PDA

View Full Version : Playing an undead character

Cheiromancer
2013-06-11, 01:51 PM
What are your experiences of playing an undead character, or having them as PC's in your campaign? They have a ton of immunities, but also a lot of vulnerabilities. How do they fare? What house rules are needed (if any) to keep things fun?

Rhynn
2013-06-11, 02:14 PM
Well, I've played Vampire: the Masquerade, and the undead seemed to fit in great.

Did you mean to post this in the D&D 3.X forum, maybe?

Hyena
2013-06-11, 02:23 PM
It's a lot of fun to role-play undead in the group of living. Even those who desperately want to find common ground with you are often alienated by conversations like "Hi, I brought you some food", "Thanks, but my intestines are rotting", and those, who do not like undead to begin with start to bully him for his differences. That character was one of my best and I am very fond of the campaign we had. It was tons of fun... And tons of hate, agnst and other cool stuff as well.
And we're assuming here that undead can be of any aligment, not inherently evil...

Waar
2013-06-11, 02:29 PM
What system?
In systems actually desigend to host undead PCs (such as the vapmire: the masquerade/requiem) you will have few problems.
Also, what ton of immunities? :smallconfused: Not needing to breathe is usefull, but a part from that and posion resistance/immunity the undead don't sport that many outright immunities (feeding concerns vary by undead :smalltongue:)

Apart from that i do have experience with playing an undead PC in VtM and it worked fine with some minor house rules (nerfing celerity)

Cheiromancer
2013-06-11, 02:46 PM
My go-to game system is 3.5, but I started playing with 2nd edition. Mechanical concerns would be mostly 3.5 related (although any of the D&D brands would have similar issues), but roleplaying questions would be anywhere where characters are typically alive.

But yeah, it would fit better in the other forum.

BWR
2013-06-11, 02:56 PM
the undead don't sport that many outright immunities (feeding concerns vary by undead :smalltongue:)

Barring crit/sneak attack immunities (At least in 3.0/3.5). I've heard that's useful. :smallwink:

ImperiousLeader
2013-06-11, 04:02 PM
I played a halfling vampire in 4e. I actually decided I was a human child vampire, but used halfling racial stats. It was fun, I got to be delightfully creepy and twisted, and freaked out my party members and DM.

The Fury
2013-06-11, 11:10 PM
I haven't personally but I know someone who did. His character was under a curse which made her undead but outwardly appeared human unless she got injured or was subjected to healing spells (which rapidly caused her to decompose.) The character was understandably freaked out by this and the body horror side of it was played up for all it was worth. This character was also a bit of a drunk, and being undead and now lacking a metabolism was no longer able to enjoy getting a drink. The character's arc was naturally about getting this curse removed.

paladinofu.s.a
2013-06-13, 09:46 AM
Well in one of my campaigns (that I'm not running) the main spell caster is a necromancer and has the summon undead III spell which he uses a lot so naturally battles go by fast so one house rule is he can't use it more than once in a battle