PDA

View Full Version : What uses can you get out of a Dead huge dragon?

killem2
2013-06-11, 02:05 PM
My party has successfully dragged the remains of a Huge Dragon for nearly 8 days to the town to which conscripted us to vanquish it. :smallbiggrin:

What should we ask for? Money? Skinning? :smallconfused:

gurgleflep
2013-06-11, 02:07 PM
My party has successfully dragged the remains of a Huge Dragon for nearly 8 days to the town to which conscripted us to vanquish it. :smallbiggrin:

Dragon scales can make good armor, their stomach acids are powerful and could be used for quite a few things (acid bombs anybody?), their claws and teeth could make a few interesting things (weapons and armor, I think. Don't recall what exactly), etc. Really, there's quite a few things that could be done with it, use your imagination! :smallbiggrin:

Gerrtt
2013-06-11, 02:09 PM
I feel like complete warrior had rules in it for how to use dragon teeth/scales/hides/claws to augment your equipment.

killem2
2013-06-11, 02:12 PM
If it matters, it was a white one, I don't know the age :(.

gurgleflep
2013-06-11, 02:13 PM
If it matters, it was a white one, I don't know the age :(.

You could always ask your DM.
Also, white dragonscale armor may grant a bonus to hide in snowy regions! :smalltongue:

AmberVael
2013-06-11, 02:15 PM
I bet a necromancer would pay good money for it. :smallamused:

unseenmage
2013-06-11, 02:15 PM
http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Gentle_Repose

Then make it the best Animated Object evar!

gorfnab
2013-06-11, 02:16 PM
Dragon Mag #332 has an article called "Cutting Up the Dragon" which has a neat list of things to make out of dragon parts.

PlusSixPelican
2013-06-11, 02:16 PM
Besides an undead dragon?

As mentioned, scales for armor, claws make good weapons, the bones make for a good museum donation, the meat can be sold to eccentric people who eat dragonflesh, and the various non-meaty parts can be sold to spellcasters, alchemists, et al.

You sow the teeth into the earth and get a bunch of loyal spartoi. Weed out the weaklings (or not) and found Thebes. Boom. You're the queen of Thebes now. You're welcome.

malmblad
2013-06-11, 02:17 PM
As a GM I would expect my players to

A. Use as much of the body as possible for trophies, spell components and exotic armor/weapon materials

B. Find a way to re-animate it, hopefully under their control.

C. Turn it into an epic sized puppet for some hairbrained money making scheme. (actually this is probably what I would do as a player)

gurgleflep
2013-06-11, 02:17 PM
Undead dragon minion. Go that route! I'm agreeing with the necromancer and gentle repose idea! :smallbiggrin:

Raven777
2013-06-11, 02:18 PM
Animate it. Skeletal Dragon Mount: for the Wizard who wants to ride with style.

Note that you can still get all the other cool stuff like scales and stomach acid and heart and eyes. You just want to keep the bones/claws/teeth/horns.

A_S
2013-06-11, 02:21 PM
Only sad part is that zombie dragons are much better than skeletal dragons (they keep their fly speeds, for one thing). You could probably argue that the corpse is still intact enough for zombification after skinning and extracting some juices, though...

The Viscount
2013-06-11, 04:34 PM
You sow the teeth into the earth and get a bunch of loyal spartoi. Weed out the weaklings (or not) and found Thebes. Boom. You're the queen of Thebes now. You're welcome.

Very classy. Or should I say classical?

I believe there's a Dragonbone Bow in Draconomicon.

killem2
2013-06-11, 04:34 PM
Thanks for the replies.

What are your thoughts on using this as a tool for diplomacy?

We were not TOLD to bring the corpse, my C/N scottish sounding dungeon crasher was very determined that we bring it so he could flex his ***. :P

Shining Wrath
2013-06-11, 04:41 PM
No one has mentioned dragon burgers yet, so I will.

However: I would, as a DM, consider eating any sentient being to be cannibalism. Good humans don't eat elves, or dwarves, or orcs, or dragons, etc.

Aside from weapons and necromancy and magical components, I think the skeleton of a huge dragon posted outside the city gates is the best "don't even THINK about messing with us" sign imaginable. The city elders may want it for that alone.

Aside from that, if they treat you rudely, dump it in the water supply for the city. It won't be long before they will pay any price to have it removed.

PlusSixPelican
2013-06-11, 04:57 PM
the meat can be sold to eccentric people who eat dragonflesh

I said it.

Anyways, there's a lot of uses. I refer back to my previous mention of spartoi.

