arguement that your leap attack, Armbands of Might and, next round, combat brute, should also stack their bonuses, too) you will be throwing anybody around, with a +27 bullrush modifier, or a +36 bullrush if your DM allows the above argument.

Shock trooper will allow you to throw them into others (I once used a fellow PC that i had a grudge against and kept trying to backstab me outside combat) and trip both involved. Or guide them off cliffs, or into fire, off the side of the boat, or other hazards.

Round 2:

Charge, pounce, against the same target, +1 to hit and damage per 5 feet you push the target back, +14/+14/+9 damage 3D6 +13 (str) +30 (full 7 power attack + 2 Armbands of Might + 7 combat brute + 7 leap attack, taking a -7 to AC from Shocktrooper).

knockback bullrush, +9 (str) +4 (size, assuming large) +14 (power attack, 30 if the above argument is allowed) you will be throwing anybody around, with a +27 bullrush modifier, or a +43 bullrush if your DM allows the above argument.

Anyone who provokes any of your 4 AoO is likewise thrown around, if pushed pack farther than your reach and then they have to take more than a 5 foot step to attack you, provoking another AoO, as well as getting another +1 to hit and damage against that target (cumulative against the same target) for each square you push them back.

The higher levels makes these number bigger, with bigger bonuses, a 3:1 Power attack ratio with a 4:1 gets a TON juicier with higher BAB, which can likewise, increase to-hit by a ton.

ArcturusV
2013-06-11, 04:49 PM
I disagree with "Fighter can be a good tank". I say this because the term Tank refers to something that doesn't really happen in DnD outside of your DM deciding by handwave that it happens. Or possibly in solo enemy encounters and something like Grapple Lockdown.

To be a Tank means you're taking hits for the team. This is usually done in RPG video games by having skills that make people target you, or gives them penalties for NOT targeting you. And only works against dumb AI mobs for the most part that auto lock onto "Whatever enemy is closest".

But in DnD nothing is THAT dumb, excepting possibly Mindless creatures like Zombies and Skeletons. Even 1 Int Animals know better than to just attack the guy that's sitting there bouncing the animal's attacks instead of the guy who is actually hurting it.

Not only that, what things exist to allow someone to tank are generally ineffective (like Knight's Challenge). Same thing with "punisher tank" builds that try to AoO defend people due to the insane ease of Tumble DCs, or alternate modes of transportation (Flight, Blink, Earthglide, etc).

Now if you mean "Tank" in a more historical context of "Armored thing that can bust through Artillery in order to break open a stalemate", you might get closer to the truth of the matter. Though I wouldn't call out the Fighter as the best one for that. With only one good save and otherwise no unique defenses... eh. I'd pick out Paladins for that over Fighters, as the Paladin does have a handful of unique features making them more suited towards it (Mount for higher speed mobility, good saves/save bonuses, unique source of SR, ability to cause decently damaging charge damage, quick recovery with some minor spell boosts in case someone tries to cut you off at the knees)

mohammed315
2013-06-11, 11:27 PM
I'm sorry, the term "tank" came to me naturally, because of my videogaming days.

What I mean is that in our group, we have a lot of easily squishable individuals. Apart from the wizard, our warmage have a tendency to get to low hp, same thing for the monk. So my idea was to get a fighter who would go in melee, because right now, our most fragile characters had great chances of going in melee, whether they wanted it or not (this is why my archivist died)

Anyway, I'll follow the barbarian 2/ fighter 6 with zentharim soldier at 3 and 5

Having a Fighter -> Zhent ACFs, into something like a Scarlet Corsair PrC can be fun. Won't be "OMG!" effective. But you will have a lot of fear on the table, and be able to fear lock entire areas at once.

From what I can read, one of the prerequisite would be to get one level of rogue, to be able to perform sneak attack. Should I take it in the first levels of my build, or later?

As for everybody mentionning the Tome of Battle, my DM kind of recommended us not to use it, for the sake of not slowing down the game. For the majority of the group, it's their first adventure, and for me, it would be the first time using the stances, effectively slowing the game to the speed of a dying snail, so there's that.

We had a ranger in the group, focused on range. She was killed last game too. Considering we have a full caster, the warmage and the warpriest, is it really necessary to replace it, or are we better leaving the range to casters, the non-casters focusing on melee?

Thanks again to you all for the answers, it's good to have some useful tips from you.