Any sentient? Pff. Cannibalism is within the same species noms, not the eating of humans or sentients. Common error.

Humans eating elves, while disturbing, isn't cannibalism.

Shining Wrath
2013-06-11, 05:18 PM
I said it.

Anyways, there's a lot of uses. I refer back to my previous mention of spartoi.

Any sentient? Pff. Cannibalism is within the same species noms, not the eating of humans or sentients. Common error.

Humans eating elves, while disturbing, isn't cannibalism.

I should have said it's MORALLY equivalent to cannibalism. Ogres do it, nice people don't.

PlusSixPelican
2013-06-11, 05:27 PM
I should have said it's MORALLY equivalent to cannibalism. Ogres do it, nice people don't.

There aren't nice Ogres? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrek_(franchise)) Also, nice =/= personal ethics, especially on this. Watch like, Silence of the Lambs or something.

I apologize in advance for the movie reffing.

ArcturusV
2013-06-11, 05:34 PM
Custom Grafting? I think there was a homebrew class on this forum that made use of ripping apart monsters to attach abilities/parts to other people. Why not go with it? "I put a Dragon jaw on your stomach... you're welcome!"

It's very much in the realm of Mad Wizard of course.

Considering everything else that gets made into Golems... Golemancy might be a way to go. Make the Dragon Digestive Tract Golem. Dragon Dewclaw Golem. Chattering Dragon Skull Golem.

Ezra_The_Mad
2013-06-11, 06:52 PM
ArcturusV is probably referring to the xenoalchemist, a mad-doktor homebrew class by Kellus that he made because the graft system made him cry himself to sleep.

I'm with those suggesting dragonscale armor, dragonclaw swords/spears, ridiculously good spell components, and a zombie dragon you can fly around. Did i mention that after declawing and defanging it, you should sell a few of them, and use the profits to have adamantine teeth/claws/scales forged? Raise it as a zombie and call it Deathwing.

Gildedragon
2013-06-11, 06:58 PM
There is such a thing as draconic grafts.
I would recommend perusing dragon magic and the draconomicon (though I think it is races of the dragon that has the grafts)

Telonius
2013-06-11, 07:39 PM
Here's some possibilities from a noted authority.

Dragon liver can cure a cold
Dragon powder grows hair
With dragon blood you'll never grow old
Every item is covered with gold
Every item is covered with gold

Every little piece
Every little piece
Dragon, you're my wagon to destiny; you're the key
Every little shred moving me ahead
Every dream of mine will be fulfilled
What a dragon business we can build

Dragon cartilage keeps you thin
Dragon fat is for burns
A dragon tear will clear up your skin

Watch the profits come rolling in...

Saintheart
2013-06-11, 08:54 PM
The Draconomicon, pp. 115-116 has rules for dragon corpses.

It's not as impressive as you might think. Four Medium suits of banded mail armour out of a Huge dragon corpse. Armour made out of dragonhide is immune to the breath attack of the dragon whose hide it came from, e.g. armour out of a red dragon's hide has immunity to [fire], but it doesn't convey that immunity to the wearer. Good to know that if you've got a jerk of a DM who rolls for damage against your items as well as you, the red dragon's breath can burn you to a crisp but your armour will be A-OK, just like Duck Dodgers' Disintegration-Proof Vest. (If you have the Dragoncraft feat, you can get a piddling 5 energy resistance to go to the wielder which doesn't stack with any other source. (Or make a cloak that does the same).)

Dragon's teeth or claws also make for crappy weapons. As Dragoncraft items, they can be made into swords ... with a colossal +1 hitpoint in energy damage depending on the type of dragon they came from. Whoopee. Oh well, at least you can make 12 of them. And a Dragonbone Bow really just adds +20 feet to your range increment, which might be marginally useful for some unfortunate ranged archery type who desperately has to avoid a -2 for the hobgoblin standing 130 feet away when he could just walk forward 20 feet and eliminate the -2.

There's also Blood Elixirs, which are probably the best of the dragoncraft items, but a white dragon will only give you a potion of icewalking as the white dragon's ability. Again, whoopee.

Lateral
2013-06-11, 09:12 PM

Alternatively, use them to impress a king into giving you the Golden Fleece. That's right. You can found Thebes, or you can be an Argonaut. Your choice.

killem2
2013-06-12, 12:38 PM

Is this in a book or something I'm not sure what all this is. :smallconfused:

gurgleflep
2013-06-12, 12:45 PM

Thebes is a Greek city, IIRC. I don't know any stories about it though. :smallsigh:

Shining Wrath
2013-06-12, 01:04 PM

Just in case this is NOT snark: Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason) Check out what happens in Colchis.