P.S. I'll keep in mind the build for half minotaur, just can't use it in my current game, but VERY interesting to use in other conditions

ArcturusV
2013-06-11, 11:31 PM
Or you could take the Fighter ACF and Thug Variant (Which oddly DO stack explicitly last I read despite both of them trading your Fighter Bonus Feats for Sneak Attack...), trading your Bonus feats for Sneak Attack.

Though to be honest I'm not sure how that'd work with the Zhent ACFs, if you would be locked out of them, or if you'd trade your Sneak Attack that level for the ACF.

Gavinfoxx
2013-06-11, 11:47 PM
Here are some fighter variants that you should look into:

Zhentarim Soldier (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a)
Thug (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#fighterVariantThug)
Dungeon Crusher (Dungeonscape)
Hit and Run Tactics (Drow of the Underdark)
Physical Prowess (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20061013a)
Skilled City Dweller, Ride for Tumble (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a)
Exoticist (Dragon Magazine #310)

With as many of those as stack (they don't all stack), Fighter is an okay melee combat class.

mabriss lethe
2013-06-12, 12:06 AM
I'd recommend some variation on Vern from the Fear Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=3809) It's worth reading the whole thing though if it's unfamiliar territory (especially the bits about demoralization escalation)

Gwendol
2013-06-12, 07:13 AM
Dungeoncrasher fighter with Zhent sub levels is highly recommended.

Prime32
2013-06-12, 08:56 AM
As for everybody mentionning the Tome of Battle, my DM kind of recommended us not to use it, for the sake of not slowing down the game. For the majority of the group, it's their first adventure, and for me, it would be the first time using the stances, effectively slowing the game to the speed of a dying snail, so there's that.That's understandable. Printing out the maneuver cards (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20061225a) is a big help though, especially for a crusader. Even if you don't plan on using it, you should point them out to your DM.

EDIT: If you want to be hard to kill, you could try playing a warforged and taking the Adamantine Body feat at 1st level. You get a racial Con bonus, damage reduction, and a bunch of immunities. Later you can enter the warforged juggernaut PrC, which is practically made for dungeoncrasher fighters.
A dungeoncrasher fighter 6/warforged juggernaut 5 could make a charging bull rush that also deals 10d6+1d8 damage, plus 4x his Str modifier.

Immabozo
2013-06-12, 03:43 PM
P.S. I'll keep in mind the build for half minotaur, just can't use it in my current game, but VERY interesting to use in other conditions

Thank you. Was very effective in my game. The DM was shocked that I had interactions after swinging.

But a fighter that is size large, maybe even with a reach weapon, with the casters inside his reach, anyone moving to attack the caster provokes an AoO and then knockback bullrush them away!

A Human, with Willing Deformity: tall, and a spiked chain has a reach of 20', or a large creature, with War Shaper and then a spiked chain can get a 25' reach. Maybe War Hulk to hit multiple squares, or a full-on War Hulk Build to hit EVERY square.

The fighter can do a lot. The Feats are very flexible and you can make a VERY solid "Tank" (in both above definitions) with proper feat usage. Tactics are as equally important as the build. Can you fight in a funnel with your tank in front? Make your tank a large size race, cast enlarge on him. He is the biggest, most visually threatening thing on the battlefield and archers and mages, warriors, low intelligence animals and mindless undead all alike will give him their attention. Give him battlefield control, like my knockback build and him literally throwing people around the battlefield with a +60 or more bullrush, you will have a LOT of attention.

Attention the mages will appreciate not having.

Huge, plus a warshaper dip (if you can qualify for it) and a spiked chain gives a 30' reach. Throw in 4 levels of War Hulk, that's +8 str and hitting 3 squares with all attacks. 10 levels of war hulk, thats +20 str, hitting all squares you threaten, which is 30', with cleave and then great cleave, the hits will keep on coming. In a crowded battlefield, doing thousands of damage, spread out over 30 or 40 guys.

All very threatening. I'll say that is a BIG disadvantage to not paying attention to the tank. And while you are paying attention to him, with his, easily 50-60 strength, he can burst through your artillery, or bust the bunker, under the bunker he just busted.

A good build is as important as strategy, which requires a little teamwork.

EDIT: And this guy can take hits, with a high AC (my build got up to 44 or 45 AC when I was playing it, granted my DM was making stupid houserules and giving us over-powerful items to make us want to continue his campaign, which he had to make more stupid house rules next week to counter) high HP with high con and almost every level is a D12 HD, with (I had) 6 AoO with a +26 to hit (at low teens levels) and a +50 bullrush, very few people not range are gonna have a CHANCE to hit you.