Krobar
2013-06-12, 02:29 PM
Resurrect it and make a new friend.

Lateral
2013-06-12, 03:53 PM

Greek myth. Basically, Cadmus (the mythical Phoenician who founded Thebes) slew a dragon that was sacred to Ares, and Athena gave him half the teeth and told him to sow them. The teeth turned into warriors, but Cadmus threw a rock at them and they all started killing each other over who threw the rock until there were only five left, who helped him found Thebes. Later, Jason was forced to plant the other half by the king of Colchis, and he made them all kill each other by throwing another rock at them. They weren't exactly the brightest people.

Zahhak
2013-06-12, 03:58 PM

Pelican, why is it everytime I see something you wrote I smirk or laugh?

killem2
2013-06-12, 06:00 PM
Resurrect it and make a new friend.

Can I ask how you do that with an evil dragon, and you happen to be the party that killed it and its child?

unseenmage
2013-06-12, 06:03 PM
Can I ask how you do that with an evil dragon, and you happen to be the party that killed it and its child?

One assumes that's what Hats of Disguise and wondrous items of untyped Bluff bonuses are for.

JaronK
2013-06-12, 06:35 PM
My favorite usage, if it's old enough, is Animate Dead + Spell Stitching. Note that you have to pump up the Wisdom score first. But dragons have special rules for Animate Dead (see Draconomicon) that make them much better, especially if they have more than 20 HD.

JaronK

Vaz
2013-06-12, 07:02 PM
Zombie Dragons.

Then open up the Libris Mortis and look at the variant zombies. Namely, the Fast Zombies to help with their action economy.

Hire a spellcaster to Empower + Maximise Awaken Undead.

Cirrylius
2013-06-12, 07:10 PM
OOoohh. Chances are the... gooey bits aren't going to be in any shape to utilize for crafting. Otherwise I would have suggested porting in the Ultimate Campaign rules for getting Magic resources from heavily magical creatures.

You sow the teeth into the earth and get a bunch of loyal spartoi.
See, this^ never made sense to me. If you plant dragon's teeth you should get dragons. Stands to reason.

Man on Fire
2013-06-12, 07:14 PM

Wizard should make a flying home out of it with giant TIER 1 sing sticking out of the roof.

gurgleflep
2013-06-12, 07:34 PM
Wizard should make a flying home out of it with giant TIER 1 sing sticking out of the roof.

Do you mean something along the lines of this?
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn155/neora5/Artix/AQW%20Doomknights/Sepulchure/Flying%20Fortress/15.png

Krobar
2013-06-12, 11:42 PM

Simple. Grab up your Rod of Resurrection, resurrect it, and assure it that it can either become your friend in which case you also will resurrect its child and they can both profit from the relationship, or you can always just kill it again and feed its child's heart to stray dogs, and you'll make drinking horns from its bones.

DigoDragon
2013-06-13, 07:32 AM

After 8 days, I'd be inclined to ask for an air freshner. :smallbiggrin:

My players generally don't do much with dragon corpses. They usually sell scales and bones to make some money. In my opinion, I can see some prestige in hauling a dead dragon to town for advertising your party's ability to get the job done.

graymachine
2013-06-13, 08:06 AM
Gentle Repose for freshness until you can find a caster with the entire Corpse-crafted feat tree that can also Spell Stitch. Pay for all this and enjoy clearing dungeons with the party's new pet. Alternatively, you can sell the buffed out Dragon Zombie to a larger city that can afford your exorbinent price.

killem2
2013-06-13, 08:19 AM
That's true :), but I have a charisma of 3, so I doubt they are able to smell the dragon over me :smallyuk::smallyuk:

either way, I really don't care if we get anything out of it, but I'm giving ideas to some of the other people so they can run with it. I plan on going right to the bar.

Martial_law
2013-06-15, 12:21 AM
I usually play in low magic campaigns, so we break down all the parts of the things we kill, Id suggest making it into a boat, shoulder blades as massive oars, the wings as sails, the dragon mouth as a maidenhead

almightycoma
2013-06-15, 11:25 PM
Use it as decoration in your base of operations. throne of bones and a taxidermy skull adorning the apex of your entryway make a strong statement.

SarahV
2013-06-15, 11:44 PM
...the dragon mouth as a maidenhead

:smalleek:

I think you meant a figurehead... I hope...