And Steadfast Determination made my +30 fort saves not fail on a one (Its fun to laugh at the DM when he tells me to make a fort save) and my Will save became +21. So life was good! haha

Tuki Tuki
2013-06-12, 08:36 PM
Go half ogre/neanderthal. No matter what you do thats a base of 32 str if you rolled an 18. That can come in mega handy:smallsmile:

Immabozo
2013-06-12, 09:50 PM
Go half ogre/neanderthal. No matter what you do thats a base of 32 str if you rolled an 18. That can come in mega handy:smallsmile:

Depends which Half Ogre you are taking about. The one from Races of Destiny is a race in itself, there is no "designating the other half", but the one from Dragon Mag is a template and can be put on any race, and if you are using that one, you might as well use half minotaur too, still a LA of only +1 with higher stats.

I would love to see both templates approved in full, put on a gnome, would make a large character with a LA +2 and str +20, dex -4, con +10, -4 int, -2 cha, NA +9, Gore for 1D8 + 1/2 str, dark vision 60, giant blood, and a few other abilities. AND you can put that on a human for the extra feat and skills! Or on a race that gets dex, int or cha to help fill in the holes.

EDIT: War Hulk 10, for a +40 str, Barbarian 1 (whirling ACF) for another +4 str when raging, Bear Warrior 1 to up that to +8 str when raging, and +4 con, +2 dodge bonus to AC and +2 NA and an extra attack when raging, War Shaper 2 for +4 Str, +4 con.

Roughly level 19 (including LA) for +52 str, +18 con, +11 NA, +2 dodge bonus, 9 BAB, but using the skilled weapon enhancement makes it +12 BAB, with a two hander, while raging.

Assuming an 18 base str, that gives a 70 str, for +45/+45/+40/+35, for (using a huge Skilled Minotaur Greathammer +5) 4D6 +45 19-20 x4, power attack, leap attack, combat brute, Armbands of Might and knockback, add another +50 damage, and then a knockback bull rush of D20 +84 = +50 (power attack) + 30 (str) + 4 (size), then, since you will beat anyone by at least 50, thats 10 squares, +10 to hit and damage next turn.

Better find a way to keep up with how far you're throwing them! Speed of 40 will let you charge 80 feet, the feat to increase speed by 5 lets you charge 90, so you should be fine with keeping up with them for quite a distance, but you can bull rush them in best case scenario (they get a 1 and you get 20, with bonuses, they get a 1 and you get a 104, thats 5' + 5' per 5 that you beat their bullrush) 105'. So you better find a little more speed! Pounce is easily gotten through that Barbarian 1.

Average damage 107 per hit, + bonuses for bullrush

mohammed315
2013-07-02, 02:18 PM
Okay so I had the opportunity of trying my new build, barbarian 2/fighter 6 with dungeoncrasher/zhent variant included.

Now, what are the good prestiges classes for a chaotic neutral fighter? The majority of the one I saw have "lawful" as a requirement. Death Delver seems nice, but the BAB is a little low. Pious Templar could be nice too, I just don't know this one too well. Incarnum blade seems nice but the fact that we would have to add more rules to the world is kind of a problem.

So yet again, I refer to you, experts of the forums.

Immabozo
2013-07-02, 02:51 PM
War Hulk is very fun, but requires size large (which I do not believe you are, or are you?)

oh, right, book restrictions....

Which books are you restricted to? Or was that another thread?

Bear Warrior (CW) could be fun. Full BAB and more mileage out of your rage, assuming you are using whirling ACF. A RAW argument might have to be made. A bear warrior gets the stated bonuses to rage. As a separate thought, the CAN turn into a bear when raging, but the bonuses to rage are not dependent on actually BEING a bear. Even if it is a 1 level dip, this is a great bonus.

From a 1 level dip in Bear Warrior, you are now eligible for Warshaper (CW). Immune to crits, +4str, +4 con, 5 feet longer reach, ability to grow not natural to your form, natural attacks, fast healing 2, ability to make concentration checks to heal 10, the fifth level is useless to you.

Darth Stabber
2013-07-02, 05:57 PM
I don't know where this idea that you need a BSF comes from. The party I am currently gming for is extraordinarily "squishy" by the standard metrics for such things, and they are maybe mid op. The toughest member of the party (in terms of hp and ac) is an unarmed swordsage and the highest strength is the sorceress's 10. They routinely blast through encounters well above their effective party level, and by blast I mean mostly the sorc, dread necro, and psion debuff and crowd control, while the swordsage, assassin and various summons/undead minions cut them up. Don't get me wrong, BSFs can be boon party members, but they are hardly as mandatory as people seem to think. Nothing is truely as mandatory as people seem think, you can work around almost anything missing, missing arcanist: doable, missing skillmonkey: doable, and missing divine caster: doable.

Immabozo
2013-07-02, 08:49 PM
I don't know where this idea that you need a BSF comes from. The party I am currently gming for is extraordinarily "squishy" by the standard metrics for such things, and they are maybe mid op. The toughest member of the party (in terms of hp and ac) is an unarmed swordsage and the highest strength is the sorceress's 10. They routinely blast through encounters well above their effective party level, and by blast I mean mostly the sorc, dread necro, and psion debuff and crowd control, while the swordsage, assassin and various summons/undead minions cut them up. Don't get me wrong, BSFs can be boon party members, but they are hardly as mandatory as people seem to think. Nothing is truely as mandatory as people seem think, you can work around almost anything missing, missing arcanist: doable, missing skillmonkey: doable, and missing divine caster: doable.

not mandatory, but some people enjoy it, sometimes as a change, sometimes as a preference. And just cause they generally aren't the greatest, if you know how to build one, they can shine despite casters. I've done it

Darth Stabber
2013-07-03, 01:32 AM
not mandatory, but some people enjoy it, sometimes as a change, sometimes as a preference. And just cause they generally aren't the greatest, if you know how to build one, they can shine despite casters. I've done it

I have done it too, with a charger, with a tripper, with a bearwarrior grappler/charger, and with a warblade. The point wasn't BSF sucks, the point was that it's absence isn't going to cripple a party, and you shouldn't be one just because your party doesn't have one.

Immabozo
2013-07-03, 02:12 AM
I have done it too, with a charger, with a tripper, with a bearwarrior grappler/charger, and with a warblade. The point wasn't BSF sucks, the point was that it's absence isn't going to cripple a party, and you shouldn't be one just because your party doesn't have one.

For that matter, you shouldn't be anything just cause your party doesn't have it. Play what you are gonna enjoy!!

Also, I have figured out what you are referring to, but I am unfamiliar with the term "BSF" what does it stand for?

TuggyNE
2013-07-03, 05:39 AM
Also, I have figured out what you are referring to, but I am unfamiliar with the term "BSF" what does it stand for?

Big Stupid Fighter.

Immabozo
2013-07-03, 11:20 AM
Big Stupid Fighter.

thats hilarious. Thanks

Darth Stabber
2013-07-03, 07:31 PM
Big Stupid Fighter.

Actually the original definition was big sword fighter.

TuggyNE
2013-07-03, 09:00 PM
Actually the original definition was big sword fighter.

That may well be, but language changes, and almost every usage I've seen was as indicated.

Similarly, "lieutenant" used to mean "a renter who could stand in for his landlord in certain functions", but that's not what it means these days. :smallwink:

Immabozo
2013-07-04, 04:24 AM
That may well be, but language changes, and almost every usage I've seen was as indicated.

Similarly, "lieutenant" used to mean "a renter who could stand in for his landlord in certain functions", but that's not what it means these days. :smallwink:

But I could see how the etymology led from one to the other. Some are completely random, like something meaning a small green pea to rocketship (not a real example, but one made up for the sake of making a point.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-10-22, 03:21 PM
two fighters I often like when building fighters due to their feats is:

1: The Reach Weapon Fighter, Keeping your enemies at length while you rack up damage on them etc. need to take short haft of course for tight spaces but can be a lot of fun.

2: The mobility Fighter, this one is fun with the right gear. taking feats like vexing flanker and karmic strike so when your hit you hit back and have combat reflexes so you can Oppurtunity Attack a lot. Move around the battle field taking feats to buff your AC against Opp attacks, making the monsters use up their Opp attacks in the round on you instead of your squishier party members. Would add barbarian into this for Fast Movement.

Eldariel
2016-10-22, 03:36 PM
1: The Reach Weapon Fighter, Keeping your enemies at length while you rack up damage on them etc. need to take short haft of course for tight spaces but can be a lot of fun.

Short Haft isn't actually that necessary; Spiked Chain or some close range non-handed secondary weapon (generally either Unarmed Strikes or Armor Spikes) works fine. But yeah, far as power goes, this tends to be the best way to run a Fighter. Get Enlarged, enjoy your 20' threatened range and make sure everything provokes while still maintaining very impressive two-handed power attack charge game.

Kaje
2016-10-22, 04:42 PM
Why would you resurrect a 3 year old thread?

Manyasone
2016-10-22, 07:57 PM
It's fun. For this very reason I'm looking into a dragoon type build